[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone ever play the Army Men series? I love Army Men II
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 183.jpg (11 KB, 338x183) Image search: [Google]
183.jpg
11 KB, 338x183
Did anyone ever play the Army Men series? I love Army Men II and Toys in Space, but apparently they were supposed to be shit? Has anyone played them recently?
>>
>>344294661
PLASTIC
>PLASTIC
>>
Loved me some plastic fighting. But man, they aged like milk.
>>
>>344294661

It's literally been over a decade since I touched an Army Men game but I do remember the first RTS titles being released around the same time that Starcraft, Warcraft, and Command & Conquer were skyrocketing in popularity (along with a few others). Most of the RTS Army Men were just good and solid games, which probably made them seem "mediocre" in comparison to their competition.

A lot of the later games apparently fell apart though. I remember the developer going through massive financial problems as consoles rose in popularity, with a few decent efforts at spin-offs involving Vikki Grimm.

In other words, they were good games that couldn't keep up with the times, constantly living in the shadow of more popular titles. I wouldn't be surprised if some businessman running the company started embezzling money by the end, accelerating the death of the series.
>>
>>344294661
>A FLAK JACKET
>>
>>344295386
I remember Sarge's War being the last game I got for my original xbox, and being so dissapointed in it. I relived that horror a few years later when I bought Xcom: the Bureau Declassified.
>>
>>344295126
I just noticed the 'roach' in the background in the OP. Jesus.
>>
>>344295676

The TPS? I remember they really started to move into different genres as consoles rose in popularity, and a TPS would obviously sell better on consoles than a modified RTS.

Even as a kid, it was pretty clear to me that Sarge's War meant that something was going wrong with the people making the Army Men games. It just didn't make sense to make something so different all of a sudden for no apparent reason.
>>
>>344295676
Man, sarges war was dark as fuck for plastic toys.
>>
Sarge's heroes was in my top 3 favourite game as a child. Shit was fun
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_3DO_Company?wprov=sfla1
Oh wow, the guy who founded EA founded that same comapny.
The Wikipedia page is really depressing, just one bad decision after another.
>>
>>344296747
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army+Men%3A_Mobile_Ops?wprov=sfla1
>latest installment was for mobile
Truly, mobile games are the graveyard for any IP.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67v4rd3ePn0
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.