[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best game to get into this franchise? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: deus_ex_wall_298.jpg (226 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
deus_ex_wall_298.jpg
226 KB, 800x600
What's the best game to get into this franchise? I've never played any of them.
>>
WHICH SHOULD I PLAY FIRST?????

Maybe the first one you inept prick.
>>
>>344259384
You should obviously play the first one.

It's basically the video game equivalent of "Alex Jones was right" and the writing is nowhere near as good as everyone says it is (nor, for that matter is the gameplay, which is awkward and clunky as fuck), but it was excellent for the time and the story/setting is worth exploring if only because it's unique.

IW isn't as bad as everyone says it is but that doesn't mean it's "great". Particularly at the end (that fucking Antarctica level) it stops making any sort of sense at all. The atmosphere is undeniably good however; just wish they didn't have to make the levels to teeny to fit them on the Xbox.

HR is the best one; however, it suffers from having a very troubled development mostly involving them not knowing how to fucking program properly causing them to waste massive amounts of time doing simple things like making a 3rd person camera for cutscenes. As such half the game had to be cut and the ending had ot be slapped together at the last minute. Most of it's pretty good though, and the gameplay is positively the best.
>>
It's not really much of a franchise, the genre isn't even particularly consistent. Play the first game (and don't be a retard who quit at Liberty island), see if you like it. If not, try Human Revolution anyway.
>>
>>344259814
That was a really bad choice of first level IMO.
>>
>>344259384

Anything but Invisible War and the phone one. Both the original and Human Revolution are equally great places to start. Both have strengths unique to them.
>>
>>344259384
If you're gonna be a fag and stop at liberty island, then at least cheat a few levels into accuracy to modernize it a bit.

I would much rather people play that way than not experience Deus Ex at all.
>>
The first one.

Do yourself a favor and never play the second one. Seriously. Both the first game and the entire series are much better off if you never touch that piece of trash.
>>
>>344263057
The GMDX mod isn't a bad option for modernizing the gameplay a bit.
>>
>>344263235
It's really not that bad. I mean it's not that great, but people seem to have the tendency to act like IW was the worst thing ever and DX is flawless.
>>
>>344263490
Invisible War seriously is one of the worst games I have ever finished, and I've played a lot of shit. It would be bad even if it wasn't named Deus Ex. The fact it's a Deus Ex sequel just makes it all the much worse.
>>
>>344264936
You haven't played a lot of shit games then.
>>
>>344259384

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJ98o1IhT8

Watch this intro and then you tell me, comrade.
>>
The first one duh.

I also recommend the mod Give Me Deus Ex which fixes some of the oldest shortcomings in the game. Like how guards don't noticed dead/stunned bodies.
>>
>>344263235

Best part of IW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Fwb8OrvSw
>>
>>344265923

No, the best part was the Omar faction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8GmNRRw7aI
>>
Hey, I got the director's cut edition on steam and ran into a bunch of problems, like framerate issues and stuttering. Can anybody help me out? Shall I just pirate the regular version?
>>
>>344266335

Yes.

The directors cut removed the yellow filter that was the basically the entire feel of the game.

Pirate that shit, comrade.
>>
>>344266542

Gotcha, but aren't there any mods or anything else I can do to fix it? I bought the deus ex package they have and I didn't realize this version sucked. Well, If I paid for the game anyways, I guess I shouldn't feel bad about pirating.

Any mods that are vital or you personally recc for the original?
>>
>>344266542
Since when? I thought that was a mod.

Plus the dev commentary is interesting, and Rifleman Bank Station is not a bad mission to include.
>>
File: 1456477041670.jpg (150 KB, 931x932) Image search: [Google]
1456477041670.jpg
150 KB, 931x932
>>344259713
Deus Ex predicted a lot of things, though.
>>
what's with the deus ex threads?
>>
>>344266646

Not 100% sure, senpai.

I got the original on Steam and when the Directors Cut came out, it just looked and ran like shit compared to the original.

But that's just my opinion.
>>
>>344266819
>new game coming out
>previous games on Steam summer sale
what do you think?
>>
File: 211264551_orig.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
211264551_orig.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>344266638
ENB
>>
>>344266980

Looks pretty damn good. shame it can't do anything about the stuttering on the dev's cut version, or I'd just use that on my current steam copy.
>>
>>344259713
>HR is the best one

excuse me?
>>
>>344267173
It's only because everyone views the original with rose tinted glasses that everyone still acts like that game was perfect. Many of its flaws, most of which are gameplay related, are fixed in HR.
>>
>>344263057
>cheat a few levels into accuracy to modernize it a bit
It's like in bloodlines where you can't shoot shit without spending exp for it?
>>
the original is good but dated
second is shit
third one is ok
if you think HR "fixed the problems" of the original you're a fucking retard
>>
>>344267705
yeah, but you start with enough XP to become competent in at least one weapon type
>>
>>344267487
Yeah I love how they fixed all that nasty freedom I had in the original.
>>
>>344268740
Freedom to what? Put points in swimming and be useless?
>>
>>344268740
What freedom? DX only has gameplay freedom. The narrative was always linear.
>>
>>344268740
>freedom

oh jesus this should be good

your freedom to... see some new dialogue options? your freedom to pussy out of the Gunter Hermann fight? where was my freedom to side with bob page or maggie chow?

and wasn't it nice to have some guns worth a fuck in HR? I know when I went from vanilla STALKER: SoC to Autumn mod, my guns actually worked and that was pretty cool and I didn't feel like a complete slavshit. Delay leveling marksman to Master in DX at your peril.
>>
hr was almost a good game until the e-zombies in the final level
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.