[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/v/ claims the level design in MGSV is forgettable and bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: MGSV-GZ-Shinkawa-Art-Famitsu.jpg (116 KB, 600x848) Image search: [Google]
MGSV-GZ-Shinkawa-Art-Famitsu.jpg
116 KB, 600x848
>/v/ claims the level design in MGSV is forgettable and bad

Yet here we are, almost one year after release, and I still remember more of this game than any other open world game ever made.

Could /v/ have been wrong about this?
>>
File: 1466443464860.jpg (50 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
1466443464860.jpg
50 KB, 533x800
>>342886909

But that was Ground Zeroes in your pic.

MGSV "The Phantom Pain" is the game where the level design went to complete shit. The Mfinda Oilfield, Zero's Mansion, OKB Zero and maybe the highrises on Afghanistan was probably the best maps that allowed for fun engagements, yet they all pale to Camp Omega. Even worse is that you become OP way too quickly and everyone though TPP was going to be filled with nothing but even better Camp Omegas, not shitty prefab buildings with empty space inbetween.

Kojima is a hack.
>>
>>342886909
>I still remember more of this game than any other open world game ever made.

Not much to remember OP
>>
Should I buy MGSV? I only have a PS3, had no hype for the game and I want a used PS3 game.
>>
>>342888154
There were more outposts that were cool, I can't remember their names but the one where you have to retrieve the killerbee for instance, is cool as fuck, the pretty large village through which you're supposed to look for intel to rescue miller is also cool, etc

more than once, when approaching an outpost i was like "damn this looks cool"

>Even worse is that you become OP way too quickly

honestly this is the players responsibility in many ways, you don't have to go in with all the OP guns, sniping everyone with a silenced tranquilizing sniper, using ddog to scout everyone etc

You want thrills in this game ? Subsistance mode. Having to improvise and rely on your own perception, taking risks and doing crazy shit just in the hope of taking down a single guy and maybe getting some equipment, now that's fun infiltration.

If you're interested there are mods that allow you to play any mission in that kind of way. I just wish they had given people the opportunity to play every mission in Subsistence mode.
>>
>>342891562

The thing is, the game should of been paced so that the challenge naturally increases (more guard variety, increased security camera, drones, greater risks for detection, bullet-proof Armour) the more ridiculous Mother Base became, but whether it was Konami's or Kojima's fault (I personally think it was a mix of both) the game got shafted hard instead and left "unfinished".

The end game right now is just people fighting ridiculously pimped-out FOBs disarming nukes for Chapter 3 (or for nothing at all).
>>
>>342891562
>honestly this is the players responsibility in many ways
dominant strategy. It is NOT the players fault. If there is a way to get to the goal of something the fastest or easiest, players are likely to try it. By abandoning a traditional structure, you can't set limits of weapons unless in a mission. At that point you have an open-world with no challenges and no goals. Self-imposed challenges are the players fault, as they are limiting what they can do.
>>
File: tumblr_nnzdh0Qw4r1s0got1o1_400.jpg (31 KB, 400x324) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnzdh0Qw4r1s0got1o1_400.jpg
31 KB, 400x324
>>342892883
I avoided using the word "fault" on purpose, and used the word "responsibility" instead, precisely because the player has a choice in the matter. It's not like the game forces you to chose a specific approach. Actually I think they went pretty far to make sure we had a variety of options to chose from.

Also I can't think of a single game where you can't eventually find and abuse some sort of weapon or mechanic in general that's very efficient at avoiding failure.

>>342892319
>The thing is, the game should of been paced so that the challenge naturally increases (more guard variety, increased security camera, drones, greater risks for detection, bullet-proof Armour)

but you do have that progression though, I don't understand what you meant
>>
>>342890179
Go for it, going with no expectation is the best way to play this
>>
>>342890179
Expect bad framerate and awful popin
>>
>>342886909
/v/ is always wrong.
>>
>>342886909
Can someone clear this up for me?
So "Ground Zeroes" and "Phantom Pain" are both called MGSV?

If that's true what the fuck is wrong with Kojima's numbering system.
>>
File: 1462345771553.gif (163 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1462345771553.gif
163 KB, 480x270
>>342891562
>Subsistance mode
Did they patch that into all the missions? Or is it still only a few?
>>
>>342897220
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V(enom)

Seems pretty simple to me
>>
>>342897591
V(enom)?

You don't even have TPP or GZ on your list, it's only simple to you because you've simplified it. Can someone else explain?
>>
>>342897220
Ground Zeros is a remake of what Portable Ops was going to be originally. Phantom Pain is a chapter in MGSV, the entirety of MGSV is yet to be released.
>>
>>342897704
MGSV is both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes is just the prologue for Phantom Pain that got ripped out to make more money for Konami
>>
>>342895236
>bad frame rate and popin

This is 65% of all PS3 games, I don't think he'll notice.
>>
>>342897591
You're not helping
>>
>>342897525
Well no they didn't, that's the thing.

But there are mods that let you apply subsistence-like settings to any mission.
>>
>>342898607
Couldn't you just go with no equipments or is there anything else to it
>>
MGS5 is a lot of fun if you've never played a MGS game.
>>
File: 1461481952201.jpg (82 KB, 588x720) Image search: [Google]
1461481952201.jpg
82 KB, 588x720
>>342898925
I think you can never remove 100% of your equipment in the game, maybe it's the secondary weapon that's not removable etc.
Subsistence is barebones as fuck, no special arm, no weapons, no buddies, no supply drops, etc. You can actually find silencers in some outposts that you can attach to certain weapons, but otherwise you've got nothing but your bare hands.

With the mod you can have more patrols all around, including helis, and activate some "hidden options" apparently. I guess the game uses settings on some missions that, by default, can't be modified by the player but the mod enables it.

I don't want to make it look like I'm shilling for this mod, I havent even installed it yet, but until a new game comes out I don't see how I'm going to make the PvE content worth playing again. Looks like you can even enable soldier item drops etc.

there are a bunch of mods on nexusmods and which can be used to take things in that kind of a direction.
>>
>>342899889
also I would like to apologize for using "etc" 3 times in my post

kind of typed it while doing other things so I lost track of that
>>
MGSV is pretty decent as a story but its gameplay is its weakest aspect.
>>
>>342900121
yeah you got that COMPLETELY backwards
>>
>>342900121
Huh
>>
File: 1460039022509.jpg (136 KB, 861x1024) Image search: [Google]
1460039022509.jpg
136 KB, 861x1024
>>342900331
Nah, you have a really solid story that has its pacing fucked by the gimpy open world/mission based design that wasnt even needed.

Its like the polar opposite of MGS4 on the shit spectrum. Where MGS4 had a decent story that over-explained itself at the cost of gameplaay, MGSV has a decent story that wont even let itself be told in full because of shitty gameplay that ate up so much time and resources.
>>
>>342886909
>"guys MGSV level design wasn't bad"
>posts GZ when it had Camp Omega which is universally agreed to be far better than anything in TPP

Great job, faggot.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1131x1600) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1131x1600
>>342886909
After spending five games walking through it i know Kamurocho like the palm of my hand

Pink Street best street
>>
>>342899889
offtopic but that pic ... it is a thing of beauty
>>
File: 1454993276927.jpg (13 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
1454993276927.jpg
13 KB, 235x235
>>342900651
>Not Champion District
>Not drinking with the trannies
Why would you even walk anywhere else if it's not on the way to the Mahjong Parlor
>>
>>342900916
>not spending hours trying to get the best seat to watch the strip show
>>
>>342900636
I wouldn't say I didn't like the story but I really don't see how the gameplay "hindered" (not quoting you) its development. Care to give any examples ?

Some story missions were somewhat superfluous and having to repeat certain missions was kind of bullshit, but between the missions and the cassette tapes, I thought the whole thing was something you could really dive into if you wanted to, or just stay away from most of the mission (especially the backstory about Zero and all that) and focus on the gameplay if you preferred.

I suppose many players played mgs 5 but not necessarily all of the other games.
>>
>>342891562
Subsistance mode is cool, too bad it's only available on 5 missions that aren't even particularly good for it.
>>
>>342902447
It affected the game more on a "backstage" kind of way, in-game it was just functional enough to deliver what it could.

I firmly believe that if there were no plans for base management, the open world was reduced to well-developed hubs, and things like the buddies were made into actual characters it would have been even more effective as a game and story.

I'm delving into preference now, but its clear to see that the game was left unfinished and we know exactly why. Too much time and resources was allocated to non-essentials, too much time was spent reinventing a wheel people had already gotten sick of, so we lose out on some significant content so far as the story went.
>>
>>342903178
> if things like the buddies were made into actual characters it would have been even more effective as a game and story.

Quiet was developped as a character (to the extent that you can develop a character that doesn't speak, but they had a whole host of things to go with that), even D-Dog had his little story, with you finding him without his mom and you see a bit of the beginning of his training, etc

The other buddies can't really be turned into characters, maybe you like horses but short of turning the game into a horse grooming simulator I'd be out of ideas. D-walker is a robot so that's that.

The base management aspects were very perfectible, although I loved being able to stroll around motherbase. It gave the whole game so much more meaning. That and having recruits that have a minimal identity, that you can send on missions and all that, was a good thing. If the interface had been better (not the same as on consoles), it would have been way better.

>I'm delving into preference now, but its clear to see that the game was left unfinished and we know exactly why. Too much time and resources was allocated to non-essentials

I think the gameplay was their biggest challenge actually. It's so different from all the other mgs games, they did have to reinvent something.

I'll delve into preference too : I thought the gameplay was actually brilliant, very smooth and really in tune with the type of games that MGS games are, whereas the old games would sometimes get in their own way in that respect. I mean I still don't understand how anyone can play MGS 3 (original version), shit's a nightmare. Subsistence is okay thanks to the camera controls.
>>
>>342897904
TY
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.