[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game overrated, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: Ttydbox.jpg (126 KB, 256x344) Image search: [Google]
Ttydbox.jpg
126 KB, 256x344
Is this game overrated, /v/?
>>
>>268741351
Nah, it's really good.
>>
It gets the praise it deserves.
Why do you think we shit all over sticker star? It had so much potential coming from this and it squandered all of it.
>>
>>268741351
a bit. it has repetitive level design, and quite a few boring segments of just retracing the same steps you just stepped over.

not just in the spoopy woods chapter, you did this the first half of the island chapter, repeatedly during the moon chapter, 90% of the train was just walking up and down the train talking to people, etc.

however it's still an excellent game in just about every other regard. To call it one of the best games on the gamecube is no exaggeration, to call it one of the best RPGs of all time is no exaggeration, though perhaps one of the best games of all time, that might be a bit much.

I'd only ever think WELL of a person who called it one of their personal favorite games, though.
>>
>>268741351

No, it's solid all the way through.
>>
Yes.

Defenders of the game conveniently ignore how much it cribs off of the original Paper Mario, how much backtracking the game has, and how verbose the writing is.
>>
>>268742347
b-but MUH VIVIAN
>>
>>268742347

I never thought the back tracking was excessive or gratuitous and I enjoyed the writing.
>>
File: 1399563901492.jpg (65 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
1399563901492.jpg
65 KB, 400x600
>1st Rogueport chapter
>Hooktail Castle
>Flurrie
>Boggly Woods
>Flurrie
>Vivian
>Flurrie
>Twilight Town backtracking
>Flurrie
>General White fetchquest
>Flurrie
>Edgy final chapter and boss
>Flurrie
>>
>>268741351
Yes and no.
>>
maybe slightly overrated, although its still a fantastic game. I'll always prefer PM64 over TTYD
>>
No. If you want a game that's overrated, it's Bowser's Inside Story.
>>
>>268744114
Why is BiS overrated?
>>
NO! it is not overrated.
You are....
>>
Nope, at least not according to scoring sites, critics etc. Everyone on /v/ will say it's great because most of them have played it and loved it. Hands down probably one of if not the best RPG on Gamecube at the very least.

Only reason I would see outright hate or trolling towards it on here is because of le counter-culture and people being mad that other people like it.

It does have a few flaws but they hardly dampen the full game, especially if you compare it to the first one which was also pretty damn great.
>>
Absolutely.

It's pretty good though.

Fuck anyone who thinks it was better than the first Paper Mario.
>>
>>268744168
Because Bowser hogs the spotlight, resulting in the Bros. getting the worst 2D segments and the game is plagued with mandatory minigames you have to repeat multiple times.
>>
played it recently and there's a lot mroe backtracking than I remember. but it's still a fantastic game.
>>
Vivian is a boy. He will give you the gay virus. Do not give in.
>>
I like to believe the whole PM64 vs TTYD debacle is one of the loudest and most unresolvable arguments on /v/.

/v/ can't agree on anything, but this is one of the things that /v/ can't agree on the most.
>>
>>268744507
I'd add
>barely any unique enemies in the entire game (especially for bowser)
>short as fuck if you ignore bean hunting and postgame grinding
>>
>>268744972
It's because neither game is perfect, but they do the opposite things right.
TTYD has a much better battle system and writing, but 64 has a better overworld and pacing.

A game that mixes both of their qualities together would be perfect, but it doesn't exist.
>>
>>268744507
>>268745152

People only hail it as the best M&L game because it gets their dicks rock hard.
>>
>Top Tier
Paper Mario 64 and The Thousand Year Door

>High Tier
Super Mario RPG and Superstar Saga

>Mid Tier
Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team

>Low Tier
Partners in Time and Super Paper Mario

>Bottom Tier
Sticker Star
>>
>>268744384
The only friend you've ever had, and for that I must kill you
>>
>>268745331
I always thought partners in time was the best.
>>
>>268745691
>implying

Superstar Saga > PM64 > SMRPG > TTYD > DT > BIS > SPM > PiT > Sticker Star
>>
My brother loves PM64, but refuses to even give TYD a shot because it's apparently too boring
>>
Without a doubt. Half the chapters are garbage. Backtracking is not fun.
>>
>>268745867
Come on, anon. I love the M&L games too, but they're in a different league than the Mario RPG games.
>>
>>268746031
Tell your bro he has great taste.
>>
>>268741351
Nah it is aptly rated. sticker star fucked paper mario
>>
>>268746169
He also refuses to play Super Mario RPG
>>
>>268745867
Superstar Saga's first half is phenomenal but its after Woohoo University the only standout section is Guffawha Ruins, and the combat gets extremely repetitive by the endgame since it never really gets any more complex and there's no reason to not spam Chopper Bros the entire time.

I fucking love Super Mario RPG but its timed hits systems is really underdeveloped and two of the four party members are completely useless by the endgame, so I'd have to knock it down a peg or two for the combat compared to its peers. Smithy is also a really underwhelming final boss.
>>
>>268746290
>two of the four party members are completely useless by the endgame
I'm pretty sure both Bowser/Geno are viable comps with Mario/Peach. Am I wrong? I haven't played it in forever.

Mallow a shit, though.
>>
File: 1390668930512.jpg (21 KB, 372x331) Image search: [Google]
1390668930512.jpg
21 KB, 372x331
>>268745691
>Super Mario RPG
>Anything other than a nostalgia-fueled Baby's First Final Fantasy with Mario characters shoehorned in to sell more copies
>>
>>268746491
Bowser is completely outclassed by Geno at the end, because his ultimate equipment is utter garbage compared to everyone else.
There's no reason to use him.
>>
>>268746501
Super Mario RPG's overworld style makes it pretty distinct compared to Square's other SNES RPGs, the combat is well polished despite the difficulty and the writing is really fun.
It's actually one of the better RPGs they released for the system. It's not in the same league as FFV, FFVI or Seiken Densetsu 3, but calling the game shit for not being on the same level as arguably the best RPGs ever released is a bit unfair.

And every Mario RPG is baby's first RPG.
>>
>>268743287
Twilight Town/Creepy Steeple is all backtracking, but the atmosphere and characters help offset a lot of the tedium.
>>
File: 571376017039592.jpg (16 KB, 275x177) Image search: [Google]
571376017039592.jpg
16 KB, 275x177
>>268744691
>closet faggots are so desperate for ghost cock that they completely ignore all context and take a cunty characters taunts as truth
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 607x586) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 607x586
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf5NjyV9W1U
>>
>>268745691

Switch PM64 and SMRPG
>>
>>268747350
>Closet faggots are so desperate to justify their attraction that they completely ignore a character's ingame menu description and believe 4chan rumors instead
>>
>>268741945
> during the moon chapter, 90% of the train was just walking up and down the train talking to people, etc.

It was a murder mystery....best chapter imo. great dialogue.
>>
>>268747980
>Switch TTYD and SMRPG

fix'd
>>
>>268747350
>>I-It's just an insult guys
From nip wiki
>ビビアン
ステージ4で「イチコロバクダン」を返却した後に仲間になる、カゲ三人組の末っ子。最初に登場したステージ2では中ボスとしてマリオに戦いを挑んだ。一人称は「アタイ」でクリスチーヌですら可愛いと言われるほどカワイイ女の子のように見えるが、実は男の子である(海外版では諸事情で本物の女の子になっている)。
>>
>>268748280

TTYD improved on PM64 in every concievable way. I dont understand your thought process.

You remind me of the plebs who prefer MK64 to Double Dash.
>>
>>268748315
Sorry, in the west Vivian is a female.
>>
IMO it's really overrated and has many key flaws stated in this thread. It's a great game but people are giving it too much credit. Personally I think SPM is really underrated just because doesn't have the same gameplay as its predecessors which is really just QTEs. (Not that those are bad, but people just disregard that solely for that.) It easily has the best story and character dialogue in the Paper series. It did have its tedious moments, like the infamous world 5-1 second set of blocks.
>>
>>268749031
>TTYD improved on PM64 in every concievable way.

Except it didn't. I don't understand YOUR thought process, nor the thought processes of braindead TTYDfags who are convinced the game is faultless in every possible way.
>>
File: crotch chop.gif (2 MB, 380x216) Image search: [Google]
crotch chop.gif
2 MB, 380x216
>>268749261
>Thinking bidoof localization is canon
>Over what the original creators and writers intended
>>
>>268749720

Could you perhaps tell me what you liked about PM64 so I might have something to work with here?
>>
It's like Final Fantasy VII. Good, but not the masterpiece many claim it is. From my point of view, it's a good example of how exactly a sequel should be.
Don't pretend there's no one here that calls this game a masterpiece because there are, I've been in enough threads.
>>
>>268744168
BIS isn't overrated. Pretty much everyone that has it as its favorite in the series admits it's because of Bowser goodness. I've yet to see someone argue that any M&L other than the first one deserves first place in "best in the series" (not "my favorite in the series"). And this is coming from a Bowserfag who prefers BIS. M&LSS is just a lot better.
>>
>>268749701
SPM is nothing but backtracking and unengaging combat. TTYD is the peak of the series but certainly overrated.
>>
To a certain extent, it is overrated. If you analyze the game objectively there are a lot of bad slow points. Fuck most of the island chapter.

However, COMPARATIVELY, it is not overrated. It would easily merit a spot in anyone's "Top 50 Games" list.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.