[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Valkyria Chronicles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: ValkyriaChronicles.jpg (117 KB, 1024x729) Image search: [Google]
ValkyriaChronicles.jpg
117 KB, 1024x729
Got this in the November Monthly Bundle.

Just finished the main story in around 40 hours. Really fun game with xcom/FE-like gameplay. The setting is by far my absolute favorite thing about the game, a fun retelling of WW2.

My only complaints are that the dialouge is very dull some of the time and some scenes are very 'animeish'.

I was actually quite suprised over some of the story, like showing the bad side of war (dying soldier crying out for his mom/concentration camps/dead kids) in this otherwise rather colourfull and comedic game.

I've never seen /v/ talk about it though, anyone here played it? What's your verdic?

Also, Faldio is best character.
>>
>>318315695
>I've never seen /v/ talk about it though, anyone here played it?
Threads are pretty regular, daily now that a new game has been announced. Unfortunately, that new one is a spinoff in an alternate universe that doesn't look much like the original. None of that WWI/II influence.
>>
It isn't like FE at all
>>
>>318315918

>that new one is a spinoff in an alternate universe

Well that sucks, especially when they already have a good cast of characters and lore to continue some years after the events of VC.

I mean, you could have a war with the Atlantic Federation which did fuck all during the first game.

It's funny when you think about it. Gallia is basically Germany.
>An atlantic alliance to the west.
>Big "red" country in east.
>Concentration camps/Darcsen hunts in Gallia.
>Suffer losses from the atomic bombs like the axis did.

Only difference is that in this case Russia launched the bomb and Germany are the good guys.
>>
>>318315695
>weebs think that this valkyria chronicles has good writing
thats pretty funny
>>
I couldn't even finish it because the plot/characters pissed me off so much.

That white-haired chick was the biggest piece of shit and the MC is so generic/stupid.

Shame because the gameplay and side character were pretty great. Don't know why they decided to suddenly shove magic into the story out of nowhere.
>>
File: you spin me right round.gif (1 MB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
you spin me right round.gif
1 MB, 658x370
>>318315695
One of my favorites! Gallian Crossfire mod is great if you want a hard mode with less broken mechanics. Also, anime is mediocre, not bad. Usual adaptation complaints
>>
File: 010.jpg (2 MB, 2439x3504) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
2 MB, 2439x3504
Reminder to play VC3 if you haven't already done so.
>>
>>318316897

I've never once said the story's good, it was pants on head retarded most of the time.

>they're using the power of the Valkyrier
>we can't use it because it's baaaaad

I wanted to punch Welkins so many times.
>>
>>318317875

Does a psp emulator exist?
How does it compare to VC?
>>
>>318315695
I refunded the game when I found out that the main characters 'sister' was actually not blood related to him, since it made me realize that they didn't even try to write any original or interesting characters. And the setting is typical anime bullshit, the main villains were cartoonishly evil 'baddies' that just gunned down innocent people for no reason. Its an insult to even compare this to real world events.
Its too bad since the gameplay was pretty fun, although the game was over 50% cutscenes in the first two hours. If they wanted to make a story focused game they should have put some actual effort in.
>>
>>318318228
Yes there is a PSP emulator, and this plays better than VC1 due to the mechanical improvements and smaller maps. Sadly the graphics look bad since it's a portable title but you learn to live with it.
>>
File: 080.jpg (3 MB, 2442x3471) Image search: [Google]
080.jpg
3 MB, 2442x3471
>>318318228
Yes. VC3 was never localized, so you have to go with the fan translation.

It's an improvement in almost every aspect. From the characters, to the story, to the core gameplay. Even something like it's lack of map variety or connecting maps due to PSP limitations has some silver lining.
>>
>>318317875
those are the cutest forced-into-combat criminals ever
>>
File: 041.jpg (2 MB, 2435x3485) Image search: [Google]
041.jpg
2 MB, 2435x3485
>>318318740
>Kurt
>cute
>>
>>318318546

Well you find out about the sister after the tutorial mission, so you're telling me you only played that? I don't see how that makes a bad character as well?

I don't see how WWII lite edition is a typical anime setting or how it's insulting to the real one by not being realistic. Also most of the villains had a compelling side to them as well which you would know if you played it more. But yeah, a few of them are also cartoon evils as you said.
>>
>>318315695
The setting is great, the visuals are great, the gameplay mechanics are great, the level design is great, the story/characters/dialogue are bad, the gameplay balance is bad.

I'm not sure if I want to play VC3; I can put up with a crummy story if the gameplay is good, but from what I hear the PSP severely limits the maps and visuals.
>>
>>318319993
>I don't see how that makes a bad character as well?
Because she was literally the same character that has already appeared in countless other anime, none of the other characters were well written either. No one in that game behaved or talked like a real person. I was constantly cringing at the dialogue.
>you're telling me you only played that?
I finished the first tank mission then couldn't take any more
>I don't see how it's insulting to the real one by not being realistic
I was talking about how some people praise it for being an 'interpretation' of world war 2
>most of the villains had a compelling side to them
ok, what was 'compelling' about them?
>>
>>318320469
Visuals take a hit, but gameplay is fine. The maps are reused, but they aren't exactly the same.

They have different enemies, enemy placements, objectives, shortcuts so you still have to think about what you're doing. The maps being split up also add some strategy to it since your sometimes forced to split up your units to progress and fight a war on two fronts. It does it much better than VC1.
>>
>>318319993
I've played through ~80% of the game and the villians that I saw were terrible.

The blonde Nazi-like guy was fucking evil incarnate. The only interesting looking character, and he's a one-dimensional bad guy who has a typical I-dont-give-a-fuck-about-the-collateral-damage attitude.

The white-haired bitch was one of the worst characters I;ve ever seen. She has generic superhuman powers that can fucking destroy a tank in one hit, is a total cunt that completely fucks up gameplay with a sniper-lance that two-shots your damn lancers.
What's more, they try to write her off as a tragic character in that dlc when she's still a cunt.
>''p-please,, spare my men! I'm not evil!''
>''Nerve gas?! that's a war crime!''
>''Fuck this, I'm nuking this entire fort with civilians and some of my own countries soldiers still occupying it.''

God, she was insufferable. Don't know how slavic tank man and the emperor turned out but it couldn't have been to great either.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.