[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>start mmorpg with holy trinity >feels like the population
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
File: 1444884098001.jpg (42 KB, 486x571) Image search: [Google]
1444884098001.jpg
42 KB, 486x571
>start mmorpg with holy trinity
>feels like the population consists of 10% tank, 20% healer and 70% damage dealer

Why? Is it more a "tank and healer is boring" mindset or more a "I dont like playing a class where I cant slack off most of the time" mindset?
>>
as dps all you have to do is follow the tank and the healer, literally brain dead role

as a tank you need to know how good your healer and what are his limits and pull accordingly

as a healer you need to be on your toes all the time because you need to heal both the tank and the brain damaged dps's who stand in fire

so basically dps is just easier and suits autists
>>
>>319993983
People wanna be the damage dealing hero. What a surprise.
>>
>>319994868

As someone who plays exclusively tank classes in MMO’s that allow it I can say this is complete and utter bullshit.

Tanks have next to no job. We walk forward and we engage anything anything we come across. If we die it was the healers fault. If the DPS dies it was their fault and if the healers die it was their fault as well.

As a tank the only thing you have to worry about are ground mechanics and if you aren’t stupid about your abilities you can usually soak them.

DPS requires no skill but at least they have to wait for someone before they start fighting.
>>
>>319993983
Because people want to kill shit. Especially in PVP.
Tank is basically being a target practice doll and healer is just boring. Even if you heal a guy who kills 10 people alone, you're just a guy who healed him. He's the one who murdered them.
>>
File: justmyimagination.png (737 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
justmyimagination.png
737 KB, 1920x1080
>>319993983
>>319994868
>>319995472

All of these. If yo'ure a tank or healer, people blame you for everything I'll add.

Tanking and Healing mechanics are almost always boring, and DPS gives ''scores'' via DPSmeters, so you can wave your epeen across the screen after every pull.

For whatever reason, MMO's are designed to make DPS look awesome. Which is why everyone chooses it. The ''cool, edgy'' classes are also mostly DPS.
>>
>tfw always go to tank build
>can't stand playing in a party
>>
i slack more with the tank than with my dps
healing is fucking boring always
>>
Tanking and healing are boring as fuck in most games. The only time healing has ever been fun for me are in FPS games as a medic class or whatever. And that's usually because they can also put out some decent damage and actually do shit other than babysitting green healthbars.
>>
DPS are fun because that includes classes like the warrior using a big two-handed sword. Or the mage slinging spells. Or the rogue stabbing from behind. Or the hunter sniping from the back.

All that stuff.

Tanks can be somewhat okay but not everyone likes using a small sword and a big shield.

Healers are for maximum faggots
>>
>tfw healslut
>>
>>319995947
I remember a time where I could play a dps class and not be a useless cunt waving my epeen DPSmeters around. I remember a time when WoW (for example) wasn't dumbified to hell and back, a time where raids were hard and you NEEDED crowd control, a time where the meta wasn't "tank go pull, healer overheal the tank, dps faceroll".

Good times that are never coming back... or maybe they did come back, dunno, stopped playing WoW 5 years ago, and my only MMO after that was GW2 of all games.
>>
Tanking goes against my mindset because I want to avoid getting hit
Healing goes against my mindset because I want to kill shit
>>
>>319996423
>tfw can't find slutty healers and think this is a meme
>>
Back when I still played Rift, tanking was definitely the easiest job. Healers and DPS had the bigger impact in raids. Healers needed to keep everyone topped off, esp tank if he's about to take a big hit. And then there's the harder job of raid healing. As for dps, you needed to know your rotation well if you want to be worth something. If the boss hits their enrage timer, this is almost 100% the dps's fault
>>
>>319996465
sorry i meant
>tfw shy healslut
>>
>>319993983
I am almost always the healer, but you know what the average person does for a pretty significant portion of their leveling time? Play alone.
Quite often in these games, that means when you're going off and questing away till you reach the inevitable "end-game" you're just healing yourself and having painfully protracted wars of attrition with the random mobs.
So Tank = get hit, hit back, take more hits than your enemy
Healer = get hit, hit back, get hit get hit get hit, heal, hit back etc till your enemy is bored to death
DPS = flip out and kill shit all the time
>>
Nobody wants to be a cu.ckold .
>>
>>319996614
Ideally you would have a game where all content from beginning to end requires teams. Like the original Guild Wars or something. Fuck, I miss that game so much.
>>
Because most dungeons / raids don't require an equal level of Tanks, Healers and DPS? Also PVP, which 9/10 times Tanks are completely useless in.
>>
>>319996704
yeah, but those ideals are pretty rare to come by. often times a "healer" in solo play is easily replaced by a rest system, healing potions, or even the popular "out of combat, here's all your health back" FPS like regen.
>>
>>319996704
there was something charming about not being able to fill a group and having to use half-gimped team members by using the henchmen in every town i nostalgia the most over the mountains and jungle because that was the perfect mix of just starting to know what i was doing and actually getting into groups but still exploring the world
>>
>>319993983
Tank and healer are boring, but in these mmos dps is usually boring as shit too but at least when you're playing alone the enemies die more quickly.
>>
>>319996892
>>319996704
You cunts are gonna make me cry of nostalgia in here.
>>
>>319995869
>Tanks have next to no job
maybe if you're shit tank who lets his party members die

> If we die it was the healers fault. If the DPS dies it was their fault and if the healers die it was their fault as well.
if tank dies it's most likely his own fault, unless healer went afk or something. If you cannot survive for 5-10s without heals then you're shit tank. If DPS/healer dies it's tanks fault for not grabbing aggro correctly (unless the DPS/healer died from AOE effect, then it's their fault).

>As a tank the only thing you have to worry about are ground mechanics and if you aren’t stupid about your abilities you can usually soak them.
AOE effects, moving boss in such way that melee DPS players can still reach him without standing in AOE, tactics - tank switching for bossess that require it, kiting, pulling mobs just the right way so the OT gets pack of smaller mobs while MT gets more dangerous enemy, managing aggro (as we previously established, DPS players are braindead and won't wait for you to build up threat, instead they will attack as soon as you do, sometimes ranged will attack even before you - you need to know how to manage those situations), etc.
>>
File: 1367326475629.jpg (78 KB, 637x476) Image search: [Google]
1367326475629.jpg
78 KB, 637x476
There are plenty of reasons people prefer DPS or to dislike healing/tanking. They vary from person to person. Some people just like the sensation of getting a fat crit or somesuch, it feels good. Some people are uncomfortable with responsibility - it's a heavy burden. Some people are attached to particular aesthetics. Some people have even tried other roles and failed, I'm sure. And in MMOs, failure is pretty discouraging, especially given one's average sort of company.

For the record, I do play all three roles of the trinity to some degree. I think my strengths and weaknesses lend to healing the best (good at decision making and resource management, bad at not fucking up rotations and generally weak at movement), but I'm really passionate about improving as a tank. These can be really stressful jobs, so I don't blame anyone for avoiding them, particularly in whatever endgame content.
>>
When I used to Heal and Tank I found I was intimately aware of all the bosses, their names, abilities, timers, who was in the raid and what they were doing, the patrol paths and so much more. Eg. I'd be aware of the differences between every healer and their healing amounts, which tank had higher block and all that shit.

Then I decided to DPS instead and I eventually noticed how little I actually bothered to pay attention to. I used to know who was taking damage and how much they took, but as DPS I was barely cognizant of my own health except when critically low or DEAD.

Everything else was pretty much a non-issue since someone else was handling it. I can barely remember the mechanics of a lot of fights I did as DPS, yet still remember shit I did even earlier when healing or tanking.

Besides, a good tank can pretty much make anything amazing.
Good heals keep everyone alive despite chronic retardation and risk taking.
Good DPS kill stuff good, usually by not even bothering with agro because it plainly doesn't fucking matter when you hit hard enough.
>>
File: 1447307955753.jpg (47 KB, 299x268) Image search: [Google]
1447307955753.jpg
47 KB, 299x268
>>319997628
Dude, that shit is obvious, and it's easy as fuck.
And that is coming from a guy, who always plays tank in mmos (no that poster above).
>>
>>319996427
>>
>>319999038
What part is obvious and easy as fuck? Managing brainded DPS players? Learning tactics of each and every encounter, and most times not just tank tactics but healer/DPS too because you need to know where everyone is and what everyone is doing? Struggling with threat generation because those fucking ranged DPS just can't wait 3 fucking seconds at the beginning of a fight, and attack boss even before you manage to get to it?

It's like this >>319998543
anon says, as a tank/healer you need to know exactly what is going on at all times, as a DPS all you need to do is to press the buttons in right order so that big numbers appear on your screen.

>been playing different tanks since WoW launched, also had one healer and then mage dps
>in other mmos I only play tanks
and I would say the difficulty goes:
Healer >= Tank >> DPS
>>
>>319993983
because being DPS also works when going on your own

the game isn't just dungeons or teams most of the time, so people choose what levels easily
>>
File: 1444050042149.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1444050042149.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>>319999472
>What part is obvious and easy as fuck? Managing brainded DPS players? Learning tactics of each and every encounter, and most times not just tank tactics but healer/DPS too because you need to know where everyone is and what everyone is doing? Struggling with threat generation because those fucking ranged DPS just can't wait 3 fucking seconds at the beginning of a fight, and attack boss even before you manage to get to it?

That part. I always thought that this shit was kind of a given, and it wasn't hard. I guess that's just me and my time spent tanking shit for 11 years straight.
>>
>>319999743
Well anon, you should play as DPS then.

You will see that compared to tanks DPS builds are piss easy.
>>
Nobody plays a healer now ever since the forbidden 'C' word was spread across the internetz.
>>
>>319999472
Healer is almost never hard, and depends a lot on having a good tank

Tank > Healer >> DPS for sure
>>
>>319999651
this. most people probably don't think of end game when creating their first character.
>>
>>319999979
Cunt?
>>
>Looking to group as a tank in LotRO
>Go into the queue
>Pops almost immediately
>Get in the group, say hello
>One player says, "He isn't a guardian."
>Vote kick started, kicked
>Ok, try again
>Get into group, "Fuck, we wanted a guardian."
>Vote kick started, kicked
>Repeat for half an hour

Being a warden is suffering. Any other games have shit like this happen? Guardians are better for some encounters where there is going to be huge spike damage, but that is really reserved for raids.

The biggest problem was that wardens get all of their tanking tools and gambits until the late 40's, so leveling up everyone thought that they were subpar tanks. After that point, we have access to all of our dot's, self hots, health leeches, and taunts.
>>
>>320000000
>>
File: The-Boss.jpg (42 KB, 500x268) Image search: [Google]
The-Boss.jpg
42 KB, 500x268
>>319999857
Every role is important, anon. Yeah, maybe it's easier than other's, but it's a raid spot which needs to be filled, and we should just be nice to each other. We are raiders after all.
>>
>>320000078
kek
>>
>>319993983
A very large majority of player will be shit whatever the role ill pick. I sure as hell dont want to tank or heal for shitters so id rather dps very well and be done as fast as possible...
>>
>>320000117
Ram best girl confirmed.
>>
>>319999979
you mean kek?
>>
>>319995947
As a career healer

I cant keep bitches off my sleek, firm staff. Only shit DPSfags bitch at healers because they will never ever get healed since they are not supposed to be drawing aggro.
>>
>>319999979
How does healing make you a cūck? Please explain.
>>
>>320000690
I'm sure I wrote kek just now
>>
>>319993983
healers are faggots. And tanks are bad for grinding.
>>
>>320000815
You're tanks bitch
>>
>>319993983
It usually doesn't help that 3/4 of classes are DPS classes.
>>
There hasn't been a good mmorpg in the last 10 years and there never will be, so this topic is useless.

The last good MMO was called Lineage 2, everything after that has been garbage after garbage.

FFXIV was great at launch from a technical point of view, you needed people for everything, and the crafting was made with guilds in mind, you couldn't even craft a goddam sword hilt alone.
The UI was garbage though.

MMORPG is a dead genre, replaced by single player online RPGs
>>
>>320000931
There is LITERALLY nothing wrong about being devoted to your tank husbando.
>>
File: ok i will pull the boss now.gif (1 MB, 398x305) Image search: [Google]
ok i will pull the boss now.gif
1 MB, 398x305
>>320000815
because most are fucking terrible and parasitically latch onto the tank.
>>
File: healers.jpg (82 KB, 780x435) Image search: [Google]
healers.jpg
82 KB, 780x435
>>320001056
No one said there was
>>
>>320000115
Does LotRO even have end-game raiding? I always saw it as a role playing-friendly game to dick around in Middle-earth and not much else.
>>
File: 177203.jpg (288 KB, 1000x799) Image search: [Google]
177203.jpg
288 KB, 1000x799
as the tank you pull the boss around, you're dealing damage, dodging shit and using defensive cooldowns and healing/shielding abilities

it's the most complicated function AND the easiest to fuck up, of course the least people will be playing it

also it's the coolest
>>
File: healers2.jpg (212 KB, 715x1584) Image search: [Google]
healers2.jpg
212 KB, 715x1584
>>
>>320000764
If you let an overgeared dps die because he draw agro in a pug youre pretty stupid not him, your run would end 3 times faster.

Also pve speaking, healing is the easiest job by far, go play pvp if you want challenge with your role...
>>
>>320001063
Godddamn
>>
>>320001150

It used to. I don't know if it still does, but up until the isengard expansion, it still had end game raids. But now they got rid of pretty much everything that made it unique and gave the classes more "streamlined" abilities through power trees instead of the old system so the game would be "easier for newcomers". All to make you buy their turbucks and fuel micro transactions.
>>
>>319993983
I don't really play MMO's since they are fucking shit. But the few times I do I like pure DPS because it's more calming. Nobody really relies on your the way tanks and healers do.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.