[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
subtle things you would do as a developer to fuck with your audience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 85
File: because.jpg (28 KB, 300x500) Image search: [Google]
because.jpg
28 KB, 300x500
>Every time you enter the options menu, the subtitles option is in a different place
>make npcs laugh at you if you choose a low difficulty mode
>make a reward of a super long, hard dungeon a generic item that you could buy from a merchant for next to nothing
>add an item that has a "special use" - in reality it does nothing
>make the best gear in the game look super unimpressive and lame
>give the best weapon in the game fart sound effects
>put a tense, high stakes choice in the game, then have one outcome for both choices
>>
File: 1394811053368.png (448 KB, 496x708) Image search: [Google]
1394811053368.png
448 KB, 496x708
>>269488890
you seem upset
>>
Randomly, when you pull out your next gun, your character holds it in his left hand.
>>
>make a reward of a super long, hard dungeon a generic item that you could buy from a merchant for next to nothing
>give the best weapon in the game fart sound effects
>put a tense, high stakes choice in the game, then have one outcome for both choices

That's not even fucking with people. That's just boring.
>>
>>269488890
have you ever made a game?
>>
File: 1351675336436.png (169 KB, 468x517) Image search: [Google]
1351675336436.png
169 KB, 468x517
if you choose Easy difficulty at the beginning, the final boss at the end won't appear, and you'll be forced to wander around the overworld doing jack shit, or restart your file on Normal or Hard

also, have a deep and complex korean mmo-tier character creation maker, just to have your character die in the first few missions
>>
File: Jesus I'm SPQR.jpg (63 KB, 536x401) Image search: [Google]
Jesus I'm SPQR.jpg
63 KB, 536x401
if the game is on steam or anything else with a chat program you will get fake messages from people on your friend list

if you pirated the game, in the end credits it will say "no thanks to you" instead of "special thanks: you"
>>
>>269488140

fuck you dark souls
>>
File: cloneconceptart.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cloneconceptart.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
Put this into the game. It will likely set off autism both on people who like it, and hate it.
>>
>>269489698
>if you pirated the game, in the end credits it will say "no thanks to you" instead of "special thanks: you"
ha
>>
>make npcs laugh at you if you choose a low difficulty mode

I hope this also means that they laugh at you and still have the same difficulty if not a harder difficulty, sort of a way of saying 'fuck you for thinking you can take the easy way out'
>>
>choosing easy or medium will still set the game to hard
>>
>Include luck stat
>Luck has zero statistical effect on anything
>Just a stat that wastes your points and gimps your character
>NPCs make references to you looking puny and weak
>If you max luck you get a chance to save your waifu from dying due to PLOT
>>
>>269491104
she dies in a cutscene post-credits
>>
>make a simple platformer
>include NPCs and stuff for optional lore
>include inaccessible stuff in the code that adds shit tons of deep lore
>deny any of its credibility and say none of it's canon

>make sequel
>include even more inaccessible lore data
>it all directly contradicts the stuff in the first game's data
>deny credibility for this too
>>
>>269488140
>Have achievement for collecting every item in the game
>Only unlocks in New Game+
>Fairly limited inventory space
>Starting weapon you're only given in your first playthrough that's obsolete within 10 minutes and has a boring skin, is unique
>>
Include a huge amount of choices in the game. None of them do anything.
Have a bunch of alternate endings that can only be accessed by luck. Have them be extremely unlikely. Like one in five thousand.
>>
>>269489584
>choosing Easy mode shows a message making fun of you and returns you to the main menu
>>
>>269491536
This can only be avoided by showing up to the final battle with no potions or other consumable items stockpiled in your inventory
>>
Make the ultimate weapon almost impossible to get if you open three random chests
>>
>>269488140
Enemies become the slightest franction harder every time you the player saves
>>
>>269488140
>Secret Achievements/Trophies that are just unattainable. You'll never know what the secret is nor get the achievement.
>>
>2d fighting game
>every combo's inputs are switched every time it's used
>>
ITT, nobody on /v/ knows what subtle means
>>
>>269491817
>Have a bunch of alternate endings that can only be accessed by luck. Have them be extremely unlikely. Like one in five thousand.

I would actually love something like this. Make choices matter, but still include a slight chance that you'll get fucked over anyway.
>>
>>269492148
How about
>Trophy for not viewing trophies list until after you've beaten the game
>>
>>269488140
The original Wind Waker did this. Part of the reason why that game sucks.
>>
>Volume slider has a decimal point
>It skips numbers on purpose
>>
>advertise your game as a roleplaying game, but actually make it godawful weeb shit
>>
>>269492681
>Advertise game as weeb pandering
>Game is actually CoD: Weeaboo Moeblob edition
>Pandering scenes in trailer happen during single-player campaign end credits
>>
>Tripping
>>
>>269492552
I approve.

>Cutscene says "press O to skip"
>Any other button you press skips the cutscene
>autosaves after the cutscene making all skipped cutscenes unwatchable
>>
>>269492628
>uses whole numbers
>doesn't stop on even numbers or anything ending 0 or 5
>>
File: fuckyou.png (142 KB, 343x343) Image search: [Google]
fuckyou.png
142 KB, 343x343
>>269492013
>>
>>269492628
>slider is a logarithmic scale, completely unnumbered
>>
>Best ending only occurs when you fight the final boss below a certain level and delete all save files before the fight .
>>
>controls occasionally invert
>>
Make the loading bar animation faster than the actual loading process.
>Make the player's walk speed slower than the speed of NPCs and the opposite when running.
>Usage of wrong terminology in dialogues.
>Make any button cancel cutscenes.
>Using menus doesn't pause the game.
>>
Fatigue
>>
>have an achievement for watching the entire ending credits without moving the mouse or pushing any buttons
>master volume makes your character yell instead of talking
>there is also a minion volume, which makes your stupid dog bark during dialogues
>>
>>269493512
Actually, that's kinda cool.
>>
File: DELETE_THIS.png (15 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DELETE_THIS.png
15 KB, 640x480
Don't do this. Just stop fucking doing this.
>>
>Make the loading bar animation faster than the actual loading process.
>Make the player's walk speed slower than the speed of NPCs and the opposite when running.
>Usage of wrong terminology in dialogues.
>Make any button cancel cutscenes.
>Using menus doesn't pause the game.
>>
File: 2037[1].png (7 KB, 80x90) Image search: [Google]
2037[1].png
7 KB, 80x90
>>
File: 1408250247652.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1408250247652.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
>make an rpg
>hide items in scenery that you need to press A to find
>items are extremely useful
>only in the beginning area, nothing beyond that
>>
>>269488140
I see a lot of these threads involving piracy fighting, so here's my idea for a FPS:
>Randomly drop your gun, have to fumble around on the ground for it
>Random chance of magazine not seating and falling out with a distinctive thud as it hits the floor
>Grenade randomly replaced with cinder block, with appropriate shorter throw range
>Magazines will refuse to seat during final boss fight, will have to use a single shot bolt action .22 to fight final boss
>>
RPG with a ton of side quests

>no quest log
>>
File: 1375811946020.gif (2 MB, 557x377) Image search: [Google]
1375811946020.gif
2 MB, 557x377
>horror game
>at the beginning, ask the player what their "happy place" is, like a meadow or an ocean
>pausing the game brings up the "happy place" that the player selected
>if the player tries to go into their "happy place" when there's a really tense atmosphere, it'll look off or slightly different
>pausing during a scary moment will show a twisted mockery of the happy place
>>
In an action platformer, every 100th press of the jump button does nothing.
>>
>>269489584
>also, have a deep and complex korean mmo-tier character creation maker, just to have your character die in the first few missions

That's just fucking evil dude. What's wrong with you.
>>
>>269488140
>subtle things you would do as a developer to fuck with your audience

Contact the NSA and give the free rein.
>>
>>269494475
I guess it'd be immersive if you had to write down things yourself
>>
File: d.png (119 KB, 213x465) Image search: [Google]
d.png
119 KB, 213x465
>>269494517
This is evil, but I love it.
>>
File: available.jpg (57 KB, 960x715) Image search: [Google]
available.jpg
57 KB, 960x715
>>269494529
Too easy to notice, it could be a random interval between 50-100, and wouldn't happen if the character just jumps around to test it. Also, the player's hit-box randomly increases in size vertically for one second occasionally.
>>

so you are bethesda?
>>
>>269488140
>>put a tense, high stakes choice in the game, then have one outcome for both choices

didn't know bioware employees posted here
>>
>>269488140

Deus Ex said hi.
>>
>>269488140
>Have the main character go on a bunch of quests to do certain things to create something to save the world
>Turns out at around the half way point of the game the person giving the quests is actually evil and you helped him create something to destroy the world
>During the confrontation the main character dies and you take control of the main villain
>Turns out the villain's plan is only roughly to destroy the world, it's to actually save the world in some backwards way and destroy an ancient evil god
>Turns out the ancient evil god isn't an ancient evil god at all, it's someone pretending to be an ancient evil god for a big huge prank
>Turns out the actual ancient evil god was the first main character you played as
>But it's too late, the machine has already turned on!
>But it doesn't work...it turns out that there were extra pieces you needed to collect
>They were found in optional side quests that you could only find by reading about in the instruction manual
>The instruction manual is just pictures of my face increasing in zoom per page
>>
File: 1404274211470.png (209 KB, 369x400) Image search: [Google]
1404274211470.png
209 KB, 369x400
>>269494517
This is actually a stellar fucking idea.

10/10
>>
I'd develop a game that didn't have any sort of climbing or mantling, except for ladders and stairs. Think Dark Souls, where any jumping is either downward or across short gaps, but you can't actually climb anything except ladders.

Then as an anti-piracy measure, I'd put a knee-high wall in the second level that blocks all progress. I'd put a knee-high wall in every level afterward, too, in case they glitch past it.
>>
>>269494241
people will be running into walls and spamming A the whole game. makes me wonder how mnay of the hidden items they found in twich plays pokemon by mistake
>>
>>269494517
Fund this
>>
>Endboss will steal your healing potions if you stockpiled them
>>
Modes are:
Easy
Normal
Hard.
Make easy mode actually Hardcore mode
>>
>yes/no options in the menus
>it's unclear which one is highlighted
>holding a direction will cycle through yes and no
>>
>>269495592
Make the boss specifically target your best and most expensive healing items first, like the elixirs and megalixirs.
>>
>>269495520
>people will be running into walls and spamming A the whole game
I already do.
>>

Dark Souls' Pendant says hi

Wooden Sword becoming the Unlabored Flawlessness from Ninja Gaiden Black
>>
No matter what difficulty you choose, you get the "normal" difficulty. The game does not tell you this.

People would probably figure it out soon enough, but it'd be hilarious to see people on forums calling each other shitters for playing on easier difficulty modes or talking about how much harder/easier the game is on different difficulties.
>>
>>269495632
>have a regular options menu
>At the end, just one blank option that is simply "yes/no"
>Have it not do anything
>Make people argue and go crazy over a silly little button for a short while before people look through the code to find it's use
>>
>>269489584
>have a deep and complex korean mmo-tier character creation maker, just to have your character die in the first few missions

That would be amazing. Your created character gets killed off post-tutorial and the actual games protagonist comes in to play
>>
>>269494517
>Spooky monster chasing you
>pause
>it still moves
>>
>>269488140
>>put a tense, high stakes choice in the game, then have one outcome for both choices

lel

i feel like this has been done at least 50 times
>>
>>269495592
>>269495662
>sell everything you own except your weapons before doing the endboss
>his power is based on how much money you have
>>
>the luck stat is the best stat of all to increase
>>
>rpg
>take start time
>every 6 hours you're either playing or not playing your character becomes one year older.
>>
File: 200px-Fenrir_KHII.png (21 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
200px-Fenrir_KHII.png
21 KB, 200x200
Add a superboss that drops the best weapon in the game, despite it not being needed because you already beat the superboss.
>>
>>269495979
people with a job/who plays more than one game at a time here

fuck you
>>
>>269496148
>Fenrir
>The best weapon
You never got the Ultima Weapon did you
>>
>>269496148
final mix fixes that.
>>
>>269495942

But everyone actually wants that.
>>
Every time you play for more than 3 hours, a yellow smear on your character's pants becomes more and more opaque.
>>
>>269496148
>keyblade looks like a modern key

fucking retarded
>>
>>269496225
I never used offensive magic so the ultima was better for me.

Besides I love the negative combo ability. Don't know why it's considered a con. It lets you finish combos super quick.
>>
>Game ending is based on the amount of times you save the game
>>
File: 1412059517323.jpg (472 KB, 1022x874) Image search: [Google]
1412059517323.jpg
472 KB, 1022x874
>>269488140
>Create an rpg that actually shows your equipment on your character.
>Design the game to strategically place armor/weapon around the same power level to never match aesthetically.
>Enter a dungeon, find green gauntlets in a chest and a pink helmet later on, the boss gives you a blue sword in a yellow sheath.
>Go into town, the merchant is only selling purple pants and black helmet.
>>
File: Ahahahaha.jpg (13 KB, 261x173) Image search: [Google]
Ahahahaha.jpg
13 KB, 261x173
>If you make a female character and try to upskirt you'll just find a large stop sign under their dress.
>Give you an achievement for dying 10 or more times on any given boss
>Add in a generic, bad weapon late game, like a tree branch or something. When it crits it does the most damage out of any weapon in the game.
>If you pirate the game your weapon will always be a cutlass, which does a whopping 1 damage, 2 if it crits, and you get an eyepatch
>NPCs will yell ARRRG when you walk by if you pirate the game.
>During the credits you get a top-down view of your character, and you can attack the credits. If you destroy all the credits you get a special "accessory" which boosts all your stats by x5.
>After saving x amount of times, whenever you save after that a party member will call you a cautious bastard.
>Have your idle animations do something random or cool, like, you'll pull out a cigarette and you'll lose a very miniscule fraction of health, or a bottle of alcohol and your controls invert for a few seconds.
>Have a boss halfway during the game, after you beat it credits play. During the credits about halfway through the credits practically explode and reveal the real villain.
>Have 4 difficulties, Weak, Easy, Medium, Hard. If you pick Weak, you start off with 1 million gold, one of the best weapons in the game, amazing armor, and a godly companion, but you gain almost no EXP. Once you reach the first boss you lose all this equipment and have to face it at like, level 3.
>>
File: 1413762469789.jpg (159 KB, 933x553) Image search: [Google]
1413762469789.jpg
159 KB, 933x553
>RPG
>make the best healing items available in your hometown where the game starts
>they're all too expensive for you to buy
>the town gets destroyed in the first hour
>>
>>269495808
there's a comment with the code to the button that explains exactly this, that it is here just to rile people up, and to ask whoever found the comment not to say anything about it, or lie and says it does do someething else.
>>
>rpg
>female character can only carry 50% of what males can carry

hehe
>>
>>269492429
How about a giant monster who kills you at the end of the game, or do you think that is too subtle?
>>
>>269496581

>the game is about gathering the 3 X of Y.
>they sell for an obscene amount of gold in the very first town
>nobody actually knows what they are, only you
>you can't buy 'em because it's impossible to get that much money
>town is razed later
>>
>>269496697
>female character
>>
>>269496445
Fuck. I'm a compulsive game saver. I don't even abuse it, but I need to save after every two steps I take. If there's an absolutely worse ending that only gets rewarded to people with a ridiculous number of saves, then I'd get it.
>>
>>269496432
because you're missing out on a ton of damage you could get from the combo boost ability
>>
>make a lake with a whale boss battle later on
>if you shoot into the lake the whale surfaces and eats you
>>
File: PhotoFunia-d5c06b8.jpg (94 KB, 700x493) Image search: [Google]
PhotoFunia-d5c06b8.jpg
94 KB, 700x493
>spread out some cool looking guns with mega stats
>you wont find ammunition for them for the entire game

or

>access webcam if possible
>when you look at mirrors you see the webcam video

What do you think?
>>
>>269496432
"I love doing less damage!"
>>
In order to save your waifu you have to kill all of your friends.
>>
File: 1409142622362.jpg (24 KB, 360x335) Image search: [Google]
1409142622362.jpg
24 KB, 360x335
>there's a setting in the options menu next to subtitles and fullscreen called "warp drive"
>it does absolutely nothing
>>
You can save in realtime anytime you want.

Each time you do, your companion gets more and more talkative.
>>
>>269496959
second one would be cool
>>
>place subtle clues throughout the game that the main character is a rape victim
>clues in dialogue, choice of words, mannerisms, reactions to people and situations
>when the game comes out and people pick up on it, vehemently deny it in interviews and say that people are looking for controversy where there is none
hhhehehehe
>>
If the game detects that it's been pirated, it will play completely normally for the first ten or so hours (enough time to give the player a reasonable idea of whether they want to buy the game or not.) After that, instead of the normal plot twist of the official version, the pirated game shifts into a short, incredibly silly parody of the main game's story. It ends with a request to support the official release.
The sequence is also acessable during NG+ or through a cheat code.
>>
I just do what Ubisoft is doing, I add in an 8 hour-long unskippable credits sequence for all the 8976.68 developers who worked in the game.
>>
>>269497021
Bros before hos, nigga.
>>
>>269497021
Just like in real life...
>>
>>269496846
I feel ya, I don't even want to imagine how much I inflate the playtime with that behavior.
>>
File: 1402931243246.jpg (23 KB, 638x610) Image search: [Google]
1402931243246.jpg
23 KB, 638x610
>>269497180
>one of the developers is missing a third of his body
>>
>fast paced fps
>every time you reload you lose the bullets that were still loaded
>>
>>269497067
>Can save at any time, but it consumes a save consumable.
>Have them in very limited supply, remind the player how limited the supply is and how they should be careful not to use them so eagerly.
>2/3rds through the game have the main character get captured and lose all of his items, including all but 1 of his save item.
>You get all of your equipment back, but none of your items, including the save consumable.

Fuck it lets go the extra mile and make all items scarce.
>>
>>269497535

>if you run too fast into a wall you lose HP, but the screen doesnt flash red to show you
>>
>>269493675
>To pause the game, you have to open the main menu, access several sub-menus and select the "pause" option. The "un-pause" option is in a different sub-menu.
>>
>>269497583

sub·tle
adj. sub·tler, sub·tlest
a. So slight as to be difficult to detect or describe; elusive: a subtle smile.
b. Difficult to understand; abstruse: an argument whose subtle point was lost on her opponent.
2. Able to make fine distinctions: a subtle mind.
a. Characterized by skill or ingenuity; clever.
b. Crafty or sly; devious.
c. Operating in a hidden, usually injurious way; insidious: a subtle poison.
>>
>>269497162
i think these "if pirated" ideas are cool, but i never really understand how they would work. wouldn't the company fake like they were skidrow or something and release it under their name, with the real skidrow realizing how fake it is and making a real pirated version of the full game?
>>
>>269496925
What is RE4?
>>
>>269497765
Well, old consoles at least usually had some kind of chip that could verify if a cartridge was legit, and if not it could make different shit happen. Like bootleg copies of Earthbound had 3x the enemy spawn rate and crashed the game and deleted all saves if you somehow made it to the final boss like that.
>>
>>269497712
Almost responded that what I wrote is anything but subtle. That would've been silly.
Didn't read subject of thread, just assumed.

I take nothing back though since up-until the reveal it's pretty subtle.
>>
>>269497359
finna blow up like land mines
>>
>>269488140
Is that Maddox?

looks like him
>>
>slow doom style retro shooter locked at 12 fps and a tiny resolution
>you have a pistol with ten bullets
>you are in an abandoned house or unpleasant environment
>finally the monster appears
>the monster's sprites are HD and run at a spastic 60 fps
>>
File: 1393273108631.gif (535 KB, 240x176) Image search: [Google]
1393273108631.gif
535 KB, 240x176
>>269496569
>>If you make a female character and try to upskirt you'll just find a large stop sign under their dress.
>>
File: 1402068740112.gif (2 MB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
1402068740112.gif
2 MB, 400x200
>>269488140
An item that only is usable on the final boss and is attained early game It's merely perceived as trash and is worth a few pieces, and characters often mention a "relic that the final boss himself fears". They send you off to a ton of dungeons toi find it, but nothing ever comes up because the final boss supposedly "destroyed" it, but in the end, it was that piece of trash you most likely sold off for free money. It's not necessary, but makes the final hella easier.
>>
>survival horror
>enemies can't be seen directly
>use mirrors and moving backwards to move around
>you carry one but it's really small
>there are some on the walls but can be broken
>if you pick a big piece of the broken mirrors you randomly get cut and your blood attracts the monsters
>>
This is proof that
>/v/
>subtle
>>
>>269495306
subtle
>>
>>269496569
Best list yet.
>>
File: 0.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>pause during boss fight
>after 3 seconds boss cuts/punches through your pause screen
>can't pause anymore
>get rekt
>instead of game over screen you get boss teabagging you and laughing at you for the next two minutes
>disable powering off/reseting console until two minutes have passed
>>
>>269497765
Games can check that the basic anti-piracy measures have been disabled. Usually games that detect that lock up early, so the crackers know their jobs aren't done and they have more code to disable/work around. But often games run fine after disabling the basic protection, and crackers only check the game for a few hours in an effort to be the first to release
>>
Have a single trophy/achievement.
Before you unlock it, its requirements are hidden.
After you unlock it, its description is equally criptic. Something like "You know what you did"

This trophy/achievement has a 1/1000 chance of unlocking when you do otherwise boring, random stuff in the game, like opening doors, or firing a new weapon, or talking to a random NPC.
When you boot up the game for the first time, there is a 1 in 10 chance that the trophy/achievement will NEVER unlock for you.
>>
>>269496709
literally lol'd at how fucking stupid this post was
>>
Easy, throw in a bunch of low-effort 'deepest lore' junk like inaccessible areas, objects and messages that look important/significant but don't have any purpose, cryptic game files etc. Of course none of it would mean a thing but people like conjecture.
>>
>>269497982
oh yeah, i remember that.
>>269498675
this also makes sense, neat.
>>
>>269498714
I like this. I like this a lot.
>>
did anybody ever find out what that fucking gem was in diablo II chat box/ game browser?
>>
>>269496432
>>269496880
>>269497012
The novelty purpose behind this keyblade's ability is when equipping the other "Negative Combo" abilities it's the only way to instantly use combo finishers.
>>
>>269493512
Please tell me a game has done this before.
>>
Put in an extremely useful item that acts as a GPS/bug for your enemy. As long as you have it, he/they will always be one step before ahead, and unless you get rid of it, you are slowly heading for a bad end. However nothing in the game warns you about this, or even implies the true function of the item.
>>
>>269488140

Ah yes, the Skyrim approach.
>>
>>269498714
> there is a 1 in 10 chance that the trophy/achievement will NEVER unlock for you.
No Anon
>>
>>269495839
Fuck I hate games where pausing does nothing. Ultimate terror, even when it's not a scary game. It's the sudden realization that I'm in it for the long haul.
>>
>>269496569
>Have the main boss introduced fairly early on
>About halfway through, after you defeat a random boss, you get the credits, final cutscene and all that fancy stuff, makes no mention of actual final boss. Game returns to main menu.
>You have to wait until next day irl to continue playing the final half of the game.
>Developer says "you can't beat this game in one day" when asked how long it is.
>>
>>269494081
>There are actually multiple loading bars
>Any time you go to load something, there will be a (Completely random) 2-11 loading bars that will fill first
>>
>>269498387
We can't all be comedians like you Dane Cook.
>>
>>269494517
Yeaaaah... i'm stealing this, thanks man.
>>
File: goof.jpg (58 KB, 640x493) Image search: [Google]
goof.jpg
58 KB, 640x493
>>269488140
>make the in-game events have element of urgency at some point
>actually limit the player's time without explicitly telling them about it with on-screen timer or such
>>
>>269499815
>there are multiple loading bars
>there are actually no load times whatsoever
>if you want to skip it you need to mash circle at certain BPM ala MGS torture scenes
>>
>Game has an RPG-like stats system (ATK, DEF, LUK, etc)

>Said stats do absolutely nothing
>>
File: baseball.jpg (28 KB, 529x487) Image search: [Google]
baseball.jpg
28 KB, 529x487
>>269492628
That's over the line.
>>
>>269499284
transmission recieved
>>
>>269499907
Minish Cap had this at last boss.
>>
>>269488890
Sakushit status:
[x] REKT
>>

But I like to wear unimpressive looking armor. Overly flashy armor bugs me.
>>
File: 1393645211665.gif (266 KB, 262x261) Image search: [Google]
1393645211665.gif
266 KB, 262x261
>have an upgrade path for weapons
>weakest weapon in the game ends up being the 2nd strongest through upgrades
>only one of that weapon is given to you
>>
>have a construction site in the game
>it's finished in the first DLC
>gets destroyed in the next one.
>it now spawns many low level mobs with no drops other than junk.
>>
>>269498652
>force the game to autosave during this
>if the game doesnt have an autosave with the teabagging timer at 2mins then the timer resets and you have to keep watching
>taking the power out corrupts the save
>achievement for starting the teabagging
>achievement for watching the whole thing
>boss now has homoerotic dialogue thats directed towards the player
>>
Kinect takes pictures/video of you at random times. You occasionally get texted some on your in-game cell phone. Towards the end, you find a room filled with the pictures with mysterious white stains all over them. This is never explained.
>>
>>269492013
This kind of shit is why I started to read guides before playing RPGs.
>>
>>269492013
Four actually if you were trying to mock Final Fantasy XII.
>>
>>269499728
I like you, Anon. When I said that, I was referencing Kid Icarus chapter, I believe 9 or 10.
>>
When you fire the killing a shot at a boss enemy, it does a slow motion shot of the bullet rushing up to them. The bullet is spinning in a different direction each time for no reason other than to annoy people.
>>
>NPCs rotate through their dialogue sets randomly
>if you want to exhaust their dialogue you have to keep talking to them until you think they've said everything they're going to say.

Or

>You only have to talk to NPCs a few times to exhaust all their dialogue
>Some secret items can only be obtained by continuing to talk to the same NPC a few times after it looks like they've already said everything.
>>
>subtitles that doesn't match the dialog
>subtitles that spoils certain events
>subtitles that stops working out of nowhere
>subtitles for actions, like grunting and crying
>>
File: Beyond_Two_Souls_final_cover.jpg (20 KB, 297x334) Image search: [Google]
Beyond_Two_Souls_final_cover.jpg
20 KB, 297x334
>>
Starting the game gives you 9 gamerscore. In order to get the last 1, you need to get S+ ratings on every mission on Extreme difficulty in one run with one life in under 12 hours on your first try during an equinox.
>>
>>269488140
#2, 4 and 5 have been done before. The rest is just asinine.
>>
>>269501941
>Horror game with optional subtitles
>If the subtitles are on, they gradually differ from the speech throughout the game
>Eventually they start to help the player
>'DON'T FUCKING TRUST HIM RUN RUN RUN RUN', 'LOOK BEHIND YOU' etc
>>
>make the subtitles about 5 words too slow
>make the screen slanted by about 4 degrees
>have it so the volume is always a little bit too quiet
>60 FOV
>have a view bob that you can't turn off
Just the little things for somebody to have a horrible experience.
>>
>>269501941
Subtitles for actions can be quite helpful.
Like in L4D you know exactly what special infected is spawned and when due to subtitles which you might not hear the sound effects for.
>>
>>269502027
>lego pirates of the carribean
>first mission gives you 12 gamerscore
>to get the one that equals it out you need to collect 888,888,888. (or was it billion) studs
>>
>>269502354
4 degrees is too obvious
I'd say just 1 or 2
>>
>>269488140
>I would fuck with my audience by making a shit game
Seems like all of the devs are already doin that
>>
>>269489698
>If the game is on steam you'll get disturbing fake messages from your friends.

>You'll get in game messages telling you not to trust said friends

>You'll get fake error messages that close out the game

>The game has an item sending mechanic
>You'll get fake presents from steam friends that harm or otherwise inconvenience you.
>>
File: 1407645693508.jpg (57 KB, 791x794) Image search: [Google]
1407645693508.jpg
57 KB, 791x794
If you die 100 times on one boss then on the 101st death he will shit on your chest and piss in your mouth. Maybe nobody will ever see it
>>
When the player has to select between "yes" or "no" for whatever reason, assign random colors to highlighted and non highlighted text, making impossible to know what are you selecting
>>
>>269503109
If that was a female boss, I'd purposely lose 100 times.
>>
>color puzzle specifically made to fuck with colorblind people
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 391x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 391x391
>>269502315
Oh my god yes please.
>>
There's a 1/100000 chance of the game having an incredibly creepy "bug" at some part. The screen freezes, the text box turns to gibberish, and the image suddenly turns to a creepy face covered in darkness with weird murmuring as the background music before the game crashes.
>>
How about creepy shit you'd do to fuck with players?

>game on startup has a 0.001% chance of going to an alternate Title Screen telling the player to turn off the console right now
>>
In a horror game

>Low-poly MML1-like graphics
>Most enemies end up looking like polygonal montrosities
>Very mediocre draw distance
>Some enemies don't have animations, they just float towards you at varying speeds
>Some don't have sound effects
>The save room has completely dissonant, out of place music a la http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_BwNajcGJk
>>
>>269502315
Didn't PT do this?
>>
Your character wears a hat and this hat changes its color ever so slighty.
>>
this is not actually subtle but

I would like a horror game where if you are in a section where you're being chased, and you save the game or quit out or whatever

reloading the game puts the thing that's chasing you right in front of you.

and instead of killing you, when you run, it just laughs and gives you a reasonable amount of distance before pursuing again.

the chance for this would be small so as to be a genuine surprise, and if you read about it online, you might think it was a hoax until it actually did happen and freaked you the fuck out.
>>
>>269502315
'JUMP MOTHERFUCKER'
>>
>>269488140
>item based currency like PoE
>ring that gives 10000% more gold from kills
>>
> party members have a very small chance if having a heart attack or spontaneously combusting during battle
>>
>>269503634
Pretend artifacts.
>>
>>269503634
>Game normally has encounter music when an enemy is near, becomes familiar to the player
>.1% chance for this to suddenly play at a loud volume http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPC-h58No_8
>>
If you pirate the game, the Special Thanks: You screen is replaced with an ASCII drawing of someone giving you the middle finger. Then it opens up the steam page for buying the game in your browser.
>>
>character creation
>Male, Female, Other (with a drop down of various identifiers)
>if you choose "Other" the game never starts and this is permanent
>>
>PC horror game
>text files and images are placed in common directories
>text files talk about the spooky monster in the game
>the images are completely nonsensical except for 1
>>
File: Thank God for Stilt Man.jpg (333 KB, 1090x1013) Image search: [Google]
Thank God for Stilt Man.jpg
333 KB, 1090x1013
>>269493882
>master volume makes your character yell instead of talking
Oh god that'd be hilarious
>>
>>269503857
This would be brilliant. I love this so so much it makes me want to make a game just to put it in
>>
Every character of my video game would be randomly named.
So joe in one persons game is the shopkeeper and in another persons game Joe is the bad guy
>hey man how u kill joe?
>u can't kill npcs dumbass
>wtf man joe is the badguy
>no wolf is bad guy dumbass
>wtf wolf is the main character fucktard.

I would also have you 3 partners you would bond with until mid game they all disappear on a quest and are never mentioned again and don't appear in the credits.
>>
If you pirate the game, every character wears a pirate hat and has a moustache, and will be voiced by me in a terrible pirate voice, several important pieces of dialogue will be replaced by pirate jokes.

To err is human, to arr is pirate
>>
>Timer goes up indicating the arrival of an apocalypse event
>Player has no way to stop it, screen whites out when the timer hits 0:00
>Game resets
>Different opening and title screen
>>
>platformer
>There's a 1/8 chance of the jump button not responding
>>
File: 1413981943889.gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1413981943889.gif
1 MB, 300x225
When you switch weapons you have a .5 percent chance of misfiring your gun and shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
File: 1366948351801.jpg (56 KB, 500x691) Image search: [Google]
1366948351801.jpg
56 KB, 500x691
>get super amazing gear only if you don't skip any dialogue or cutscenes
>>
>guns can jam
>implement a hunger system but there is no food in the game
>getting headshots makes the camera/HUD go nuts like a 420nosc0pe video
>QTEs in cutscenes can range from pressing a button to quickscoping to a voice command to pausing the game and reassigning the controller to changing the game brightness
>character periodically has to take shits; 5-30min sequences where you sit on a toilet (or just squat down somewhere)
>>
>pirating the game changes all speech to ebonics
>unbearable hip hop plays nonstop
>>
>>269504521
Reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ5AgAPJyAg
>>
>>269494517
Hey I remember you. You said this before a long time ago, or you stole it from that guy in a similar thread.
>>
always wanted to make or play a game where the player unknowingly decides stuff.
like seemingly irrelevant questions that alter the game depending on your answers
>hey do you think I can get any fish in this lake?
>yes
>he gets fish and is able feed his family
>no
>him and his family eventually starve to death
>>
>Party regularly rests at inns, houses, etc.
>1% chance to enter a dream sequence when resting
>Only way to get the good or bad ending
>Party can only rest a certain number of times across the game due to the urgency of their quest
>Not getting the dream sequence gets you a surreal as fuck neutral ending and deletes your save
>>
>>269496569
>Have a boss halfway during the game, after you beat it credits play. During the credits about halfway through the credits practically explode and reveal the real villain.
Man, I remember when Borderlands wasn't absolute shit.
>>
>>269503109
except DSP.
>>
If you make a female character every NPC in the game hits on you
>>
>>269504239
>you can make an 'other', but it is the generic male model with female textures
>any kind of customization gets attached to your name, ex. <John - Pansexual|Bisexual|<custom>
>only you can see the gender part
>>
>>269488140

>pause game
>screen blurs everything in the background, stops time too
>stay in a given menu for too long
>things start to happen when you unpause

So, things would be like:
>Quests
The pointer of the active quest changes location to somewhere different
>Options
The main menu of the pause screen stays floating around, granting you a shield from projectiles or magic or something
>Equipment
You drop all your equipment. It is disorganized if the items you carry can be organized
>Save
A skeleton appears next to your slightly skinnier character, notices that you unpaused the game, saying "Oh, I'm sorry" and goes back inside in the playable character. No NPC question this except the lich kinghis player left the game pausedspoiler for the cinematic when you defeat him

You do not want to load a recently saved game in the main city, within said city. (like, 1minute after saving)

The entire city loads twice, and NPCs start to fight their dopplegangers.

This can work with the skeleton out of the character feature too.
>>
>Add a calculator into the game's menu... for no reason.

WHY VELOCITY, WHY?!
>>
>>269496697
Hello Dragon's Dogma
>>
File: 1409228848525.jpg (35 KB, 352x370) Image search: [Google]
1409228848525.jpg
35 KB, 352x370
>>269504140
I was like 7 you cunt, this music triggers me.
>>
>pirated versions of the game have this strange void in the starting area
>over time the hole gets larger
>none of the NPCs notice this or talk about it
>the final area of the game has you practically running away from the advancing void
>before the final boss all the characters fall into it
>the game then deletes a key file that it needs to run
>trying to start the game again will take you to the main menu and you should be able to load at least once
>fall into void again
>the game crashes whenever you try and load afterwards
>eventually the game degenerates more and more whenever you run it until you get to a point where it kills the machine
>>
>>269488140
>Ultima spell in Final Fantasy II
>>
>>269505682
You can't break a computer by deleting game files, Anon. You can't even break a computer when you play lose/lose.
>>
>Whenever you start up the game some enemies randomly become immune to certain kinds of weapons
>There's no indication of whether you're doing damage
>>
>have wall panel secrets like in early fps's
>they change location every game

>give a level one more or one less secret than the stat page suggests
>>
>>269506013
Something else then. Maybe skeletons.
>>
>>269504516
>guns can jam
It's a legit game mechanics. I liked it in Space Hulk for some reason.
>>
>>269504521
I'd play it
>>
File: 1393954035283.png (6 KB, 419x249) Image search: [Google]
1393954035283.png
6 KB, 419x249
>Female characters will have a random chance to start bleeding and attract enemies and it's random when it stops
>Everyone will say it's a bug but it's actually her period
>>
Make the game impossible to speedrun because every level there is at least one segment where you have to defend for a few minutes.
>>
>>269506789
People will find a way to glitch out of it.
>>
>>269506757
Periods aren't random
>>
>pirating the game replaces all textures in the game with a picture of Michelle Obama taking a shit
>>
>>269506921
patch it
>>
>>269506789
Worked well for MGR's encounters, huh?
>>
>>269506921
Fine then forced on rails turret sections.
>>
>>269506982
Nobody cares, dyke
>>
>horror game
>pause works most of the time
>one particularly spooky enemy that will rip through the pause screen after three seconds of leaving it open

>game with levelling weapons ala drakengard
>include a very unique looking weapon with shit stats
>takes an absolutely absurd amount of experience to reach max weapon level
>it's barely an improvement
You know they'll grind it out
>>
>>269506789
>what are sequence breaks
>what is going out-of-bounds
>what is not speedrunning
>>
>can only carry a set amount of weapons
>greatest weapon in the game is fully upgraded starter weapon
>>
My gf had an amazing idea a while back that we want to implement into a future project:

>Have the developers as NPCs in some town in the game
>Give the player the option of killing the devs
>after killing the devs, a random number pops up with a skull on it.
>The number will be assigned to each copy up to 6 digits
>If the game doesn't sell well, we'll show them an arbitrarily large number and say, "Well, since this many people killed the devs, they can't work on a sequel."
>Suddenly people will want a sequel
>>
>>269507134
Dumb nigger.
>>
When you try to exit the game cuts your penis weenus off!
>>
>>269507393
I don't get it.
>>
>>269488140

The love interests are unwinnable. No matter how many points you get, no matter what options you pick, no matter now many gifts you buy, you can't max out their affection gauge.

The E3 demo will show the deep and nuanced character interaction, as well as a girl's happy ending. But in each game, it is impossible to win them, and every girl will insist on remaining just friends.

When asked about it on Twitter, I'll post screenshots of the best ending and act confused as to why they think there's a problem.
>>
>Pirating the game causes all text to be written in webdings
>>
>>269507394
Go fry me some eggs
>>
>>269507575
They'd just look at the game code, anon.
>>
>>269492078
Underrated post

This idea is the bomb
>>
>>>269488140
>Enemies become the slightest franction harder every time you the player saves

Max Payne 1 had a quick save bug like this
>>
>>269504787
Would be better if it unlocked some special bonus ending; as it is, that idea is stupid as fuck. Thank god you will never make games, because they would be unbelievably shit, you huge faggot.
>>
>game takes place in a big city
>huge tvs on many of the buildings
>pirating the game makes the tvs play japanese puke porn nonstop
>>
>permadeath
>monsters that split into two during combat, both copies giving exp
>all of them get slightly stronger and faster when you kill one
>if you try to exp grind you'll find yourself trying to get away from a swarm of superfast superstrong splitting enemies
>>
>>269508243
And this is bad how?
>>
>>269508156
Yeah, agreed. I can actually see some Japanese game doing the reverse, that is a 1% chance for a dream sequence that gets you a surreal as fuck ending, but the original idea is just retarded.
>>
File: 1411626621965.jpg (43 KB, 153x317) Image search: [Google]
1411626621965.jpg
43 KB, 153x317
>pick male/female protag
>randomly generated appearance
>if you delete your save to reroll you will get the same character
>can't play as a new character until you beat the game on that one
>you get a different ending based on how attractive your character is
>>
>You start with 3 party members in the tutorial
>Do the tutorial fight giving each member 100 exp
>After that the 4th member joins
>They are always 100 exp behind
>>
>>269507846
Whatever, samefag
>>
>>269496768
>if you're autistic enough to get that much money before progressing farther and manage to buy them, they turn out to be replicas
>>
>Different mouse sensitivities in different options menu's
>random menus have different positions for yes and no
>in game sensitivity for a 4x game or a strategy game with a cursor is hard coded to never exactly equal your desktop/standard sensitivity
>pressing the button harder actually makes your car go faster in a racing game, just slightly enough to make a difference

>>269496697
>>269505579
Elder Scrolls as well has actual differences for genders. Until Skyrim at least.
>>
>>269499907

>Metroid Prime 3 opening
>the only way to to track the time left is a background speaker telling out how many minutes are left every few minutes
>>
mouse sensitivity scale has numbered markers but is on a logarithmic scale
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 85

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.