[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you fuck up so bad? The only good thing about this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12
File: star-ocean-5-logo.jpg (208 KB, 1203x682) Image search: [Google]
star-ocean-5-logo.jpg
208 KB, 1203x682
How do you fuck up so bad?

The only good thing about this game is the battle system.
>>
>>343982896
was it better in 3 or 4? Because 2 didnt even let you manually swing. Might as well have played itself
>>
>>343983202
The combat in this game is an upgrade from the previous games.

You see the enemy on the field and can right it right away no need for loading screens or that such.

But that is LITERALLY the only good thing about this game
>>
It seems like they wanted to make a safe low budget game to see if there is interest in the Star Ocean franchise based on this quote from the director of 5 where he says he's kind of rebooting SO

He continued, “However, these are my personal thoughts and nothing has been decided yet, but since I am kind of rebooting the [Star Ocean] series I know that I can’t leave it alone. I would love to release it somehow. Maybe create a back catalog or have some way to purchase it because I know a lot of people and maybe even people who play this new title would want to play the older [Star Ocean] titles too.”
>>
>>343984021
20 hour long story in a star ocean game let alone a JRPG is pretty bad.

Considering how many years between this one and 4 there are.
>>
I really like this game fuck you
>>
>>343984337
Give some reasons
>>
I read the reviews before hand and it was almost universally agreed that the game was mediocre and after playing it I agree. The game is a solid 5/10. The past two SO games have been really lackluster.
>>
So people starving for a good JRPG will eat FFXV up this sep, meaning FFXV will sell gangbusters. Nice fail Star Ocean.
>>
I'll buy it at some point, I like low-quality SE games.
>>
>>343985598
Yeah buying it on sale is the best option.
>>
File: instrumental.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
instrumental.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
The only legit complaint I've seen is that it's only 20 hours
>>
>>343985598
>low-quality SE games
This is how badly Star Ocean has fallen. Star Ocean used to be only second to Dragon Quest games for Enix. But modern day SE can't make a good Star Ocean anymore.
>>
>>343985598
You'll probably like I am Setsuna as well
>>
>>343985889
>Short story
>Characters are dull
>The "story" is complete dogshit and lacks any real motivation
>STAR ocean game where you stay on a single planet
>Stupid save system
>>
>>343982896

That's the case for pretty much every star ocean game. Don't know why you expected anything different.
>>
>>343986315
Its not anon. The first 3 are better than the last two.
>>
>>343986367
the first was sucked cocks tho.
First Departure made it playable.
>>
>>343986367

I didn't really like 3 either, but I'm not going to argue about it. I just don't think any of them have a particularly strong story. The best you can get are character interactions.
>>
The battle system is the worst part though. It's so braindead
>>
>>343987557
Brain dead but its the best thing about this game
>>
>>343986152

Only one of those is a real complaint my dude
>>
>>343987837
Okay buddy.

this your first SO game?
>>
>>343982896
just like all four star ocean games prior, then?
>>
>>343987901

No
>>
i tried the psp remake of the first Star Ocean and I thought the battle system was pretty boring. i had more fun with seiken densetsu 3
>>
>>343988718
You think it's okay to judge a game based on a remake? You are scum!
>>
Did anyone get past the nursery room? Why do I keep dying instantly there? I might give up on the game.
>>
>>343990217
The SNES version is a broken piece of shit anyway.
>>
>expecting anything good from SO
>>
>>343982896
This can't be worse than The Last Hope
Right?
>>
>>343991372

are you actually retarded?
>>
The semen witch's ass is reason enough to buy this game
>>
>>343991372
Yeah, I know exactly where you re talking about.
You can either equip Dead Man Walking, control a healer spec Fiore and tough it out or spend your rush gauge and instantly end it.
>>
>>343995015
I fucking told you niggers when the Japanese version came out

Serves you right for not listening to me
>>
>>343982896
It's Star Ocean. 2 and 3 are the only liked games and that's just because of how hard you can break the combat.
>>
My only complain is that you can't romance anyone besides potatoe face.
What ps4 games let me have my harem?
>>
>>343998448
Wrong.
You just need to choke her to death on destabilizers and the one you want with love potions just before the final boss if you did all PAs because there are much more with her than the rest.
>>
>>343982896
>Skill spam is now considered good battle system
What the fuck happened to people these days?
>>
>>343982896
2 was it's peak. It can never be topped again.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 168x252) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 168x252
Star Ocean 2 Vita/PS4 port when?
>>
>check regularly for restock of CE
>CE is in stock
>fill out checkout shit
>sorry, it's out of stock
I don't understand, people have been saying this game is shit but why is there a high demand for the collector's edition, it's even too expensive for its content.
>>
How does it compare to Infinite Undiscovery? How's the technical department?
>>
>>343982896

>>Only good thing for me was improved voice acting

Even the battle system has flaws. Don't lie guys. Star Ocean 3's battle system was fun but flawed balance wise (AIMING DEVICE x999999 times). This game is proves that Star Ocean has done almost nothing to improve it's battle system.

Also no one mentions how the use of a certain item crashes the game. Dunno why.
>>
>>344002294
Only S-E store sells the CE, right? They probably didn't make that many.
>>
>>343982896
I've lost all hope in fucking JRPG community after reading these youtube comments. Come on guys. The game isn't the worst ever, it's kinda mediocre but these youtube comments saying it deserves 9/10 or best Star Ocean ever? Enjoy having Tri-Ace's dick up your ass.
>>
>>343984021
>>343982896
How are the sales doing? I heard it bombed in sales for Japan and Zestiria sold 3 times better. Even on Amazon.jp the reviews are awful, mostly criticizing the story. No idea how international sales are doing. Anyone have a source?
>>
File: MFW.jpg (224 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MFW.jpg
224 KB, 1920x1080
>>343982896
Beat the game the other day.

First half 8/10
Second half 6/10
>>
File: 4mwkt.jpg (28 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
4mwkt.jpg
28 KB, 480x270
>>344003565

the OG throwback space combat cutscene was GOAT even without the budget to actually depict what was going on outside of the bridge, emmerson is a cool ass motherfucker
>>
>>344003565
Does the game have any dressup? Tri-Ace's last dressup simulator was pretty good.
>>
>>343984337
Oh yeah, fuck me. Now, do you mind explaining why you think the game is good? I played the game too, and I actually feel the reviews are too generous. Probably a 4/10 (below average) for me. I felt like after setting the A.I. up, the game just plays itself. The most I do in battles is pick one skill and abuse the hell out of it, until I find a stronger spell. That's dumb. Just objectively dumb, because I'm not even thinking while playing this. I'm also getting frame drops and the camera zigzags up and down during battles
>>
>>343985598
I respect your opinion but honestly the comments from Star Ocean fans denying the criticism has just been sad.

>>Not annoying characters is a positive even though characters have barely any personality

>>Camera is fixable in settings but thats mean we can ignore that its terrible design in the first place.

>>Can fix audio issues with multiple characters talking by turning on subtitles but ignore the fact that you are FORCED to do this or you won't hear shit

It's like "the game has all these bad things but you can ameliorate these bad things through settings" is now considered complementing the game.
>>
>>343987837
You're entitled to your opinion but I feel the game has a broken battle system, more so than the previous games. Even in SO3 where spamming was key, air juggling enemies, and stuns had greater rewards and payoffs. Star Ocean 5 allows you to just spam the strong attack you learn at the begging of the game, and beat the whole story just using that. Very little progress has been made with this series.
>>
>>344003721
No. Even postgame is just a dungeon that is instantly connected to the teleporter.
>>
>>344003565
Answer me anon. What is that expression trying to convey?
>>
>>344002294
Hardcore fans will buy anything, regardless of whether it's shit or the magnum opus of gaming. Do you not know how retarded fan bases work?
>>
>>343998261
You can break the combat just as hard on this game once you unlock berserker. Strange thing is, it feels worse to me, despite having better graphics. I feel like all the enemies I'm seeing are re-used. These bosses feel really lame too. I hear they're only like 12 bosses? Thats a damn shame.
>>
>>343991372
Upgrade necromancy role. Use dead man walking. That role is broken beyond belief. It shouldn't exist IMO.
>>
>>343983437
>>343983437
>You see the enemy on the field and can right it right away no need for loading screens or that such.
Too bad it's easy as fuck and I only got two skills in
>>
>>343986653
The character interactions suck in this game too though. Not even romance so even my dick isn't satisfied. Why the hell did my friends tell me not to listen to the reviews...ARGHHHHHH.
>>
>The story sucks

Oh, wow, welcome to star ocean. Unless you are 9 and this is your first RPG, you are not going to enjoy this.
>>
>>344006601
Yes anon ignore the majority of people who think the game is mediocre
>>
>>343984304
Chrono Trigger was 20 hours, you can do a 20 hour JRPG and make it good. Star Ocean 5 was not that game.
>>
>>344006601
>>344007284

A lot of my man children friends enjoy this game for some reason. Like to the point where they think it's the best star ocean yet and will revitalize the series.

So I guess, according to them Gamespot sucks, Eurogamer sucks, IGN sucks, RPGfan sucks, basically any gaming review site that disagrees with my friends taste sucks. They're all just paid off and corrupt for having different opinions. I actually feel sorry for reviewers nowadays. They should just give all games a 9/10 so everyone can just shut the hell up already.
>>
>>344008113
You still should try to look at a game's success relevant to its time. Otherwise things will turn out like they do in those Demon's Souls threads where they compare it to modern Dark Souls games. I understand your point but these comparisons are not always fair.
>>
File: 1427779069700.jpg (77 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
1427779069700.jpg
77 KB, 1024x640
>SO5 is worse than SO4

How the fuck did they managed that?
>>
>>344006338
Yeah the no romance is kinda dissapointing but at least you can fake it.
>>
>>344011665
>>
>>
>>344010975
>no budget
>Infinite Undiscovery designer as SO5 director
>Square Enix PR guy as the producer
it was a clear disaster from the first time they showed gameplay
>>
>>343984304
>20 hour long story in a star ocean game

This is normal if you just blitz the story in a star ocean. Nice to see people who've never played one or only ever played 3 still shitposting with it though
>>
>>344005864
The expression that he knows things are only going to get worse.
>>
File: Panty shot time.jpg (260 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Panty shot time.jpg
260 KB, 1920x1080
>>344011665
>>344011739
>>344011975
It's hilarious and sad how the moment the camera becomes free, people use it for everything other than watching the story. I sure hope they don't issue a patch. As if I wouldn't delete it.
>>
>>
>>344013556
Nope
>>
>>344017438
>>
>>344018869
http://www.speedrun.com/so3
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.