[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played one but I'd like to start. Which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Empire_Total_War_Navy_Shot_1.jpg (491 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Empire_Total_War_Navy_Shot_1.jpg
491 KB, 1680x1050
I've never played one but I'd like to start. Which one should I start with, is it a fixed Rome II? Nothing too early and primitive looking if possible
>>
Shogun 2 is arguably the best in the series. Graphically as well, it really holds up. While Attila adds a lot of graphical shit, it's a half-assed job throughout and it shows. Most factions are cookie cutter copies of each other down the exact same units, every Germanic one anyway.

Medieval II with Stainless Steel mod is probably the very best overall experience, but it obviously looks and feels dated. Empire is the best game in the series in terms of map size and amazing if you like cannons and line battles firing by rank. The map spans all of Europe, India and most of North America and you can move around it all. For Empire, Darthmod is advisable.

A lot of people like Rome, so it gets an honorable mention. I never cared for it though, found it very dull.
>>
>>320468905
Thanks, this is very helpful. Any thoughts on Rome II? I know some considered it nearly broken at launch. I've heard nothing but good things about shogun 2 at this point so ill probably start there
>>
>>320469512
I guess I'm asking because it's the highest tier in the humble bundle so I may just purchase shogun II if the highest tier isn't worth it
>>
File: forecast rain.jpg (367 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
forecast rain.jpg
367 KB, 1920x1080
>>320469512
I believe the people who don't like it were big fans of the first one, and likely disappointed it wasn't the same kind of overall improvement across the board as Shogun II was. And like I said, the Roman periods has never interested me so I played it very little, this screenshot sums up my main experience with it at the time.

Most problems have probably been fixed, if you like the era I don't see why you wouldn't like it.
>>
>>320469710
Thanks anon. Looking forward to experiencing the series
>>
File: 1436238729425.jpg (618 KB, 1615x1197) Image search: [Google]
1436238729425.jpg
618 KB, 1615x1197
Best new games are Attila and Shogun 2 FOTS

Best classic games are MTW and M2TW

Don't bother with Rome 2 or Empire
>>
File: 5763428843.jpg (28 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
5763428843.jpg
28 KB, 250x272
>>320466886
>While Attila adds a lot of graphical shit, it's a half-assed job throughout and it shows
>Attila
>half-assed
>>
File: attila 2015-10-01 18-03-40-862.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
attila 2015-10-01 18-03-40-862.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>320469512
Attila is a fixed Rome 2 just play that one and wait for Ancient Empires
>>
If you're interested in the style of gameplay and era of history that Empire has but don't want a game that's buggy as fuck and functionally broken, get Napoopan.
>>
>>320466886
Shogun 2 is the best and balanced out there. Some say it gets booring cause every factions uses the same units, but every factions has its own play style. How ever, ever since they released Otomo dlc they seem to rofl-stomp the western provinces.

I clocked 500h on Rome 2 before it was patched to Emperor edition it left a sour taste in my mouth. Last week I started an egyptian campaign and it seems they have changed alot of things for the better.

Attila is the most complex and alot of fun, could be a good challenger fro shogun 2. Last patch fixed alot problems I found tedious.
>>
>>320471764
In terms of optimization its absolutely half-assed. The game is great though.
>>
>>320466886
Empire Total War, even if it's not perfect nor polished, is the one with the less cheater AI.
>>
>>320473776
The AI cheats and is still retarded in Empire.
>>
>>320473629
It's not like Shogun 2 is better optimized. Attila has much better multicore support the problem is the unit detail requirements are much higher than Rome 2's so the upside is you never get fish faces like launch R2 but it means the game runs worse.
>>
>>320473932
It cheats less than for example Rome II or Fall of Samuarai.
>>
>>320469512
The campaign just isn't fun in Rome 2, there's no challenge unless you put it on legendary and let the AI cheat

By contrast Attila has an incredibly varied and interesting campaign by virtue of the climate change mechanic alone
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.