[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /v/ recommend Pathologic? Thinking about picking it up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
Does /v/ recommend Pathologic? Thinking about picking it up
>>
Shitty We Happy Few ripoff
>>
>>341668893
>We Happy Few

that trailer is what sorta pointed me towards this game
>>
File: Wallpaper2 Pathologic 1280x1024.jpg (765 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Wallpaper2 Pathologic 1280x1024.jpg
765 KB, 1280x1024
>Art does not degenerate; it changes. Art is like a wandering soul, moving from old bodies, to young ones. It finds new forms and transforms them according to its own laws. Creative activity emerges from the realm of pure pragmatism, technology, entertainment or services, making a quality leap, and acquires the ability to give shape to phenomena, which had before seemed inexpressible. It wasn't too long ago that cinematography made this leap. Now it is the turn for the computer game to make the same leap. Its new shape must take its place at the junction where the game meets mystery. We call this new shape "the deep game."

>The deep game possesses the ability to bring out of the gamer what Aristotle called catharsis, which is the purification of emotion through the evocation of pity and fear. This phenomenon is characterized by a powerfully emotional explosion and a psychological shock, caused by the experience of new truths and touching upon hidden aspects of reality. Its result, a person's moral regeneration. Neither passion nor any narcotic high can be compared to that feeling. Achieving this is difficult, but we believe that sooner or later, it will happen. The game will gain the features and status as that of something sacred. The people will approach the game as an event that will forever change their lives. We believe that we will succeed in making this so.
>>
File: midages_plague_en_s.jpg (1 MB, 2000x781) Image search: [Google]
midages_plague_en_s.jpg
1 MB, 2000x781
>We want to not only apply ourselves to this process, but also shape a deep game into a complete art form. We want to extend the boundaries of art and create several masterpieces in this area. We want to develop an internal standard of a new genre, wealth, and hidden possibilities, that is difficult to imagine. The combination of the traditional form of computer games and a new problematic content creates an entirely new art form which will take its place next to the theatre, the cinema, literature, music, painting, and architecture.

>We focus our game on the elite. These games are for the chosen ones. The deep game calls for complete immersion, concentration, and attention. The depth of these games, like many brilliant films, books, and plays, will have multiple levels, which will make the games enjoyable to great masses of gamers. We create games that will appeal to many different eyes.
>>
>>341669494
>>341669842
I assume this is in-game text?
>>
File: Wallpaper1 Pathologic 1280x1024.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Wallpaper1 Pathologic 1280x1024.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1024
>We suddenly change our focus. We deliberately refuse to create a comfortable environment for the gamer. The addressee is not the consumer. He is the coauthor. Passing the deep game is a creative process. We write atypical and problematic scenarios, adding a polysemantic visual range and moving music. We only allow talented, inspired professionals, looking for new forms and new boundaries in the traditional forms of creativity, to work on the game. We put an emphasis on shock. On the extraordinary, on the untraditional, on experimenting, but most importantly, on the consistency in carrying out these experiments.
>>
File: art_002.jpg (553 KB, 800x540) Image search: [Google]
art_002.jpg
553 KB, 800x540
>The game “Pathologic” was created to give a new view of the battle between man and evil. The Evil in this game is real. It seems we have succeeded in depicting its true form and insert it into the game mechanics. Such games are dangerous and this is our official preliminary warning. The world of the game is a stone town on the border. Every house, every tiny fragment of the town resembles its prototype. If we throw out the useless pathetic, we’ll have a town that’s not been invented, it’s been rebuilt. Every day we have more and more things that are in their right place. After some work with live actors, there are 27 characters in “Pathologic.” The players will be able to see photos of real people in the game, a part of which is concealed behind the masks of 3D dolls. Every courtyard of the game lives its own inner life. Often random factors and planned events occur independently from where the player is what his state is. It can be different, however. The primary task in the game is survival. The game allows the player to choose his personal strategy for survival – whatever you like. Chaos, marauding, communication, sleep, speculation, fighting or other… The freedom is restricted only by the abilities of the person and his will, as it is in life. Each of the characters lives the 12 days in his own personal way and will unveil the story only from one side. Each will see the same things, but will come to his own conclusions. The essence of the game is a trap. Every one of the possible finals could be either victory or defeat.
>>
How weird.
I bookmarked the Pathologic Wiki to remind myself to download it years ago.
Just a few hours ago I was going through my bookmarks and filtering out the ones I didn't need, and i came across this.
I told myself I'll download it soon, but I guess it's a sign i should download it asap.
>>
>>341670653
Think I'll join ya, anon
>>
the game's narrative is obnoxiously complex and characters are convoluted for no reason. don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but it's WAY more simple than the devs gave themselves credit for.

the gameplay is incredibly simple, and the narrative is easy to follow, but just presented in a really awkward and confusing way.

i highly doubt most people will play through bachelor/haruspex and wanna jump back in for more on another character, but it's still worth it because there really isn't any other game like it out there and your 1st playthrough will last 25-30 hours.
>>
It's one of the few games I'd say are genuinely worth putting in a museum, it's a wonderful example of what can be done with the medium, not just through story or writing, but through gameplay and how it reinforces it themes.

It's a REALLY rough gem of a game though, don't expect even the HD remaster to be perfect or anything. I'm so glad they're remaking it from the ground up while not abandoning the original though. The HD remaster was exactly what it needed, both versions can live side by side equally. I'm pumped as hell for the remake.
>>
Pathologic is a deeply flawed "old" game- bordering on unplayable without a walkthrough. It's quests are confusing, many things that cannot be translated, and the gameplay features are very different from in-game explanations.

If you can forgive all that though, the story and atmosphere are flawless- the developers want you to FEEL suffering, pain, exhaustion, depression, fear, revulsion, etc. and the system generally produces that. It makes you question all other games and its full of ideas to think back to after you've put down the "game".
>>
How is the remake coming along? I backed it during the kickstarter, have there been anymore news? Anything at E3?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.