[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Agree or Disagree with Yahtzee about Infinite and it's ending?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7
File: yahtzee.jpg (45 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
yahtzee.jpg
45 KB, 800x450
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/10288-No-BioShock-Infinite-s-Ending-Doesn-t-Suck

Came out a couple of years ago but he goes more in-depth with this than his actual review of BioShock Infinite
>>
Not gonna read that but I'll agree with it anyway because COME ON IT'S YAHTZEE.
>>
File: 1435770278996.jpg (67 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
1435770278996.jpg
67 KB, 1080x608
>>320153289
>let's have a commentary on another asshole's commentary on a piece of media we consumed
>be sure to watch and support other asshole's commentary, his opinion matters so much we advertise for him!

I never understood people's need to market somebody else's opinion until I realized every single person who does it is trying to market and make money off of their own opinions.

It's no different than seeing vacuous cunts on TV peddling products they use and sell it as a "lifestyle". You people are no better than women talking about what celebrities wore on the red carpet
>>
I don't agree. His points for why Infinite's ending doesn't suck is because:

-It stuck in his mind
-It provokes discussion

I don't believe those are good points to use to decide if an ending to a video game is good.

His comments about Infinite being filled with unnecessary stuff I agree with though.
>>
>>320153289
Just read it. The name of the article is just clickbait.
He doesn't really even touch on the ending, but just says that it's not the worst ever because it was so dumb that it provoked discussion. While that's kinda neat that we all still have something to laugh at, it doesn't magically increase the endings quality, and I still consider it one of the worst endings in games. It's not even comically bad. It's just bad.
>>
>>320154065
Or maybe because I'm trying to start an interesting conversation and have no alternative motives

(not a yahtzee fan btw)
>>
>>320154323
You do know there is a second page though right?
>>
>>320153289
>the ending isn't bad solely because it provoked discussion
What a shitty argument.
>>
>>320155113
What the fuck? Why is there a second page on an endless internet page?
>>
>>320155305
there are two pages on his article dummy
>>
>>320153289
Does he ironically or seriously wear the hat?
I cannot take people seriously who wear these things.

Who the fuck started wearing this shit and thought it was cool, stylish or anything but awkward? The only okay looking fedora I've seen have always been on fictional characters.
>Spy vs Spy
>Spy from TF2

That's it.
>>
>>320153289
He's right the ending isn't that bad

Though he's wrong in thinking the gameplay is good
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4
>>
>>320155691
>hating on fucking Indiana Jones, Colombo, and Freddy Kreuger
Underage get the fuck out.
>>
>>320155691
Old timey gangsters from movies?
>>
>>320153289
Who gives a shit, it's a terrible FPS.
>>
>>320155218
No kidding. I guess ME3 is the best ending ever then.
>>
>>320156023
NOPE
O
P
E
>>
>>320154673
>not a fan
>made a thread linking to his article
>OP image of asshole you're marketing
Nice try, OP. This native advertising shit is getting outta hand.
>>
I didnt even read, but I dont disagree with the title.

Bioshock infinite has MANY more flaws than its ending. The ending is lackluster, but not the problem with the game. The boring damage sponges, the large plotholes in the middle of the game, the shittu "boss" fight and lack of focus on any Main theme are real problems
>>
Kind of a shit article, since he says basically nothing to defend his initial point. I do agree that Infinite completely fucks up the world building though.

The really weird thing is how everyone describes the citizens of the city as being evil racists. I mean, given that this game was set in 1912 (ish?), the people are hardly unusually racist for the time. Plenty of far more racist stuff was happening even 50 years later, so trying to paint them as unforgivably evil is just weird.
>>
>>320153289
No, he is completely fucking wrong.

Bioshock Infinite not even once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4

This is the only acceptable review of BI.
>>
>>320156515
>Two weapon limit
>Dull upgrade system
>No special ammo
>No gene tonics inb4 clothes were an acceptable substitude
>Bullet sponge enemies
>Holy fucking shit that Lady Comstock boss fight
YEP
E
P
>>
>>320156934
god mathew literally is the best reviewer in games media ever
>>
>Posts article from a literal fedora tipper
DESU
E
S
U
>>
>>320156632
The stupid thing is, what you just talked about is what he spends most of the article discussing. Quote:
>In fact, "unnecessary" is the best word to sum up the issues I do have with Infinite
Kind of agrees with your points there. Especially the bit about
>lack of focus on any Main theme are real problems
I'd completely agree. What are you supposed to go away from Infinite thinking? Zealotry and racism are bad? Parallel universes are kind of cool or something? Fucking rule 63 you from an alternative dimension would be kind of nifty? MUH CONSTANTS AND MUH VARIABLES?

The whole game was just a confused mess tied together with boring gameplay. Given everything bad Yahtzee's said about it (and what he's said about other games which suffer from similar problems), I'm shocked that he ended up liking it at all, let alone naming it GOTY.
>>
This is much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc15KgfNJsw

Particularly the "Irrational's desire to create a 4 dimensional story, left them forgetting to make the world anything more than 2D" part
>>
>>320153289
What a shit article, he barely even talked about the ending. He just rambled about random stuff that was in the game.
>>
>>320157167
Yeah I love his review series of Zelda, Mario, MGS and his critique of DaS2 and BI. I can't wait for him to do a MGS V video, also he seems to have some sort of knowledge of videogame development due to the insight of his videos.
>>
>>320157942
Mathew was wrong about Infinite though, we can all agree with that.
>>
>>320158512
*agree on that
>>
>>320158512
Why do you say that? I thought he was right on the money for basically all of it.
>>
>>320153289
It does suck, but not in comparison to the rest of the game, because that largely sucks likewise.
>>
>>320158512
go to bed levine
>>
>>320154258
>It provokes discussion

Hitler and Stalin provoke discussion and have lasted in people's minds. I wonder if that makes them not suck.
>>
>>320158512
Nah, he was right on the money. The FPS mechanics are retarded and Elizabeth is one of the worse characters in the game without any consistency to her own context and in any other media it would be a textbook example of an author completely circumventing his own narrative because he can't write himself out if it and maintain consistency with the world, also he is one of the fews to point out how retarded is the excuse of infinite realities being unified by certain events. Damn I could go on and on but Mathew already broke the asshole of Levine in 5 million pieces in his review.
>>
>>320157786
Yeah, fair enough on most stuff. His voice really annoys me though, and I disagree that Infinite is good overall. A lot of the boring shooters that he mentions at the end manage to be more interesting than Infinite.
>>
I love that /v/ is still so salty about a game that came out years ago
>>
>>320159923
>years ago
2 ain't much
>>
>>320153289
Yahtzee confuses me. He generally hates repetitive, uninspired shooters, and dislikes it when game are too narrative focused or have preachy undertones. Yet he loves shit like Infinite.

Generally speaking he's a good reviewer though. One of the few mainstream reviewers that doesn't suck publisher cock. I really liked that he's dropped his whole angry schick, and become more serious. His Fallout 4 review hit the nail on the head.
>>
>>320157786
Nah the main problems with BI are the shooting mechanics. Also the story suck ass.
>>
>>320158512
He was 100% correct.
Infinite is trash.
>>
>>320160127
I think his point is that, in comparison to the first game, columbia feels like nothing more than a backdrop, as opposed to Rapture, which felt like it was a character in-itself.
>>
>>320159923
It's because we like vidya as a medium. No matter how old a game is, it should still be appreciated for what it is, and that's what we're doing.
>>
>>320160107

It's almost like he doesn't buy into the pandering internet gaming hivemind and forms his own opinions based on experience.

Shocking.
>>
>>320156960

>that Lady Comstock boss fight

You know I think I've seen more hate for that single boss then I have for any boss in any game in a long god damn time.

For good reason, holy shit what an absolutely awfully designed piece of shit.
>>
>>320160563
Stop spouting this hive mind meme.
>>
File: dlanham-HiveMind_iPad.jpg (1 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
dlanham-HiveMind_iPad.jpg
1 MB, 2048x2048
>>320160957
>>
>>320160563
But most of the gaming hiveminds thought the same as Yahtzee, that Infinite was amazing GOTY material. So it's possible that he formed his opinion based on his own experience, but he might have just bought into the pandering internet gaming hivemind, you can't really tell which.
>>
>>320153289
I think it's ridiculous that he's still trying to stay relevant

esp after everyone realized he just reviews stories
>>
>>320153289

Any opinion hehas on Bioshock os automatically nullified by the fact that he still considers Bioshock 2 one of the worst games he's ever played.

I mean his opinion is shit already because he has shit taste but that's always been a big sticking point with me.
>>
Yahtzee the Nahtzee Crosshaw
>>
>>320155113
You do know that he doesn't say why the plot doesn't suck on that page either?

He only talks about the horror aspects and violence.

The headline states that the ending doesn't suck, but there is nothing in the article that says otherwise. His only point is that it's not THE WORST ENDING EVER. That's it. And it didn't start a conversation because it was good, but because people thought it was good when it actually just sucked.

I really like Yathzee and listen to his YouTube series but his love for Infinite I will never understand. Everything this game does is everything he hates about other modern video games.
>>
>>320161937
I never understood why he hated Bioshock 2 so much, and I never understood why he liked Infinite so much either.
>>
>>320155962
Indiana Jones and Colombo don't wear a trilby.
>>
File: 1447192250800.jpg (70 KB, 649x488) Image search: [Google]
1447192250800.jpg
70 KB, 649x488
ayo gurl lets hop dimensions to find a guy who is dead in our dimension so we bring him to a girl in our dimension but wait we gotta do something else in this dimension dimension oh shit ur pinky got left in my dimension wait i gotta kill comstock wait no i am comstock wait just fuck my shit up elizabeth, kill me and we all die but wait isnt there always a man and a tower wait theres infinite dimensions so shouldnt there be one where all of your versions dont strangle me and kill themselves wait WHATS THE FUCK oh wait company bankrupt rip
>>
>>320155691

I'm pretty sure he wore it unironically while they were just unfashionable and not top meme status, and afterwards, he saw no reason to stop.
>>
>>320155691
He made fun of himself for it in one episode
>>
>>320161258
Are you insane? the only people that thought that BI was worth a shit were retarded gaming journalist that needed some validation for their work and medium. Everyone else knew the game was fucking garbage.
>>
File: dog slap.gif (1 MB, 400x229) Image search: [Google]
dog slap.gif
1 MB, 400x229
I like Yahtzee as a game critic and commentator. But if I met the guy in real life Id probably pop him one.

I don't know how his pal Gabriel puts up with his shit. He's also either interrupting him, or prodding him with false scenarios or just being an otherwise childish twat.
>>
>>320162252

He hated Bioshock 2 because it was like Bioshock 1 and he hates sequels that are too much like the previous titles.

Except Silent Hill 2.
And Just Cause 2.
And Spider-Man 2.
And a shitload of other sequels.
>>
>>320162635
NOPE
O
P
E
>>
File: seriosulybro.jpg (13 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
seriosulybro.jpg
13 KB, 512x384
>>320163753

I really don't get him sometimes. He acts like his tastes are refined and sophisticated but then it turns out he's just a big fag Lovecraft fanboy, who lets be honest is pretty Freshman stuff
>>
>>320162153
Heard somewhere that he didnt really like it and he just accepted a bribe because at that point in time he was really depressed or something and didnt feel a shred of integrity
>>
>>320153289
>caring about what other manchildren say about video games

glad to see nothing on this board has changed
>>
>>320164040
He is also a hypocrite. He hated Demon's Souls but for some reason loved Dark Souls. It makes no sense.
>>
He's funny and entertaining

If you're looking for "Serious" video game reviews, I suggest you stop listening to video game reviews and make your own opinions
>>
>>320164596

Well, in fairness he said he was gonna give Demon's Souls a revist and has since warmed up to the whole.."SOULS" genre.

The Dark souls and Demons souls reviews where spaced pretty wide time wise and it is possible for an opinion to change over time. I used to not like fighters but in the past couple years have become a pretty big fan.

So, no. I wouldn't really call that being a hypocrite. You're not locked into an opinion for life.
>>
>>320156741
This is a decent point
I mean we never even heard the word nigger something that was commonplace then
These people are nothing more than lightly racist by today's terms
But judging people with hindsight isn't exactly fair
We don't go look at the cavemen and go "wow they're so fucking stupid, why don't they just build a gun to kill their food? Why are they chasing it with clubs"
>>
>>320157942
Matthew said he might not even do a bloodbourne, or MGSVTPP review, and if he does he says it will be a while
>>
>>320153289
I think they guy's content is pretty good waste of my time. Certainly the only funny game related person I've seen on the internet.
>>
>>320153289
>clickbait title that has nothing to do with the article at all
amazing.

Also why the fuck would you ever take that guys opinion for anything? Read his Monster hunter 3 "critique" and you would know he is retarded as fuck.
>>
>>320165994
Well exactly. Segregation was still commonplace in many places for decades after this game was set, and the assertion that you could rank races in order of quality was basically assumed among most people. Hell, even welfare states didn't exist for quite a long time after that, the idea that people who didn't work 12 hour days should starve was pretty commonplace too.

In general, the world today is a lot less shit than it was then, and acting like today's utopia is anything like a 1912 utopia or a 2112 utopia is nonsense.
>>
>>320163623
To be fair, Gabriel is very often a preachy cunt. And he does often talk in circles, which can get very frustrating. Not to say that Yahtzee is innocent, but both of them can really start to grate after a while.
>>
>>320153289
>it doesn't suck because it's not the usual AAA shlock
No I don't agree. Not being the same old shit doesn't make it not shit.
>>
>>320157167
Go to bed Matthew
>>
>>320153289
Title aside, I found the article to be pretty accurate. He shits on the rest of the game, rather than rambling on and on about endings like spergs do.
>>
>>320167308
>And he does often talk in circles

yeah cuz Yahtzee keeps interrupting him and not letting him talk
>>
>>320166147
Yeah I know, which is fucking sad. I wish he could do this full time, his knowledge and humor and hindsight has return me my faith in reviewers. In an age where the average reviewer is either a fucking casual or paid shills it is nice to have someone that does reviews in depth and expect you to understand basic concepts of level design or visual graphics for you to completely appreciate his reviews. Yatzee and SBH are just quick fix until Mathew does a new video (If you are reading this, get to work motherfucker!).
>>
>>320169370
He actually just started to leave his job a month ago to start doing videos full time now, but you're right super bunnyhop, Yahtzee are just stop gaps, mrbtoungue is another decent stopgap too
So he put in his 2 weeks or something but he said he was going to leave slowly and take his time to make the transition as smoothly as possible for his company
I assume he has made the transition by now to doing videos but it'll be a few weeks before he is finished anything major
He is working on something small though that should be out any minute now
>>
Well the whole game sucked so for people who liked the rest the ending should be right up their alley.
>>
>>320163623
>>320167308
Apparently that's how friendships works, by giving each other shit.

Them crazy Australians
>>
>>320155691

He wore it back when they didn't have any of the associations that they do now.
>>
These "funny review" guys all suck. they can only make a good review that is cringy or a funny video that is half assed or biased. Yahtzee is the latter.
>>
>>320165994
>I mean we never even heard the word nigger something that was commonplace then

I'm pretty sure they just weren't allowed to do it in the game. Especially since negro was in no way a derogatory term.
>>
>>320166147

I already got GermanSpy's thoughts on Bloodborne, I think he summed it up fine.
>>
>>320175139
Bioshock Infinite was rated M, right? Look how many N-bombs GTA drops. This wouldn't cause any kind of outrage, Levine was just spineless.
>>
>>320175371
>Look how many N-bombs GTA drops

The majority of which by black characters.

>Levine was just spineless

Well that I agree on.

BSI is racist to the level that people who have never dealt with actual racism can tolerate.
>>
>>320175612
>is racist for people who have never experienced it
Nailed it
>>
Yahtzee is always right.
>>
>>320153289
>reduced to writing clickbait for the escapists
wow such master race
>>
>>320170084
That is great to hear! I love his reviews, his review of TLOU was the best one I read of all the ones. He basically points out most of the issues with the game and design but also points out that it isn't as detrimental as some of the most radical /v/irgins says about the problems of the game.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.