[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will make rougelike game for you? * RNG dungeon generator?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
What will make rougelike game for you?

* RNG dungeon generator?
* Excel type of stats?
* Complicated mechanics?
>>
>>320420036
Fantasy setting* (Not always applicable but definitely a plus)
Grid based movement
turn based
lots of detail in items, environment, weapons, etc. Essentially every thing from potions to the materials walls are made of should be known to the player
Random dungeon creation, meaning every area and floor is created with loose guidelines* (although set areas can be very fun if few and very far between)
Post game content for hardcore players. A good example of this is how Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup does its post game. Most people will just get the runes necessary to get into Zot, grab the orb and run, but for players looking for more, you can literally go to hell, you can dive into the abyss or other post-game difficulty dungeons
Large selection of races and classes, each with their own unique style of play

There's tons more but I'm lazy
>>
>>320420778
Need to remember this
>>
>>320421526
>>320420036
Are you... making a roguelike, OP?
>>
>>320421628
I want
>>
>>320421628
You have any question about it?
>>
i wish there was a good roguelike which doesn't go crazy with a bazillion stats and has a great variety of enviroments to progress towards.
Additionally a game balance where you don't have to resort to primarily ranged attacks early on.. and more positioning options.
>>
>>320423501
>and more positioning options
You mean like hiding behind something? Higher/lover ground advantage/disadvantage?
>>
>>320420036
For me it's perma death and everything is randomised, including potions and maps.
>>
>>320423501
Be a Gargoyle Fighter in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Bam, problem solved (Use a mace you dingus)
>>
Turn based, grid based RPG is already halfway there.
Non-turn based is already 100% out.
>>
What about unlocking stuff? Like in Binding of Isaac. You need to fulfill some precondition (for example: kill 100 skeletons), to unlock something in dungeon (like hidden King Skeleton)
>>
The "official Berlin interpretation" is
-Turn Based
-Randomly Generated
-Permadeath
-Non-Modal (as in the game doesn't play differently in combat or whatever from moving around in a dungeon)
>>
>>320424717
>official Berlin interpretation
is there a joke that im not getting?
>>
>>320424445
0KCCJ-4EPNL-WG424 Also, someone take this.

The big one is turn based. If it's not turn based, it's at best "rogue-lite" or "roguelikelike." Roguelites are easy to crap out, but a good actual roguelike only comes around rarely. Look at Tales of Maj'eyal or Nethack, or Dungeons of Dredmor for a more entry level RL.

Unlocks are pretty hit and miss. The best roguelikes tend to only have classes and races being unlockable and most don't even do that. Doom RL has only challenge levels for unlocks, but ToMe has most classes and a few races behind an unlock for example.
>>
>>320420036
Berlin interpretation
>>
>>320420036
red tiles
>rougelike
>>
>>320424445
It's not considered significantly anti-roguelike, but it 100% certainly isn't a "roguelike feature" itself.
>>
>>320425503
>red tiles
pls explain
>>
>>320425738
fuck off
>>
>>320425773
You are not helpful
>>
>>320426106
You clearly haven't done even a modicum of research before coming on here if you don't know about red tiles and Berlin. You're just some loser in the basement with dreams of being a game developer, thinking it must be easy since you play so many, right?

Ask your questions again after doing at least a single google search, please.
>>
>>320420036
Berlin '08 or you're shit.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.