[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tl;dr - I need grindan' games. Been playing grinding games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: pursuit.of.happiness.short.webm (3 MB, 408x240) Image search: [Google]
pursuit.of.happiness.short.webm
3 MB, 408x240
tl;dr - I need grindan' games.

Been playing grinding games all my life. Can't help it. I need to see that exp bar keep climbing until it can't climb no more. It's how I do things in life, it's how I play video games. I grind all levels, I grind all unlocks, I grind all secrets, I grind all achievements. I'm never done with a game until I see that 100% completion.

And I'm bored with my current crop. A lot of my friends are gone now, a lot of servers are dead, a lot of games are 100%'d, and I've regained some self-control and have limited myself to only about a dozen games that are mostly single-player now. But those are also almost done and I only need one or two things from them (e.g. beat OP8, Providence monster log, "play this game for a year") or I'm waiting for dev support to die out so they'd stop tacking on new objectives.

I need new games to play and not just any grinding games: Ones with a decent rewarding grinding system that makes me feel like it's still fun to waste time on it and ones that have interesting gameplay. Maybe one of those games where you grind by running missions repeatedly for exp/money with an extra chance for rare drops on top. I guess a simplistic analogy would be like doing crossword puzzles or sudokus every day even though there's no point in doing them after you solve the first few because now you know how to find the solution every time but you keep doing them anyway. Like Recettear's dungeon system (100%'d the shit out of that over two years), or Diablo/Torchlight/Bordermemes style grinding. Except no actual MMOs please, I'm done with those, especially the ones centered around PvP only and/or "teamwork" that require putting up with other people, and they have no end. I think I've played enough MMOs in the past two decades to last me a lifetime. I say that but I'm still on-and-off playing MOBAshits because I can't quit them.

What are some grinding games you guys enjoy playing on a regular basis? Old and recent.
>>
Progress Quest.

Cookie Clicker.
>>
>>344842524
I ended up writing bots for a lot of the browser clicker games I played when I went through the cookie clicker phase along with everyone else.

Some of them were pretty ridiculous though. There was one where it turns out the requirements to hit milestone levels for achievements was impossible to do with normal play because the universe will end before you can enough clicks in. The developer to that particular game replied "You're not meant to 100% it, just play it for fun" and refused to fix the curve. It was funny because some people tried to cheat and basically had it collecting 10^26 clicks a second and were still several thousand days away from hitting the next milestone achievement. I was starting to ween myself from my MMOs (and some were just dropping off out of the blue) so I managed to get away from the clicker games soon after.
>>
>grind
>fun
>interesting gameplay

pick none
>>
>>344842431
Any jrpg, from final fantasy to neptunia, you can find something in the middle that fills your tastes
>>
>>344842431
Any chance you could play PAYDAY 2 with me? Would love to grind.
>>
>>344842431
Xenoverse
Disgaea
maybe Dragon's Dogma if you a 'max every class' run'
Maybe MGSV if you focus on unlocking everything you can develop
>>
>>344843659
>>344845717
JRPGs are what got me into MMOs in the first place and I'm actually still grinding a couple of older (old by 2016 standards) ones on my DS Lite. I do have most of the older Final Fantasy steam releases and the Tales pc ports but I hear the Tales ports are complete shit, along with Disgaea which is pretty depressing because I played the shit out of them when I still had consoles and would love the chance to 100% them. I had a vindictive brother who forced me to share consoles and save files with him via parental mandate. He kept deleting my shit whenever we had a fight because he knew how much I cared. We haven't spoken to each other since I moved out.
I'd be one of the faggots out there wandering around at 4-5 am for Pokemon: GO if I didn't burn myself out on Pokemon while maxing out IVs while breeding/hatching manually on multiple DSes around Gen IV or Gen V. I think Platinum was Gen IV.

>maybe Dragon's Dogma if you a 'max every class' run'
I actually never considered Dragon's Dogma. I'll check it out, thanks.

>Maybe MGSV if you focus on unlocking everything you can develop
If I didn't miss out on playing the earlier games when I still had consoles, I probably would've already gotten it already actually. I really hate jumping into games not in chronological order, it messes me up when I try to play and then after I play the earlier games in chronological order, I have to go back and replay the game I first played so that I can keep track of what the fuck's going on before moving onto the sequel that came out by the time I finished. Did that with a bunch of franchises like Asscreed and Borderlands where I went BL2 -> BL1 -> BL2 -> TPS and it was painful (didn't help that I lost my offline-only BL2 save along the way somewhere before I finished BL1).

>>344844432
Are you just starting out or do you mean like 3-8 hour DW meth runs?
>>
Dynasty warriors hits the spot for me
>>
>>344847124
>Tales
Symphonia is a shit port and a good game.
Zestiria is an okay port and a bad game.
>>
>>344847498
>Zestiria is an okay port and a bad game.
That's sad to hear I pre-ordered it with Symphonia when it first showed up on Steam. Maybe I'm better off emulating Symphonia if I ever start it again.

>>344847375
All of them, or just a particular one? I never really got into the series so I don't know much about it. Steam seems to only have DW8.
>>
>>344848213
Get the fan patch that fixes Symphonia's resolution and framerate and you should be fine.

Zestiria is widely considered to be the worst Tales game. The only worse one is Tales of Tempest which was literally removed from canon by Namco for being so bad.

Zestiria was also such a disaster that the director Hideo Baba was kicked upstairs and replaced. Fortunately the next one, Tales of Berseria, looks actually good.
>>
>>344847124
I'm like V-93 or something like that.
You sound like the kind of guy I can be friends with. I love grinding games to an extent though. I stopped playing after microtransactionswere added but I'm trying to get back into it myself.
>>
Mountand blade
>>
>>344848824
Also I recommend dishonored and going for 100%. Very hard game to 100% but it is a hell of an achievement
>>
I was doing some Terraria servers that would be fun with mods.
>>
>>344842431
Warframe
>>
>>344842431
Ark can get really fucking grindy. Like having to stay up for several days grindy.
>>
>>344849320
It's not doing stuff grindy, just taming.
>>
>>344849425
"doing-stuff" grindy *
>>
>>344849425
And taming that shit requires absurd amounts of grind. Especially on officials, just look at the cost of a gate or a treehouse. And grinding out a metal base is a nightmare.
>>
Get into path of exile op and we will see you in 3 years again
>>
>>344842431
Man Warframe is up your alley.
>>
>>344849536
Warframe's grind is its weakest aspect, though. Moreso than in most games. There's nothing interesting or rewarding about it at all.
The game works because the gameplay itself is fucking solid but that's about it.
>>
>>344842431
I loved that game, I put 500 hours and god knows how much money into what was what I thought was the perfect game to spend my time on, and they just took it out back and shot it.
>>
>>344842431
Battlefield Bad Company 2 and all the sequels
Call of Duty 4 and all the sequels
War Thunder
World of Tanks
Basically every other free to play MMO
>>
>tfw grindan and unlockan games trigger my OCD
>>
Ever play Torchlight 2? It's a fun lil' Diablo-esque game.
>>
>>344849185
>>344849536
A lot of my real life friends keep pestering me to play Warframe or Dark Souls with them even though they barely play like 1-2 weeks at a time before fucking off to another game (which was the reason why I had a MMO problem, because they kept pressuring me to join a new MMO every few weeks). As far as I can tell from my friends' descriptions, Warframe devs are like PD2's devs where they don't know what they're doing, and the top level grinding achievements are currently impossible to obtain even if you max out weapon mastery on all of them (or whatever that mechanic is) because there aren't enough weapon in existence to grind.

My friends also keep fucking off for random dailies and alerts or whatever and I don't think I can handle that kind of MMO-like questing anymore.

I like grinding but I also like being able to actually 100% it eventually without persistently being on alert to get some RNG timed event reward and being able to play something else in the meantime. It's also why I really don't want to start another MMO. It's why I fucked off from iRO when Renewal came out. On top of WoEs, MVP camping, and trying to get +20 shit, I just couldn't handle it anymore.

>>344849139
I'll pass on Early Access games. Played and grinded too many of those only to be disappointed.

>>344849139
Terraria was my MMO relapse. It was a hell of a drug. Now that 1.3 (I think) put out achievements and who knows how much content, I am scared to restart it again for fear of it happening again. I had obsidian mining setups and spawned who knows how many worlds just to farm the Hard mode metals so I could have one of every item.
>>
>>344842431
Try Musou games. They usually have 50+ characters to level up and aren't just mindless clickers.

They are mindless I admit, but at least give you visceral fun and implied strategy.
>>
>>344850057
BTW I'm guy who wanted to play payday. Post steam profile maybe?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160713-040737.png (321 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160713-040737.png
321 KB, 720x1280
>>344842431
Pokemon go
>>
File: Runescape-idle-adventures.jpg (416 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Runescape-idle-adventures.jpg
416 KB, 1920x1080
Runescape.

The ultimate grindan game.
runescape 3 is better than old school
>>
File: 20160426230620_1.jpg (521 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160426230620_1.jpg
521 KB, 1920x1080
Planetside 2 has grindan and shootan on a massive scale
>>
>>344848213
>>344850084
To follow up on this DW8 is fantastic. The biggest one yet. If you do end up 100%ing it there is Xtreme Legends, which gives you more characters to play through story mode with, and Empires, which allows you to create your own character and conquer China with.

My personal favourite was DW3 but that may be a bit dated now although I can go back to it whenever.

Other Musou games to try would be Samurai Warriors for the same gameplay in a different setting, Sengoku Basara for deeper combat, or if you're a fan of a particular anime there are One Piece, Gundam and a Berserk musou coming soon.
>>
>>344848824
Post ID or something.
There's also /pdg/ which for some unknown reason manages to still exist. The latest free weekend and Update 100 brought in some people so it's currently more active than it has been for the past year.

>>344849035
I got Dishonored in a Steam sale from who knows when. I'll bump it up on my list. Thanks.

>>344849950
I never got around to playing 2 but I played a pirated copy of 1 a long time ago. If it still has a community to play with or is completely doable solo, I might look into picking it up.

>>344850084
Any one in particular? Like the Dynasty Warriors suggestion, there seems to be a lot of them.
>>
File: 1461964584167.jpg (348 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1461964584167.jpg
348 KB, 560x560
>>344850057
>mfw playing Terraria with Tremor and Throium loaded at the same time
>mfw all dat content
>>
>>344850513
This. so much grinding
>>
>>344850707
see here
>>344850673
>>
>tfw you loved to grind 6 years ago
>tfw you can't even bring yourself to grind for an hour now

Why has everything become so boring?
>>
>>344850707
Ah. I've just been looking for someone in general to grind with and/ or 100% achievement with.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/kylus200/
I love achievement hunting, too if you're down for that.
>>
>>344851152
Repetitive design. It's not obvious that dev studios even play games.
>>
File: 1546e34324[1].jpg (544 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1546e34324[1].jpg
544 KB, 1920x1080
>>344850707
DFO is pretty good if you like grinding but you end up praying to rngesus if you want epics/ chron sets
>>
>>344850513
ded game
>>
>>344851490
is this game actually alive? thought it got shut down, hows the population ingame?
>>
>>344842431
How the actual fuck has Warframe not been brought up

legit MMO teir grind hidden inside a shooter with a bit of p2w that can be grinded for instead (if you disregard some cash exclusive cosmetic items)
>>
>>344850673
Alright, guess I'll go with DW8 first if I pick them up. Thanks.

>>344851301
As long as it's not stealth-related, I don't mind too much. Devs broke something in the netcode again so stealthing in a group is virtually impossible if you're not just rushing. Also some of the stealth heists just suck when not done loud.

Sent you an invite.

>>344848913
Haven't thought about M&B for a while now, I'll actually look into it. Thanks.

>>344849526
Isn't PoE an MMO? Trying to avoid those.

>>344849737
>>344850217
>>344850350
>>344850513
>>344851490
Trying to avoid MMOs, hence the single-player focus.
>>
>>344851989
Disregard the first sentence

been up all night
>>
Wow that's pathetic OP. You're most likely autistic as well. Can't see any other way someone could find grinding fun.
>>
>>344851979
it got rebooted by the owning company Neople, its alive enough to get parties together and play pvp, they also pump out events so that its quick and easy to level
>>
>>344851992
>single-player focus
Play Borderlands, Fallout 3, NV or Skyrim then. Have you thought of going for 100 % achievements?
>>
>>344852096
Nono. Not Fallout 3. Anything but. Still has windows gaming
I myself recommend Diablo 3.
>>
Roguelikes/lites
>>
>>344851992
If you go for DW8 try and find the Xtreme Legends: Complete Edition. It's usually cheap and has both DW8 and DW8: Xtreme Legends bundled in to it.

You'd still need to buy Empires separate but really you only get that if you like the series and characters so you can move there if you want more.
>>
>>344850707
>There's also /pdg/ which for some unknown reason manages to still exist.
We survive by posting gay scalies and pictures of sokol fucking Captain winters and lewds of /pdg/-tan. Good times, good times
>>
File: OTCAnim.webm (2 MB, 641x360) Image search: [Google]
OTCAnim.webm
2 MB, 641x360
X series.

RTS.
>>
Path of Exile
Grim Dawn
or Meme(Border)lands 1/2/pre whatever
>>
>>344851992
no path of exile isnt an mmo it is an online-only free to play game but the only forced sharing is in towns whenever you go into other zones you open a seperate instance or join party members instances
>>
>>344842431

try factorio op
good luck grinding that one if you have the urge to make the perfect factory
>>
File: 1464049283092.jpg (97 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1464049283092.jpg
97 KB, 600x800
>>344842431
Path of Exile
>>
>>344842431
Monster Hunter?
Literally Grind Bosses: The Game.
Any of the PSP Monhuns emulate really well and MHX gets released on Friday for the 3DS.
>>
>>344852695
To follow up on crafting games- Minecraft with ftb infinity skyblock (or literally any of the many much much better modpacks) are huge grindfests with loads of fun (see: Autism) inside.

Steep learning curve too though thats mostly do to no documentation or in-game discovery of mechanics within 99% of minecraft mods.
>>
>>344852096
Already working on the BL games. Just trying to reach OP8 before I do my final OP8 loot grinding run.
Done with TESes and Fallouts too.

And yes, achievements are part of the grind for me. As long as they're not unobtainable (ded game, time-locked events, etc.) or don't require other people e.g. BL2's OP8 and stupid Overwatch, I don't mind difficult/grindy achievements.

>>344852381
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

>>344852279
Still not done grinding out FTL's Hard mode wins, though it's been on the backburner for a while. I should complete those. Don't know about starting a proper roguelike though given my (lack of) success with FTL.

>>344852691
Ahh alright. I have a friend who plays PoE exclusively and he made it sound like it was an online-only Diablo-esque game that you played with other people.

>>344852695
>good luck grinding that one if you have the urge to make the perfect factory
Sounds like something I might end up burning a couple hundred hours on.

>>344853070
I started Terraria when I relapsed so I could avoid Minecraft specifically.

Crafting and massive tech trees get me going forever but something about Minecraft just made it hard for me to get into. I could watch my friends make massive automation networks and whatnot in their Tekkit servers for hours and days but I still could never get interested enough to play. After a while of waffling about playing or not playing, I noticed Terraria and dropped into it immediately.
>>
>>344853627
Tell your friends to play Factorio instead of shitty Tekkit MC
>>
File: whuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.gif (2 MB, 466x350) Image search: [Google]
whuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.gif
2 MB, 466x350
>>344853627
>Sounds like something I might end up burning a couple hundred hours on.
I have 270hours since the steam release on 25th feb. and i haven't played much on steam. multiple instances for different modpacks/version
it's an awesome timesink
and it has motherfucking trains
>>
>>344853964
MC was years ago. They already moved onto other games. I think they're all outside playing Pokemon GO right now. It's funny because they made fun of me for "not outgrowing" Pokemon back before I quit and now they spend all day talking about Pokemon GO "strategies", comp meta as defined by Smogon, etc.

If I had any influence over what they played, I probably wouldn't be as disgruntled with them as I am today.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.