[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Sonic ever a good game or it's all just nostalgia f
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1385136139955.png (19 KB, 870x870) Image search: [Google]
1385136139955.png
19 KB, 870x870
Was Sonic ever a good game or it's all just nostalgia factor? Maybe the reason why modern Sonic games are bad is because games were bad from the beggining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw
>>
Go back to YouTube.
>>
Sonic has always been good. The worst periods of sonic were 1994-1998 (basically the sega saturn generation) and then later 2005-2007. Even then, those years had the sonic rush games and sonic riders which were all good.

Sonic being bad is simply a meme. Its a result of different nostalgia loaded autists preferring what they grew up with over what someone else grew up with, and shitting on them just for that. Right now the biggest tumor on the series is the classic autists who are hampering on everything else. Adventure, modern, boost, boom. They get butthurt at everything thats not 2D and holding down to roll as they get blindsided by shitty enemies and obstacles. Anything past the genesis.

A few shoddy games in a series thats been going for 25 years is to be expected. Why and when it became fun to hate on sonic the hedgehog, I'll never fully understand, even if someone goes through the same song and dance of explaining it. Because I completely disagree with the common opinion on where and when sonic went bad.

Sonic, ultimately, has been relatively hit or miss- in every generation. No one dares to remember (or perhaps just conveniently forgets) all those garbage master system, game gear, game.com, and saturn games. While then launching an internet crusade and changing the general opinion on games like adventure, heroes, or unleashed being some of the worst video games ever created, despite being blatantly false. Its bias, its autism, its memes, its something in the water. Something is just not fucking right at all with the general populaces opinion on sonic.
>>
>>342832349
>namefag
Who do you think you are?
>>
I never realized how cringy this video is until I actually paid attention to it now.

How can someone play Sonic without rolling? That's like playing DMC without doing combos, just mashing the sword slash and using the two pistols and nothing else.
>>
Sonic was always a flawed but fun game.
>>
>>342831378
Some are good but it's dumb to compare them directly to stuff like mario because the early sonic games are a different style of platformer. Mario is all about performing sequences of jumping challenges adequately whereas sonic is a more leisurely affair where you don't have to worry as much about timing your jumps or running into enemies because the punishment for failing isn't as severe, it's more about taking in the sights, exploring the stages, and of course going fast.

If that's not your cup of tea then that's fine but the games definitely aren't without their merits.

They definitely did shit the bed hard with the saturn though, the IP's been pretty consistently bad since then give or take a few exceptions here and there
>>
>>342834501
Pretty much this.

But what platformer from the 90s wasn't flawed but fun? Even Mega Man X had its share of bullshit here and there.
>>
>>342835258
Sonic is more that, no one really knows what the game is about because the core mechanics don't reinforce it's marketing gimmick, which is going fast.

>>342834809
This girl thinks it's about going fast but it's also about taking in the sights.
Already we have a contradiction there.

Same thing is seen in the gameplay.
The physics and level layout prompt you to go fast but enemy and hazard placement hamper that entirely.
>>
>>342835258
Mario World wasn't flawed at all
>>
The only good Sonic games are Advance 2, Rush and Rush Adventure, and Unleashed. Every other one has a major flaw that simply makes it unfun to play. Not to mention these are the only games that actually allow Sonic to go fast, adhering to the marketing used since 1991. Sonic is best when hes boosting at top speed and the level design encourages it.
>>
>>342835490
Yes, the "gotta go fast" thing is more of a marketing gimmick than the actual game being focused on going fast all the time. But unless you're playing Sonic 1, which is a slower game, the other two Genesis Sonic games give you plenty of opportunities to speed up by rolling and taking different paths if you time your jumps on the right terrain.

That doesn't mean there aren't poorly-designed stage in these games, Metropolis from Sonic 2 and Marble Garden from Sonic 3 are objectively shit stages with really bad enemy placement.
>>
>>342835541
>nintoddlers actually believe this

If a game has a power-up that allows you to easily fly over entire stages, that's obviously a game design flaw.
>>
Bumpu
>>
Crash Bandicoot > Sonic
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 942x706) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 942x706
>>342831378
>it's another youtube memespouting kiddo
>>
>>342838330
Sonic and Undertale have the most cancerous fan-communities. Is it coincidence?
>>
File: 1429461433946.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1429461433946.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>342835541
>Mario World wasn't flawed at all
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 450x600
>>342838552
>popular games have bad communities
Color me surprised.
>>
>>342831378
>sonic is not as bad as crash bandicoot
Opinions invalidated
>>
oh i know that meme, sonic was never le good amirite XD
>>
>>342831378
Sonic 2, CD and 3&K are all very good

the others are debatable
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.