[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark souls lore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 250x182) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 250x182
Hold the fuck up

So how exactly did this undead thing happen?

Were the undead always a plague? It seems like the towns/cities used to prosper before people became hollows

Where did the hollow thing come from, is it some sort of virus or what?

>does it spread or is it contained?

????
>>
>>318440961
Undead are just dead people. Living are there, but you can't see them because you're dead.
Notice how you cannot loot anything unless it's from a chest or a dead body. There are rules that the dead must follow.
>>
Also is dark souls 3 going to explain the dark sign
>>
>>318440961
>So how exactly did this undead thing happen?
When it became a video game, because the undead are 'cool.'

>Were the undead always a plague? It seems like the towns/cities used to prosper before people became hollows
Plague? The undead just were. The prosperity came from the gods, because they need splendor for things to look cool for the player.

>Where did the hollow thing come from, is it some sort of virus or what?
It's the writers attempt at shoehorning in a death mechanic in a world where everyone is supposed to already be dead.

>>does it spread or is it contained?
Seems to do both, judging by the locale.
>>
>>318440961
I always thought that the undead are just what humans are in the game, and they all have the problem of hollowing or something. Like there's no difference between 'human' and 'undead' in the world.
>>
>>318441149
What the fuck

So when a person dies their body disappears and it's teleported to the undead dimension or what
>>
The rules of being undead never make sense to me.

So apparently you just get up again and again until you hollow and lose your mind but what about Siegmeyer if you complete his storyline? His daughter kills him and he doesn't get back up. What about any other NPC you can talk to in the game? Where does undeath start and being killed for good end in the spectrum of the Dark sign?
>>
File: 1420415715018.jpg (359 KB, 1280x1001) Image search: [Google]
1420415715018.jpg
359 KB, 1280x1001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-zsuW6aSTA
>>
>>318441513
I just figured there's a final death at some point where you can't hollow any more, and for the player character themself that final death is if you quit the game and never play it again. Probably not a satisfying explanation but it's what I tell myself.
>>
>>318440961
Undead in the souls series tend to be treated as inter-dimensional beings throughout time and space.

Solaire of Astora :
>We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land.
>The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
>The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.
>There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact.
>But, use this,
to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly co-operation!
>>
>>318441725
Makes sense. The undead loses their fighting spirit and gives up on life, just as the player gives up. It's a metaphor for hope and perseverance.
>>
I always assumed being undead/hollow was a magical curse or some shit and there was someone working behind the scenes to control and undead army or something.

I always assumed there was some secret boss or deity that controlled the hollows or manipulated them.

Maybe they'll show him/her in dark souls 3
>>
>>318442050
The undead are trapped in corporal or soul form instead of passing on by X (Kiln of the First Flame, The Old One, Giant Magic, ETC).

You basically choose to end magic and the undead, or reign as the new source of both in every souls game. At least that was my understanding.
>>
>>318441405
After funerals probably.
We see it in the DaS intro cutscene.

I'm not really sure what to make of DaS2's lore and plot though.
>>
File: demonssoulsarchstone.jpg (74 KB, 633x504) Image search: [Google]
demonssoulsarchstone.jpg
74 KB, 633x504
>>318440961

>talking about Dark Shit lore when the better game (Bloodborne) has just received new content and Demon's Souls remastered has been teased for PS4, with the Land of Giants Archstone fixed

You never cease to disappoint me.
>>
>>318442514

DaS 2 isn't canon.
>>
>>318442514
DaS2 can die in a fire.
So disappointed in that game.
>>
File: Dark Souls lore.jpg (117 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls lore.jpg
117 KB, 460x690
>>
>>318440961
It would be good if they put a little more history and not: here take this sword slay everything
>>
>>318442738
Fuck off faggot, every single entry in the series is great.
Dark Souls is a straight up upgrade over Demon's Souls in terms of game mechanics too.
>>
Undead are caused by a curse started when Gwen kindled the first flame. I imagine there are regular people still around, just not in Lordran. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to send you to the asylum at the beginning.
>>
File: 1443331560144.gif (424 KB, 157x157) Image search: [Google]
1443331560144.gif
424 KB, 157x157
>>318442981
>>
>>318443742
Is lord ran a continent like Australia or like America, I wish we were told how many other lands there are on the dark souls planet

If there was a moon area/boss that would be amazing like a portal or teleportation to the moon... You would be able to "live" since you are undead
>>
File: 1368700932752.png (79 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1368700932752.png
79 KB, 250x238
>>318444338
>If there was a moon area/boss that would be amazing like a portal or teleportation to the moon... You would be able to "live" since you are undead
>>
>>318444338
Bahahaha
>>
>>318440961

How can you be this dense? It's explained right in the opening of DaS. At first there were but eternal dragons and undead creatures. Then the undead discovered the flame. That's how you get Nito, the Witches of Izalith, Gwyn, and the progenitor of the human race, the Furtive Pygmy.

The Darksign is caused expressly by the fact that tthe flame is weakened. It isn't whole. It's why putting it out causes the Age of Man. No more flame means no more darksign. But it also means no more gods or magic. That's why they, Gwyn and crew, didn't want the flame to go out. It goes out and they lose their power. But the Furtive Pygmy realized that the flame is doomed to fail and created a race that isn't dependant on the flame to live. Humanity.
>>
>>318444338
What the fuck
>>
>>318442050
this is a dumb theory that goes against the themes of dark souls
>>
>>318444338
Micolash is that you?
>>
>>318444996
Why is Kaathe so adamant to bring it then?

Look at his Darkwraiths and 4 kings. Not to mention spreading abyss like syphilis.
>>
Can someone please explain what the giants are? For fuck's sake
>>
>>318445491
They're like the giants in Norse mythology n shit, or maybe that's what the Lords are? Fuck man I don't know
>>
>>318445491
big niggers
>>
>>318444996
Not sure that's right, because then being unhollowed wouldn't be referred to as being human. I think that all humans were the undead at the beginning of time, when the lords found the fire they gave it to the undead which made them human. The fire is now dying and because of that humans are turning into undead once again.

This is why Gwyn and the MC are tragic heroes, they sacrifice their lives and their sanity so that humanity can survive.
>>
>>318445491
Take like a person, or whatever. Now imagine that, but like, now hear me out here, like seriously now, like, bigger.
>>
>>318448324
Oh.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (44 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
44 KB, 640x360
>>318440961
Didn't you hear that old bitch at the start of the game?

There was light, and darkness and light and darkness and light and darkness... ANDDD light ANDD DARKNESS LIGHT AND DARKNESS. Dark---ness and LIGHT.
>>
>>318442738
>Demon's Souls remastered has been teased for PS4, with the Land of Giants Archstone fixed
you msut be fucking kidding me, is this real?
>>
>>318441221
Who knows. You don't even play an undead, you use embers or something to become a lord of cinder, no humanity
>>
>>318441221
What is there to explain
>>
>>318445491
They're big guys.
>>
Does Drangleic, and by extension the Dark Souls world exist in a separate parallel dimension from another dimension that also experiences the curse of the undead? The opening of Dark Souls II has the Bearer falling into water that reflects a world that doesn't exist.
>>
File: cooler.jpg (60 KB, 468x423) Image search: [Google]
cooler.jpg
60 KB, 468x423
>>318442738
>implying Bloodborne's convoluted bullshit plot where the ayys did everything evil is better than Dark Souls'

Better gameplay, better atmosphere, shit story
>>
>>318453640
lel
ouch
>>
>>318440961

Here's a hint:

The ultimate trophy/achievement in the game is called The Dark Soul and is represented by a picture of the Darksign, that thing which marks the undead.
>>
>>318453640
> Better gameplay
Ehhhhhh. The lack of playstyles though
>>
I thought hollowing wasn't a plague just the affects of the dying flame on humanity.
>>
>>318440961
>Hold the fuck up
The curse of the undead appears when the first flame begins to die out.
>Were the undead always a plague? It seems like the towns/cities used to prosper before people became hollows
The undead only appeared when the first flame died out. At that point, the average person feared the undead, and so they herded them into the undead asylum.
>Where did the hollow thing come from, is it some sort of virus or what?
The curse of the undead (and the following is mostly speculation) was likely caused when Gwyn linked the flame. Well, what did he link it to? Humans. This explains why we burn humanity at bonfires and why humans are drawn to light despite it being against their nature (humans are of the Dark). Essentially, it was a way for Gwyn to feed the flame a bit longer.
>>does it spread or is it contained?
The curse of the undead seems to either spread randomly, or perhaps is caused when a human dies. Nobody really knows, and its not elaborated upon. The important thing is that most humans you're in contact with (and probably in the rest of the world) in DaS are undead by the time the events of the game take place.
>>318442848
>>318442971
C'mon now. DaS2 wasn't quite as good as the original story-wise, but it was an overall improvement to the mechanics of the game. Also, PvP works without having to wait around 10 minutes while you establish a connection.
>>318445491
If humans are beings of Dark, the giants are beings of Light. The Lords and those who serve them are giants.
>>318453551
Basically, DaS has this whole time rift thing going on. Everyone is in their own "world," and sometimes these worlds intersect. Solaire explains it pretty well.
>>
>>318442848
why wouldn't it be, it doesn't contradict DaS from what I have gathered after digging through the lore. Did someone explicitly state this is so?
>>
>>318454534
DaS2 has a lot of haters.
>>
>>318454647
DaS2 is flawed but enjoyable.
>>
>>318446867
Well in Atorias of the Abyss it is explained that humanity (as in the substance/power) is not exclusive to "humans" also you can find humanity on rats, so there's more to it than that
>>
>>318453640
The ayys are above good and evil. You didn't pay attention to the game (if you even played it) or else you'd know that all the bad things stem from the acts of men and their greed for power.

"We are born by the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood"
>>
>>318441149
That's some pretty bad fanfic m8
>>318440961
We don't know. It could have started anywhere between the discovery of the Souls and Gwyn linking the flame. There's no definate indication of if it's a disease, a natural condition, if it can be passed on... The nature of the curse is all speculation.
>>
>>318455134
Not that guy, but the reason Humanity is on rats is because they've been eating dead people.
>>
>>318455198
The dark sign came from the First Sin, which was Gwyn lighting the First Sin for the first time, right?
>>
>>318455312
Then that proves Humanity is a corporeal substance.
>>
>>318455527
Just like any Soul. Humanity is just a fragment of the Dark Soul.
>>318455413
I've seen nothing to really indicate that.
>>
>>318455413
meant to say Gwyn lit the First Flame
>>
File: 1440961708512.png (473 KB, 637x964) Image search: [Google]
1440961708512.png
473 KB, 637x964
>>318440961
In short, the current reality of the world is an unnatural state of being.

Grey nothing from the Age of Ancients is what the world is suppose to be. Fire, light, dark, death, and disparity are all temporary things.

The First Flame brought life and souls to the world. Gods, Demons, and Humans were born from this.

When the first flame dies, life and death cease to be and everything reverts back to the gray nothing.

Hollowing is what we return to. Its not a curse but our natural state. Humanity is our memories, emotions, and soul. Without that, we become hollow. Fire brought disparity and without it we go back to being nothing.

Not suffering, just nothing.

Not sure what you mean, but it seems that the hollowing is triggered by depression/hopelessness/insanity. I assume as long as you stay sane and logical you wont go hollow. Undead had communities they lived in so I guess they could form civilized societies.

Where did the hollow thing come from, is it some sort of virus or what?
Its the natural state of men but its caused by the world returning to what it once was.

Imagine someone throws a torch into a cave. The fire burns for a short while but eventually it fades and the cave returns to normal. Fire is temporary. The Dragons are everlasting, we are fleeting.

>does it spread or is it contained?
Eventually it will spread everywhere but it seems to strike at random.
>>
>>318440961

The undead are the japanese victims of the nuclear bombs. They're trapped in a western representation of reality unable to come out or redeem its leader choices.
Now they're being controlled by they're killers grandchildren.
>>
>>318441273
Mate, Google 'lore'
>>
>>318451794
People are REALLY reaching for the supposed remaster teaser image. It'd be cool, but not likely.
>>
>>318455848
>>So how exactly did this undead thing happen?
>Grey nothing from the Age of Ancients is what the world is suppose to be. Fire, light, dark, death, and disparity are all temporary things.
>When the first flame dies, life and death cease to be and everything reverts back to the gray nothing.
>Its the natural state of men but its caused by the world returning to what it once was.
>Imagine someone throws a torch into a cave. The fire burns for a short while but eventually it fades and the cave returns to normal. Fire is temporary. The Dragons are everlasting, we are fleeting.
B-but "one day the flame will die, and only Dark will remain." Not grey, but Dark. Also the beings we see in the beginning who find the souls and become humans are never explicitly stated to be hollows. I would say the curse was likely caused by Gwyn linking the fire. They never say what he linked it to, but I would argue he linked it to humanity. This explains why humans are drawn to light (bonfires) despite their nature being dark, and also why we feed the bonfires with humanity. It's just another way of feeding the flame and extending the Age of Fire.
>>
asdfg
>>
>>318457097
You need light to have dark.
>>
>>318454534

Just off the top of my head, there are some contradictions.

The four lords thing is wrong. Seath only had a fragment of Gwyn's soul. The Pygmy and the Dark Soul were the fourth.

Hexes being attached to Nito and his descendants is wrong. Dark is exclusive to humans and Manus was the progenitor of that branch of spells. Speaking of which, where did the Humanity item go? The game is literally named after what it is.

An eternal cycle of Fire and Dark to dance around answering which ending in DaS1 is canon doesn't make sense when the Age of Dark was always called the definite end of Fire. Why would the Primordial Serpents be manipulating the outcome when either option works? Why are they inexplicably absent in DaS2? Why do items and NPCs still refer to linking the flame as if it's a meaningful action?
>>
>>318454509
oh thank god a sane person arrived, it all makes sense now thanks
>>
>>318457247
The narrator in the beginning of DkS doesn't mince words when she says that one day the flames will fade and only dark will remain. It might seem that light cannot exist without dark in our world, but DkS doesn't necessarily conform to IRL duality. We don't know what happens when the flame fades, but we do know it WILL bring on an Age of Dark, not a new age of ancients.
>>
>>318457791
No flame = no humanity

In "The Age of Dark" there will be no life. No nothing, just hollows. No Dark Wraiths or Demons. Maybe the Primordial Serpents could survive.
>>
>>318442738
Go away Sonygger.
>>
>>318457429
Human Effigies are essentially Humanity Sprites, they look similar and do the same thing, who is to say the didn't change over time? As for the aesthetic change, it is probably only that, an aesthetic change
>>
>>318458331
I meant to say "who is to say the name didn't change over time"
>>
>>318458265
>no flame = no humanity
Kaathe says that the age of Dark is to be the age of humanity. It would be pretty hard for it to be the age of humanity without humanity. Humanity will live on and rule the world, although we don't know if they will take the same form they took in the Age of Fire. Even if we don't take Kaathe at his word, how do you figure that no flame means there will be no humanity?
>>
>>318440961

Is every "lore discussion" just people discussing the same things over and over again?
>>
>>318458265

You're thinking of the Age of Ancients.

Pictured above is what the Age of Dark looks like. Hollows are just undead bodies lacking Humanity. No bodies, no hollows.

>Once, the Lord of Light banished Dark, and all that stemmed from humanity.
>And men assumed a fleeting form.
>>
>>318457074
The teaser image you're talking about, is it the tweet from Bloodborne with the case saying DeS?
If yes, that's quite some reaching. And I'm hoping to fucking god it's in holy shit
>>
>>318458837
Hello, new anon here.

People defending the "Age of Humanity" as a good thing (even if it IS the natural end state of the world) seriously confuse me. We know what a world without the flame, ruled by Humanity looks like: The Abyss. I think maybe people (incorrectly, imo) interpret it as "an age ruled by humans"?
>>
File: Humanity_Phantoms.jpg (30 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
Humanity_Phantoms.jpg
30 KB, 500x357
>>318459154

Fuck, forgot the picture.

Honestly humans are probably better off in the light. Who would enjoy floating around in the darkness as a shadowy blob?
>>
>>318459248
I would argue that the abyss is like chaos. If chaos is corrupted light, then abyss is corrupted dark. However, we don't know what will happen in the age of Dark. Maybe it will be like what happened in Oolacile; or maybe it would be like the age of Fire, but with humanity ruling over itself; or maybe something else. It could be that abyss and dark are identical, or it could be that they are separate, as chaos and light are.
>>
>>318459494
You just described half the people on this board dude.
>>
>>318440961
The way I understand when Gwyn casted himself into the first flame to continue the Age of Fire, somehow he released a curse, where when the flame starts to fade the undead curse plagues humanity

That's why in Dark souls 1 and 2 the entire game you gather souls to become as powerful as the first flame needs to cast yourself into the fire and rekindle the flame.

Thing is with SCOTFS you now can choose not to rekindle the flame because with the crowns you no longer go hollow, you have found a way to stop the course at least temporarily.

I think Dark Souls 3 takes place after someone didn't rekindle the flame (making the SCOTFS ending canon) and the world is returning to a dark age, that's why the everlasting Dragons are returning and you no longer go hollow, you are now a Heir of Fire, as are the bosses because the power of the lords of cinder (the ones that have rekindled the flame) is passing onto people as a way to fight the coming of the Dark.

Atleast that's what I understand about the overrall plot about the Souls series
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.