[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys think Yu Suzuki will pull off a Mighty No. 9 on Shenmue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 477290224.jpg (190 KB, 594x396) Image search: [Google]
477290224.jpg
190 KB, 594x396
Do you guys think Yu Suzuki will pull off a Mighty No. 9 on Shenmue III?
>>
File: yu suzuki.jpg (213 KB, 1280x738) Image search: [Google]
yu suzuki.jpg
213 KB, 1280x738
No.

Yu Suzuki and his team seem to be getting on very well. Everything seems very professional and instead of being full of excuses and timewasting side projects the updates are just things like new people they’ve hired and details of what they’re working on at the moment.

They are professional people getting on with their job and trying to make the game live up to expectations. A lot of others, I’ve noticed, try to make themselves seem like pop stars or pretend that making video games is some sort of cool spectator sport. I think I feel more confident knowing that quiet, sensible people are just getting on with it when it comes to Shenmue III.

Look at this man's happiness. This is genuine enthusiasm in being able to continue on the story of his magnum opus 15 years later. Him and the fans waited long for this opportunity.
>>
absolutely.

shenmue was never good but because it did something unique it's seen as a great game.

It's no longer unique though.
>>
SONY would probably send the yakuza if they fuck it up so i doubt that will happen
>>
>>343402261
Fuck off
>>
>>343401926
Yu actually cares.
>>
>>343401926
I'm really scared that's what's gonna happen, but we'll have to see. I certainly don't believe it's gonna be a groundbreaking experience this time around, like the first two. Partially due to budget, and partially due to Japan having fallen behind on TECHNOLOGY.
>>
I think it'll be just like Shenmue 1 an 2 and people will bitch and moan about it because they never actually played the first games

same problem as Resident Evil, people get in their head what they think the games are then get mad at the new ones for betraying that fantasy version in their head even though it's entirely accurate to the previous games
>>
No, because while Inafune is a complete hack, Suzuki has his shit together and is a brilliant designer.
>>
I actually forgot this exists
>>
>>343402371
Budget and tech go hand in hands.
They use Unreal so it's not about japan. I wish peoples could stop this kind of memes.
>>
>>343402409
This is also Yu Suzuki's dream come true. He wanted to make Shenmue 3 for a very long time and never had the opportunity or funding. Now he does. Inafune the con man wanted to bank on Mega Man fan's suffering, plain and simple.
>>
>>343402450
>Budget and tech go hand in hands.
Exactly, and this time around they don't have the same massive budget to work with as they did back in the Dreamcast days. I'm afraid it's gonna be a pretty generic game all in all, but creativity can also take you far, so we'll see.

That they're using Unreal instead of creating a new engine specifically for the game is already a sign that worries me.
>>
It's very difficult for another kickstarter to be as much of a trainwreck as Mighty no. 9. That game was a perfect storm. I can't see Yooka, Shenmue or Bloodstained going down that path just from what we know of those projects and the transparency of the updates.

The games ending up mediocre and not living up to the hype like Armikrog and Dreamfall Chapters? Sure, thats a reasonable fear. But thats nothing compared to all the negativity surrounding Mn9 with the Red Ash kickstarter, Deep Silvers marketing, Dina catastrophe, downgrades, delays, Inafunes professionalism and animated series.
>>
>>343403040
They don't need a big budget to match the original DC experience anymore though.
It's hard to realize but a lot of thing they used a lot of money and research time back then was thing the Unreal do automatically today like weather or TOD.
>>
>>343404347
It's true they don't need a lot of money to create nothing other than more of the same, but is that really doing justice to the series? The series was built on blowing people's minds in every aspect of it, and it would be nice to see them attempt the same now. Making an experience unmatched in our time, like it was then. But I digress.
>>
>>343401926

yes. every old dev is a hack now for some reason
>>
>>343402450

no its not. indie games like technomancer have better graphics/physics than mainline jap games like the star ocean 5 which had a showing at last year's e3 but ended up being an ugly muddy shallow turd in gameplay and graphics
>>
>>343401926
Shenmue 3 won't be a mighty number 9, it will be an even bigger letdown because it'll be exactly what shenmue 3 was supposed to be but nobody realizes they don't want that.

The shenmue people remember and for some reason like involved talking to fleshed out NPC's, wandering a very detailed recreation of an urban area doing mundane things and the odd karate action scene

The shenmue that gets set up at the end of shenmue 2 involves ryo getting a magic sword, realizing him and the girl he just met an hour ago have some kind of magic destiny and him bieng in a tiny remote chines village which won't have any of the cool stuff from the earlier shenmue games.

I guarantee he won't be smart enough to wrap up the story and give people closer on lan di either, he's gonna try and make a shenmue 4/5/6 and the series will end on a cliffhanger when it doesn't make enough money again.
>>
>>343402307
The truth always hurts.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.