[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> "Well, I got my degree in game design and I get to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: header.jpg (35 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
35 KB, 460x215
> "Well, I got my degree in game design and I get to work on the update to Dark Souls II. How can I use my skills to carefully alter world design to give new and old players a better experience. I've got a nice opportunity to improve on this game... I know what I must do...

MOAR ENEMIES!!! :3 XD

It's brilliant. I am a good game designer."

This was a really shitty update.
>>
>>318756080
I know this is a bait post, and I shouldn't respond due to it falling off the catalog as we speak. But there is never enough real discussion about Dark Souls II other than memes such as "B Team, and Shockwaves" or everything it does weaker than DaS1. (Mostly Level design, and enemy variety)

I feel a lot of people complain about DaS2, just to complain. Some complaints don't even have merit.

DaS II suffered from three (3) flaws.

-Level Design
There was no cohesion between zones. Going up an elevator into lava didn't make a lick of sense, and walking through a 5yd tunnel and seeing the weather has dramatically changed from a perfectly sunny day to a gloomy rainy one didn't help much either. I understand that the game that we were suppose to get was canned and they had to start over, as well as being rushed to pump out a game before DaS popularity faded. But I don't feel that like justifies the terrible level designs.
-Soul Memory
Everything about this topic has been discussed about this topic. Losing souls was enough punishment for dying. SM effectively made those that died even more at a disadvantage during invasions.
However, this argument can be shrugged off with the classic "Git Gud"/"Just don't die" as everyone and their mother use to do with DaS1 flaws.
-Lack of enemy variety
90% of the game was undead humanoids, and made for very repetitive gameplay.

Now for common complaints that aren't that big of a deal:
I-frames being tied to a stat wasn't as dumb as people make it out to be, they wanted players to get stronger as they leveled, tying i-frames to ADP did that. If you wanted your DaS level of rolls, you need 96 agility.

That said, base ADP is fine for all PvE aspects of the game

Shockwaves/Broken Hitboxes
There is only one instance of one hitbox not making sense, and that is the Smelter Demon's sword slam. However this move had a very obvious tell, and was very easy to avoid after being hit the first one or two times.
>>
I agree.
>>
Shockwaves/Broken Hitboxes (cont'd)

How the game checked for being hit was simple:
If your characters hitbox (while not during iframes) was inside an enemy's attack hurtbox You got hit.
That simple. The game doesn't care if you're close or not. If you rolled away, but your iframes ran out when a grab connected. You're grabbed.

It makes for wacky wonky animations, but that's how it worked. Players that knew this could avoid this situations. While players that didn't, well, continued to eat shit the entire playthrough. I feel like if the game explained this better, there wouldn't be so many complaints regarding hitboxes.

Magic being broken
Magic has always been broken in the Dark Souls series. Being oneshotted in PvP is not something that is exclusive to DaS II

PvP
PvP is a broken mess in all Souls titles, singling out DaS II is silly. DaS1 had shitty lagstabs, DaS2 had terrible lag and desyncs. DeS had people with 99 stacks of grass.
Gank squads happened in all games
No infinite orbs was the only issue in regards to DaS2 pvp
>>
In short: Just "git gud"
You guys always do this to others when people criticize DaS 1. Yet when people do the same to you in regards to DaS 2, it's suddenly not okay.

DaS 1 is a better tittle, however DaS 2 is not as shit as /v/ makes it out to be
>>
>>318756080
literally git gud
>>
>>318757339
Not to mention the abundance of actual shitty levels. Never mind cohesion, Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak were just awful levels. It had some pretty good levels, but it was bogged down by the rest.

DS1 gets away with this because most of the shit levels are post O&S.
>>
>>318757906
>the second half of DaS is complete shit
>this is okay because... I dunno but DaS2 suxxx lol BEETEEM
>>
>>318758019
Second half? M8 it was like 4 areas, and only Demon Ruins & Lost Izalith were the truly awful ones. Dukes and Crystal Cave were meh, but not terrible.
>>
>>318758127
Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak is 1 area
>>
>>318757906
Level design of all of DaS II was bad and hardly if ever made sense.

DaSI had Izalith and Old Londo Ruins
DaSII had literally everything

>>318758019
Fuck off falseflaging faggot.
>>
>>318756080
I got this game for 20 on black friday, how hard is it to get 100%?
>>
Jesus christ the game is fine. The update was a bit more of the same, but I enjoyed a few of the little surprises I ended up finding. Originally we picked it up for my wife's son on PS4 but I ended up playing the shit out of it.
>>
>>318757339
>>318757660
>>318757731
I don't understand DS2 fanboys, DS1 is obviously the superior game, you people even admit that. So why defend a piece of shit that was nothing more than a cheap cash grab?

I don't know why but when I play the game I feel like everything is like a fanfiction based on what a 13 year old think its "cool". The "emerald herald"? Seriously? Was that character made by a fat adolescent goth girl? Everything feels plastic, everything feels fake ha.

>le hype is unending
>are u redy to le die again and again?

Fucknig shills man.
>>
>>318758173
I disagree, but it was just an example.
>>
>>318758207
>Forest of Fallen Giants
>Lost Bastille
>Dragon Aerie
>Iron Keep
>Drangleic Castle
>bad
>>
>>318756080
>He actually gives a shit about the PVE in DaS2

PVP was the only reason I ever came back to that

When I wanted to make a new build I speed hacked the fuck through it with inf everything
>>
>>318758242
>my wife's son

KEKEST
>>
File: you.jpg (113 KB, 321x360) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
113 KB, 321x360
>>318758260
Because it triggers autists like you

And because DaS isn't as good as you think it is.
>>
>>318758260
Because there is a difference in acknowledging it's flaws than to pretend everything about is bad and how it's the worst game ever to be created.

People exaggerate it's flaws. It's the lesser title, but it's nowhere NEAR the shit you fucks claim it to be.

Also out of all the shit lore in soul series you complain about the herald? At least complain about shitty drangelic is lordran shit or the soul vessel in magula mansion garbage
>>
>>318757660
>if the game explains shitty hitboxes that excuses them

This logic.
>>
>>318758260
I found the world of DaS2 to be more charming, save one or two zones, but the whole game wanted me to explore every nook and cranny as well as everything was beautiful to look at. I agree that the game isn't without its flaws and DS1 gameplay-wise is a tad better but I'm a guy about aesthetics and DaS2 really works well for me on that note.
>>
>>318757339
Everything bad about this game is all subjective things that can't be quantified ie the atmosphere or the npcs or the lore. Mechanically, it is better than Dark Souls, and therefore, objectively better.
>>
>>318758230

It's pretty easy for the most part, but if you don't want to take part in the multiplayer some trophies become a total bitch to achieve. Namely the All Sorcery and All Miracle achievement.

>>318758207

>DaSI had Izalith and Old Londo Ruins
And Darkroot Garden, TotG, Duke's Archives, The Depths, Ash Lake, Valley of the Drakes, and Great Hollow. I'm not counting additional areas like Crystal Cave or Darkroot Basin because they're too insignificant and they're nothing more than extensions of previous areas anyways.
>>
>>318756080
That was a very obnoxious way to get your point across.
>>
>>318758571
In fighting games if your hitbox is inside a hurtbox you get hit.

It's not rocket science

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qlAaEQo0L0.
>>
>>318758662

I hope you never expected anything else from Soulsfags.
>>
>>318758710
And I repeat
>explaining shitty hitboxes excuses them from being shitty
>>
Soulsfags are exactly like meleefags
>>
File: 1430201942271.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1430201942271.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
>>318756080
The gutter is total shit. I wasted so much time running around trying to light all of those dumb ass torches. The veil that makes you immune to curses (and makes pursuers so much less annoying) is the only reason it's worth doing.
>>
>>318758301
>Forest of Fallen Giants
A level to show how awful the graphics are, its just a long corridor
>Lost Bastille
I'll give you this one, but it shows how awful the texturing is
>Dragon Aerie
Just a "cinematic" level, nothing to do, just walking straight
>Iron Keep
Doesn't make any sense from a physical and lore perspective, it has too much bosses and the enemy placement is a borefest
>Drangleic Castle
You mean the square castle right? "Just put a bunch of enemies on every room to hide how tiny and linear the level is senpai"
>>
>>318758794
Except it's not shitty, they work exactly how they're suppose to.
>>
>>318758537
Because the herald is the perfect example of this cheap fuckers trying to emulate all the good things about previous souls games and fucking everything up in the process.
>>
>>318758845
>FoFG
>corridor
maybe if you don't explore ever
>Dragon Aerie
You're confusing it for Dragon Shrine, which is an extension of the area. Hard to walk straight when the entire area is ziplines
>Iron Keep
>complains about it not making sense
>in a series where the whole world is supported by fucking trees
>>
>>318758982
>story is about a cycle that repeats
>being upset that story is similar
>being upset that a sequel is similar to the first game

w0t
hey bud, das 3 continues off the das story, so you might want to avoid that one m8
>>
So everybody with the same opinion: level design is shit. Most people still play ds2 just for multiplayer.
Just imagine if they skipped shitty aldia keep/shaded woods to make a real epic dragon shrine + dragon aerie. So much potential...
>>
>>318759202
>Most people still play ds2 just for multiplayer.
thats the saddest thing ive read today
>>
>>318759202
>Most people still play ds2 just for multiplayer

The two or three idiots who still play it do it because they are too casual for ds1
>>
>>318759416
>ds1 pvp
>good
>souls pvp
>good
heh
>>
>>318759416
>le epic chain-backstab-fishing fest in gankforest
DaS2fags are truly missing out
>>
>>318758260
How does DaS being better than DaS 2 prevent the latter from being a great game?
There are many sequels out there that aren't as great as their predecessors, but that doesn't mean these sequels aren't great in their own right.
DMC4 isn't as good as DMC3, Civ V isn't as good as Civ IV, Starcraft 2 isn't as good as Starcraft, Age of Wonders 3 isn't as good as Shadow Magic or 2, but guess what? All these games are still fucking great.
>>
>>318758845
DS1
catacombs endless corridor
tomb of giants endless corridor
anor londo
muh cinematic and endless corridor
anor londo ruins
just a straight walk to the leaver and after that down to the boss
dlc
small area + long corridor
so they same pretty much like in DS 2 but hey the game much better then DS 1 kek

>>318759416
roughly 2k for ds 1
roughly 2k6 for ds 2
whoops another retard spotted

>>318758260
people with a simple mind like you donĀ“t understand that you can like more than one thing
>>
>>318759484
>>318759496
>>318759635
>>318759960
hahah how fucking mad are you that no one likes your shitty game
>>
>>318760063
How mad are you that people actually like a game you dislike?
>>
>>318756080
>More enemies
>Just a few places have more enemies, mostly the first ones
I got it on PS4 and it's the same crap, man.
>>
This thread is the perfect example why noone likes Soulsfags.
They're always too occupied fighting themselves over opinions

Literally worst than Undertalefags.
>>
>>318758928
Do they are supposed to work unintuitively and look retarded? Cool, thanks for clearing that up.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.