[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I started this game up and started playing, and honestly it kinda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 1Thief2cover2[1].jpg (39 KB, 400x395) Image search: [Google]
1Thief2cover2[1].jpg
39 KB, 400x395
I started this game up and started playing, and honestly it kinda sucked. The controls are terrible, and everything is super dark. What is the appeal of this game? Will I eventually enjoy it? I was playing on expert, is that going to be insanely difficult for someone who sucks at stealth games?
>>
>>344361790
Is that a no?
>>
File: 1376977480369.gif (223 KB, 440x296) Image search: [Google]
1376977480369.gif
223 KB, 440x296
>controls are terrible
Might be hard for someone who plays on consoles to grasp at first but PC games allow you to completely configure the controls to your liking.

>everything is super dark
Turn up the gamma.

>What is the appeal of this game?
Being sneaky

>Will I eventually enjoy it?
Not if you don't like being sneaky

>is that going to be insanely difficult for someone who sucks at stealth games
You're going to need to git gud at some point if you want to play the game without getting angry.
>>
>>344362929
Obviously gotta git guud, but what I meant wasis expert a good level of difficulty for someone new to the stealth genre? I like challenging myself, but there is a point where the difficulty is unreasonable and it may be better to opt for hard or even normal depending on the game. What difficulty would you reccomend?

>Can change controls
Yeah I know, but I have to change like pretty much everything ugh.

>Change gamma
Didn't do anything, leads me to believe something is broken cause I maxed it out and it was still too dark to see anything.
>>
>>344363265
Expert adds more objectives in the missions and makes it so you can't kill anyone or the mission ends. If you're not good at sneaking having to do all those objectives might be a bit too hard.

>Yeah I know, but I have to change like pretty much everything ugh.
I can't remember there being too many weird things with the controls. But it shouldn't take too much time to change most of the controls around. A lot of the keys are just shortcuts to items, which I never really used anyway since you can scroll through your inventory.

>Didn't do anything, leads me to believe something is broken cause I maxed it out and it was still too dark to see anything.
Don't know then. If you haven't used TafferPatcher that could cause some problems as before the patch a few years ago the Thief games did have some problems on modern computers. You could try that and should really install it even if it doesn't fix that.
>>
>>344363618
Will it allow me to up the resolution? I feel ridiculous playing on 800x600. What would you say is the best part of this game?
>>
File: DromedLifeOfTheParty.png (87 KB, 1280x880) Image search: [Google]
DromedLifeOfTheParty.png
87 KB, 1280x880
>>344364105
Yeah, the patch fixes everything and makes it as easy and featureful as any modern game. You could play it at 4k if you wanted.

>What would you say is the best part of this game?
First City Bank and Trust and Life of the Party are the best missions. All of them are good except the last one. Last one is pretty awful.
>>
>>344364681
Easy to play*

As in any limitations caused by how old the games are are gone.
>>
File: 1404356024859.jpg (25 KB, 183x152) Image search: [Google]
1404356024859.jpg
25 KB, 183x152
The sheer size of Life of the Party still blows my mind to this day.
>>
How did they fuck up Thief 4 so much? It was so simple to do a sequel and there was enough material to go off of.
>>
>>344364681
I meant like what about this game makes it so special?
>>
>>344366463
modern devs find a way
>>
>>344366463
They just dropped everything that made Thief Thief because it doesn't appeal to the audience they wanted for the game. It doesn't help that the people making the game apparently didn't even play the original Thief games or if they did they weren't taking their jobs seriously enough when they were tasked to make a sequel.

I don't care if it was a joke or not, but one of the devs at some conference was asked if you'd be able to ghost the game and he said something like "Ghost? Like moving through walls?". You don't do that shit when you're making a sequel to a loved video game and people are worried you're going to fuck it up.

>>344366757
I personally like the freedom of movement the games give you. They feel amazing to move around in. And the levels are massive too and you can just wander around them without the games leading you on (at least an obvious) string.
>>
>>344366967
Think it would play well with controller? There are a lot of movements, like leaning in all directions and stuff, seems like it could get hectic on a keyboard.
>>
>>344366463

consolitis + corporate fuckery
>>
File: 1.jpg (46 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
46 KB, 184x184
>>344367247
>controller
There's not enough buttons on a controller for Thief.
>>
>>344366463

The project was juggled around by several different teams over far too long a time. The game is complete shit but it could have been even worse, there was originally in place an EXP system that rewarded you for landing headshots on guards. I guess they realized they didn't need it since they already had several dozen different progression systems in the game.
>>
>>344367247
The game doesn't even have controller support so the only way you'd be able to get it to work is if you emulated a keyboard and mouse anyway.

Also there aren't enough buttons on a controller. You might be able to get the most used stuff on one but you'd be missing a lot of useful keys.
>>
>>344367385
That's not true. I recently had to adapt a PC control scheme onto a controller. All you need is some things to act as shift mode buttons that change what other buttons do then organize it in the most comfortable scheme possible.
>>
File: 0ba.jpg (33 KB, 661x720) Image search: [Google]
0ba.jpg
33 KB, 661x720
>>344366757
The game gives you huge levels and makes virtually every little nook part of your objective by requiring you to gather a set amount of loot before leaving. It encourages freeform exploration that meshes really well with all the mandatory collectibles and optional secrets you're expected to find.

There's a reason why the game doesn't give you a perfectly accurate map to follow, it wants you to make your own way around the breadcrumbs until you stumble into the things you're actually supposed to do, and that makes sneaking around great fun.

The lore is also pretty damn sweet. Some of Karras' sermons are incredibly well written, and the worldbuilding is top tier.
>>
either underaged or troll
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.