[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we all agree that for gamers the only true option (outside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
Can we all agree that for gamers the only true option (outside the 3 lucky people who can get Google Fiber) when it comes to internet service is Verizon?

>what you buy is what you get, no shared connection like with cable so your speeds are always at peak, instead of like with cable fluctuating wildly during peak hours
>all plans have 1:1 dl/ul
>pure fiber, no bullshit
>^ means stupid stable connection
>latency is ridiculous low
>Verizon doesn't have a real cap on data usage (you have to run enterprise tier servers and host content 24/7 to break their "cap")

Honestly there is no better choice for the majority of people.

If you have cable, please stop gaming online. We don't want your unstable, shitty high ping connection ruining online gaming.
>>
>>319735106
>Honestly there is no better choice for the majority of people.
people often don't have the choice because many ISP's simply refuse to compete

They actively don't compete to keep a monopoly on the regions they have. They know their customers can NEVER switch to anything else otherwise they have no internet because there are no other choices. Time Warner, Comcast and virtually every ISP recognizes this and attempts to preserve this. Customer support is notoriously shit for this reason as there are no incentives to open or upgrade services or infrastructure for any reason. Comcast is the worst offender with their datacap bullshit
>>
>>319735689
>Comcast is the worst offender

Damn right they are.

And you're right, not everyone has the luxury of choice. But god damn if you do and you aren't using Verizon (or Google) you're really fucking up.

I live in the Northeast and when we lost power for over a week due to Hurricane Sandy, I went in the basement and checked my FiOS box, it was running on battery and STILL working just fine. Once we hooked up our generator to the main line, and my router got power, internet was working rock solid less than 6 hours after the shit hit the fan. Telephone poles down everywhere, power out across half the state. I still have 85/85 mbps of solid, low latency internet.
>>
>>319735689
>tfw time warner upgrades their shit and doubles everyone's speed for no extra cost
>support has always been good in my area

I feel like I got lucky that my branch has people who actually care at all.
>>
>>319736094
That battery is actually for a landline, so you can call the police for help should you lose power
>>
Charter here, those uploads are too real and it hurts to breathe.
>>
>>319736186
I find that its very rare for this to happen, usually when there is a threat of a competitor moving into the area. Time Warner in Austin Texas doubled everyone's internet speeds when Google Fiber moved in. Time Warner knew that they couldn't charge ridiculous prices for shitty coaxial anymore when google was charging the same rates for upwards of 300 times the speed
>>
You know whats fucking shit time wanger cable is the only thing aloud in my area my areas max speed is 29.00mbs download if but time faggots charges me for 50 mbs because i also want wifi and they wont give me wifi unless i get at least 50mbs and that shit cost my 80 fucking bucks regular its another 15 a month to "rent" there wifi holy shit yes i mad. Its that or getto mexican satellite.
>>
>>319736202

It's the entire FiOS hook up point for all services, not just the phone. The line comes in from outside to the box, then splices off into a phone line, ethernet cable and coax cable. All 3 aspects require the box be powered to function.

But still doesn't change the fact that that shit was still rock solid stable and up during the worst storm in over 100 years.
>>
>>319736430
Thats a scam

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/buy-your-modem.html

Buy your own router, they cannot stop you from having wireless on their network. They are charging you for a free service. You call them up tell them to go fuck themselves, pay for your 29mbs speed and get your OWN router with your own wireless hookup.

>15 dollars to rent a wireless router

get your own, a good 70 dollar TWC compatible router and you've already paid your rental fee off saving just for 6 months
>>
File: gNzPC.png (57 KB, 834x359) Image search: [Google]
gNzPC.png
57 KB, 834x359
>american internet
lyl
>>
>Everyone who doesn't have Google Fiber or Verizon internet stops playing online

I mean, sure the connections might be better, but you're going to be cutting literally billions of people from online games.

For more obscure titles, or older games not many people play online anymore, they can't afford such a cut when the playerbase for such games is so small to begin with.
>>
>>319736675
Canadian internet is in a worse position than American
>>
>>319736271
Ditto, and it's the only available ISP here, besides Windstream which is even worse and three times the cost.

Hopefully Google Fiber gets here before I die.
>>
>>319736094
>Know a lot about computer networking, own my own modem and router
>Have Comcast
>every time the service people come over, I watch them work and help them do stuff
>the service person has labeled all my shit now so I can do 100% of the troubleshooting possible on my end over the phone with them
>even gave me a free upgrade to a higher tier of Internet speed and did extra work to give me better signal quality, which increased my internet speed 20% to almost 100 down

I have no issues with my ISP
>>
>tfw BrightHouse
>tfw 2Mbps upload speed

Kill me.
>>
File: att.png (298 KB, 707x436) Image search: [Google]
att.png
298 KB, 707x436
>>319735106
But what about att nerd
>>
>rebranding comcast 10 times in an attempt to pretend you werent the worst rated company of all time
>>
>>319736964

>Less the .5/mb upload

Kill ME.
There is no hosting for me.
I don't get it, because I get a steady 10 mb download for really cheap. I don't know why the upload is so abysmal.
>>
>>319737009
AT&T for a long time was notorious for their bad customer service and rolling internet outages
>>
>>319736909

No beef with the techies here. I remember 11 years ago when I had Comcast, the guy came to my house and I pretty much knew everything about what he was gonna do and helped him as well. He even saw me playing WoW at the time and went "I'm more of an Everquest guy." Dude was legit as hell.

But it doesn't change the facts about their actual service. You share the pipe with your neighbors, and their service drops frequently. We would lose internet connection almost weekly at night. This wasn't isolated to my area, my cousin and my girlfriend both endured this for years and they lived miles away from me.

Then there's the fact about their upload speeds and how shit they are. Cable sucks man. You got a cool guy to come to your house, and they even hooked you up with higher speed, but you still have the problems that plague cable like shared WAN, data caps and poor stability.
>>
>tfw mobile hotspot plan

Please give me your shit internet anons. I can't even watch a youtube video without running over my data limit.
>>
File: 4905822462[1].png (32 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
4905822462[1].png
32 KB, 300x135
>mfw 7€/month
Speed isn't that great, but I get <30ms all the way to France and Britbong servers
>>
>>319735106
>not 1Gb/1Gb Bahnhof
Not impressed Ameribro.
>>
File: 911111.png (407 KB, 517x601) Image search: [Google]
911111.png
407 KB, 517x601
>tfw 200KB downloads and 15KB uploads
>>
>>319737525
That guy has propper MMO tastes
>>
>>319736430
Get your own router. Don't use their shitty modem/wifi combos. They're trash.
>>
Daily reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xI847vQTto
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.