[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people shit on this game so much? It's exactly like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 27
File: Golden_Sun_Dark_Dawn.jpg (98 KB, 256x229) Image search: [Google]
Golden_Sun_Dark_Dawn.jpg
98 KB, 256x229
Why do people shit on this game so much? It's exactly like the original Golden Sun, just slightly better.
>>
File: joshua.png (4 KB, 174x192) Image search: [Google]
joshua.png
4 KB, 174x192
>>320529038
Not quite, although I agree that Dark Dawn is damn good and undeserving of its hate, especially with how gorgeous its character designs and music are.

Dark Dawn was a lot easier from a puzzle design aspect and also featured points of no return, which is perhaps its biggest crime and one of the worst problems with it. In an RPG with an overworld, wouldn't it be great to be able to backtrack if you so desire? And with that comes complaints about it being more linear than previous games. To be honest, I like that aspect of it, but I can see why it would frustrate fans.
>>
>>320529339
I'd personally take linear design and less "difficult" puzzles over GS 1 & 2's fucking atrocious design (tedious and repetitive dungeons, "freedom" that amounts to the same linearity with no direction, etc), but I get the point.

If Camelot could actually make strong turn based RPGs instead of Strategy RPGs and Sports games I would encourage them going after Lost She's more "open" design with a few simultaneously available core conflicts to tackle, but they've proven across three games that they can't deal with nonlinear progression (at least not well).
>>
>>320529038
The new style just looks worse than the previous games, especially when using summons it looks awful. The story is completely silly, having retarded twists and turns and oh look Alex is back and hey there's two entirely new elements and a militaristic continent in the sky and all this random shit that end in a furry Marrie Sue fixing a problem that has nothing to do with anything the game was setting up for in the first half.

Add to that fewer puzzles, less areas to explore, no backtracking of any description and actually getting locked out of previously visited areas after railroaded plot segments (oops, you went left here? We'll you progressed the story and can't go back and see what was to the right now, sorry!)

Allround it's not a bad game but mediocre just doesn't cut it.
>>
Dark Dawn really gets good in the last third of the game, but holy shit those points of no return were garbage. The plot also takes a long time to get going, and the glider was a garbage plot element. Also, very disappointing to see them pull shit like that furry kingdom out of their ass when they already had the wind werewolves from TLA to draw upon.

That said, it was still fun and yeah, I would put right around or slightly below the original GS.
>>
Is Golden Sun dead? New game when?
>>
>>320529038
All that fucking unnecessary dialogue killed it for me. Golden Sun was pretty bad for it, and JRPG's in general do it a lot, but Dark Dawn was horrible. It felt like they had to reiterate every bit of dialogue three or four times
>>
>>320529038
WORDSWORDSWORDS
>>
>>320530386
If wind werewolves are a thing, what's wrong with another new animal race?
>>
>>320530610
Nothing, but they established this gigantic fucking kingdom that really didn't make a lot of sense, given the time between TLA and DD. It just didn't feel consistent with the setting of the original games.

Thankfully that's also where the game goes from okay to good, so I don't have a huge problem with it.
>>
>>320530150
>The story is completely silly, having retarded twists and turns and oh look Alex is back and hey there's two entirely new elements and a militaristic continent in the sky and all this random shit that end in a furry Marrie Sue fixing a problem that has nothing to do with anything the game was setting up for in the first half.
You say this like the first two are any better. Sheba didn't get any real payoff in those after her backstory was pushed in both entries, Babi was entirely redundant, most of both parts was meaningless fluff that exists to justify each as being a "full game", and let deus ex machina rock saves the day after being a cunt.

Every Golden Sun has TERRIBLE dialogue and plotting, but I feel like each successive entry improves universally over the last as a standalone game (except Air's Rock in TLA, holy FUCK.)
>>
>>320529038
I think what really put me off was that the main quest was a simple repair mission and the actual "Dark Dawn" didn't show up until like the last few hours.

Then it wants to end on a cliffhanger of all things.
>>
>>320530610
The wind werewolves had a fairly specific backstory to them, regurgitating that shit and adding it to the whole "yea it wasn't just lemurians that are this ancient race hiding from the world, there's actually like half a dozen more :^)" just devalued all the previous worldbuilding, it no longer felt consistent and coherent with new reveals typically being hinted at a long time before by people like Kraden, but new shit just coming out of nowhere,

Gives you, the player, the idea that anything can happen at any time now, and events will just occur from thin air meaning there was little point in getting involved in the story or world, they were just making shit up as they went.
>>
>>320530932
as a newfag Im kind of understanding v now

>if the game is popular then v says is shit to piss people off
>if the game is shit then v says is great to piss people off
>>
>>320530939
>I think what really put me off was that the main quest was a simple repair mission and the actual "Dark Dawn" didn't show up until like the last few hours.
You mean like how the Golden Sun didn't even get a namedrop until TLA's final boss?

>Then it wants to end on a cliffhanger of all things.
You mean like the original?

I honestly feel like everything people dislike Dark Dawn for are things present in the originals that they've never noticed, either due to nostalgia or the fact that they needed to see it three times before finally catching on.
>>
File: 1383947913769.jpg (34 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1383947913769.jpg
34 KB, 500x333
>>320530932
>Air's Rock
Please don't remind me of that wretched place anon.
>>
>>320530932
The first two had solid writing though it was very "videogamey" in the sense that most of the dialogue hinted toward future events or where to go and what to do, with a bunch of fluff in between, characters got just enough dialogue to flesh them out as a person in the world having motives and lives to live.

>Sheba didn't get any payoff,
I'm not sure where you got the idea that there was some amazing payoff to be had? Most of her early characterization was merely justification as to why a random girl not from Vale had access to adept powers, and her presence was required for the Jupiter lighthouse, more payoff than that wasn't really ever implied.

>Deus ex machina rock saves the day after being a cunt
Stop using words if you don't understand their meaning, the "deus ex machina" rock was an established entity and it did exactly what you were told it's purpose was, I'm not even remotely sure how you could even be surprised by it's actions, both it's overwhelming power and role in the world were well known if you paid any attention.

>Babi was redundant
More words you seem to not understand, what exactly was redundant about Babi? He is a typical background character used to build the world as a believable place, are you suggesting worldbuilding is irrelevant in an RPG? Are you out of your damn mind?
>>
>>320531560
Air's rock was amazing you pleb.

>>320531349
Next you might get some understanding of basic human interaction
>If someone makes a claim, especially one with little substance, people will challenge it
>>
File: seriosulybro.jpg (13 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
seriosulybro.jpg
13 KB, 512x384
>>320529038
>It's exactly like the original Golden Sun,

Sort of answered your own question there, pal.

Golden Sun sucked.
>>
>>320530472
Never. Dark Dawn was an absolute bomb, critcally and financially, and Camelot never wanted to make the game in the first place. It's dead and buried after that.
>>
>>320531821
No it didn't.
Golden Sun may have been lacking in the story department, but it made up for it with how Psynergy and Djinn worked and combat in general. Golden Sun was cool in that you actually had a decent number of magic abilities, or psynergy as its called in this game, that you could use outside of battle to interact with the world around you. My favorite of these is the Mind Read ability, which allows you to get two sets of dialogue from a character instead of just one and gives you the feeling of doing something sneaky. The fact that these abilities were used to get farther in the world, from the move psynergy to the mind read psynergy, helped make your abilities have a usage in and outside of battle, unlike most RPGs styled similarly where magic was mostly seperate from the overworld disregarding Cure of course.

Battles are also really fast paced and fun to look at and the music is something unique and fun in itself.
>>
Let's be honest here.

Golden Sun wasn't great, the story was boring, the vast majority of characters were forgettable, and the puzzles were more often than not either so simple they were just pointless time wasters, or so difficult or poorly designed that it made using a guide damn near required.

It has more "that one level that makes you not wanna replay" than any other game one might wanna go back and replay. It's never remotely challenging in the actual fights unless you never learn how OP spamming Djynn's can be, and even if you don't figure that out the fight's just go from being piss easy to "spam my strongest single target Psynergies on three of my party members, and my strongest party heal on the designated healer, until the enemy is dead," with the rare "use an item". You have to go out of your way to make battles actually interesting, and at that point you might as well play another JRPG.

Also the two version bullshit, something I guarentee the typical /v/ poster would be adamantly against if it happened in the present times. Two full priced games with barely any changes between the two mechanically so you can experience one slog of a story, joy.

But we look back at it happily because the faux 3D battles look good for a Gameboy Advance game and the puzzles made us seem smart, even if we were shitting ourselves out of frustration because of shit like Airs Rock.

Games were garbage, anyone who says otherwise hasn't played them in many years or are delusional. This coming from someone who used to drink the Nintendo Power kool-aid and felated Golden Sun like it was my gay lover coming back from Iraq.
>>
>>320532418
>Using a guide was near required
How fucking shite can you be?

>I-I s-suck at the c-combat and just c-cheesed it with d-djin so the c-combat is b-bad!
Oh fuck off buddy, the classes and ways djin interacted with them allow for huge variate and different styles to handle combat made for a more in-depth combat system than most rpg's can match
>B-but it was easy
Then maybe don't play the game on easy you fucking imbecile.
>Also the two version bullshit
Cut the crap, both versions had more than enough content to justify it, the literal only reason it had two versions in the first place is because they couldn't fit the content onto one cartridge, you're just looking for whatever petty excuse you can think of to fling shite now.
>>
>>320532418
>games having sequels that are similar to the first game is a bad thing
You may as well shit on Pokemon while you're at it. And the games are fine. See >>320532368
>>
>>320531689
>"I am God" the Rock, who shows up at the very beginning and end to quickly set up/resolve the plot in the easiest way possible.
>Not Deus ex Machina, not even to the point where we can just call it a briefly foreshadowed instance of it.

>Babi's exceedingly large presence at the end of GS1 meant mostly to push Isaac and co. to find Leumeria.
>Not redundant when they could have been pushed there with far less padding and the payoff to that rather large subplot was "lolhedied".

These alone are pretty funny, but

>Golden Sun
>Solid Writing
>Garet's Mother: "As Garet's mother, I know how Does must be feeling. But I still have Garet's father, while Dora only has Isaac."
>>
>>320532368
But there was no reason not to spam djinn whenever they're not recovering then spam magic as you could get it back by pacing around. That's not good combat design, that's a flowchart.
>>
>>320532418
>Two versions

TLA was a sequel, mate
>>
>>320533064
>TLA was the Season Pass.
Fixed that for ya, m8.
>>
>>320529979
>atrocious design
herf derf games are hard
>>
>>320532948
>Does
Dora.
>>
>>320533252
My ass, Golden Sun is piss easy and that's PART of its shit design. Exploring dungeons is tedious, partly because the layout is usually garbage and partly because enemies are an annoyance instead of a threat.
>>
>>320532948
>Not a deus ex machina
No, look up what the turn means you mongoloid, protip: it's not merely a deity or a godlike/powerful entity.

The fucking rock was set up from the start as a gatekeeper, the only reason you might think he comes "out of nowhere" or w/e is because you probably completely forgot about him, which was exactly the fucking point. This is like saying Jubileus showing up in Bayonetta is a Deus ex Machina, just fuck off with the inane tripe mate.

>Not redundant when they could have been
Redundant means that it was something that was already established, Babi's role was to provide story and detail on the world, the people, Lemuria and events that were unfolding in the area, the fact that he didn't get a happy ending and died (predictably) due to Lemuria not being so easy to reach doesn't make his presence redundant or even unnecessary. The pay-off of that rather large sub-plot is that when you get your ass to Lemuria in Lost Age you're not "what the fuck is this, who the fuck are these, what is going on?!" but instead "oh shit, we got there, I've heard about this, hey it's that guy Babi talked about and these things that he said had happened!"

You don't read much, do you?

>Hurrr durr this one-off sentence proves the writing isn't solid!
Seriously? That's it?
>>
>>320533436
>tedious and annoying features in games
herf derf games are hard
>>
>>320533609
>Turn
Term*
>>
File: 1438873833076.jpg (103 KB, 600x768) Image search: [Google]
1438873833076.jpg
103 KB, 600x768
Jenna was best girl.
But Mia was my favourite.
>>
>>320533436
What do you call struggling with difficult game mechanics anon?

Oh, right, tedious and annoying, please make it all easier and make the game play itself while you're at it, giving the players problems to solve is just tedious and makes everything a chore!

Fuck off.
>>
>>320533815
this anon gets it.
god i wish there was more quality art/fanart of gs characters and less chibi bullshit
>>
>>320533023
There's two Djinn that cut damage received by at least half. You can literally just alternate between setting and activating them every turn and never die.
>>
>>320533201
Yeah, it was the season pass that was twice as long as the original game and had a shitload more content.
>>
That after a six year wait, the series chose to worsen its problems rather than fix the,
>>
File: A fregar puta.gif (2 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
A fregar puta.gif
2 MB, 280x210
>>320529038
>It's exactly like the original Golden Sun, just slightly better.
Is it a bannable offense to open a thread with shitposting?
>>
>>320533632
>>320533829
>Having to mash A while wandering around the tenth consecutive series of hallways that leads to a block pushing puzzle is annoying and unengaging as no challenge is presented.
>YOU HATE IT BECAUSE IT'S HARD!!!

Jesus Christ, fanboys are terrible.
>>
File: 1378153120438.jpg (25 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1378153120438.jpg
25 KB, 640x480
>Would you like to learn how to use Djinn?
YES
>NO

>TOO BAD

Deserves all the hate it gets.
>>
>>320534428
Didn't TLA let you skip the tutorial though?
>>
>>320533609
>One-off sentence
The majority of the game is written that way, anon. Do I seriously have to copy-paste the game script for you? It's like that in Dark Dawn too.
>>
>>320529038
Because people played Golden Sun when they were 10 and didn't realize that the game is balls

Since they were older when they played Dark Dawn they realized the faults.
>>
>>320534562
I'm pretty sure DD is the only one that's unskippable. Makes no sense considering that the Djinni system was exactly the same and there was an in-game datalog anyways.
>>
>>320534428
>What do you think, Isaac? Should we do something stupid that makes no sense?
>No.
>Fuck you, you're dumb!
Every.
Single.
Time.
>>
Is it even possible to lose in these piss-easy shitter games? It's like DD was aware of this, and rehashed Dullahan, the only remotely threatening boss, to prove otherwise.
>>
File: 19-GS0184.png (228 KB, 480x318) Image search: [Google]
19-GS0184.png
228 KB, 480x318
Why was the source of all alchemical power and the potential to change the world guarded by a single unarmed priest?
>>
>>320534302
Game gives you tools to cope, and you're now literally complaining that you had to do stuff in a video game.
>>
Dark Dawn is exactly like the older Golden Suns, yes. People shit on it because they don't want to admit that their love of Golden Sun is entirely fueled by their own nostalgia from a time when they didn't know any better.
>>
>>320534901
Because outsiders who weren't adepts had no chance of getting through the trials and the only people that could were villagers, he was literally only there to keep children and Kraden out.

Also alchemy was locked away so long ago the people guarding it weren't really doing very much guarding in the first place.
>>
Golden Sun depresses me because Mario Tennis and Shining Force are GOAT. How did Camelot fall so far?
>>
>>320534862
And yet they took the time to give Matthew a range of 5 emotions that don't change anything more than a few boxes in response during cutscene.

It fucking pains me that such a nice battle system and lore was wasted on such a bad base game.
>>
>>320532851
>How fucking shite can you be?

If you played both games to moderate completion without ever once needing a guide you either are lying, took fucking forever, or are some sort of psychic vidya god.

>I-I s-suck at the c-combat and just c-cheesed it with d-djin so the c-combat is b-bad!

I-I-I f-f-ff-ake s-s-s-tutter to muh muh muh make you s-s-s-s-s-sound ww-w-w--w-w-wrong!

Also nothing you said actually debated anything I said. You admit djynn spamming was overly effective, and the way to make combat actually interested requires going out of your way to make it so. You might as well say "hurr battles are hard if you just leave 3/4 of your party dead the whole game!"

>Then maybe don't play the game on easy you fucking imbecile.

You mean the easy mode you have to fucking unlock by beating the game before you can play it? You retard.

>Cut the crap, both versions had more than enough content to justify it, the literal only reason it had two versions in the first place is because they couldn't fit the content onto one cartridge, you're just looking for whatever petty excuse you can think of to fling shite now.

I played half assed expansion packs that came out in the same general time frame that added more content and changed things up more than The Lost Age did, no excuse for that I don't care what shit you eat up.

Also Lol at buying the shit about it being "too big". Maybe after they split the games up and added a bunch of half-assed post-game content to both in order to pad it out it was. That's bullshit right up there with "if we make certain pokemon exclusive to different versions, it'll encourage people to get together and trade!" in an era where you can do that shit on the soulless, faceless internet.

>>320532905

At least pokemon sequels have graphical upgrades, add new abilities that do new, interesting things and aren't just "Deal of damage to target with this NEW flashy effect", and other new shit, rather than JUST the other half of a story.
>>
File: MatthewPrecisionFStrike.png (608 KB, 955x717) Image search: [Google]
MatthewPrecisionFStrike.png
608 KB, 955x717
>>320535245
Speaking of emotions, remember the best scene of the game? Cause I sure do.
>>
>>320535120
But three years before that people broke into the sanctum and caused 5 different natural disasters to happen simultaneously presumably killing four people?

Why wouldnt they put more guards there after that incident?
>>
>>320535245
I knew someone would complain about the choice system sooner or later.

I mean good grief most dialogue in GS is worldbuilding and people get irked by the fact that your choice does exactly that.

I mean sure it's subjective, but rather than being
>"Hurrr these choices don't change anything meaningful!"
Why not
>This allows me to see more diversity in how the characters act and react and actually involve the otherwise silent protagonist in the events that occur and have the rest of the party react to it on top of that
>>
>>320535378
I dare anyone to do Air's Rock without a guide on the original hardware. If you fuck up at all, you're looking at an hour. If you fuck up a few times, that shit can escalate fast.
>>
>>320535530
Oh yes, so much diversity in the cast that still somehow manages to have the depth of a puddle of water despite the verbose script.
>>
Getting a sequel soon?
>>
Relevant

http://lparchive.org/Golden-Sun/

>Golden Sun is, second only to Phoenix Wright and every single Pokemon game, the bane of this subforum. Released near the very beginning of the GBA's lifespan, the game initially stunned audiences by virtue of having graphics and audio that were only five years out of date instead of ten.

>The novelty of being able to play a halfway non-horrible game while on a car ride (or, more accurately, while squinting into the GBA screen during a supernova so as to make out the details) led to many ignoring the game's crucial failing: It wasn't particularly good. GS attempted to compensate for its paint-by-numbers storyline by having it take up roughly the amount of space as Finnegan's Wake (and make about as much sense ), the characters are less than one-dimensional, the battle system is so simple that meaningful strategy is impossible and unnecessary, and the game only follows half of its own storyline before making you pay up for the next installment to find out things like, say, the significance of the title. This pacing is never alluded to in-game.

Golden Sun still manages to appeal to our nostalgia, however. Perhaps the shared joy of trying to keep our retinas from bleeding was enough to overshadow its poor pacing and absurdly uneven difficulty, or perhaps the seven different attempts at playing this game can simply be chalked up to masochism.
>>
>>320535812
IIRC the director said that he wouldn't mind doing a sequel, but he wanted to rest up first before doing it.
Somone posted the sauce in another thread a while back and I can't find it.
>>
>>320535378
>If you played both games to moderate completion without ever once needing a guide...
Nigger please, I completed both games just about 100% with all the optional "secret" bosses and carryover bonuses all without a fucking guide.

Didn't even take particularly long, going for 100% in metroid games takes long, this was a couple weekends, the game offers little that you couldn't figure out on your own, the main thing that you would arguably miss is the tornado thing in the original.

>You mean the easy mode you have to fucking unlock
Indeed, play hard mode if it's too easy, or stop relying on crutches like djinspam.
>You admit djin spamming was overly effective
Heyyyy a collectible power-up that makes the game easier, it's almost as if literally every game ever has these things!

>I played half assed expansion packs that...
Sure, I'll bite, name some.

A sequel or expansion doesn't require a complete overhaul you imbecile, it's literally a continuation of the first game, with at least double the content at that, not to mention at the very start of this you complained that it'd take forever to do everything.

We're done here, shitpost elsewhere kid.
>>
>>320535526
Like who? And keep in mind the people of Vale were not aware that there were intruders at the time, the only witnesses Isaac and Garett were knocked out.
>>
>>320535492
I felt the same.
Fuck Alex, what a shit villain.

>>320535530
Because there's several times where the dialogue doesn't even change, and usually agreeing adds nothing (they almost exclusively ignore you or say "yeah, great!") while disagreeing just makes you feel contempt for their condescending asses.

It's okay, but better writing would help.
>>
These are just cute little SNES style games, you don't need a better plot.
>>
That reminds me, I still need to finish my yearly playthrough of the first two books.
I think I left off at the beginning of Book 2.
>>
>>320536154
A lot of the dialogue actually changes (at least I remember it most vividly in the original) where you could constantly piss off Garett by being a contrarian arse with comical results, it just gives some extra detail to the dynamic between the characters with very limited room for it, people already seem to complain that GS is too wordy.
>>
>>320535912
>Somone posted the sauce in another thread a while back and I can't find it.

That makes me sad. :(
>>
>>320536267
Dragon Quest in general has less plot, but does it better. Golden Sun doesn't need to be more complex, it needs someone to write and direct it better.
>>
>>320535637
You're seriously misremembering how hard/long air's rock was anon. I played TLA recently as an adult and it didn't take me longer than 45 minutes. I don't know what you would need a guide for since the dungeon itself is fairly self-explanatory.

>>320535378
Complaining about it being two games is utterly ridiculous, considering both cartridges have the length to justify a purchase. TLA is a massive game by GBA standards, and most of that content isn't post-game or half-assed.

You're just making general bullshit criticisms; it doesn't seem like you really have anything of substance to complain about.
>>
>>320536450
>people already seem to complain that GS is too wordy.

Golden Sun has 1.49 times as much text as Metal Gear Solid 2, and it is all broken up across three-line dialogue boxes. Golden Sun is also half a game.
>>
>>320536516
It's not going to happen though, the Takahashis have made this kind of game and story since the Sega Genesis.
>>
Golden Sun was never good.

It looked relatively nice for a GBA game, that's it.

It's the only reason I was interested in the game initially, and going back to play it it's the only nice thing I can say about it.

It's not fun, the story isn't good, and honestly without saying "for a GBA game" I have a hard time saying the game looks good anymore.
>>
>>320531462
>Then it wants to end on a cliffhanger of all things.
>You mean like the original?

The difference is that when Camelot made GS they had already planned the sequel and we're nearly already working on it.
DD had a cliffhanger because the we're sure they'll do poor sales and that was the only way to push the fans to ask for another sequel
>>
File: 1402902852216.jpg (15 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1402902852216.jpg
15 KB, 323x323
>>320535378
>If you played both games to moderate completion without ever once needing a guide you either are lying, took fucking forever, or are some sort of psychic vidya god.
Have you considered the fact that you might be retarded? I don't know what you could possibly need a guide for. The puzzles in both games are a joke, the combat is easy and your objective is always clear. I played both games as a young child and didn't once feel stuck or lost, and I wasn't a particularly bright kid. Stop embarrassing yourself man
>>
File: 1393501717805.png (65 KB, 706x674) Image search: [Google]
1393501717805.png
65 KB, 706x674
>>320536691
>Golden Sun is also half a game
I really like this meme

half a story*
>>
>>320536675
Yes, you as an adult who is familiar with the game? Done in 45 minutes.

Someone playing it their first time and fucking up at spots you likely had no problems with? Easily an hour.
>>
>>320536691

Anyone remember that one 'cutscene' in Lemuria with King Hydros, right before you leave?

That shit goes on FOREVER, you thought MGS4 had long cutscenes? At least MGS4 doesn't require a button press every half-sentence spoken by a character.

GUNS

'press A'

OF THE PATRIOTS
>>
>>320537362
I hardly remember that but wasn't all of Lemuria pretty text-heavy since it was such a huge deal? You were visiting this forgotten city that had been built up over both titles, feels like that warrants some real conversations.
>>
>>320537060

Yeah, please tell us the story of how you discovered the philosophers stone in the 1800s and are actually 214 years old this year, next.
>>
>>320537267
Where in that post did I say I was familiar with the game? Also, you make it sound like "fucking up" is some irreversible mistake that automatically adds half an hour to your playtime. The worst you can do to fuck up is jump down the wrong chute or take the wrong whirlwind, which adds a minute at most and isn't anything more than a mild inconvenience.
>>
>>320537578
>equating solving pathetically easy puzzles in a children's game with impossible mystical bullshit
just digging yourself a deeper hole here bud. there isn't anything hard or complicated about getting through any of the golden sun games. needing a guide is cringeworthy and not really something you should be trying to form an argument around
>>
>>320537561
All of GS is text-heavy. The biggest problem with the series is that the script is huge even by RPG standards, but the general depth and quality of the writing and cast gains little to no payoff from it.

Something like the Trails series does a much better job of building a huge script and using it to good effect.
>>
>>320537719
>Half an hour = 15 minutes.
>>
>>320537929
Funny, here I'd use trails as an example of having 80% pointless fluff dialogue that goes literally nowhere, whereas golden sun has maybe 30-40% dialogue that is entirely irrelevant.

Keep in mind, I'm the guy that reads every line of dialogue he can find in RPGs.
>>
>>320538057
So you have no retort then, gotcha
>>
>>320529038
It's considerably easier (that one post-game boss notwithstanding), has lots of annoying points of no return and the map is smaller than in Lost Age.

I still liked it a lot though.
>>
>>320537929

This, fuck. There are optional little NPC subplots that aren't the focal point of any quests and have no bearing on anything that are better written and have better payoff than the main plot in Golden Sun.
>>
>>320530386
Sveta was the only good thing out of Dark Dawn and I hate furfags.
>>
>>320538057
unless you think climbing up a ladder again takes fifteen minutes, you're still full of shit. even if it actually did take that long that's hardly enough time to be bitching up a storm about it
>>
>>320537875

You forgot to post smugexpresion#871.jpg

Try again
>>
>>320538340
That's because she was the only intriguing character in the main party.
>>
>>320538203
It just felt like everything was a step down from Lost Age. The world building falls back to "this is a thing now, here you go" for almost every event in the game, the music is lackluster and unremarkable (I literally cannot remember a single track from that game, while I can remember at least 6 tracks off the top of my head from LA) the style is this horrible DS 3D that looks awful and ages extremely poorly, especially djin and shit like Boreas look horrid by comparison (also disappointing we have so many of the exact same summons)

Kraden was a fucking fossil in LA and he's somehow still around and back for more in DD which just felt boring, though maybe it was for the best considering how completely forgettable the rest of the cast was (that pirate shite being all grown up was a nice touch though)
>>
the game was too easy
points of no return in a game with collectibles
outlandish plot, world changed incredibly fast in the 20 years between the games, 2fast4me
>>
>game drops two literally whos into your party in the last ten seconds just for shits and giggles
sorry, DD is shit. not to mention the PSYNERGY VORTEXES which were 100% sequel bait, oh and the fucking feather. also saturos and menardi for the third fucking time
>>
>Isaac, what do you want? I'm trying to save my things! What, you want me to just dump my stuff?
>"Yes"
>You think I should forget these things and save my own life? You know, you're right. OK! Let's get out of here!

A well written half of a game, for sure.
>>
File: 1400932044275.jpg (45 KB, 604x442) Image search: [Google]
1400932044275.jpg
45 KB, 604x442
>play DD
>go to twisted forest
>tutorial on how to shoot fireballs
>watch scripted sequence where garret literally misses three fireballs for no reason
>in between each one isaac makes some stupid quip
>garret has some pointless retort
>the whole sequence takes five minutes of mashing A just to burn down a fucking tree
>mfw this happens like ten more times before the game actually starts
Anyone who can actually play this game has the patience of a saint.
>>
>>320539458

NO GIT GUD THO
>>
>>320537060
not him but I remember several Djinns going away forever if you miss them. And I remember some of them being placed in bullshit areas that you can easily miss and never go back there again.
>>
>>320539739
Guess your memory is a bit fuzzy. There are precisely zero missable Djinn in both GS and TLA
>>
>>320539458
Whoever's in charge of scenario design in Camelot just needs to be slapped.
>>
>>320540107
huh. I guess it was Dark Dawn then.
>>
>>320539458
That's the entire Golden Sun trilogy for you. Endless dialogue exposing things the audience figured out or were told hours ago.
>>
>>320539458
What if I said that I had not only the patience for that, but also enjoyed that? I like the random bits of characters acting retarded and insulting each other.
>>
>>320529038
Dark Dawn is easier compared to GS1 and Lost Age.

But those points where the plots and paths are locked, Jesus. If I didn't looked up at the Djinn Guide I would have missed a lot.
>>
>>320540730
You enjoy 5+ hours of forced tutorial in the third game in a series?
>>
>>320531880
That's sad. It was a good series. Did it really bomb hard?
>>
>>320540924
Considering I never beat any of them, yes.
But I'm also the type of person who enjoys Zelda: Twilight Princess's tutorial and slow startup.
>>
>>320534942

Not even that anon, but you're retarded.

If every fight boils down to "press attack without thinking until the fight ends" then it's not very hard, but it IS tedious and annoying.

If every puzzle is "push an obvious block in an obvious way to solve an obvious puzzle," that's also not hard, but is very tedious and annoying.

If every dungeon is "press attack without thinking until the fight ends every 5 seconds because fights are interrupting you while attempting to push an obvious block in an obvious way so that all of it takes 10 minutes longer than necessary for no reason without ever actually challenging the player with a difficult puzzle OR any difficult fights," well then fuck that shit.
>>
>>320535378
Posting just to say I beat both games without a guide. You don't have to be a psychic video god. You just have to have played a lot of video games. Golden Sun wasn't all that difficult. A lot of puzzles and dungeon layouts are very standard. Airs Rock was annoying but not guide worthy.
>>
>tfw got stuck in mercury tower because i didnt know to cast ply on the big statue and just ended up grinding to like level 20
>>
>>320541460
Golden Sun's random battle rate, graciously, is pretty low for a JRPG.
Unfortunately, much like it's blazing fast text crawl being invalidated by the sheer magnitude of dialogue, the cooridors and "mazes" in each area make this less beneficial than it should be.
>>
Golden Sun Drinking Game

1 Sip = Every time you're given a "But thou must" style Yes or No choice

1 Sip = You encounter an enemy that is just a pallette swap of an enemy you previously encounted

Another Sip = If above monster has any name along the lines of "Cave Wolf" or "Ice Bat"

2 Shot = If an NPC acknowledges your Psyergy and says something along the lines of "Ah, so that's what you call X."

1 Sip = Anytime you could describe a puzzle or obstacle as a maze.

1 Shot = Anytime it takes more than 100 presses of the A or B button to get through all the dialog in a cutscene.

1 Shot = Anytime your reason for fighting a creature is "Psyergy made it really mad"

1 Shot = Anytime you think of quitting or using a guide to get through any of the dungeons.

Down the Bottle = When there's a Djinn you can only find in a small segment of landmarkless land via a random encounter in the overworld.

Inject Morphine - Air's Rock
>>
File: 1427054155472.png (83 KB, 221x195) Image search: [Google]
1427054155472.png
83 KB, 221x195
>>320541995
>tfw went to Mercury Lighthouse first and ended up being OP for Trent
>>
>>320542262

Also

1 Sip = Anyone uses Psynergy to do some mundane task you could very easily do without mind-magic, or you're forced to do so yourself as part of a puzzle
>>
>>320542262
I don't want to die.
>>
I really liked GS 1 and 2

but I realize that since I played them with an emulator, conversations and cutscenes that took me like 10 seconds probably took people who played them on GBA like 5 minutes

pretty standard for rpgs though. It's why I only play them with speed buttons now
>>
File: 1418488722449.png (182 KB, 992x992) Image search: [Google]
1418488722449.png
182 KB, 992x992
>tfw still haven't beaten tla

I just can't find the motivation. I've beaten gs like 5 times, but in tla after I get water guy I just don't feel like playing anymore. I guess I just didn't like felix and his crew
>>
>>320544285
I will always love Sheva though.
>that moment where she just bluntly tells the antagonist that Isaac straight up murdered her buddies in the last game
beautiful
>>
>>320544285
Nah I get that feeling sometimes too, mostly because I know that TLA is gonna take significantly longer so I don't feel like jumping into it right away.

Felix's party > Isaac's party
>>
>>320544687
Karst and Agatio deserved it for being douches
>>
>>320534965

This exactly.

The original wasn't any good. The only people who like it are nostalgia-fueled fuckers who didn't have anything else to play on their GBAs. Or if it was their first RPG. Golden Sun is a bad game. And the DS one is exactly like the originals: bad, terrible, wordy, with a boring battle system, dumb puzzles and absurdly bad story and setting.
>>
Is there an easier RPG than dark dawn? Seriously I literally never got a game over until the final boss and even then the enemies right before it give so much exp you can grind for 5 minutes and youll be fine.
>>
>>320544905
sounds like your average turn based RPG to me, family.
>>
Niggas, random fights aren't real, like, nigga, just use Avoid.

Replaying this shit right now. Played on a emulator many years ago, but back then i used to like the shitty genre known as JRPG. Game is shit, but it's a mindless fun, kinda like Diablo, but with spamming djins summons every random battle instead, and a bit of stupid "puzzles" to add some variety.

It's good if you wan to chill out from your main game and block your mind from the negatives thing that happened that day.
>>
>>320534004
>djinn storm
But yes, other than that, you're right.
>>
>>320532851
>Then maybe don't play the game
Wait, did Golden Sun have a hard mode?
I might have to play it again if it did.

I was always disappointed that I could beat both of the games by like level 30 and miss out on all of the really high level Psynergy.
>>
>>320545434

If random fights aren't real, how are GBAs real?
>>
>>320529979
>"freedom" that amounts to the same linearity with no direction, etc

this isn't true for the Lost Age at all
>>
>>320535526
>5 different natural disasters to happen simultaneously presumably killing four people
Huh.
Ya know, a lot more people should have died.

Like, that village should have still been sort of wrecked three years later, with only a fraction of the population.
>>
>>320544905
Fuck off.

Golden Sun is my favorite RPG franchise after Dark Souls.

It's a comfy game with great artstyle, nice characters and awesome music.

Plus the manual is beautiful, makes me wish there was an anime or a movie about Isaac and his friends.

So yeah, kill yourself, had many RPGs for my GBA and Golden Sun was the best.
>>
>>320529038
Story was ass and there are more than one points of no return in which shit like Djinn and items can be permanently locked behind, which is horseshit.

Other than that I liked it, though. I thought it did a lot of cool stuff like giving each Djinn a unique model. It's a shame it came out so close to the end of the DS' lifespan. Hope they get to learn from their mistakes and make another someday.
>>
>>320547003

>comfy

Opinion discarded

>nice characters

I'd say "name 5 that weren't party members" but this is the internet, so its not like you couldn't cheat.
>>
>>320542262
>1 Shot = Anytime it takes more than 100 presses of the A or B button to get through all the dialog in a cutscene.

I guess the entire start of The lost age would kill everyone
>>
>>320548536

It would kill you even if you weren't drinking alcohol.
>>
>>320543186
>Anyone uses Psynergy to do some mundane task you could very easily do without mind-magic

You saying you wouldn't do that shit all the fucking time? Imagine being a kid in the 90s stealing the remote from your siblings with your mind powers, or being able to wipe your ass without moving.
>>
File: sd38rpo.png (438 KB, 777x777) Image search: [Google]
sd38rpo.png
438 KB, 777x777
>>320529038
People hate it because everyone is shit except Sveta
>>
File: Sveta!.png (353 KB, 900x805) Image search: [Google]
Sveta!.png
353 KB, 900x805
I loved everything about DD as much as the originals, even the music. The final boss theme is probably my favorite in the series.

Also, I REALLY want to hug and cuddle Sveta, and pet her furry body. I'm not furry, she's just really cute.
>>
>>320548763

I think using it to pick up straw like Garnet does at the beginning is a bit much.

Especially when it's established pretty fast that it's limited thing and not something you can do infinitely.
>>
>>320542732
You're supposed to fight Trent BEFORE Mercury Lighthouse?
No wonder that tree was always piss easy.
>>
>>320550318
Yeah, normally you're supposed to fight him first, then clear Mercury Lighthouse and grab the water and double back.
If you do the Lighthouse first, you can grab the water first tackle Trent in one go.
There's also something similar in TLA where you can get Piers and your ship first before visiting Garoh and Air Rock.
>>
I remember being stuck on TLA for a month with the boat. I think I had to go up a waterfall or something.
>>
>>320550318
On every run I did, I always went to the Mercury Lighthouse as soon as I can. Speedrun routing without even knowing
>>
So who was the hottest golden sun girl?
>>
>>320550909
The girl you save from the dragon
>>
>>320550909

Alex
>>
>>320550909
Jenna
>>
>>320550909
Pavel

By they way, did he dieded in TLA? I don't recall reading something about him in DD
>>
>>320550909
Sveta
>>
>>320550909
Normally I would say Jenna, but then I saw >>320548881
>>
>>320550909

jenna got my dick rock hard for some reason and I wish she never got kidnapped in gs
>>
you're welcome
>>
File: 1442644078305.jpg (47 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
1442644078305.jpg
47 KB, 449x642
>>320551338
>yfw Matthew x Sveta is practically canon
>>
File: GSKarst.jpg (226 KB, 850x1257) Image search: [Google]
GSKarst.jpg
226 KB, 850x1257
>>320550909
>>
>>320551890

>those nipples
>pubic hair

Gross
>>
File: 1448297424705.jpg (134 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1448297424705.jpg
134 KB, 1366x768
>>320551890
>muscles
>those thick ass thighs but tiny ankles
>those other mishapen preportions
>no fur; only animal parts are the nose, hands, ears, and feet
>that ugly ass pussy
>you're welcome
It looks like a Dragon's Crown girl but without the artistic beauty of Dragon's Crown
>>
>>320529038
Good game, but the first and second games were superior, specially the second game.

New art style ruined it for me.
>>
>>320551890
The saddest thing about this picture is the fact that it's probably the best porn of GS I've seen.
>>
>>320552217
You gay son?
>>
File: nigga-you-gay.png (650 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
nigga-you-gay.png
650 KB, 720x540
>>320552217
>>320552457
>>
>>320553201
Not my fault you have shit taste in 2D art
>>
>>320552807
>>320553201

Both genders can have pubic hair and it's gross on either of them.

Those nipples on the other hand, are just weird looking.
>>
>>320552715
>we will never get high quality porn of Jenna or Mia

truly life is suffering
>>
File: 1324786848209.jpg (80 KB, 393x393) Image search: [Google]
1324786848209.jpg
80 KB, 393x393
>>320553886

>not enjoying bush
>>
File: 5468719888.jpg (41 KB, 510x383) Image search: [Google]
5468719888.jpg
41 KB, 510x383
>>320553779
>>320553886
>>
>>320551890
Nigga, if you got more you best not hold out on us.
>>
>>320554165
>>320553201
>>320552807

>hurr you dont like pubic hair, u fuckin gay bro?

If not liking coarse, gross looking hair is gay, I don't wanna be straight. You guys can keep your Carrot Top pussies.
>>
>>320552096
Remind me again, were S and M after the whole world domination thing as well, or were they just trying to save their tribe? Cause I remember these two were trying for it and I thought it was fucking stupid as shit.

That whole Flame Dragons fight and the events after it were pretty chilling though.
>Bunch of dragons trapped in ice
>Burst that shit open and they attack you
>Same move set as Karst and Agatio
>That tense as fuck music
>Dies holding Felix's hand
>"So warm"
Sure she was a cunt, but I ended up feeling sad for her anyways.
Her partner can suck a dick though. Fuck that guy.
>>
>>320554941
>not like firecrotch
Wow, you really are gay.
>>
>>320555023

They were trying to save their tribe, but Camelot did everything they could to make them seem like evil douchebags because it'd be surprising when you found out they weren't trying to dominate the world.
>>
>>320555060

You're the one who wants to fuck Shaun White.
>>
>>320555435
>only males can have red hair
It's OK Anon, you can admit you want to suck dicks.
We won't judge you.
>>
>>320554723
go search golden sun on paheal
>>
File: 1445659816295.png (3 MB, 1780x1260) Image search: [Google]
1445659816295.png
3 MB, 1780x1260
I was completely oblivious to the series and blindly bought it expecting dragon quest.
To me the combat was repetitive and the puzzles boring and tedious.
I deserve to have been ripped off by gamestop when I returned it for $10
>>
How did we go from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEjqqUTz-us
to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvOFqTPpIw0
>>
>>320529038
GS is shit
>>
>>320546178

Lost Age did, but I think you needed to beat the game first. It's actually a little more fun.
>>
>>320555302
Thinking about it, they weren't very good at writing villains. It likely could have all been resolved by one diplomatic exchange since it didn't seem like anyone had a particular problem with Proxians.

Alex was the only one who was remotely villainous, but he only played passenger to events and guide them along.
>>
>>320558361
Didn't Saturos and Menardi try and do that the first time, but Vale wouldn't listen to them? Which led them to raid the sanctum in the first place?
>>
>>320555763
>blindly bought it expecting dragon quest.
>To me the combat was repetitive
What the fuck. It's fucking turned base, what were you expecting? Just mix up djinn and get other classes, try other things, don't just spam attack or summons.
And DQ is DQ, you can never expect an adventure, a world, or charm like that in other games.
>>320558718
I think their clan tried talks first but Vale didn't cared. Saturos and Menardi just said "fuck it, we can't wait no more". And while shit happens Wise Troll is giving zero fucks and just gives random advice to a bunch of kids.
>>
>>320560143
I ended up watching the same djinn scenes over and over. I didn't feel like there was much else to the game
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.