[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Space Opera Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: SO-2.jpg (102 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
SO-2.jpg
102 KB, 1024x576
What would the best Space Opera Game be like?

What can we learn from previous games?
>>
Just some thoughts:

>Large amount of lore
>Explore many planets
>Many races
>Mission based
>Squad Based
>RPG decision that actually effects the universe
>Space Ship Customization and Naming
>Doing missions improves your characters, equipment, weapons
>Multiple factions in the game, doing missions changes how the story progresses, help this race, but another race suffers, etc.

Whatever you do don't make it an arbitrarily 3 part "epic".
>>
I'd honestly be fine with Mass Effect but better.
Or Kotor but better.

Would be fun if there is base building/terraforming/colonization outside of the away missions, similar to XCOM.

Mass Effect 1 really shined with it's awesome Codec.
Mass Effect 2 had the awesome campy CSI in space feel to it.
Mission, Wrex, Garrus, Tali, and Legion are good examples of interesting characters that help you learn about the universe without shoving the codex down your throat.

Essentially, missions and side characters should help paint the picture of the universe you live in, while any "codec" type mechanic is just optional background fluff.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (151 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
151 KB, 1920x1080
>>
You absolutely need competent writers.
Two types, one type for writing the lore.
The other type for using the lore as building blocks to create a worthy story for the game.
>>
Blue romance-able alien girls.
>>
Homeworld 2
>>
>>320248082
>>
EVE online desu
>>
>>320246754
Like Infinite Space but executed better
>>
>>320246754
Just remake Infinite Space. For a little weeb game on a DS it does a fuckload right, and even has obvious LoGH inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_QaKgH3f-0
>>
>>320249051
>>320249258

Agreed, great game.
>>
>>320246754

Maybe it's just me, but aliens that look like reskinned humans (or an overabundance of them) can really hurt a story. The only way it really works is if there's a rational explanation for it, and even then it can't be overdone.

Felt like Mass Effect kinda failed in this regard. Plus, alien culture was too much like human culture; and alot of the aliens had very samey designs (there's like 4 races with the exact same hands and feet).
>>
>>320249552
It's pretty shameful that not many people seem to know about it, and surprising since it was developed by Platinum Games and Kono himself.

It even has mecha stuff if you want to bother with NG+, it's a solid 7-8 and would be even higher if they fixed some things.
>>
>tfw no proper BSG game
>>
>>320249801

I like the idea that life in the universe is modeled after some ancient race that start it all.

That's why many races are so similar, they share similar DNA.
>>
Space Opera is a setting anon, not a genre.

It could be a space sim, a space trading empire game, a rpg, a shooter, even a city builder.

What did you mean?
>>
>>320250428

Why don't you tell me?
That's the point of the thread.
>>
>>320250152
D I A S P O R A
>>
>>320249801

>mass effect

To be fair ME was supposed to be inspired by those 50s sci-fi movies and design. Also Metropolis.

But yeah, the alien races in ME are pretty 'meh' as far as inspiration goes.
>>
>>320250502
Should Star Citizen deliver, then I guess that's the only thing I'd want. The more content from them I get to touch, the more I feel it's headed in the right direction.
>>
>>320250513
Fuck that game, I want a proper BSG game.
>>
>>320250000
Infinite space has mecha? I though CVs was the highest and boy were CVs OP as fuck.
>>
>>320250732
You can get different mecha's to use as fighters in new game plus.
>>
I just want play /v/lancer again
>>
>>320246754
I remember when i had this set as my wallpaper. i was a little faggot.
>>
File: 1428432922653.jpg (25 KB, 258x383) Image search: [Google]
1428432922653.jpg
25 KB, 258x383
>>320247281
>Mass Effect but better.
>mfw Bioware cocks up all of their promising new franchises one way or another
>>
>>320248841
It has literally no solid RPG aspects, unless you consider being bossed around by some dweeby faggot on Ventrilo to be fun.
>>
>>320246754
The closest you're going to get is GalCiv II, Homeworld or Sins of a Solar Empire, I think.

You could probably make arguments for other things (like E.V.E. or those old space command games or Gihren's greed or even star wars stuff like X-Wing) but 4x and RTS are currently the only thing that can get massive ship-to-ship organization/creed based empires going at it spectacularly.

That said, Space Opera is sort of a fake genre or setting in general- there's barely any fiction that legit qualifies that isn't hot shit.
>>
>>320251007

EVE isn't an RPG now? The shit /v/ says about things they don't know about.
>>
>>320250367

Yeah, that's how it goes in Halo. The only race to look vaguely like humans are specifically mentioned to be a kind of prototype/brother race made by ancient god-aliens.

>>320250594

I mean yeah, it gets points in some areas, like the Turians look pretty cool (and I can't fault Tali's hips), but otherwise...
>>
>>320251865
Is Star Wars truly the only worthwhile space opera?
>>
>>320251865
>Gihren's Greed
holy fuck homie
>tfw Gundam will never be as popular in America as it was in the 90's
>>
File: remove horsefucker.jpg (502 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
remove horsefucker.jpg
502 KB, 2560x1440
>no defined goal
>absolutely dense atmosphere
>near completely opaque underlying universe, as you sit atop it as an inductee to humanity's space premier pilot organization
>huge thought to sound design with a killer composer to round it all up
>gratifying and complex control schemes with physics allowing for full utilization of what your given vessel can do
>numerous ships to fly
>numerous people to kill
>numerous things to sell
>an entire galaxy waiting to be explored

oh wait
>>
>>320253919
Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica... There are a few that fit the bill, now that I think harder. Almost everything that qualifies is pretty retarded somewhere, though; mixing speculative fiction, budget and the need for things to happen consistently over very long stretches of time means that everything is basically trash.

Star wars probably has the most "space opera"-esque games of the other TV-based serializations, at least.
>>
>>320249258
>>320249051
would you keep the combat or change it up? I loved space tetris but spamming fighters/max ranging got boring after a while
>>
>>320256301
I'd keep the general thing untouched but I'd try to expand and balance it a bit.

Maybe add the ability to actually see the battle directly from Yuri's perspective, too.

>tfw Kono actually expressed the desire to remake IS or make IS2 in some interview
>>
>>320254543
Today we land.
>>
>>320256301

spamming fighters/max ranging got boring after a while

Funny cause that's how real ship battles work
>>
>>320257916
For only 60€, goyim can know explore planets (where there is nothing to do) that are empty and all look the same.

What a crafty chap, braben-kun.
>>
File: 1386920394111.jpg (115 KB, 331x329) Image search: [Google]
1386920394111.jpg
115 KB, 331x329
Can anyone recommend a good space sim/sandbox with decent dogfighting mechanic? I'm getting tired of playing Elite Dangerous.
>>
>>320261216
Freelancer is the obvious answer
>>
>>320247281
>without shoving the codex down your throat
>Tali
ME1 Tali existed to be the Codex entry dispenser for the entire Quarian race

Every non-squad banter line out of her mouth was my culture this, my species that
>>
>>320261605
From what I heard it's mouse only. I want something with joystick support for dat dere immersion.
>>
File: Launch-Vipers.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Launch-Vipers.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>320250513
Fuck yes.
>>
File: 1438416017946.jpg (108 KB, 963x1000) Image search: [Google]
1438416017946.jpg
108 KB, 963x1000
Aliens. To fuck. And their availability to bone is inversely proportional to their desirability to the common man.

The giant bug race with the slavering jaws and the chitin plates and the razor scythes for hands? First thing you can fuck.
>>
Why is it that no space combat game actually makes the effort to try and show the perception of bullets and ships that are supposedly moving at relativistic speeds? Weird shit would happen with your perception of such objects as they move at different velocities relative to you
>>
>>320264367
>/d/ designs a video game
you can't trick me! i know a magical realm when I see one!
>>
>>320248082
>>320248149
blue space babes are boring! B O R I N G!!
>>
>>320265354
But that one has a dick that cums eggs
>>
>>320266236
>futa
even worse than boring
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.