[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Morrowind Any Good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9
File: Morrowind_1.jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind_1.jpg
18 KB, 320x240
Hey /v/, how good is pic related? Is it even worth buying?

My concern is, does the shit graphics affect playing at all? How good is the combat? How good is the story? And kinda most importantly, is Magic at least viable in this game? Magic was shit in Skyrim and Oblivion, is it any better in this game?
>>
it's a great game. combat is dicerolling based on your stats so keep that in mind since most people go HURR WHY AM I MISSING THIS MUDCRAB??? fucking retards
>>
>>343153232
What's your recommendation statwise?
>>
File: 0.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>343153059
Graphics wont affect you if youre not bothered by old graphics, plus theres great graphic overhauls that include post processing effects and such.

Combat effectivness depends on you not being a complete retard and trying to hit a ghost two yards away with a non silver/magical weapon that you did not specialize in at all, since its all dicerolled, but theres mods to change this.

Story is pretty good, the fact it doesnt have full voicing, dialogues are great.

Magic is pretty good in Morrowind, but you'll get the most mileage from Alchemy and Enchanting overall. Heck, they severelly toned it down in Oblivion and completely made away with most spellcrafting in Skyrim. Morrowind you have 100% freedom to make any spell you want.
>>
File: joke.webm (3 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
joke.webm
3 MB, 1600x900
no
>>
>>343153362
You can never go wrong putting a bunch of points into longblade.
>>
>>343153463
>>343153489

I'll probably just play a mage, I've always wanted to but they were so weak in Oblivion and Skyrim. What mods do I sue and where do I get them from?
>>
>>343153775
heres the link with a preview trailer for Morrowind Overhaul, its a purely graphic and sound overhaul that includes many great mods for it, I use it personally.

http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

Check the trailer and see if it tickles your fancy.
>>
>>343153775
As for playing a mage and on what to specialize, do know that morrowind is very picky on its dicerolls and rng for combat, so it might take some training on a particular school of magic before you get good enough to rely on solely your spells for the game. Its all about your journey to greatness after all.

If you're planning on playing a pure mage, I recommend taking Restoration, Destruction and Alteration at least for major skills, enchanting wouldnt hurt either. Depending on how you plan on equipping yourself, Unarmored or Light Armor too. For minors, Alchemy is a good pick since you'll be relying on magicka potions often, maybe Mercantile too.
>>
>>343153059
Graphics are objectively poor but the atmosphere they help to build is superb, they leave a lot of room for imagination which suits the dreamlike setting.
Combat is better than any other Bethesda combat because it's actually RPG combat that relies on your character stats rather than your ability to press the right mouse button to stop a very blatantly telegraphed attack.
Phenomenal story, this was before Bethesda hired Emil Pagliarulo.
Magic is extremely viable.
>>
File: 1376024743349.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1376024743349.png
2 MB, 1600x900
>>343153362

You can overhaul the graphics if you want, now the combat is another story, its trying to be as realistic as possible, but as simple as possible, so everything is a dice roll, how much block, how much chances to hit, etc. visually, players just do the attack move, but in "matematical" terms they are actually having a movie stlye fight, but its all in the numbers, you dont see that. so if you put a few points in axes, but you go with a dagger, you will miss every strike, becase in that matematical war, his chances of dodge the attack are higher than your chances to hit him, so you will fail every single time, like you will do IRL if you tried to stab someone with vast knowledge in QCQ and he just dodge every single attack, but for people with oblivion or skyrim in mind, they think that being in front of the character means they should hit, forgeting that huge math ware underneath.

I tried to be as clear as possible to explain you why the combat is like that, if you dont like it, i think there is a mod to make it more like oblivion, or if not, you can just import all morrowind into skyrim (skywind) and you dont have to worry about that anymore.

Morrowind will punish you hard for what you chose in class sign and stuf... make a custom class and play with the options depending of your chose. Stealth, magic or combat.
anything ousisde a regular fighter with armor and weapons end up being OP, alchemy, enchanting, magic and stealth archery
Use enchanting to protect yourself from fire, frost and shit, but to attack let a good sword do the job.
>>
>>343154898
>>343154742
>>343154389

Very well explained, thank you guys.
>>
File: nonsensicalcombat.webm (1 MB, 1980x1114) Image search: [Google]
nonsensicalcombat.webm
1 MB, 1980x1114
Uhhhhhh.................................

"no"
>>
File: 1376024693521.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1376024693521.png
1 MB, 1600x900
>>343155657
>vivec is after your ass
You deserve it.
>>
File: 1411276691578.jpg (299 KB, 822x706) Image search: [Google]
1411276691578.jpg
299 KB, 822x706
>>343153059
>And kinda most importantly, is Magic at least viable in this game? Magic was shit in Skyrim and Oblivion, is it any
Oh god kid get ready cause you're in for a beautiful thing. The Spellmaking in Morrowind is A++. You can mix literally any spell effects to make wild and crazy effects of all kinds. You can even fly. It's great.
>>
>>343153059
If you play a Mage in Morrowind you absolutely 100% need to get the fair magicka regen mod. In vanilla skyrim you literally don't regen mana except when you sleep.
>>
>>343156047
>You can even fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whz-LQlbI-U
>>
File: 1391738750626.jpg (56 KB, 319x266) Image search: [Google]
1391738750626.jpg
56 KB, 319x266
Don't be afraid to spend money on training your skills. There's a huge difference between a low and high skill level because of how the dicerolls work. Money is incredibly easy to get though by selling of gear you find and won't use.

>>343156115
>vanilla skyrim
I know you meant Morrowind.
>>
>>343156115
No need, godmode senpai.
>>
>>343156382
you can also use potions to drain your stats to have no level cap when you pay for training and get it for the cheapest price.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.