[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
itt: games trapped in early access/kickstarter development hell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 2765624-4250938401-.jpg (166 KB, 536x536) Image search: [Google]
2765624-4250938401-.jpg
166 KB, 536x536
itt: games trapped in early access/kickstarter development hell that you wish were actually being made by competent teams
>>
File: 1411967956338.jpg (632 KB, 1300x873) Image search: [Google]
1411967956338.jpg
632 KB, 1300x873
>>318152521
>>
File: 3.jpg (603 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
603 KB, 1920x1080
>>318152654
it kind of amazes me how slowly they put out new content for this game. i check back every month or so and practically nothing has changed each time.

pic related is my vote. for the past year every update has been "we changed the way some minor gameplay thing works" or "we changed our mind and reverted that last change."
>>
>>318154434
>try to play solo
>get my shit wrecked by any group of two or three people because combat is fucking awful and jerky, plus the group can just pool the shitty rng fest that is blueprints for the objectively best gear
>try to build a hut on a rock
>three guys attack me
>one guy spouting russian over local and chat
>craft the only thing I can, a green shirt, and tell them i'm one of them because they're wearing green jackets in the middle of the frozen wasteland
>they add me and take me back to the "russian compound"
>turns out the russian guy didn't actually know russian and his keyboard was only typing in russian on rust for some reason
>become part of the russians
>have hella fun managing their huge base just off the coast and raiding people
>weekly resets make base management a grind and whoever kept building the base would keep making tons of unused rooms and changing door codes everywhere making it impossible to get around when only three rooms mattered (storage/furnace, respawn, and highvalue loot)
>slowly gave up trying to raid or build because there was no space or reason to build, raiding was made into a fucking abysmally slow process for anyone who didn't invest into C4, and harvesting materials so they would just get reset come next week held no interest
>devs add refineries and other resource-producing structures in but won't let you seal them in like any sane person would do making them pretty much pointless to make unless you can be close by to guard them from every shitter with a rock and spear
>devs made wooden spears literally one shot people when thrown for a while
it got so bad
I can't bring myself to even try it anymore
>>
>>318152521
I tried to like that game but after playin 7 hour and then dying for a small mistake I no longer felt like playing anymore, i will just stick to the arena.
Permadeath games aren't for me.
>>
>>318155379
permadeath's okay as long as there's some persistence re:game progression that offsets it. right now, that game is trying too hard to appeal to its 'it's so hardcore' shit spouting fanbase.
i stopped in similar circumstance but it was made worse because my weapon had glitched through a door and i couldn't do anything to defend myself.

>>318154434
>pic related is my vote. for the past year every update has been "we changed the way some minor gameplay thing works" or "we changed our mind and reverted that last change."

this seems to be crux of the problem with so many of these small-team, passion project type deals. they just get so hung up on refinement or minor changes that they lose sight of the project as a whole. overgrowth is possibly the worst example of this phenomenon.
>>
>>318155379
I felt the same way. Considered turning on the easy mode but I don't even understand what that would do, really. Why not just have a fucking save feature.

The trouble with the arena mode is that all the story-enemies fight like gurning retards and you don't get the same choice of weapons, so getting used to the greatsword and knights of the arena makes it harder to fight the zombies in story.
>>
File: WORLD STAR HIPHOP.webm (3 MB, 520x293) Image search: [Google]
WORLD STAR HIPHOP.webm
3 MB, 520x293
>>318152521
>tfw played arena mode for 70 hours

send help. it's my go-to couple hours to kill game.
>>
>>318156327
>use a sledge because all of the onehand weapons while fast don't have enough stopping power and have way too short of a range
>nail tons of zombies all the way through the game
>accidentally miss and take a glancing blow from a sharp weapon
>loose half my health permanently
i'm all for hard games but having to redo an hour of the game whenever you die is fucking retarded
the difference between arena and story is that arena focuses on knowing when to defend and when to attack
in story the enemies make no effort to block and swing at predictable intervals, and it's also really unclear wether or not they're agitated by you so it's pretty much safer to just cave in all of their skulls instead of let them chase you into a dark hallway and beat you up
>>318156327
all you have to do is make it to the end of the levels, though I have completionist tendencies so I tried to grab every note and make sense of them all as I went through and ended up dying at the entrance of the third dungeon voiding everything
>>
>>318152521
>competent teams
Like Bethseda right ?or you meant Ubisoft?
How about Blizzard?
>>
What do you mean, OP? Is Sui Generis not in development anymore?
>>
>>318159737
it's been updating at a glacial pace
they keep pushing minor updates to the movement/fighting systems but nothing that actually changes the game very much
>>
Distance
>>
>>318160138
Rome was not built in a day.
>>
>>318152521
Overgrowth.

>in this update, we've added more realistic blood splatter physics when striking with a bladed weapon as opposed to a blunt one
>wait you mean this is actually supposed to be a game, not a tech demo? fuck
>>
>>318160517
i'd be fine with it if it were major improvements to the systems but so far it's not been very noticeable
i'd much rather have content or different ways to approach a situation besides "overhead and crouch just before they start to swing"
>>
File: 1444556418754.webm (246 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1444556418754.webm
246 KB, 640x360
>>318156796

The game just got updated, new map, armor, weapons and level perks
>>
>>318160671
that status update they published after a 9 month absence was hilarious.
>>
To be fair sui generis had a very modest kickstarter that only just met its goal
>>
>>318161858
aren't they like a year and a half behind schedule and still only 60% through releasing a prelude to the announced game?

modest kickstarter or not, their inexperience is showing.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.