[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's be completely honest. No bullshit for once.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 23
File: FF7logo.jpg (33 KB, 648x340) Image search: [Google]
FF7logo.jpg
33 KB, 648x340
Is this game seriously one of the greatest games of all time? Is it actually the GOAT game?

Whatever your answer is, give an honest detailed reason for why you believe what you believe. This thread should honestly not have a single post that is under three sentences. Any post less than that should be disregarded as a shitposter with no substance to anything he has to say.
>>
Yes, cause its fun.
>>
File: cat-pc3.jpg (21 KB, 400x298) Image search: [Google]
cat-pc3.jpg
21 KB, 400x298
>>319575927
>should be disregarded
>should
>>
File: 1444990278681.png (233 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
1444990278681.png
233 KB, 512x448
>>319575927
It's good, yeah.
The world is neat and surprisingly comfy. The attention to details in environments is pretty amazing for a 1996 game. Soundtrack is great. Gameplay's nothing special anymore in 2015, but it's not over convoluted nor way too easy either.

Historically, it's also a quite significant artifact. It moved FF and technically whole Square away from Nintendo's systems, made FF jump from 2D to 3D, made the IP really skyrocket in the west, and made FMVs a common part of the genre and games in general. Plus it was on 3 CDs, aka damn huge adventure for its era.
>>
>>319575927

It's not the best, but it's certainly one of my favourites.

I'm trying to remember but I actually think it was my first ever RPG, apart from text crap on my Commodore 64.
>>
>FF7 remake
>episodic

Is this a good thing?

http://strawpoll.me/6211763
>>
Its not even a good JRPG
Easy as fuck, all characters are the same, stupid plot.
>>
File: move over.gif (2 MB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
move over.gif
2 MB, 300x170
>original has a good mix of humor and light heartedness amidst all of the bad shit going on, like the fucking planet dying and a meteor coming to blow their shit up
>remake is just going to go full grimdark and edgy on top of things getting censored and rewritten
>>
>>319576780
Damn that town really does look comfy. I do got to play this game again one day. To me it's story was entertaining more than it made sense. Which is much more important for a story anyways.
>>
>>319577047
The plot is fine, and the characters are all mostly the same so you can customize them how you wish. Far better than what games like FFIX did.

You're right that it's piss easy, but almost every JRPG is piss easy and has weak gameplay.
>>
File: blonde megaman.jpg (14 KB, 212x197) Image search: [Google]
blonde megaman.jpg
14 KB, 212x197
Still one of the best twists.

Couldn't see it coming, everything made sense the second it was revealed, and it wasn't the type of twist that just disappointed or pissed people off.
>>
>>319577794
cloud got keked by zack so much it was ridiculous.

couldn't help but feel bad for him.
>>
My only reference for this game was that it was considered overrated between the hardcore FF fans.
It was the last one I played because of it (earlier this year) and the one I've liked the most.
The intro is instantly gripping, the pacing of everything midgar is just perfect, and then you get the overworld as a treat, the materia system, and more especifically, the enemy skill system is just incredibly fun to use, great soundtrack, memorable cast, interesting story with an unreliable narrator, which is hard as fuck to get right and they did it, all around a great game.
>>
>>319575927
Not GOAT, but it's still great.
>>
>>319575927
It's a good game, a pretty damned good game, but not one of the greatest.

It is, however, one of the most important video games, as it is one of the games that changed the landscape of gaming as a whole.
>>
>>319575927

It's only held to such a high regard because it marked a GIANT transition in graphics and technology with the snes -> ps1, just like Ocarina of Time. And final fantasy was the shit back then.

For people not blinded by this nostalgia and technology association, it was just an okay jrpg". I played it in the same time frame I played legend of legaia, chrono cross, final fantasy 8, persona 2 eternal punishment, parasite eve and so on and those are much better games with WAY better plot. FF7 is just generic edge.
>>
>>319578909
You're joking right? Final Fantasy VIII is much worse written and plays worse as well. Chrono Cross' only redeeming quality is its soundtrack. Persona 2 has AWFUL gameplay, some of the worst on its system, and Parasite Eve is a fun little disposable game but its story and writing is terrible.
>>
>>319575927
The translations are... terrible. Atleast the german one and from what I've heard that alot of things lost in translation from jp -> eng
It's an okay RPG, I like the battle system alot. But the story is just.. so.. wow. Just wow. Not in a good way though, more in a above average deviantart fanfiction way.
I've played it without nostalgia goggles. Surprisingly I fell numerous times asleep while I've played it on my Vita. And that never happened to me before, it was quite nice since I always had problem to fall asleep in general since I was a child.
You CAN try out the game but FFVI is much better. It's good but not anywhere near as good as it was at the time due to its pre-rendered backgrounds, cinematics and music. Now it's just.. yeah whatever.
It's impressive what they've shitted out with the backgrounds but that's about it.
If you're a fan of basic turn based rpgs with a little twist try it out, but other Final Fantasy games should have a way higher priority.
>>
>>319577943
No? Cloud took his sword, his girl, and his clothes. All zack did was die and provide those things. That was only purpose in the original game.
>>
>>319578909
>all the games I liked were made for japanese females
kek
>>
Its a good game and one of my favorite games but I cant honestly give any rpg GOAT. I have yet to see an rpg with great gameplay. DMC3 will always be at the top of the list in my book
>>
>>319575927
Not GOAT at all, other JRPGs had better gameplay, setting, story and graphics while being older
>>
>>319576780
The entire game is on each disc, the only differences between them are cutscenes. Thats why ff7 8 and 9 have so many disc is because of the FMV's they packed onto them
>>
>>319579067
>You're joking right? Final Fantasy VIII is much worse written and plays worse as well

They play pretty almost the same with the difference that ff8 is much more fluid. And no, FF7 is not a well written game at all and the plot is EXTREMELY retarded. Not that ff8 is something to write home about because the truth is that no final fantasy game has ever excelled in writing and that's okay because it was never the point, but still.
>>
>>319579543
How is the plot of FFVII "retarded"?
>>
File: Mr W. Thinks not.jpg (25 KB, 239x352) Image search: [Google]
Mr W. Thinks not.jpg
25 KB, 239x352
>>319575927

No, its not. Simply, it is not the best in any area, and definitely has some shit areas.

+ It is fun to play. It is a long game. The battle system is good
+ Characters are mostly likeable, villain is a good villain
+ the story is decent
- Graphics are dog shit. Even at the time it was shit.
- Although a large game, there are many segments of back tracking which creates the illusion of longevity. By today's standards, that is a weakness.
- combat is good but lacks real strategy compared to other FFs.
- Very few meaningful choices, characters set in stone.

In answer, no. It is a good game, but overhyped. In my opinion people look at it with rose tinted glasses.
>>
>>319579587

It was as generic as humanly possible. Your typical white haired angsty teen wanting to be god and doing the most retarded shit ever. That's pretty much the story of 99% jrpgs like that. And then you find out you aren't actually who you thought you are and they hamfist some alien for no fucking reason in the thing and call it a day.
>>
>>319575927
it's really good
>>
>>319579627
> Although a large game, there are many segments of back tracking which creates the illusion of longevity. By today's standards, that is a weakness.
when was there backtracking? That would just result in you having to fight through a bunch of lower leveled enemies. Nice troll though.
>>
>>319575927
It was alright, I played it on a PSP emulator, froze at some key

If I cared more for it,I would have loaded it on my PS3, but... meh
>>
>>319575927
It's in my top 30, but I wouldn't say it's the best of all time. It's a solid 9/10 and it still stands up to this day. But anyone who says it's the best game ever is as delusional as the kids running around saying OoT is the best game ever.
>>
It was astounding. Once. Eighteen years ago. Many wonderful memories but would never play again on any format.
>>
>>319577794

Aerith dies has been memed to death over and over for nearly two decades, everyone on the planet knows about it, and it wasn't a particularly good or shocking twist in the first place.

THAT, however, is a twist that has stood the test of time, and avoided becoming common knowledge so people still get surprised by it today.

It really is the perfect twist. It would be so easy to ruin a character with a twist like this, but while it tells you that "ha ha Cloud was a loser all along", it also gives him an incredibly fucking badass moment to go with it, redeeming him instantly without lessening the impact of the twist.
>>
the only good thing about it is the pre-rendered backgrounds and oddworld did them so much better
>>
>>319579787
pulling straws here. Same recycled areas, backgrounds, even enemies with modded stats.
Take your glasses off faggot
>>
File: 1306260794172.png (10 KB, 156x152) Image search: [Google]
1306260794172.png
10 KB, 156x152
>>319579754
Ok so you never played it. Why wouldn't you just say that to begin with?
>>
>>319579072

>Playing a massive console RPG on a handheld
>Playing it in fucking German

Your input has been safely deposited in the garbage can.
>>
>>319575927
I really liked the characters and materia system but even at 10 I wished it got harder. I have a great memory playing it on the couch with my best friend there watching though. He just says "Why don't you go fight Sephiroth" while I was trying to win at Gold Saucer battle arena. I just said "I can try" and the next hour or 2 or however it took was amazing. Actually beat him and we were both pretty amazed
>>
>mfw they censored all the swearing from the black label PSX release on the Steam/PS4 re-release

FUCK YOU SQUARE
>>
>>319579972
>not knowing what pulling straws means
Anyway. Name the recycled areas. I'm sure you can name one, right? I mean it was such a huge part of the game and whatnot, right?
>>
>>319579787
>Poster gives clear pros and cons about the game
>"Nice troll though"
Stop being a nostalgiafag
>>
>>319580075
You should lurk a bit more or go back to your other meme site mate.
When the resolution of my handheld system is higher than the game itself there's no problem with that.
>>
>>319580005
>you never played it!

Typical assblasted fanboy copt-out when he runs out of arguments to defend a bland story. Go fuck yourself and actually try playing some other game instead of holding the one thing you know in high regards.
>>
it's ok.

combat has some strategy but the materia system makes all characters pretty much the same aside from their limit breaks
story started out fine but got pretty stupid towards the end
pacing is all over the place
>>
Yes, despite the weird translation it is still a phenomal game. The music is still incredible, the story is ok/good, the pre rendered backgrounds still look good.
>>
>>319580181
fuck me you sound mad, alright..
- The 2nd reactor you visit uses the same fucking backgrounds as the first,
- running circles around Midgar slums
- Having to go back to Midgar later in the game
- Junon x2

Practically every area requires you returning at a later time to some benefit.
>>
Nah
half life 2 is a GOAT game
>>
>>319579627

>Graphics are dog shit. Even at the time it was shit.

Wrong, it was revolutionary for its time and still looks good today. Confirmed underage for not knowing this.

>Although a large game, there are many segments of back tracking which creates the illusion of longevity. By today's standards, that is a weakness.

There is almost zero backtracking, retard. And the extremely rare cases of backtracking take like 5 minutes tops.

>Very few meaningful choices, characters set in stone.

It's a fucking JRPG, it's not supposed to be "choose your own adventure", thank god. The characters are actual characters and not self-inserts with no personality.
>>
It may or may not be one of the greatest games of all time, but it is certainly one of the most influential and iconic games ever created.
>>
As someone playing through it for the first time on PS4 with absolutely no nostalgia: I'm having a fucking blast. I'm about 8 or 9 hours in, just passed the Golden Saucer, and I can already see why this game is regarded so well. It's fun, the music is top notch, the dialogue is cheesy in a good way, the pacing feels really good. I dunno about GOAT, but it's definitely amazing.
>>
>>319580484
being mad over the reactor thing is pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>319580241

Resolution has fuckall to do with it retard.

It's called immersion.
>>
>>319580484
lol wtf? What, did you play the game for like 2 hours, get lost in midgar and then assume the game was shit? That's awesome.
>>
>>319575927
It's fucking fantastic. Entertaining story throughout the entire game. God tier music. Cutscenes like never before scene on a console. Gameplay was simple but the materia had a "collect them all" vibe to it.
Obviously it doesn't have the same impact as it once did but a lot of aspects still hold up if you can get past the graphics. Hence why the 2 decade cry for a remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T3srk8Dkuo&ab_channel=Tsai57
>>
>>319580484

You have to go back to a major town all of twice in the game? RUINED FOREVER

you're a retard, and you don't even go to the same places when you return later
>>
The pacing is weird
>>
File: when_da_bud_hit_u.jpg (15 KB, 545x555) Image search: [Google]
when_da_bud_hit_u.jpg
15 KB, 545x555
>>319577794
>Cloud takes off his helmet
>his theme starts to play

Fuck, I get chills just thinking about it.
>>
I doubt its GOAT, but I still enjoy it and it holds a special place in my childhood. Its not perfect but I am very fond of it.

I share the same thoughts with 8 and 9.
>>
its good but in all honesty FF8 is better
>>
>>319575927
For it's time, the game is pretty amazing.
Has a very strong start that doesn't bullshit around and puts you into the game in around 1 minute.
The graphics are great due to being pre-rendered, although when I played it again after not playing it for 10 years, it is sometimes hard to figure out what to do on a screen, since at times things don't pop out hard enough to see that it isn't part of the background.
Gameplay is passable. Materia is a great concept, and turn-based games were popular and easy to make, as well as very accessible.
Story is great as long as you play along with it's bullshit and don't think too hard about it.
Music is midi, but the good kind where they made it's flaws into assets.

I thought it was a great game, and while it isn't the best ever, I think it deserves to be on Top 10 lists simply due to it's impact. It made JRPGs popular in the west, was the best selling game in a series of best sellers, was an example of 3D done right, and was the PS1's killer app.
>>
>>319576982
>No "I don't care" option
>>
>>319581082
Could not force myself to play through 8 and I tried at least twice. Hated the characters and the whole thing was... gay. Not sure how else to describe it.
>>
>>319579543
>They play pretty almost the same with the difference that ff8 is much more fluid.
FF8 was not more fluid in any sense of the word. Junctioning was a far more fiddly and far more broken system than materia, the plot moved far slower than FF7's and involved a hell of a lot more scenes that made no sense and had incredibly shitty writing, and there are tons of cutscenes that drag on and on and on.

The only time the game actually gets up and goes is during Laguna's sequences.
>>
there's no such thing as a perfect game, or the greatest game of all time

That said, I love it
beautiful OST, good story and characters, servicable battle system (there may be better turn based battle systems, but that doesn't mean they should go full retard with an action BS in the remake FFS), good world and enviroments, beautful pre-rendered graphics

I know there are games that do certain parts better than FF7, but there aren't that many games that are better in every way IMO
>>
>>319579841

that's dumb

you're dumb
>>
>>319581306
If you're voting on the poll, you obviously care.
>>
>>319575927
It has good plot and good world for it to play out
The characters are memorable and likeable
Materia system was well made and allowed for many set ups and FUN in team building
Side activities like chocobo breeding are well made and actually rewarding(though I do prefer Triple Triad from VIII as much as side activities in games go)
Is it GOAT? Maybe, or maybe people just say that because they played it as they grew up and witnessed how much of an impact on gaming it had and that's the only reason for it's GOAT-ness. Is it a great if not fantastic game? In my opinion definetly
>>
>>319575927
No, not really. While FF6 is the game I can credit with introducing most of the things I hate about modern RPGs, FF7 is the reason that everyone and their mother aped them for an entire generation of games.
>>
>>319581060
>I share the same thoughts with 8 and 9.
This
I love the PS1 FF, the other not so much
>>
>>319581423
It doesn't matter to me if it's episodic because I'm not gonna bother getting it until all the parts are out anyways.

Thus I don't give a shit.
>>
>>319581363
They should've made an FF8-2 and had it be Laguna focused before Squall was around.

Include more Esthar and Adel shit.
>>
>>319581554
So, you're okay with it
>>
>>319581554
Great, don't vote, it doesn't affect you.

but, we all know you're full of shit.
>>
>>319575927

In the age before video on the internet, when people had to learn about games from magazines and the playground, this game was fucking everywhere. There was no media push, just tons and tons of fans asking if you cried when aeris died. That didn't happen by accident.

The reason I believe this to be different than games that reach this popularity now is pretty simple: this was a nerdy game for nerdy kids. It wasn't hyped as the game to play with your bros, it wasn't a game that made you feel particularly powerful (Assassin's Creed, CoD, MGS, Skyrim), it just connected with a lot of people. It made people care about a fictional world that had more connection to their lives than they realized at the start.

There's plenty more to say, but I'll let others say it.
>>
>>319581015
I never really gave it much thought but yeah, whoever did the timing for the music kicking in there was a fucking genius.
>>
>>319577794
I forgot, when was this? It's been years since I've played FFVII.
>>
>>319581616

FF8's pacing is so fucked. Every time the actual current plot gets interesting, our characters pass out and the tone changes entirely as Laguna. Then you get NORG and weird shit clashing with the breezy early music and comfy garden theme. Then you're helpless to watch a missile launch, then you're trapped in a prison with talking animals, which is the most bizarre contrast to the established aesthetic of the game.

That's not even mentioning space, TIME KOMPRESSION, or the ending. Good lord, what a clusterfuck.
>>
>>319575927
No.
It's a turn based rpg.
They are not known for being fun games.
Gameplay > Story.
>>
>>319575927

The Citizen Kane of video games. It was revolutionary for it's time, introduced many new techniques, but has aged like milk. It has a decent story, but not as amazing as its made out to be.
>>
File: 1443276430954.jpg (53 KB, 1000x518) Image search: [Google]
1443276430954.jpg
53 KB, 1000x518
>>319582253
>>
>>319582095
well it is a fantasy game mate
the characters dont brush it off like its nothing either
>>
>>319575927
Yes cause its the first game that mind fucked me
>>
>>319580484

>two reactors in the same city look the same

Lol
>>
>>319582427
every one like the story because they found the villain "cool", but in the end you just from point A to point B trying to catch him.

The story had a good flow to back it tough and good gameplay for a JRPG. But yeah the story is kind of meh if you remove superficial details
>>
>>319575927
Overrated. Sephiroth garbage tier villain.
>>
>>319582545

The NORG shit gets brushed over so quickly I thought it was a fever dream.

I actually love FF8 and it's weird, hazy story. I even subscribe to the 'Squall is dead' theory, or at the very least in a hospital bed hallucinating the latter half of the game.
>>
>>319575927
It is a really good game with a lot of content and memorable parts, which also made many breakthroughs in the transition of RPGs to the 3D enviroment.

It has just spent many years fermenting amongst the fans' cum and Nomura's fanfic sheets.
>>
>>319582761
The NORG bit was pretty interesting. Though I wish they had some bit of foreshadowing going on about it. Like, maybe let you visit Shumi Village before the NORG shit pops off, or even some paper work in Cid's office hinting at a Garden Master
>>
>>319580484
Confirmed for not playing pass midgar. Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>319582752
Sephiroth was cool and edgy, that was litterally the only thing he had going for him as a villain

But then most FF fans prefer style over substance so its actually an advantage.
>>
>>319575927
>Good?
Yes
>GOAT?
No
>GOAT RPG?
Not really
>GOAT FF?
Debatable
>Important?
Fuck yes.
>Must Play Game Before You Die?
-For RPGs, yes.
-As one of any genre, maybe.
>>
File: FF tiers.png (658 KB, 800x1320) Image search: [Google]
FF tiers.png
658 KB, 800x1320
>>319575927
>>
>>319583258

>FFIX low on the list

I'll never understand this meme
>>
>>319583258
pretty shockingly bad opinion you have there family
>>
File: 1435676252252.jpg (117 KB, 527x565) Image search: [Google]
1435676252252.jpg
117 KB, 527x565
>>319575927
It was revolutionary at the time. Now, the gameplay is pretty dated, but still offers interesting mechanics such as the materia system. The character models are definitely bad, and were pretty so-so at the time of release as well.

What makes FF7 so memorable is the world it takes place in. The characters weren't your typical Fantasy stereotype cookie cutter characters, and they all had their own backstories, character arcs, and development. Even the villains, from Sephiroth, to Rufus and the Turks, had interesting stories.

The environments of the game were really, really detailed, and the diesel-punk aesthetic of the game (Especially Midgar) was something rarely seen in not only games, but in general.

The plot of the game is actually quite complex, and deeper than most people give it credit for. Even without all the compilation additions, having Cloud as the unreliable narrator of his OWN story was pretty amazing, and is still interesting today.

I think everyone can agree that the soundtrack was, and still is, stellar. I don't really have much to say about it, it's just really fucking good.

All in all, I think FF7 is a really good experience in its own right, but what makes it REALLY ''legendary'' was all the things it did right when it came out. It made Square into the CGI giant it is today (for better or worse), jumped the franchise from 2D to 3D while making it a worldwide hit, and pretty much told everyone that RPGs didn't need to be run of the mill fantasy RPG to be a hit (not that fantasy games are bad).
>>
>>319583510
It's one of the weaker games. No customization of characters, battles take forever to load...
>>
File: 1444657842598.png (114 KB, 354x407) Image search: [Google]
1444657842598.png
114 KB, 354x407
>>319583258
>FF9
>mediocre
>FFX and FF8
>shit

i'm taking this bait
>>
>>319583510
>>319583510
because instand of having a cartoony story and "realistic" character it had a great story and cartoony character, most fans cant get past that.
>>
Been replaying this recently. Agree with a lot of stuff here, but i think it's also cos of the characters. Seems like every FF character since has either been too serious or jar jar binks. The characters actually have nuance and are equal parts childish, angry, and funny. We get deep insight into every single one of the characters' back stories. Plus it resists any simple version, and it turns out most of the plots they set up in the beginning are either untrue or go wrong and change. It's a mess, in some ways, but it works. Also it's stuffed full of melancholy.
>>
>Each part is the size of a full game
>mfw people believing that
>>
File: SmugMads.png (130 KB, 235x309) Image search: [Google]
SmugMads.png
130 KB, 235x309
>>319583660
>not mentioning the snowboard mini-game
>not mentioning the motorcycle mini-game
>not mentioning chocobo racing/breeding mini-game
>>
>>319575927
Haven't played it yet but I think VI is pretty fun and VII is pretty much the same game except with less glitches so I'm sure it'll be enjoyable.
>>
>>319584110
The motorcycle mini game sucked.

Snowboarding was epic as fuck, and chocobo racing/breeding is epic as fuck.

The submarine game was fun too imo.
>>
>>319583660
>plot of the game is actually quite complex
>big rock is going to destroy the world scenario
Yeah, haven't heard that before senpai.

>characters weren't your typical Fantasy stereotype cookie cutter characters
>edgelord MC with PTSD
>token black guy
>token big titsmcgee
>token furry
>token pure girl
>edgier katana mcbadass antagonist
>power hungry heir
Real deep m8.

The only thing unique about it that set it apart from the rest of the FF franchise at the time, but not unique to the JRPG scene. Honestly, Chrono Trigger did the punk setting much better.
>>
File: 1449264823267.jpg (71 KB, 486x718) Image search: [Google]
1449264823267.jpg
71 KB, 486x718
>>319575927
Pretty damn good game on it's own and easily the best FF of the series. It has the GOAT music, a really good party filled with well written characters that are fleshed out with each of them contributing, a good selection of waifus/husbandos, amazing dialogue that makes the characters even better, a good story, a likable MC lead, a lot of content and it's fun. Also, I played it for the first time a year ago and it holds up pretty well for this day, so I'm no nostalgiafag that experienced it in the 90's.
>>
>>319584382
>trying this hard to b8

you should try taking a bath with your toaster
>>
Chrono Trigger > FF VI > FF VII
>>
>>319584582
hes not that far though, sephirot is litteraly a nothin personel villain and cloud is an effiminate bishonen
>>
File: 1439853094069.jpg (42 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1439853094069.jpg
42 KB, 800x800
>>319584110
You're right, the mini-games were fun as hell, especiall;y the chocobo breeding.
>>319584382
Good b8 m8. I mean you COULD ignore all of their back stories and call them token characters, but that wouldn't actually represent the actual game. And you said exactly what I said when I meant people don't give it enough credit for its story. You could make any story look stupid and barebones by simplifying everything like that, and I mean, any story.
>>
>>319579627
>Backtracking

There was hardly any back tracking at all though.
>>
>>319584903
Sephiroth became mad after learning the truth about his origins, and realizing his own life was a lie. The one seen throughout the whole game wasn't even him, it was Jenova. The real Sephiroth is in the Northern Crater. Most of Sephiroth's ''threat'' is in the form of the ghost haunting Cloud's mind.

Cloud is an underachiever who never made it into SOLDIER (his dream), and ended up mixing his own life story with the feats of his best friend, after being mako poisoned. He spent most of the game thinking he was someone he actually wasn't, someone COMPLETELY different. Then he realized it was all a lie, and he was just a failure on pretty much every level, he was so ashamed of himself, that he put a helmet during his visit to his hometown because he didn't want his family and especially Tifa to see that he never made it into SOLDIER, but still managed to shake it off and became the heroic lead that he always wanted to be.
I mean, most people tend to forget Cloud's backstory, and just pretend he's an emo pretty boy.
>>
>>319583510
9 is more overrated than 7 on here.
>Shitty gameplay.
>Boring battles.
>Characters are dull as fuck.
It's simply not that good. 9babbys shut up and sit down.

>>319583628
I'd like to see yours. If you can't at the very least agree that 4-7 are the best ones your opinion is invalid.

>>319583734
9 is mediocre and 8 and 10 are even worse. Deal with it.
>>
>>319584382
>Cloud
>Sephiroth
>Edgy
>Aeris
>Pure girl
Confirmed not playing 7.
>>
>>319575927
It's unlike anything else in gaming really. The story and pacing is amazing, the characters are mostly great and the dialogue often will make you laugh, materia system is fun. From the moment you start the game you're right in the thick of it all and it never really dies down when you think about it, its a grand adventure with plenty of content, hidden items, and side quests. The OST is amazing too, each track is unique, once you've played the game once you probably won't forget those tunes anytime soon. They're fucking great, battle system is good too if you're down for atb. Some people don't like it but oh well, for me I just get pleasure in making my characters insanely overpowered and doing big dick damage. I love all the missable side content though, best part about the game
>>
Is the steam release worth it? Fuck swapping discs every two hours
>>
>>319580279
Not that guy but your gripes are vague as hell and its clear you have no real understanding of the game and haven't played it.
>>
File: 1437697568824.png (156 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1437697568824.png
156 KB, 600x600
>There are people here who dislike Sephiroth as a villain but like Kefka.
>>
File: 148953894967.jpg (88 KB, 1293x1080) Image search: [Google]
148953894967.jpg
88 KB, 1293x1080
You're doing this for the country? Same as us?
>>
>>319584382
Gross misinterpretation of the story.

>hating on diversity because fedora
This is some dumb shit right here.
>>
>>319586571
but those two were nothing alike.
>>
>>319586571
Sephiroth is great because of his legend and how insanely powerful he's supposed to be. You don't see him until after he fucks up shinra, you do a flashback where you see him fighting, and you see what he did to the midgar Zoloft or whatever. It was pretty intense build up. Kefkas just Hitler tier but he's a fucking jester
>>
>>319575927
It was impressive for its time

But what made it stand out has choked the series ever since.
>>
>>319584382
Why do you faggots bother replying to such long thought out posts with green texts and a couple sentences of nothing? Don't bother responding at all you look like a fucking tool
>>
>>319575927
It's good.
Visually, it's aged.
It's worth playing.

What are you trying to get with a thread like this? Final fantasy 7 is always a shitflinging contest on /v/.
Go to /vr/ with this, and you'll eliminate 50% of the shitposting
>>
>>319576982
>comments in /v/, yt, and everywhere else is overwhelmingly negative
>strawpoll is overwhelmingly positive
I smell bullshit.
>>
It was one of the most censored and poorly localized games ever, they completely cut huge chunks of the story out and changed the whole narrative.

So it's complete shit.
>>
File: 1449436840184.jpg (617 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1449436840184.jpg
617 KB, 1280x960
>>319575927
Greatest game of all time tier? No, probably not.
Is it a great game, though, that everyone really should play if they can? Yeah.
It's just so fucking memorable, the story, the setting, the battles themselves. Who didn't get insanely fucking mad at the dolphin, or demon wall, or Cait Sith?
The combat, which was the weakest part, still holds up decently and has a depth to it that's nowhere near as bad as people meme about. Is it possible to break the game? Yes. Is it possible to break every PS FF? Yes.
Dick could not be wetter for this remake, as I can still play the original at any time and really just want more of this world desu. I'll buy whatever episodic shit they crank out. Call me cancer. The last franchises I give a shit about have died or are dying, the industry itself is literally imploding and becoming one giant meme that companies cater to and I need to focus on life anyway. Give me one last trip into nostalgia and a world I genuinely loved and then I'll be fucking done with video games.
>>
File: tifagif.gif (234 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
tifagif.gif
234 KB, 342x342
FFVII has TIFA & Yuffie , nuff said
>>
>>319575927
>Is this game seriously one of the greatest games of all time?
No
>Is it actually the GOAT game?
No. It's not even the GOAT final fantasy.

FF7 is fine. It's better than fine. It's a solid game that any RPG enthusiast should edperiemce. Its predecessors however, and I mean mostly 5 and 6, do pretty much everything it does better. That's difficulty progression, role playing mechanics, and ironically enough, visual style. The leap to 3D wowed us at the time, but decades later the visuals are less than impressive, while the sprite stulyles of earlier games are still easily distinguishable. What's more, those pre rendered cutscenes are God awful and a good example of why TECHNOLOGY needs to be tested a bit before accepted as a new norm in many cases.

I like the game, I like the characters, and I still play it every now and then to this day, but it's not the 11/10 masterpiece PS1babbies her old it as.
That being said, I look forward to the episodic remake with cautious optimism.
>>
>>319588938
Hit the nail on the head
>>
>>319588270
Everything about that gif is terrible.
>>
I honestly enjoyed the plot twist of Cloud not chasing down Sephiroth to stop him but because he was being summoned as well as him never making it into soldier and living off Zack's legacy.

Hope they elaborate more on how Cloud was able to kill Sephiroth at the reactor. Thats another thing I liked. The boss of the game is already "dead" when you begin.
>>
>>319590028
>Hope they elaborate more on how Cloud was able to kill Sephiroth at the reactor.
You see it happen. It's not like Cloud kicked his ass or anything. Sephiroth figured Cloud was dead and he just kinda stood there. He clearly didn't expect a guy he impaled to throw him off balance.
>>
>>319579754
Cloud isn't white-haired. And which alien are you talking about, exactly? Isn't Jenova an alien like Lavos? And isn't Aeris descended from a race of aliens?

The plot isn't "generic." You're not saving a princess from an evil wizard. There's one thing you can say about Final Fantasy games and it's that their plots are usually crazy
>>
>>319575927
I think all JRPGs are bad games because of their shit gameplay. Nearly all RPGs actually, regardless of origin, JRPGs just happen to be more "cinematic shit" and to me that's far worse than just WORDSWORDSWORDS shit.
>>
is it the best game of all time? No, probably not, but it's up there in terms of JRPGs

I think we can all agree the SOUNDTRACK is fuckin' GOAT
>>
Not even close. It's immediate predecessor assures that, at the very least, to say nothing of Chrono Trigger or other genres.

But its still really fucking good. Touching story, good characters, fun gameplay, lots of flexibility. The big flaws are that the characters aren't distinct enough and its way too easy....also it looks absolutely terrible outside of battle. Easy fixes for a remake....

But instead we get shit. The world is unjust.
>>
For me, it's just a comfy game.

Any time I'm feeling stressed, or overwhelmed, I boot this shitty game up and play it. It was one of my very first video games for the PS1 and it completely blew me away.

Personally I thought the Materia system was great. The characters were memorable and grinding wasn't absolutely insufferable. The setting itself was interesting to me; the mix of technology, eco-terrorism, and mako.

So yeah, I'd say it's GOAT for my personal tastes.
>>
>>319575927
It's a great game with tons of charm and replay-ability but honestly there are better JRPGs, even from the same generation.

But I think it's safe to say if it wasn't for FF7's success and good job at introducing a lot of the western gaming community to JRPGs then the PS1 would of been a vastly different system. Hell we would of never gotten such awesome games like Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of Legaia, Suikoden II, Legend of Dragoon, Breath of Fire III, Xenogears, Grandia, Vagrant Story, and more in the US and some not at all.
>>
>>319583258
I consider every game in the meh tier better than either of your GOATs. Fuck them for destroying this series.
>>
File: 5641646321.jpg (26 KB, 642x384) Image search: [Google]
5641646321.jpg
26 KB, 642x384
>>319583258
>FFV and IX not in elder god status
>>
File: 1446243048707.png (130 KB, 500x573) Image search: [Google]
1446243048707.png
130 KB, 500x573
I'm new to FF, so if I sound ignorant it's because I am. The story is pretty good, but it's not really engaging. The graphics are great, especially for a game so dated. The graphics make all the characters feel like small toys in a colourful land, but that also makes the story feel kind of dumb when they try anything emotionally engaging. This is probably the thing I'm looking forward to most when the Remake comes about. Gameplay is great and I like limit breaks, but the timing system still feels kind of dumb to me. I much preferred Lost Odyssey for example. It also had better music, though the music in this is fantastic too. I kind of want the Remake to have the same gameplay as the XV demo, but I guess it wouldn't really make sense with all the warping and shit.
>>
Probably the best story in a FF. Materia System is one of the best magic/skills system. Characters have no jobs and are practically identical in terms of stats and abilities, even Limits are all the same shit when it comes down to it, only Aeris and Vincent are unique. I've never been able to decide if this is a bad thing, in reality it just means you decide what job a character is instead of being told. The ATB battle system is practically identical to many other FFs too. Music is great, but then most FFs are.

So yes, I'd say as one of the best FFs ever made it pretty much makes it one of the best games of all time period.
>>
>>319592180
A lot of what makes FF7 memorable is the little things and specific moments. Stuff like the entire midgar part, snowboarding, golden saucer, etc.

Also Tifa's funbags
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.