[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's do something /v/, I have 3 questions related to Mario.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: char-dobble-mario.png (136 KB, 313x390) Image search: [Google]
char-dobble-mario.png
136 KB, 313x390
Let's do something /v/, I have 3 questions related to Mario.

What is your favorite Mario game? Can be any game with Mario playable, including any of the spin-offs.

When was the last Mario game that you liked? Again, can be any game he's playable in.

How do you feel about the Mario series currently?
>>
>What is your favorite Mario game? Can be any game with Mario playable, including any of the spin-offs.
Super Mario 64

>When was the last Mario game that you liked? Again, can be any game he's playable in.
Mario Kart 8/Super Mario 3D World, whichever came out second.

>How do you feel about the Mario series currently?
Like all Nintendo franchises, but it's worst woth Mario, they're playing things way too safe, the games all feel so samey in art style, tone, and presentation they practically blur together, and they refuse to put in more than the bare minimum amount of care and creativity.
>>
>>344476274
>What is your favorite Mario game?

>When was the last Mario game that you liked?
Mario Maker

Great flagship platformers, fun spinoffs. Shame about Paper Mario and Mario Party, but all in all it's hitting its highs consistently and I can stay optimistic about most things.
>>
File: 1458523123062.gif (126 KB, 320x268) Image search: [Google]
1458523123062.gif
126 KB, 320x268
Sunshine. Actually, the Super Mario franchise is my favorite franchise.

NSMBU, but that's because I have yet to play MK8, Mario Maker and 3D World.

The series is consistently still good after all theses years, but I kinda wish they could make take more risks and put more creativity in the games. Miyamoto said there will be a kind of different Mario in NX, so I'm happy with that.
>>
Melee I guess? I feel like that shouldn't count though so I'll go with Mario 64 or Mario Party 2

New Super Mario Bros Wii

>>344476851
this guy said it perfectly. there is just no innovation whatsoever probably since Mario Galaxy came out. Mario Kart and Mario Party should be killed though.
>>
>>344476274
If it counts, Wario Land 2. If not, Super Mario Land 2.

I've fallen behind on Mario games for the most part. The most recent one I've played was Luigi's Mansion 2, but that's not a game he's actually playable in. So, Super Mario 3D Land, which I had fun with.

Seems like it could use another injection of originality somewhere or another. 3D World looks like a lot of fun, and Mario Maker does too, but I feel like they could probably look into making a new series soon, like they did with New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Galaxy and 3D Land/World.

The spinoffs aren't doing too hot from what I've seen and heard. I'm actually really behind on the RPG side of Mario; having not played any of the Mario & Luigi games since the original, should I just jump straight to Bowser's Inside Story? And would anyone here recommend Paper Jam, for that matter? I just realized I completely forgot that game existed, how was it?

And a new Wario Land game would be nice, though I'm not exactly optimistic about that. Then again, I never thought we'd get something like Shake It, so who knows.
>>
>favorite
Galaxy
>last
3D World
>currently
It's fine. Just waiting for the next game at this point.
>>
>>344477783
MK 8 was one of the most original feeling MKs ever.
MP is innovating lately and Star Rush looks fun.
3D World was quite generic but was still a charming game with it's own unique feel, obviously no where near on the same level as Galaxy, 64, Sunshine etc but still, it's not like the games have degenerated to mobile generic standards or anything.
>>
Galaxy, it got what made all the 3D Mario games great and perfected it.

New Super Mario Bros. 2. It was shit.

They're stuck in a rut. They have no idea what to do with him now and are stuck doing the same ol' shit. Even the Paper and RPG series that are highlighted and beloved for breaking the usual norm are beginning to all feel safe and samey.
>>
>>344478108
>3D World was quite generic but was still a charming game with it's own unique feel, obviously no where near on the same level as Galaxy, 64, Sunshine etc but still, it's not like the games have degenerated to mobile generic standards or anything.

The thing about 3D Land/World that a lot of people don't seem to understand is that the games set out to provide 2D Mario gameplay in 3D. The level design is extremely linear and to the point to capture that 2D vibe. I tend to compare the 3D Land/World games to the 2D games more than the other 3D Mario games as a result, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>344478108
>MK 8 was one of the most original feeling MKs ever.
Enjoyable game, still played it a bit too safe for its own good. Had a good amount of polish and content though, that saves it. DS is still the best Mario Kart.
>>
>>344477872
>having not played any of the Mario & Luigi games since the original, should I just jump straight to Bowser's Inside Story?
I'm guessing you're referring to Superstar Saga, if so, the answer is yes. Partners in Time wasn't all that great.

>And would anyone here recommend Paper Jam, for that matter?
Yeah.
>>
>>344476274
SMWorld
3D World
I hope it doesn't get worse.
>>
Sunshine probably. Mario 64 comes close.

Mario Kart 8 . I bought Mario Maker in December but I still haven't played it.

I just want a new good 3D Mario game. Paper Mario is dead to me. Shown by MM, the series still had potential, although Nintendo may shift to Mario Maker-esque games now (create your own game type things) with the franchise, seeing as it did do very well. Spinoffs have been shit except for the Mario Kart series, Mario Party especially. I really wish Nintendo put more creativity and brought the series. Seeing what they are doing with Zelda, I hope they do the same with Mario, even though they don't have to.
>>
Super Mario World
Mario 3D World
Needs to shake things up
>>
>>344478306
The last Mario game you enjoyed was shit?
>>
File: 1454530277020.jpg (499 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1454530277020.jpg
499 KB, 1000x1000
>>344476274

>What is your favorite Mario game? Can be any game with Mario playable, including any of the spin-offs.
Bowser's Inside Story. It had a nice, quirky story and I could finally play as Bowser. Also some witty dialogue on top of the fun characters and narrative.

>When was the last Mario game that you liked? Again, can be any game he's playable in.
Lately played VC SMB 3 which I enjoyed returning to since I was a child but for modern release, as above. I got Paper Jam and while I didn't outright dislike it, I went on a hiatus for it for nearly 3 months cause it got so boring and I got stuck.

Its in an alright place and I still like it. I haven't played the Paper Mario Series or Sticker Star to be a critic of that hot topic but Paper Jam was pretty damn boring up until the final boss/end game. The formula is good but it needs to be refreshed to see Mario succeed rather than simply pull through the next generation.

Was at a barber a month ago and have Bowser as my phone background. A little girl looked at it from a distance and asked me "Are you Bowser?!" really excitedly. So at least Mario as a franchise is still in the minds of the youth.
>>
>>344476274
My favorite would probably need to be SM3DLand. I really respected the challenge the secret worlds had, and it probably has the best artistic direction IMO. 2D Mario just looks dull, nothing in those games ever really "popped" for me.
3DWorld was k, but I don't fuck with nintendo besides the 3DS this gen so I never got invested.
My opinion on the franchise is that it needs a break. I can't enjoy these games when it feels like they're shoveled out as ninties life-rafts (which they have been). I've got shovel knight, Fates, and a steam library. I can hold myself over for awhile, I'm in no rush to get another mario game until the eventual thirst takes hold, but thats no time too soon.
>>
TTYD
3D World
It's alright
>>
Super Mario Bros (original)
Mario Kart 8
I really don't like playing any Mario since 64 because he talks too fucking much. Every single little tiny thing he does is accompanied by a "WAHOO".
>>
>>344476274

SMB3 and SMRPG

Mario Galaxy.

Utter autism shit. After Galaxy the Mario series went downhill
>>
>>344487939
You include Galaxy 2 in the good or the autism shit?
>>
>>344476274
>Favorite
Double Dash

>Last one enjoyed
Paper Jam was alright.

>General impression
Spinoffs are still solid (bastardization of Paper Mario aside), but the mainline needs an infusion of not-boring fast. Super Luigi feels like a fluke in the sea of ho-hum the platformers have been stuck in for nearly a decade.
>>
>>344488529
I still consider it fairly good, but cutting out the story and make it more linear was a mistake
>>
>>344489250
Well hopefully they can bounce back with Mario, I agree that it went downhill after Galaxy, but I don't think all the games have been bad, just massive steps back.
>>
File: 29507372_p0.jpg (204 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
29507372_p0.jpg
204 KB, 800x700
>>344476274
Paper Mario 64

Super Mario Maker (if that doesn't count, then 3D World)

While I liked SMM & 3D World I feel like the series in general is in a zombie state. Pretty much all the games lately feel soulless & are restricting themselves from becoming something truly great. With how consoles have gotten better I feel like this series hasn't grown with those consoles & went static after Galaxy, especially the 2D series. I don't see why NSMB.U, the fourth game in the "New" 2D series just finally got the overworld SMW had in 1991 & even then the levels didn't have as much exploration as SMW did (at least from what I recall). The Baby Yoshi's gimmick was neat though.

Also their spin-offs in the past year I've heard have been rather poor to say the least with Mario Tennis: Power Smash, apparently Mario Party went to shit when 9 came out & 10 followed up with similar shit and of course there's Paper Mario which is something I won't delve into, I'll just say I'm extremely disappointed in it, especially after reading all the interviews relating to Sticker Star & this new one. At least Mario Kart seems fine I guess but we'll have to wait & see until the NX one comes. Also while Paper Jam was dull based on the developers Miiverse interview I think it'll be fine & that was one just a weak entry. Anyways, I hope best for the series, it definitely won't die but it needs to boom with multiple great things soon.
>>
>>344492225
I'll bump also.
>>
>>344476274
This one is tough. I'll just say Super Mario World for the sake of having an actual answer.

Mario 3D World

It's alright. It would be nice if there were another classic Paper Mario, but I actually am looking forward to color splash anyway.

What I really want is another fresh game, either a Sunshine type game that experiments with a new mechanic or a 2D platformer with a new style of graphics/gameplay.
>>
File: Rosalina.jpg (348 KB, 930x1157) Image search: [Google]
Rosalina.jpg
348 KB, 930x1157

Super Mario Galaxy, both of them.

Super Mario 3D World, especially because my waifu is playable.

Main games are OK, the spin-offs like Mario Party and Paper Mario are getting worse and worse. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.