[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have never played a Zelda game, but all the footage of BotW
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 17
File: neszelda.gif (131 KB, 640x582) Image search: [Google]
neszelda.gif
131 KB, 640x582
I have never played a Zelda game, but all the footage of BotW I have seen has me semi-hyped so I'd like to give some of the past games a whirl.

I thought I'd start from the beginning with the first NES games, but I am admittedly not used to the cryptic nature of old-school 'open world' action RPGs, or however you'd like to classify the first LoZ game.

Any tips/advice for a newbie?
>>
>>342791972

- Learn to navigate. Grab a map online or make your own map like people did in the 80s.
- Explore and use your bombs a lot. There's several hidden things you can find to make your life easier.
- Make sure to get the letter quickly as you can buy potions.

I actually can't think of many aside from that. It's old and it's tough for people not used to such games (even I get my ass kicked by teleporting Wizrobes and sometimes by Darknuts, to be honest). Still, if you can enjoy old games, it can be fun. If you really can't get into it, it's okay if you want to skip it.

Zelda II is very different from every other game in the series, so be aware of that. Don't judge the series too much until you get to ALTTP at least.
>>
>>342791972
i rather start with a link to the past or link awakening. those are the must play zeldas
>>
Read the manual.

I cannot stress this enough.

Read the manual.
>>
Be honest, /v/, did you use a guide when you first played Zelda 1?
>>
>>342794520
No.
>>
use a walkthrough lmao
>>
File: 393130-l.jpg (63 KB, 418x546) Image search: [Google]
393130-l.jpg
63 KB, 418x546
You don't need a guide, hot damn. I rage, whenever I see this.

If you can't find lv 7, which SPOILERS, iS THE CLOSEST FREAKING DUNGEON TO WHERE YOU START OFF THE GAME; or put together that *grumble*grumble* means something is hungry.

YOU ARE A MILLENIAL BABY CASUAL WHO SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.
>>
>>342791972
You're going to get very very frustrated with Ocarina of Time
Bombs and the candle are your friends especially in the overworld

>>342794520
I can't remember, I was 10
I think I used a guide half way through, honestly who would even know to look for silver arrows
>>
Use a guide
>but muh original experience!
That WAS the original experience. The game came with a map, and the game was pretty much designed around the Nintendopower Magazine and the Nintendo Hotline. One of the first (or last, can't remember now) things it had was the Nintendo Help Hotline number telling you to call that for help if you ever got stuck. My parents had to tell me no multiple times.

Don't ruin it with a complete guide though, get the original manual as a pdf or something and only resort to a guide if you get totally stuck. A lot of stuff is available at the very start of the game for you, but you'd never find it on your own in 99% of cases.
>>
>>342791972
That waterfall is flowing upwards
>>
>>342791972
Start with LTTP or OOT, the definitive games. Every game in this series is the same formula, no need to start at that dated old shit.
>>
>>342791972
>but I am admittedly not used to the cryptic nature of old-school 'open world' action RPGs, or however you'd like to classify the first LoZ game.
Be hype once you beat it, the sequel is way better.
>>
>>342791972

The world in the first Zelda isn't that big. It seems huge, but really, even if you went around bombing every single spot and throwing fire on every bush, it wouldn't take very long. And for the record, that's exactly what we did as kids.

Aside from this, the guide that came with the game told you how to do everything up to level 2. And gave you tons of hints of needing a candle, bow and etc. Basically, just go everywhere you can and do everything you can.

If you really can't do it, then just follow a guide like this one. But then, if you do that, you aren't really playing the game, are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tbok07gzs8
>>
Start with a A Link to the Past.

The thing is a fucking masterpiece, and has only gotten better with age. Super Nintendo was a phenominal system overall, as well.
>>
>>342800917
>and has only gotten better with age.
Lets not go nuts.
>>
>>342800743
As much as I like later games for doing something unique in one fashion or another, this anon is right.

Link to the Past is definitive 2d Zelda.

Ocarina of Time would bring the formula to 3D, so worth a play.

HONORABLE MENTIONS(more so the most different games)
Zelda 2: Those most different as is a side scrolling action rpg. Pretty fun imo.

Skyward Sword: Approach with caution, it's a different game from most Zeldas. It's gimmicky, but there's things you may like.
>>
>>342791972
Know that the first two games are very different from the rest.
The original gives nearly no tips, and if it does, they're very cryptic.
The second is from a different perspective than every other game.
>>
>>342800917

Sometimes I feel like I was the only kid who prefered Zelda 1 over Link to the Past. LttP is still a great game, but I found a lot of things annoying. The limited range of the boomerang, the way Link slashes his sword in a pathetic arc, the dual world seemingly made the game twice as big but instead it really made the game more linear, etc.
>>
>>342801481
you literally are though
>>
>>342791972
just play Wind Waker HD, it's the only great one
>>
>>342801645
While I like Wind Waker, I have to disagree.
>>
>>342799579
LoZ predates Nintendo Power by 2 (two) years dummy.
>>
>>342801481
You forgot the near complete lack of difficulty.
>>
>>342791972
Use bombs to kill every tenth enemy. Best advice I ever got. Guaranteed four bombs.
>>
File: z1over.gif (527 KB, 1578x608) Image search: [Google]
z1over.gif
527 KB, 1578x608
>>342791972
I'd recommend just exploring, don't even use a map or a guide unless you can't find any new dungeons.
>>
>>342801760
Fine, but it's the only one that will forever stand the test of time (which is ironic, considering the theme of this series).

Pretty much all the others were great when they came out, but playing them today is a bit of a chore and not worth the hassle overall.
>>
>>342802043
Really? That's cool. Honestly reminds me how in CV and CVIII if you use a subweapon ten times on enemies you start to get multipliers more often.

You lads who like Classicvanias you have now learned something new. Great for grinding holy waters, or rather; game breakers.
>>
>>342802250

>but playing them today is a bit of a chore and not worth the hassle overall.

Aside from a few, I really can't agree.
>>
>>342802348
in the first game it also multiplied your points for each enemy killed with the same sub-weapon throw. you could rack up extra lives easily with the holy water and the cross like that
>>
>>342802250
ALttP and LA are both very simple, sturdy games with no downtime between dungeons. I like WW, but its biggest flaw is the massive amount of downtime it has.

Also it's easy as balls.
>>
>>342791972
I think you should start with Minish Cap
It's a great game and it's way easier than the first one
>>
>>342802250
WW hub world aside(which is nice to explore, especially with swift sail thank god), game's main story felt short and very formularic to me. Not the main focus really, but still it felt kinda lazy to me.
>>
>>342802480

>Also it's easy as balls.

You just described the majority of the series.
>>
>>342802591
Indeed, however TP and WW are both significantly easier than most other Zelda games.
>>
These are the type of games that are meant to be played with kids wasting their parents money to call Nintentdo for tips, or buy nintendo magazines with guides

There's no point in playing this game without a guide, it's a waste of life
>>
>>342791972
The first 2 Zeldas are my favorite by far. Think of it like a jrpg. Farm some dungeons, buy some stuff, collect some hearts.. I can't say much without spoiling stuff. The first one you could beat in like 3-6 hours or so easy.. if you find the areas and what. The second one will take you longer because it has more content and it is harder. I prefer 2.. it is so damn fun. They are both good though.
>>
>>342802793
glad you could share your expertise in the field of being a waste of life
>>
Keep in mind the game becomes a pixel hunt pretty quickly, so unless you're planning on farming bombs and rupees it might be smarter to look up bombable walls, the areas they're generally in are apparent that something there is either movable, burnable, or bombable, but then it becomes you having to bomb every tile of wall for example and it stops being fun very quickly.

Dungeons are also a pain in the ass around 4 or 5, and especially later on. Everything starts dealing 2-4 hearts a hit even with the rings and you end up having to search for bombable walls in the dungeons as well, it just gets tedious as hell.
>>
>one half decent new game literally encouraging people who never gave a shit about the series into playing the old games

I fucking hate Nintendo, this was supposed to be their deathbed.
>>
Start with Ocarina of Time.. it's a great example of what Zelda is about.

Or if you really wanna start with the earlier games, start with Link to the Past.

So NOT start with LoZ. It'll just piss you off.
>>
>>342802737

Definitely. WW is one of my favorites, but it really is one of the easier ones. TP though... I don't think even Ganondorf can do more than a quarter heart of damage, and that's just pathetic. The hardest part is the start when you only have three hearts and you run into those Twilight guys who can knock off a heart at a time.
>>
>>342801645
What the fuck kind of opinion is this?
>>
>>342803279
It's the only one he likes, anon.
>>
>>342803449
Well thats fine, but its still terrible advice.
>>
playing Link's Awakening, any advice for someone unused to the old games?
>>
>>342803603
Yes, the boomerang is amazing in the 2D games. Stun then hit.
Dont be stingy with keys, you can always find more.
>>
File: letgo.jpg (42 KB, 546x432) Image search: [Google]
letgo.jpg
42 KB, 546x432
>>342803279
Played all main Zelda games except Skyward Sword (because the art style and motion controls didn't appeal to me), and Wind Waker is the only one I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.

As for the others, they always start off really good but slowly get more boring as you progress. The 2D ones get repetitive as fuck (though I liked Oracle of Ages), and the other 3D ones focus too much on story and other pointless filler.
>>
>>342803603
Link's Awakening...great handheld Zelda. Just talk to everyone, it's actually kind of required to talk to a good number of people.

Exploring the map isn't a chore either, since it's compact and fairly easy to navigate.

The dungeons are amazing btw. I love them.
>>
>>342803754
WW probably get a free pass if you like sailing (and there is basically no competition against other games if this is your niche) or the art style. Otherwise its one of the most guilty of what you accuse, its one of the most boring games in the series). The dungeons and pacing are terrible.
>>
LoZ is a GREAT game, but it also happens to be one of the most difficult in the series.

The game was made to be played one day at a time, discussing secrets with your friends on the playground and drawing your own maps.

You literally cannot capture this main element in 2016. Read the manual, play the game, and consult a guide if you get stuck.

then continue in chronological order, starting with Zelda 2 (which will blow your balls off)
>>
>>342797113
>You don't need a guide, hot damn. I rage, whenever I see this.
So you rage about not needing a guide, and you prove this by showing a guide?

If you don't need a guide, then you can logically figure out how to find everything on your own. There is a thought process required, and everything can be explained.

So tell me, please. How do you logically find Level 9?
>>
>>342801645
it's an uglier version of one of the worst entries in the series (only surpassed by Skyward Sword and PH/ST)
>>
>>342803742
The boomerang can one shot the final boss

Also buy from the shop, anon. And stealing isn't bad if you don't care about your character's name. You THIEF
>>
>>342804008
you are given a clue about spectacle rock from the old man, and DESU if you've bombed a single wall you would try everything that looks suspicious like that
>>
>>342803086
Just accept that Nintendo won.
>>
>>342792447
>Grab a map online or make your own map like people did in the 80s
Man I kind of miss this shit. I mean I don't wish we'd go back but I value the experience anyway. I had a neighbor/friend of our family who played video games. He kept binders full of maps and other things like the Mario 3 card flip tables he'd written down. He and his kids by extension were super popular with all of us kids in the neighborhood because of it. Good times.
>>
>>342801045
Are you implying it got worse?
>>342791972
For The classic formula I'd suggest Loz 1 or Links Awakining
For the Classic linear formula, Link to the past or a link between worlds, oracle of seasons/ages is nice too
Then there's the 3d zeldas, I never really liked these, but if you want to play 3d, windwaker has nice visuals I find Ocarina of Time irritating and linear but some people like it
>>
>>342794520

I used a let's play video as a guide.
>>
File: Amy-whut-1[1].gif (322 KB, 357x236) Image search: [Google]
Amy-whut-1[1].gif
322 KB, 357x236
>>342791972
>action rpg
>>
>>342803086
It's sad that another person's enjoyment of something upsets you so much.
>>
File: xbcfv.png (349 KB, 506x530) Image search: [Google]
xbcfv.png
349 KB, 506x530
>>342804175
What is spectacle rock?

Where is spectacle rock?
>>
>>342797113
Millenials would have played LoZ pre-LttP in their childhoods though.
>>
File: zelda-l8-entrancetodeath.png (2 KB, 256x168) Image search: [Google]
zelda-l8-entrancetodeath.png
2 KB, 256x168
>>342804175
>you are given a clue about spectacle rock from the old man
Look at this picture and tell me if this clue makes any fucking sense to someone playing this game for the first time in their lives.

>if you've bombed a single wall you would try everything that looks suspicious like that
First of all, why would you bomb a wall? The only thing indicating that you can do that is the manual, which the game encourages you to read so I won't criticize it for it. But even if you did, you have no idea if the wall is bombable until you bomb it. It can be easy in dungeons if you have the map and there's a room that looks impossible to get to, but in the overworld there is LITERALLY no indication that anything can even possibly be bombable. Look suspicious? Look up Spectacle Rock. Wanna know what it looks like?

two normal rocks

There's hand-holding, and then there's being overly obtuse. You need an outside source to know where you're going, and that's a terrible thing to do.

Also put this into perspective of a kid in the 80's who can't afford Nintendo Power and has no friends that are interested in Nintendo. This was even back in a time where games having an ending was a fairly new thing, and some Nintendo games didn't have an ending. It's possible they just thought the game was over after completing the Triforce. It's not exactly out of the question.
>>
>>342803935
You do have a point there, I guess the game was just too comfy for me to realize.

But for me at least, the thing Zelda games do best is the atmosphere, music and sense of exploration, so I didn't mind the lack of difficulty at all. I thought the gameplay was fun regardless and there were no annoying parts, so my enjoyment of it never stopped.
>>
>>342804812
>>342804573
literally a baby asking to be handholded.
>>
>>342804957
Hey, I have a puzzle for you.
>>
>>342804812
Is that quote any less vague in its proper language?
>>
>>342802480
>ike WW, but its biggest flaw is the massive amount of downtime it has.

I bet you hate Majora's Mask, then.
>>
>>342791972
Don't play any of them. This way you can judge the game when I comes out from a better point of view. The average Zelda fan is going to find one thing to nitpick over and make it a meme. The game will then be ruined by the autists that only play Nintendo games. Then kids that's missed by 2 years will call it a hidden gem because no one plays Nintendo games the way they used to. Finally, it's a whole new cycle of "new Zelda when???"
>>
>>342805018
Apparently in the Japanese version, the old man says
>“Look for the arrows in Death Mountain.”

Which is actually a useful hint, since the game otherwise gives no indication that arrows are there or are Ganon's weakness.

But another hint in the Japanese version, in another part of the game, he says basically the same thing.
>"Glasses rock is the entrance to death."
>>
>>342803086
>I fucking hate Nintendo, this was supposed to be their deathbed.

WAAAAH!! WHY HASNT THIS COMPANY I HATE DIED YET?? :'(
>>
File: 7934867274_ef8fdcf167_k.jpg (2 MB, 1459x2048) Image search: [Google]
7934867274_ef8fdcf167_k.jpg
2 MB, 1459x2048
>>342804008
There are several tip-offs:

1. There is a giant arrow that points left as you trek through Death Mountain. Any player that sees it should wonder why this conspicuous landmark exists. Yes, there's a shop at the end, but there's nothing of value there, and the screen before it had two giant conspicuous boulders unlike any in the game.

2. Lynels. Lynels only hang around dungeons. But the player has never encountered a dungeon anywhere near Death Mountain.

3. The instruction manual tells you Level 9 is hidden on Death Mountain. *smacks anon with two fingers upside the head* I only said you didn't need a guide, not to not read the manual or story.

Naturally, bombs are the only means of finding secrets in an area surrounded purely by rock, and by that point in the game you are well-trained to search for flat walls 3 pixels or more wide.

The fact you aren't given any other hints, is a hint in itself, that there is no magic involved in finding it.
>>
>>342802793
>>342803950
>>342804282
Funny how Dark Souls, a game that's virtually a spiritual successor to classic LoZ, attempts a modernized version of this sort of thing.
>>
File: miles-shrug(d).gif (92 KB, 266x192) Image search: [Google]
miles-shrug(d).gif
92 KB, 266x192
>>342803086
Eat shit
>>
>>342805160
I've never played it.
>>
>>342805013
go ahead, I am so excited for an exaggerated butthurt example
>>
File: Spectacle-Rock.png (2 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle-Rock.png
2 KB, 256x224
>>342804812
it's fucking called spectacle rock you imbecile

What the fuck are spectacles? Glasses. What do glasses look like in the most simple terms? Two circles. This isn't fucking rocket science man
>>
If you don't mind the technical limitations and increased difficulty of the NES games, I'd say play them in release order. But if either of those things seems like they would dissuade you from continuing with the series, I think the ideal order is probably:
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, Oracle of Seasons (or Ages), Oracle of Ages (or Seasons), Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures, The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, and A Link Between Worlds.
Ocarina of Time gives you the basics of what a 3-D Zelda game is, and it gives you the basic mythology of the series. Plus more games in the series reference OoT and its characters than probably any other game in the series. Majora's Mask is its direct sequel, so play that next, and then The Wind Waker is its indirect sequel, which basically finishes out the story that OoT started. From there, try A Link to the Past which gives you the basics of what a 2-D Zelda game is. Then play its direct sequel, Link's Awakening. It's also good to go ahead and play LA early on because you want to play it before most other 2-D games because of its technological limitations. It may feel like a step back if you play LA after other 2-D handheld games. Then play the rest of the games in release order. If you can't find a game, like if you have trouble finding Four Swords, you don't have to wait until you play this game to keep going with the series. You can just continue on with the next one that you find available.
>>
>>342805508
No need for name-calling.

Keep it civil.
>>
>>342805334

Well it's basically Side Quests: The Game.

The dungeons seem like the side thing in this game.
>>
>>342805508
Its called SPECTACLE rock not spectacles rock. A spectacle is something grand, and spectaclr rock is literally a fucking rock.

Im not saying its inpossible to find, i personLly bombed the shit out of everything i saw, but you cant expect some low attention span retard to find out where SR is.
>>
>>342805984
WW has a vastly different definition of down time compared to MM. MM keeps you busy. WW has long stretches of rest.
>>
>>342805286
>1. There is a giant arrow that points left as you trek through Death Mountain. Any player that sees it should wonder why this conspicuous landmark exists. Yes, there's a shop at the end, but there's nothing of value there, and the screen before it had two giant conspicuous boulders unlike any in the game.
Unless you go "up, up, up the mountain", the arrow only points back where you came, while all other paths just loop the screen again. The arrow indicates "This is a dead-end, go back".

>2. Lynels. Lynels only hang around dungeons. But the player has never encountered a dungeon anywhere near Death Mountain.
I love it when people try to talk about how the game teaches you when they don't pay attention to the game itself. The first Lynel you encounter is guarding the White Sword, there's a group of Lynels between the Lost Woods and Graveyard (SEVERAL screens away from a dungeon), and there's a whole bunch of Lynels screens away from the final dungeon, around the top-left corner of the map. So yeah, not a fucking clue.

>3. The instruction manual tells you Level 9 is hidden on Death Mountain. *smacks anon with two fingers upside the head* I only said you didn't need a guide, not to not read the manual or story.
What's Death Mountain?

>Naturally, bombs are the only means of finding secrets in an area surrounded purely by rock, and by that point in the game you are well-trained to search for flat walls 3 pixels or more wide.
The sprites are identical to all of the other sprites. Look at every single bombable wall in the game, and you'll find absolutely no difference.

Methinks you either used a guide and don't want to admit it, you got help from someone else, or you just resorted to guessing. None of these things should be required.
>>
>>342806330
you seem to be trying to impress us with how inept you actually are.
>>
>>342805407
Oh, I'm not going to tell you what the puzzle is. Or how to solve it, or what you can possibly do about it. But there IS a puzzle.
>>
>>342797113
>>342804175
>>342804957
>>342805407
>>342805508
>>342806467
Please ignore the angry neckbeard

Thank you
>>
>>342806330
I never said Lynels were right next-door to a dungeon. They're nearby, which is enough. Death Mountain has only one dungeon.

Even that should tip you off that there's something there you haven't found don't you think?
>>
>>342806604
as expected, false equivalence and melodramatic exaggeration.
>>
>>342806927
What about the one by the White Sword, or the one between the Lost Woods and Graveyard? Even if this were true, I REALLY don't think anybody could ever come to this conclusion, especially with how far away they actually are from the dungeons. To call this a hint is REALLY far-fetched.
>>
>>342791972
I was alive at the time Zelda was new.

Old-school cryptic type games were designed for us kids to spend hours upon hours trying to figure stuff out. No internet, no easy to find strategy guides (they were around for some games but you had to pay for em) ....

Just you, your friends, word of mouth about tricks and tips, and a whooooole lot of trial and error.
>>
>>342807102
>literally a baby asking to be handholded.
>>
>>342807159
They are literally one screen away as I recall. They surround the shop. I think you're thinking of the other side of Death Mountain with the maze. That's not the same.
>>
>>342807232
you typed out your two answers ahead of time and STILL couldn't get it right

how asshurt do you have to be?
>>
>>342804812
Playing this for the first time and I managed to find it before I've even found level 2 (which I have still yet to find). Sorry some of us have played a video game before.
>>
File: 1464857191097.png (23 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1464857191097.png
23 KB, 1024x576
Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are must-plays
The first Zelda game isn't even good, it's literally just one of the best NES titles. You don't need to start there desu
>>
>>342807318
They're not one screen. Starting from the screen with the White Sword Lynel, you go down to the waterfall, then right to the mountain. You go "up, up, up" the mountain five times to get to the dungeon.

That's technically three screens away, but it takes seven transitions.

The ones between the Lost Woods and Graveyard are nowhere NEAR a dungeon. The dungeon is just outside of the graveyard, but that's basically a whole area between them.
>>
File: 1464856481790.png (487 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1464856481790.png
487 KB, 1920x1080
>>342807740
why the fuck is there a "desu" at the end of my post
>>
>>342807740
>Ocarina of Time is a must play
>The first Legend of Zelda isn't even good
Jesus Christ /v/ you're too much sometimes.
>>
>>342807828
It's 4chan's filter for words like "t b h" and "f a m" (which translates to "senpai"). Nice images btw.
>>
>>342799579
I got through all the game fine except for the final dungeon. When I came across the first two staircases it quickly became clear what a clusterfuck of terrible and autistic level design I was dealing with so I said fuck it and used a guide.
>>
File: 1464851088424.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1464851088424.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>342807868
OoT is hands-down the best Zelda title, not to mention the fact that it had a big part in setting the bar for 3D RPG games
>>342807892
makes sense, and thanks
>>
>>342797113
I played and beat both Zelda's on the NES when I was five..
>>
>>342807828
>why the fuck is there a "desu" at the end of my post

Welcome to 4chan. Hope you like your stay.
>>
>>342808813
Please, I've been here for years. If you had been too, you'd know that you could type fucking "t b h " without it getting censored. Roody-Poo
>>
I'm the biggest Zelda fanboy I know. Skip Zelda 1 and 2. Start at Link to the past and play every game in order since then.

1 is cryptic, and was designed that way so kids would spend tons of times playing it, as well as to sell their guides.

2 is a weird side scroller that is also cryptic, and isn't in the style of any other Zelda games.

Everything else you should play.

Best games are almost always quoted as a mix up of Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Link's Awakening.

1 and 2 will just frustrate you and turn you off the series.
>>
>>342808935
>If you had been too, you'd know that you could type fucking "t b h " without it getting censored.

The filter has been literally there for at least 6 months.

You're either new or you're old but havent posted in a long time. No denying it.
>>
>>342809132
truth
also windwaker is phenomenal
>>
>>342808291
I hate how you can't do anything until you get out of the hour long tutorial level
Also the giant unskippable unavoidable text
The controls weren't great either, I could never get z targeting to work and it's incredibly difficult without it

I've only made it into dodingos cavern and I keep trying to play this game hoping at some point it will turn into the masterpiece everyone says it is but it hasn't yet, please tell me this game gets better
>>
>>342809449
yeah, I just haven't posted in a while. or more so it's the fact that I haven't tried typing " t b h " until that post within the timeframe of the filter being added
>>
>>342809986
sounds like you need to be more mindful of your character's positioning as you play. that can effect your camera angle during z-targetting. you might enjoy windwaker more

it's hard to say the game gets "better" besides the fact that it's in two phases. the first three dungeons are one phase and then you play the rest of the game in the second phase and i suppose you could classify the second phase as "better"
>>
>>342801332
zelda 2 is also the hardest fucking game in the franchise. should mention that
>>
>>342804175
i found it because I confused the place with the similar rock that gives you a heart container
>>
>>342804654
this. I've owned a super nintendo and NES since birth, since it was my older brother's first. but he didn't have alttp. so i grew up with zelda 1 and 2. since i never played alttp until years and years later once things like TP were already out, it wasn't as influential. zelda 1 and 2 for life, dude. i am for one, a fan of the long dead days of "nintendo-hard." when beating the games was fucking impossible. love kid icarus and metroidvania type games.
>>
>>342810742
its more boring than hard also death mountain is kill in that game desu
>>
>>342791972
1. Git Gud (No seriously git gud this game is hard until you get the blue ring)
2. Blue Darknuts are your worst enemy kill them with bombs or sword lasers
>>
>>342805286
don't mistake your knowledge in hindsight for simple deductions that anyone can make. nobody is ever going to like you if you treat them like theyre stupid for not understanding something intentionally cryptic. you also can't keep on saying "they shouldnt have to use the guide!" and then the reason be that the info is in the guide, so they should know it. makes zero sense.
>>
>>342805508
except that they only tell you that in the guide, and you're trying to argue that people shouldnt need the guide. do you even make sense to yourself?
>>
>>342809132
>Everything else you should play.
I take it this includes
>Skyward Sword
>Spirit Tracks
>Phantom Hourglass
>Wand of Gamelon
>Faces of Evil
>Zelda's Adventure
>>
>>342811163
it being hard is pretty much universally accepted. it being boring is far more subjective. why was this reply necessary?
>>
File: rage.png (34 KB, 690x656) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
34 KB, 690x656
>>342804313
>>342809485
>>342810591
>windwaker
STOP
FUCKING
DOING
THIS
>>
>>342791972
>how do i play game
just play the game
>>
>decided to try out OOT after hearing so much praise about it
>silky smooth 15 fps
>muddy ugly artstyle
>everyone looks like a cardboard cutout
>clunky combat and movement
Am I mssing somrthing?
>>
>>342812432
>Am I mssing somrthing?

You're not playing the 3DS version.
>>
>>342794520
I never used a guide and had a blast discovering it on my own. That said, I didnt actually beat the game completely until maybe 10 years later when we had internet.
>>
>>342812690
>playing vidya on a tiny ass phone screen
Ew
>>
The first LoZ is kind of a pain to play due to how primitive it is. Can't be helped, though. I mean, it was originally a Famicom Disk Drive game.
>>
>>342812690
>You have to play the games remake to get any enjoyment out of it

Why???

Also the 3DS's screen looks like garbage
>>
>>342812432
You didn't play it when it came out
>>
>>342812892

The XL screen is big enough.

>>342813146

Well, you (or that other anon) is complaining about everyone looking like a cardboard cutout, being 15fps and having clucky combat and movement.. The 3DS version fixes most of that.

Also, get an IPS screen. Only the TN screens look bad.
>>
>>342813623
(not the other anon)
I also hate the linearity and the irritating elements 3d adds
plus a lot of other dumb things that could have easily have been fixed
>>
>>342812432
>Am I mssing somrthing?
Yeah, your sense of adventure and wonderment.
>>
>>342814447
No, no,
I had that in zelda 1-3 as well as the gameboy games

There's just not much to explore
>>
File: 1407473374322.png (3 MB, 1462x1045) Image search: [Google]
1407473374322.png
3 MB, 1462x1045
It's crazy how many people on /v/ haven't played any Zelda games.

Is this a sign of the times? Are most people playing video games now underage or Facebook-goers who only buy the most advertised thing? The types who don't see any problems with the 7th and 8th gens of consoles?

Just a scant few years ago /v/ had Zelda threads all the time. We had actually civil Wind Waker threads almost every day. Now one of those threads would be shitposted to absolute death. I want to go back.
>>
>>342814916
You can almost go anywhere after the first dungeon, and the second half of the game is non-linear. You can find a lot of nooks and crannies in the world if you intent to collect everything
>>
>>342791972
>the cryptic nature of old-school 'open world' action RPGs

Holy shit kid. Anyway, LoZ is a pretty tough game and even worse if you're making it your entry point. One of the few games I won't fault you for using a guide on, if only to get your dungeon location and order straight because a few of them are a bitch to find. Though, I'd recommend you start with aLttP instead, but that's just me shoehorning my favorite.
>>
>>342803086
Nintendo has finally realized that the original Zelda is the game they need to draw inspiration from, not Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.

The original game is what made the series a phenomenon, and Zelda can only become a phenomenon again by taking a similar approach to the original game. Look at E3, Zelda caused a stampede. That hasn't happened since the Wii at E3 2006. There were 170 screens for Zelda and people waited in line for FOUR HOURS to get a chance to play it.

It's about damn time Nintendo had some sense knocked into it regarding the Zelda series.
>>
>>342794520
I was like 5 years old I didn't know guides existed
>>
>>342815164
It's a giant field and two towns, nothing interesting in either of them
>>342815376
THIS.
>>
>>342815164
>You can almost go anywhere after the first dungeon

You can go anywhere in the original game barring two screens upon starting a new game in Zelda 1.
>>
>>342815103
shut up you stupid nigger
>>
>>342815487
Come on dude, there's at least a bit more to it than what you're giving it credit for.
>a forest
>a desert
>a canyon
>a lake
>a field
>a town
>a village
>a crypt
>a (climbable)
>inside of a volcano
>a river
>a waterfall cave
>a farm
>a big field
>>
>>342815709
*climbable mountain
>>
>>342793394

fucking this.

http://legendsoflocalization.com/media/the-legend-of-zelda/manuals/ZeldaNESManual.pdf
>>
>>342815709
There's nothing to do in any of those

Why even bother
>>
>>342815679
You can't make me.
>>
>>342791972
Yeah, don't skip Link's Awakening, the Oracle games (they're both different), or Minish Cap.
>>
>>342797113
I was born in '93 and *grumble grumble* to me means someone is grumbling about something they're unhappy about.
>>
>>342815862
>X game only has loot/money/items hidden all over the place, why even bother
Like the other anon said, you do have to have a sense of adventure to enjoy them. If you're really that starved over finding interesting things, enable rumble and get the stone of agony. There's a bunch of unique caves hidden all over the place that most players never even found.
>>
>>342815862
What counts as "something to do"?
Zelda has plenty of things to do. You can talk to people, find treasures, fight enemies, do puzzles, play minigames, etc. What more do you want? How the hell is that not better than the first game?

Do you hold this standard to other video games as well?
>>
>>342797113
The creator of Zelda all but admitted the game was designed to require a guide.
>>
>>342815103

There are a lot of underages, and young adults who never played them. It's definitely a sign of the times. May as well encourage those that want to play Zelda though rather than lament the fact that it's not the 90s anymore (much as I understand the desire to do that).

>Just a scant few years ago /v/ had Zelda threads all the time.

Huh, true. I didn't realize how much less frequent they'd gotten.

>We had actually civil Wind Waker threads almost every day

I mostly remember sexual pictures of shota Link being spammed starting just before SS.
>>
File: BIG DUMB IDIOT.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
BIG DUMB IDIOT.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>342816448
>talk to people
Exciting
>Find treasures
Exactly what treasures are you talking about
>fight enemies
pointless
>puzzles
they're a joke in this game
>minigames
oh boy I hope I can play some fishing in an action adventure game
Hmm fishing that reminds me of something
>>
>>342817621
Please tell me what counts as "something to do".
>>
>>342818063
stop feeding it
>>
>>342818063
Actually exploring a huge detailed area and being able to access items and weapons if you're skilled enough as soon as the game starts

Not holding forward across an empty field and maybe you'll find a heart piece after playing a tedious minigame
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.