[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sakurai Interview: Fire Emblem 25th Anniversary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13
File: masahiro_sakurai[1].jpg (299 KB, 1100x619) Image search: [Google]
masahiro_sakurai[1].jpg
299 KB, 1100x619
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

>Interviewer: So, can you tell us the story about how Marth and Roy became playable characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee?

>Sakurai: Well, I wanted to include Marth in the original Smash Bros. game, as a sword-wielding character. But for Smash 64, there were some features we barely finished in time, and the four hidden characters were created only on the premise of being able to reuse some movements and parts of the models of pre-existing characters, so in the end Marth couldn’t make it in.

>Interviewer: As for the rationale behind wanting to add Marth, was it because you felt that out of Nintendo’s many franchises, Fire Emblem is one that should be included?

>Sakurai: That is a big part of it, and in terms of character diversity I did want more variation in terms of sword-wielding characters. I thought in comparison to Link—who’s more of a strong, direct swordsman—someone with finesse, a swordsman who relied more on technique, would be a lot of fun. On top of that, when we narrowed the possibilities down to the popular franchises of the time, we felt some restrictions. So among the possibilities, Fire Emblem was a franchise boasting multiple popular titles, and I thought there was more than enough value in including a character from Fire Emblem. So, in the next installment, Super Smash Bros. Melee, I had decided to include Marth at the start. Then, while thinking about a potential clone character, Roy came up. His game was in development at the time, and so he was added.
>>
>Interviewer: In Smash for 3DS/ Wii U, there are far more Fire Emblem characters on the roster than in previous games. How did you go about the selection process for these characters?

>Sakurai: It really depends on the situation. For example, Roy and Robin were included for completely different reasons. It also depends on luck, of course. Industry trends around the time when development begins is a pretty big factor. I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii U right after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening was released one month after Uprising. So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important. Characters are almost never added after I’ve completed the project plan for Smash.

>Interviewer: So once that project plan is set into motion, everything is already fixed.

>Sakurai: If I had to offer up one exception from this time, it would be for Pokémon. We knew there was going to be a new release soon, so we left one spot open for a new Pokémon, and everything else continued according to plan. Adding or removing during the process directly impacts production costs and people’s workloads, so it’s not that easy to add or change things, and we take that into account.
>>
>Sakurai: We don’t think about adding in post-release content from the beginning. We want to provide as much as we can with the base game.

>Interviewer: But that means Awakening’s release schedule was pretty fortuitous.

>Sakurai: Yes, that was the case. For example, if Awakening was released six months later, Robin may not have made it in, and if it was six months early, they might not have even been considered.

>Interviewer: Was Lucina in a similar situation?

>Sakurai: Yes, that applies to Lucina as well. How much a character will please the players, how unique they are—there are a lot of factors that go into deciding a character’s inclusion. I don’t know whether Fire Emblem will have many more games in the future, but it’s not as if we have a stipulation that says “we have to include the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem game.” Moreover, we don’t even know if there’ll be another Smash game.

>Interviewer: You do say that every time, though, so I do wonder if maybe it’ll just keep on going forever.

>Sakurai: And I’ll become the Smash craftsman? (laughs)

>Interviewer: Yes. After all, including the DLC, you’ve been involved with Smash since the beginning.

>Sakurai: Well, DLC is coming to an end soon, too, y’know.

>Together: (laughs)

>Interviewer: By the same token, I think there are a lot of people who want you to make a new original game.

>Sakurai: It’s pretty difficult. If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things like Ryu, but if I leave, I don’t know if the staff could do it by themselves.
>>
File: 1438501414731.gif (2 MB, 424x320) Image search: [Google]
1438501414731.gif
2 MB, 424x320
>>
File: PANIC 2.jpg (4 KB, 118x125) Image search: [Google]
PANIC 2.jpg
4 KB, 118x125
>>319972910
Sakurai: Well, DLC is coming to an end soon, too, y’know.
>>
File: poll.jpg (724 KB, 1603x600) Image search: [Google]
poll.jpg
724 KB, 1603x600
>>319972759
>So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important.
BAM I KNEW IT
WHERE'S MIKU THOUGH
>>
>>319973437
Fuck that where's my Waluigi, he scored higher than dumbshit Miku.
>>
>popularity is a big factor

Squidkids confirmed?
>>
>>319973437
Inazuma eleven character when?
>>
>Popularity is big factor

And yet he shoved in three characters from his Great but not exactly gangbusters pet projects.
>>
>>319972654
>in terms of character diversity I did want more variation in terms of sword-wielding characters.
He finally got his dream with what, a 5th of the cast using swords at this point?
>>
>>319973763
It says what is popular around the time when he designs the project, splatoon came out this year (I think) and development started a while back. So probably not.
>>
>>319973957
But that's what's popular at the time. KI:U and FE:A.
>>
>>319973957

>Industry trends around the time when development begins is a pretty big factor. I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii U right after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening was released one month after Uprising. So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important.

>I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii U right after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising,

Lrn2read
>>
goddamn playing through uprising its clear how much sm4sh took from it. Fucking Samurai
>>
>>319973919
Mah nigga:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKGzcO-P7JA
>>
>>319972654

>the four hidden characters were created only on the premise of being able to reuse some movements and parts of the models of pre-existing characters, so in the end Marth couldn’t make it in

Luigi = Mario
Jigglypuff = Kirby
Captain Falcon = Samus

So Ness is the only unlockable character in Smash 64 that isn't based on a pre-existing character
>>
>>319974131
>>319974298
Yes but KI:U wasn't popular enough for two new reps or to have half it's enemies stuffed into Smash Run. It was just Sakurai reusing models and giving props to his own series.
>>
>>319974887
It was as you can see here:
>>319973437
I remember Sakurai posting on twitter that he was surprised that KI characters were popular picks in Nintendo Dream magazine back in 2012.
>>
>>319972910
Can the people acting like we'll be getting more DLC for years to come stop now?
>>
File: niggaplease.png (23 KB, 144x181) Image search: [Google]
niggaplease.png
23 KB, 144x181
>>319972910
>It’s pretty difficult. If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things like Ryu, but if I leave, I don’t know if the staff could do it by themselves.

No. NO. Let someone else do Smash, I refuse to have this biased hack stay on-board.
>>
>>319974643
Ness=Yoshi+Samus
>>
>>319975195
Not to mention he's wasting his time on making sure his team doesn't fuck up the DLC.

Selfish as it is, I really want him to try something original again.
>>
>>319972910

>>319975303
THIS
>>
>>319975303
>>319975687

who could do a better job than Sakurai with the smash series? he's one of the only guys
>>
>>319975303

I doubt getting someone else to do it would really matter, you'd all just find something to complain about anyway.
>>
File: 1449229449226.png (933 KB, 1366x716) Image search: [Google]
1449229449226.png
933 KB, 1366x716
>>319975303
>a bloo bloo bloo he didn't add my dumbass irrelevant pick, fucking HACKURAI
>>
>>319975896
They could just put a bullet through it. Sakurai has already tainted enough Franchises with his fanfiction.
>>
File: bored guy.png (116 KB, 250x300) Image search: [Google]
bored guy.png
116 KB, 250x300
>>319975303
The new guy would change it in a different way you don't like and you'd call him a hack too for not making a HD Melee port.
>>
>>319973437
>chrom highly ranked
>have lucina instead

but why
>>
>>319976078
Lucina was originally gonna be an alt costume for Marth but they figured since her voice would and model would have to be different they gave her slightly changed properties and a character slot and called it a day.
>>
>>319975896
>>319975941
>>319975952
>>319976039
No, I'd be all down for whatever the new guy does, as long as he doesn't play favorites and dance around his own incompetence. Sakurai's heart wasn't in it fully this time around, and it's a miracle Brawl didn't get tainted as hard as For did.

Get some fresh blood and take things in a new direction. The last time they did that, we got Splatoon.
>>
>>319976078
because he went with Robin instead and tossed in Lucina as a bonus
>>
File: [raughs].jpg (56 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
[raughs].jpg
56 KB, 500x500
>>319976265
Wait, you're claiming Brawl is better than 4 now? You guys are really fucking desperate to hate it aren't you.
>>
>>319972759
confirmed limited spots, someone please screencap this for the next time we argue over rosters for smash 5 or probably just smash nx
>>
File: 'Citation_needed'.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
'Citation_needed'.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>319975493

After 4 games, I'd say Smash has peaked. The most recent two were too entwined to consider the 3DS anything but a paid beta, though Smash Run is the best feature that had to be cut for RNG shitfests.

I think the series could use a good 5-6 year break. The NX doesn't need one until late into the life cycle as a send off of sorts.
>>
>>319976617
>Smash
>Late in a system's life
Never gonna happen. Smash is a system seller.
>>
>if I leave, I don’t know if the staff could do it by themselves

please get HAL back on board
>>
>>319976393
Brawl didn't have any shitty guidelines for characters(muh relevancy). Were it not for SSE, we'd have gotten more of them. The tripping was stupid, I'll admit, but the combat was better than For's. For's newcomers were advertising the recent games as opposed to Brawl's newcomers being popular and overall widespread throughout Nintendo's history.

You could say both were mixed bags.
>>
>>319975303
let fucking hal take the reigns on the next one, they are usually behind the good nintendo games anyway. hackurai is only one man, hal labs is an entire team of people. who do you really think does the work. the team who does the work or the ideas guy?
>>
>People keep saying there will always be Smash games.
>Sakurai says AGAIN how they can't keep going forever, and that this could be the last one.
>EVEN THE FUCKING INTERVIEWER LAUGHS AT HIM.

Why does nobody ever believe anything he says?
He says this could be the last one, but nobody believes him.
He says he doubts someone could take over in his place, but nobody believes him.

I am fucking sick and tired of fucktards never believing him unless its something that suits their needs.
>>
>>319977159
He's already laid down a formula that works and anyone else could follow upon it
>>
>>319976710
>>319976832
>HAL

They're not what they used to be. If you want pre-2005 HAL you're out of luck
>>
>>319977404
i do want pre 2005 hal, did the yakuza get them or something if not why cant they reassemble the good team at nintendo
>>
>>319977404
>Thinking HAL is bad
besides the shitty touch screen kirby, what have they made recently that's bad?
>>
>>319976710
Sakurai left because Nintendo was literally forcing them to Milk Kirby forever.

Have they done ANYTHING else since Brawl?
>>
>>319977404
The only hiccup I can remember HAL making was Squeak Squad and even that was only mediocre at worst
>>
>>319977647

Boxboy
>>
>>319977606
>>319977636
They lost their magic. Also, if you think they will do melee all over again you're wrong. They'll appeal to same crowd Sakurai has been appealing to
>>
>>319977907
thank you for using your alternate dimension sight to confirm things which haven't happened yet. so why dont you tell us who got into smash too?
>>
>>319977907
>They lost their magic
The only thing that could possibly back this statement is the fact that iwata isn't with them anymore and he was just an optimization genius. HAL generally hasn't recently made bad games
>>
>>319976721

What games were Pac-Man, Megaman, and Duck Hunt advertising exactly?

You're retarded.
>>
>>319975303
See, the thing about Sakurai is, the way he thinks is very unconventional, so that he probably fully believes that certain characters who we might want in Smash may not work, and also this way of thinking leads to some questionable choices into Smash's game design, like including certain modes like the Mario Party ripoff in Smash 4 or making Custom Moves unlockable and entirely random. He also really likes to appeal to casual players.

But he's the only one who really knows how to think of cool, unique characters too. I doubt anyone could've thought of Ryu the way he was implemented, or most of Smash 4's newcomers at that.

I feel like if someone else were to take over Smash, we'd get more decisions that would 'make sense', like making Ridley playable and such, but we'd lose a lot of the design philosophy that goes into making Smash characters.

With Sakurai gone, we probably wouldn't see any more inventive characters.
>>
>>319976832
The one who was asked by Iwata, who produced and bugtested the first two games and knows what happening in the background.
>>
>>319978120
>so why dont you tell us who got into smash too?
Cloud

Anyway HAL won't do the same they did during melee's era. You're dillusional if you think they won't make a game aimed towards a mass audience
>>
File: 1449382710472.jpg (314 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449382710472.jpg
314 KB, 1920x1080
>>319972910
>Sakurai: Well, DLC is coming to an end soon, too, y’know

Worried laughter.jpg

>Sakurai: It’s pretty difficult. If I keep making Smash, I get to work on interesting things like Ryu, but if I leave, I don’t know if the staff could do it by themselves.

Crisis averted?
>>
>>319976721
>For's newcomers were advertising the recent games as opposed to Brawl's newcomers being popular and overall widespread throughout Nintendo's history.

>Duck Hunt
>Mega Man
>Pac-Man
>Rosalina
>Little Mac
>Villager
>Wii Fit Trainer
>Bowser Jr.
>Mii Fighters

None of these were advertising recent games
>>
What will sakurai do now after smash?
>>
>>319974079
Are you a fucking idiot? He even said DLC is totally outside of the project plan. They don't think about the DLC for the design plan because they want to pack as much as they can into the base game as possible. Once the game goes gold, THEN they start considering who to pick for DLC. That means Inklings are entirely viable choices for DLC.
>>
>>319978703
you are delusional if you think melee wasnt targeted to a mass audience. it was fucking smash bros senpai.
>>
>>319974643
Don't forget that Captain Falcon's moveset is based off of the characters from the Smash Bros prototype too.
>>
>>319979003
64 wasn't that hot. So I don't know why they gave Sakurai so much creative freedom with Melee.
>>
>>319978812
They're mainly Nintendo mainstays or classics though, with the exception of the guest characters. And Megaman might've been because of Legends, although that's unlikely.
>>
>>319978917

Acquire cybernetic hands.
>>
>>319978917
Air Ride 2
>>
>>319974643
Many of Ness's animations (mostly hurt poses and ledge stuff) are directly lifted from Mario.
>>
>>319976078
easy roster padding
>>
>>319979260
I never really believed Sakurai to be too responsible for the good in the games. Just like we now know that Kojima and George Lucas weren't responsible for the good in their franchises either.

It would be like attributing all successes of America to Obama only.
>>
File: Air Ride 2 never.png (32 KB, 641x251) Image search: [Google]
Air Ride 2 never.png
32 KB, 641x251
>>319979536
Let go, anon.
>>
>>319979871
>Hates sequels
>Has come back to make Smash over and over
How many dump trucks full of money is Nintendo gonna have to send to get him to make Smash 5?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (32 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
32 KB, 960x720
>>319979871
>Kirby 64 was the last straw

Ouch
>>
>>319979871
>implying Sakurai doesn't change his mind every 6 months
>implying anyone can predict what Sakurai will do next
>>
>>319980017
It's funny that it wasn't the content or quality of the game, but rather it existing that made him leave.
>>
>implying nintendo won't shove bags of money up his fuckboi ass until he shuts up with his artistic integrity act, submits and makes what they want
>>
>>319980017
>>319980604
No, Iwata leaving the company was the last straw. Sakurai only left after he left. As we've seen so far the new president of HAL is only interested in making Kirby platformers and obviously this didn't sit well with Sakurai.
>>
>>319981267
I wonder if Iwata leaving this earth will be another final straw for him.
>>
>>319976078

He considered Chrom, but chose Robin instead because he was more unique
>>
>>319982410
I kinda wish Chrom was in so we could have bitching about FOUR blue haired sword users.
>>
>>319981801
>He Commits Sudoku with a Buster Sword on Stream
>>
>>319982880
To be fair with Cloud there's five blond ones.
>>
>>319983038
>Link x2
>Cloud
>Shulk
Is my memory bad or is your math bad?
>>
>>319983161
robin stupid
>>
File: 630x.jpg (124 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
630x.jpg
124 KB, 630x354
>>319983161
Technically six if you want to be pedantic about Female Robin
>>
>>319972910
>This could be our last chance to have krool
THIS IS IT BOYS

#KROC
#THE
#VOTE
>>
> Actually, at the time, Roy’s name was “Ike.” It was eventually changed to “Roy” later, but he even remembered a minor detail like that.

That's some interesting trivia. IS must have liked the name "Ike" enough to hold onto it.
>>
>>319983371
>>319983395
I thought that was white/light grey. Guess I'm colorblind.
>>
>>319984195
It's more of a platinum, but I do see that too.
>>
>>319981801
Definitely, Iwata has always supported him and given him the creative freedom he wanted. The new president of Nintendo might not do the same. This means Sakurai may decide to work on a non-Nintendo IP in the future if given the chance.
>>
>>319984885
mite b cool
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.