[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shenmue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 17
File: maxresdefault.jpg (70 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70 KB, 1920x1080
Can we have a shenmue thread?

>1 or 2
>Favorite song from ost?
>Do you think sega will release 1 & 2 hd?
>Are you hype for 3?
>>
>>319483920
I only ever played the first. I legitimately don't have a clue what that game was about. Something about fork lifts.
>>
>>319485858
how do you play a game and not know what it's about?

The forklift thing was a small part of the game and by then its about half way through. You're either lying or just fucking around.
>>
>>319485858
Shenmue (シェンムー 一章 横須賀 Shenmū Isshō: Yokosuka?, lit. "Shenmue Chapter 1: Yokosuka") is an open-world action-adventure video game developed by Sega AM2, produced and directed by Yu Suzuki, and published by Sega for the Dreamcast in December 1999 in Japan and late 2000 in other territories. It is the first game in the Shenmue series, a "revenge epic in the tradition of Chinese cinema",[3] which Suzuki plans to span at least four games.

Shenmue consists of open-world 3D environments interspersed with brawler battles and quick time events. It features a level of detail considered unprecedented at the time, including a day-and-night system, variable weather effects, non-player characters with daily schedules, and various minigames. The story follows the teenage martial artist Ryo Hazuki as he sets out in revenge for the murder of his father in 1980s Yokosuka, Japan.

After developing several successful Sega arcade games, including Hang-On (1985), Out Run (1986) and Virtua Fighter (1993), Suzuki wanted to create a longer game experience. AM2 began work on an RPG for the Sega Saturn set in the Virtua Fighter world. In 1997, development moved to the Dreamcast, the game was named Shenmue and the Virtua Fighter connection was dropped
>>
>>319483920
I've been playing the first game after owning it for quite some time and it's got good atmosphere and attention to detail. The plot and characters aren't exactly compelling, though, and I've finished the first two discs of the game.
Best song so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryQUlSHnhqI
>>
>>319488289
>and I've finished the first two discs of the game.

JUST YOU FUCKING WAIT FA.M

You're not even close to anything yet.

Wait until disc 3/4 and shenmue 2
>>
>>319488491
>Wait until disc 3/4
It's only three discs, though. The last disc is an online passport thing that doesn't work anymore. I'll probably finish it up this weekend, though, and hopefully I can find a copy of the second game for relatively cheap and an Xbox to play it on.
>>
I like them both. 1 has a more home feel and 2 a more adventure feel.
The Greg More track. Because of that interaction between Ren and Ryo
I want a HD version, I would buy them again with no problems.
And no, I am not hype. I just don't believe it yet until I actually see the actual thing.
>>319487753
>Shenmue Chapter 1: Yokosuka
>realizing that we never got the boat chapter
It would probably be boring but it is missing, as beating Chai again
>>
>>319488823
sorry its been awhile since ive played.

Disc 3 gets crazy though
>>
>>319488823
The 4th disc was an online thing, but don't forget about that character interaction "What's Shenmue"
>>
YEARS AGO, I WAS CHINESE
>>
File: RRGtaqQ.jpg (106 KB, 656x539) Image search: [Google]
RRGtaqQ.jpg
106 KB, 656x539
I just wanna emulate Shenmue without any fucking shadow issues
>>
>>319492303
buy a dreamcast and burn the entire dreamcast library anon.

They don't have any piracy protection so no modification is needed.
>>
I'm playing through it for the first time right now, im astonished by how much detial there is in everything, do wish the English translation was butchered but im still taken aback by the games magic even in this introductory stage of the game. Like i literally only just kick the shit out of charlie so im still early in.

Also god damn this game has such an amazing atmosphere and ost.
>>
>>319493249
the detail is still unsurpassed.

Yu suzuki is a genius.
>>
>>319493249
>buy a Dreamcast magazine in 1999
>see a Shenmue article
>those graphics, detail and kung fu
>"oh it's from the guy of Virtua Fighter, I like his games... Outrun and Hang on too? Never knew, love this dude"
>"oh fuck, I have to wait 1 year for the release"
>game get released in x-mas 2000
>finish the game
>realized that some of the pictures I saw in the mag and some stuff in the trailers weren't in the game
>realize later that 90% of what I saw, read and got hyped by was Shenmue fucking 2
Those bastards. That said, I wasted too much lurking Ryo's house, beating Fuck-you-son, knocking the door of other people's houses and going to Tomato or Super Mario Pizza Bros.
>>
>>319483920
>1 or 2
>Favorite song from ost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J75-h-QUxx8
>Do you think sega will release 1 & 2 hd?
No, Sega is only interested in Sonic & Yakuza
>Are you hype for 3?
Pledged $200
>>
>>319493249
Now imagine playing this in 1999.

It was fucking mindblowing.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
>>319494338
>Super Mario Pizza Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sc3fXLK4FE
>>
File: shenmue 3.png (394 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
shenmue 3.png
394 KB, 700x394
what do you all think about the recent update we got for S3? looking nice, can't wait to see what we get next time around
>>
>>319495875
post more son.

The amount of progress their making in just a few months is amazing.

Based Yu.
>>
>>319495664
*blink blink* what happened? last thing I remember, I pressed play on that video and now it's 15 minutes later
>>
>>319495273
Or Soul Calibur. It still looks good on crt
>>319495664
Thanks. Now that is stuck in my brain again
>>
File: work flow.png (363 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
work flow.png
363 KB, 700x394
>>319496039
gotcha
>>
>>319496650
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsibwSkp0as
>>
File: forest scene.png (479 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
forest scene.png
479 KB, 700x394
>>319496960
"The basic systems have been put in place and we are currently testing the Destruction (when objects break) and High Ground (environmental interactivity) effects. Unlike the development from 15 years earlier, we have assets already available to us and we are in an era where we can create prototypes even without a programmer. Programs, artwork and planning have become more closely related, realizing a new type of work flow for a new age. This new work flow utilizes both game engines, which used to be very expensive, and allows for work to be done on a more open, individual basis. I hope this will lead to everyone more fully enjoying their work.
"
>>
>>319497024
anata no konbini, tomato-mato...
>>
>>319497459
>[
yes please
>>
File: conversation testing scene.png (318 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
conversation testing scene.png
318 KB, 700x393
>>319497206
>>
File: regarding story.png (556 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
regarding story.png
556 KB, 700x394
>>319497724
alrighty

this is regarding story;
"There are eleven chapters that make up the story of Shenmue, and those chapters are the basis for the games. Shenmue 1 comprised of Chapter 1, and Shenmue 2 focused mainly on Chapter 2, but also incorporated parts of Chapters 4 and 5. The composition for Shenmue 3 has been finalized, and will begin with Chapter 5 as the continuation of Shenmue 2, to move on past Chapter 6. The story has been written to align with this structure; and the planning for the game elements that will go along with the story have been completed. This project was conceived to be scalable, since the game would necessarily need to be adjusted based on the Kickstarter. Once the Kickstarter was complete and the budget for the project determined, a detailed work flow was produced to fit within those constraints. Following along with the game work flow, we have now begun our baseline research work with UE4. I find this to be the most exciting phase of the game development. Having completed the baseline research, we will then move on to the GDD (game design document) and TDD (test-driven development) processes. Once these steps have been completed, actual production will begin.
"

Just some insight into the developing, i imagine.
>>
>>319497741
Confirmed, Ryo loses his arms in Shenmue 3.
>>
>>319497976
Thanks anon

Have you heard this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd4MyNqI0fo

First official shenmue 3 music
>>
File: 1437168543366.jpg (205 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1437168543366.jpg
205 KB, 1920x1080
>>319496960
>>319497976
>Chi You Men
>there is still that missing Xiuying's brother
>there is still a chapter in Umerika
>Shenmue 3 is still in/about China
The ride will never end. The pain will never go away
>>
File: CJZWg9IUcAANxcI.jpg large.jpg (39 KB, 480x340) Image search: [Google]
CJZWg9IUcAANxcI.jpg large.jpg
39 KB, 480x340
From yu suzuki's twitter.

These hotel plans look super detailed.
>>
>>319498468
If all the music in the game maintains a cohesive set of styles with the originals as well as this does then I will literally cry like fucking bitch with joy.
>>
File: CJ8HgOpUAAAH2p1.jpg large.jpg (24 KB, 480x303) Image search: [Google]
CJ8HgOpUAAAH2p1.jpg large.jpg
24 KB, 480x303
Looks like Ryo will get jailed by the chi you men and Ren has to break him out.

>>319499060

It's pretty much confirmed it will be at this point. The original composer is back on board.
>>
File: open world.png (515 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
open world.png
515 KB, 700x394
>>319498468
no problem, I'll be sure to drop by whenever they send more info out , and no I haven't, but holy shit that sounds great

>>319498630
there wasn't much about China in the slides besides that being the location still
>>
>>319499174
There were a few composers in the originals weren't there? Yuzo Koshiro being one of them I think.
>>
File: room and spooky scary shadow.png (412 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
room and spooky scary shadow.png
412 KB, 700x394
"A test model room within UE4. A shadow resembling Ine-san’s is present. Why do you suppose that is?
"
>>
I actually prefer 1 to 2 a little more, 2's NPCs don't all live in their own schedule. Shenmue HD is basically confirmed at this point, noconkid is working with Yu Suzuki according to his posts in ruliweb.com. I'm not "hyped" for 3 because I hate that word anyway and I don't think the staff really has the talent needed to go head-to-head with the current games, but I would like to see the story continue.
>>
File: CUKTbx6U8AEhEgT.jpg large.jpg (123 KB, 640x852) Image search: [Google]
CUKTbx6U8AEhEgT.jpg large.jpg
123 KB, 640x852
>>319499456
>A shadow resembling Ine-san’s is present. Why do you suppose that is?

God damn it awesome Japan is already spoiling shit.

Does Ine-San go to China to find Ryo?

Also

>Yu in China scouting locations
>>
>>319499520
>I don't think the staff really has the talent needed to go head-to-head with the current games

M8, the entirety of the original core that made Shenmue 1 & 2 are working on 3.

Yu knows what he's doing anon.
>>
File: martial arts.png (457 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
martial arts.png
457 KB, 700x394
>>319499594
Hahaha, apparently Yu also went to China to watch Martial Arts in action. Said he'd love to make it as authentic as possible
>>
>>319499520
>current games

Current games are shit.
>>
>>319499762
I wonder how the battle system is going to feel.

I doubt Sega is letting him use the Virtua fighter engine again.
>>
>>319499725
I know that. That's an entirely different matter. Look at the models of KS trailer. Those are not up to current game standards.
>>
>>319499943
>Look at the models of KS trailer.

Those were proof of concept shots that were made in UE4 in a day. Shenmue 3 hadn't even started development.

Yu already addressed this and said that he's not happy with it and will not stop until they look good.

This isn't tim schafer or some other hack. It's in very good hands bro.
>>
>>319500142
It's a case of
>I can do really good guys I promise, but I won't

It's a justified reason to not feel any excitement for the game. I'm not bringing you down for liking the game, I just have a different point of view than you.
>>
>>319499174
>Ren
Fuck yes! But 3 starts like what? Around summer 87? I am asking this because Guizhang(who?) must still have his leg broken since it's about few months after the ending of 1. He will probably be mentioned in some phone call like he was in 2 with a conversation with Joy. I do hope he eventually comes back, I liked that guy.
>>
>>319499920
I'm curious about that too, they're talking about destruction and what not(as posted >>319497206
), it kind of made me envision a yakuza type battle system, but i doubt it. I hope they talk about it more soon.
>>
>>319500508
>>I can do really good guys I promise, but I won't

I'll give Yu the benefit of the doubt in this case.

I totally understand where you're coming from though but i'm optimistic.
>>
>>319500508

Not him but you can already see an improvement within a few weeks here.

>>319497741
>>
>>319499920
Even if Yu wanted to use it, the last VF game came out like 8 years ago & SEGA doesn't own the rights to the very concept of that style of fighting game so I'm sure S3 will play largely as they always had
>>
>>319500574
Would you be cool with random battle encounters like yakuza?
>>
There was an anon here about 2 years ago that was saying Sony was going to pick up Shenmue 3 and that some execs were speaking to him in secret.

Everybody called him a faggot and laughed.

Just goes to show you never truly know who you're speaking with.
>>
>>319501131
a good mixture of it would be fantastic, imo, but that's because i'm a little biased towards yakuza(love the series), if that's where they'd take the combat/battling, I'd see nothing but fun with it.
>>
>>319501467
I think it'll be a good opportunity to show off the battle system a bit more.

Shenmue 1 lacked the amount of battles that 2 had.

Imagine the 70 man battle in UE4 with destructible environments.
>>
>>319501467
But Shenmue has mostly been a little more grounded in reality than Yakuza .. (well at least until maybe the end of Shenmue II) so it may not mesh well that random people pick fights with Ryo every 2 minutes
>>
>>319483920

>2, because i just started to emulate 1 yesterday, so i can't compare them
>Main theme and Tomato shop
>I hope so
>Yes, but the graphics look weird in the trailers so far
>>
>>319501642
Maybe not random people per say but maybe chi you men dudes that are after him.

Doesn't have to be every 10 steps like in Yakuza though. Just tone it down a bit.
>>
File: happy yu.jpg (84 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
happy yu.jpg
84 KB, 612x612
I do love how Yu is going out of his way to make the game as aesthetically pleasing as possible. In the presentations, he talks a lot about how important the minor details/environmental details are.

anyways, anons, great thread and it was fun sharing this info with you all, take care & see ya in the next shenmue thread
>>
this has been a great thread so far so tell me anons...

What was your experience with Shenmue first like?

Mine was christmas of 2000 during a blizzard.

Got a DC with a copy of Shenmue and the DC demo disc that came with sonic adventures,house of dead and ready to rumble.

It was fucking GOAT.
>>
>>319501927
>take care & see ya in the next shenmue thread

why you leaving bruh.

The thread just got started.
>>
>>319502150
Will Ryo kill Lan Di?

Will Yu give us the choice? So far the story seems to be leading to Ryo finding forgiveness in his heart and to abandon his revenge plot. Or maybe he disregards his lust for revenge and kills Lan Di all while becoming worse than him.

Also refresh my memory but why exactly did lan di kill his father? Was it ever mentioned?
>>
File: dP8fd.jpg (11 KB, 300x222) Image search: [Google]
dP8fd.jpg
11 KB, 300x222
>>319483920
ITS A FUCKING FORK LIFT SIMULATOR FOR ASSHOLES
>>
>>319502619
You know jeff is memeing around and likes it right?
>>
>>319502336
Ryo's father killed Lan di's father. At least that's what Lan Di and Yuanda Zhu said, until shit will actually get explained or the reason behind it.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.