[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about what they are promising? I personall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Chronicles-of-Elyria.jpg (230 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Chronicles-of-Elyria.jpg
230 KB, 1024x576
What do you think about what they are promising?
I personally think what they say about player-to-player interactions for quests and hiring reaches Peter Molyneux-level delusions about what they can do. What do you all think? Is this the game that saves MMO's?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/description

They don't even have an active wesbite yet, it's still "under construction"
>>
It will be shit like every other indie mmo before it, just throw a bunch of cool ideas out during the kickstarter and roll in money for a few years before delivering a hollow shell of what was promised
>>
>>344925891
Isn't this the game where your character ages?

Sure it seems like a cool feature but if you die of old age and lose all your shit it's just a pain in the ass and a no-fun feature. The cape physics looked cool, love games with capes and hoods, cloth physics is a big plus for me. Although it doesn't save a shit game from being a shit game.

I think the aging feature will be cool the first time, then it will just be tedius and annoying. The game would probably be better without it in my opinion, or atleast make it like a "prestige" option or something. Doubt it will be a successful game to be honest.
>>
>>344925891
This and Pantheon seem neat.

Not holding my breath anymore for MMOs though.
>>
>>344925891
>Kickstarter game development
No.

You should expect one of two things from a video game Kickstarter: a working demo so you can see how the game plays/what it actually looks like, or a functional video game studio which has put out titles so you know they can actually produce a game. If it doesn't have one of those, then it is a pipe dream envisioned by pie-eyed idealists who think they can magically produce something if only they are given some money.

Mind out, sometimes it does work out, but far more frequently it just crashes and burns... or they slap together some shit and release it just because they are forced to. If you don't have a working track record (showing they can make the game) or a working demo (proof they can make part of the game) then you're basically betting on it being good, even assuming it gets released.

>don't even have an active website yet
That's a fairly big sign that they are disorganized and poor at planning. Especially since the Kickstarter ENDED - well over a month ago, at that - it is a fairly worrying sign. Generally you would be putting together the website BEFORE you put up the Kickstarter, not trying to piece it together a month and a half later.

>Is this the game that saves MMO's?
No. This game won't save MMOs. No game is going to save MMOs. They're just baiting your money over nostalgia with that line.
>>
>>344926925
I feel the same way. Before their release date I bet they'll have to be "scaling back" some of their key advertised capabilities
>>
File: 2976377349_d51d841020_o.jpg (254 KB, 1097x1045) Image search: [Google]
2976377349_d51d841020_o.jpg
254 KB, 1097x1045
>>344925891
From the thumbnail I thought it said Elvira and thought someone was remaking the old point-and-click adventure games.
>>
>>344925891
>current year
>western RPGs are basically copies of Oblivion
WHEN WILL IT FUCKING STOP
WHEN?
>>
>>344926825
well I've looked into it and according to whay their say, it takes 10-14 months for their character to go through their life cycle. They also claimed your new character can get back the old abilities of the other character as a rapid rate. The thing that pisses me off is that they are basing their income off of getting a new character. about $30 for a new "soul" after your old one dies. Screw that
>>
>>344925891
The game wants to be a real-life simulator in a fantasy world. This does not ever work. I'd love to be proved wrong, but seriously, failure after failure in this area of MMOs. let alone MMOs as a whole, has led non-casuals to be very cynical in this regard.

That being said, pretty sure the lead developer sold like 90% of his shit to fund the game, but it's still going to be shit. It may make money, but it'll be shit.
>>
>>344926825
>Sure it seems like a cool feature but if you die of old age and lose all your shit it's just a pain in the ass and a no-fun feature.

That's the one one thing that game actually seems to be doing right. Incorporating permadeath elegantly is honestly the biggest draw the game has to me, as that allows all the other elements to be balanced around that risk-reward scheme instead of being whack a mole. I feel like this is the right idea in order to get sandbox RPGs to work, as it allows greifers to actually be punished without naked alt loopholes.
>>
>>344928027
This will definable happen to the combat system at least, there's no way they'll do that properly.
>>
>>344929098
out of curiosity what other MMO's have tried this? Did they even get released?
>>
>>344931201
The only times I've heard "real-life simulator" were with Dwarf Fortress and in a way, Minecraft. I've not heard of a MMO trying to be real-life, although a number of those shitty sandbox survival games use the "just like real life" line to excuse PvP slaughter and allowing them to ignore the situation.
>>
>>344925891
Looking through the video now.
Bumping to respond in a bit.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.