[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it worry anyone else about the praise and interest the new
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (412 KB, 800x385) Image search: [Google]
image.png
412 KB, 800x385
Does it worry anyone else about the praise and interest the new God of War is getting?

I know the series practically invented modern QTE and couldn't come close to its eastern brothers of DMC or Ninja Gaiden except on its hardest difficulties, only in some spots like the flaming cerberus in 3, but they were still enjoyable. Beating those ridiculously unfair sections was satisfying, the combat was visceral, and the gods were dicks just as they were in the myths. The intro to 3 still holds up today.

Now though, they are scaling down to a personal level. And that's fine, it's what God of War needed. A way to restart. Didn't matter if it stared Kratos or not. No blades of chaos. A new setting. Those two already open a realm of possibility for the game.

Except now they they take heavy example from The Last of Us. Combat looks even more half assed for the purpose of being cinematic. You have a companion that you will need to manage. It's everything God of War should not be, and yet people praise this hard left the series takes.

"For once I care for Kratos", "God of War looks to have finally matured beyond the testosterone fueled gore rampages", "I'm interested in the series now". These are all things that have been said, and it's worrisome.

It's worrisome to see a series practically change genres for the sake of narrative rather than gameplay. Variety is the spice of love fe, but right now action games are kind of dying. Platinum unwillingly has the monopoly on them, and no DMC or Ninja Gaiden and now no real God of War makes me worry for the future. Platinum can't just keep slapping the Bayonetta mechanics into everything and call it a day.

You can have a good story and gameplay, you know.
>>
>>341559482
The Last of Us is seen as the greatest game ever to people who don't know any better and don't care to know any better

i.e. tumblr users
>>
I'm a die hard God of War fan, and I agree
>>
>>341559482
>God of War looks to have finally matured beyond the testosterone fueled gore rampages

It's what I liked about the originals. If it isn't raging maniac Kratos fucking up some raging Norse Gods, then it's a no buy.

People have to realize that no matter how hard Naughty Dog, or Kojima, or Indie developers try, Video Games just aren't a good medium for story telling. At least not when compared to other entertainment mediums. Gameplay is always king, and story is secondary as even when it's excellent for a videogame, it's mediocre compared to other entertainment mediums.
>>
>>341559482
you should be worried
because people aren't being vocally
critical about it and just accepting what ever the fuck they're being thrown at them because they don't want to feel as if they're receiving an inferior product or the company they trust in can do no wrong.
call them out on this shit and hope for more game play because a god of war tlou is just fucking retarded.
>>
>>341559482
Not really, because I don't think what we saw is an indication of the game in general so much as just a (misguided, maybe) way of familiarizing the audience with the setting and Kratos's relationship with his son. The story is more intimate, and that's a weird choice for God of War. But maybe it will be good. Who knows. What we got is a tutorial.

That said, the game is going to pretty different. Everything Barlog has said, be it in interviews or on Twitter, suggests that we're getting a game more like Zelda or Soul Reaver than the old God of War games. The IGN interviewer you yourself reference even states that his short time with the game was defined by exploring. There may be reason to turn your nose up at that kind of "reimagining," too. But this The Last of Us doomsaying is tedious to read given how little we know.
>>
>>341559482

This is what happens though, fucking crybaby westerners whining about getting 'bored' of their 'favourite' game.

In response, developers are pushed into changing the game into a whole different game instead of adding and improving on the core experience.

Dynasty Warriors and Yakuza are examples of good sequels. I don't care if you don't like those games but they remain true to what they are and add in things.

What the fuck is the point in making a completely different game but giving it the same name? give it a different name and say it's from the makers of the last game
>>
>>341560990
The Last of us is a great game, but that doesn't mean all games need to be a last of us.

I do fear for the death of DMC/Ninja Gaiden/GoW style action games. All we have coming out is Nier and the rest are Souls clones, which is gameplay I simply do not enjoy.
>>
>>341565456
It doesn't sound like the game is trying to be TLoU. I can see how people might come to that conclusion given the kid, though.
>>
>>341559482

How many times has Kratos had a family and had them murdered and then killed all the Olympian gods in revenge before dying himself, and yet somehow turn up alive again with a family for the next part?
>>
>>341566591
Not from a gameplay standpoint, but the theme is
>>
>>341568572

You can play as the kid . He's supposed to be your aid during the whole game.

The stream this morning confirmed allot of fears.
>>
>>341559482
Here's a tip: nothing of what you saw in the video is any indication of what the game is going to be like. It's all a long ingame cutscene pretending to be gameplay. The same goes for Days Gone, and pretty much every other game that was just announced.
>>
>>341559482
I'm sorry for you m8, but your master Sony don't give a fuck about what you want. Everybody praised TLOU, then more TLOU for everybody. Actually, Sony's strategy is to make "emotional experiences".
>>
>>341565456
Thankfully you have Hideki Kamiya to make some games for you. Other than that, I think most people find games like that too stressful.
>>
I was kind of hoping this would be a reboot since it focuses on Norse mythology but it seems to be set in the same universe as the originals which I think is a shame. Imagine various reboots for the overall God of War series where they put a Kratos like character into different world mythologies. A God of War set with an Egyptian theme, a Hindu theme, a Shinto theme or even Dante's Divine Comedy. I don't know, seems like a missed opportunity for me.
>>
File: kratosichu.png (699 KB, 729x1027) Image search: [Google]
kratosichu.png
699 KB, 729x1027
6 fucking games that played nearly the same, anon. I'm skeptical about the new combat system as well and am hoping they just picked an easy tutorial level just to show Kratos in a new world, but holy shit it was either go big or let the series stay dead (and Santa Monica really needs a hit right now)

Barlog certainly has the chops to put out a good game, just hoping his brief time at Crystal Dynamics wasn't too infectious.
>>
>>341570021
>God of War game based around the Divine Comedy
We already have that
>>
This is going to be the next Uncharted 4 on /v/ isn't it

I fucking hate this board
>>
>>341570119
The funny thing is that I'll probably enjoy this new God of War considerably less than I enjoyed Dante's Inferno.
>>
>>341559482
I loved the idea as playing as this guy, who makes constant bad decision and fucks up the lives of everyone to please himself. I'll wait for trailers with stuff from later on in the game, but right now it looks too generic.
>>
>>341569606
Scalebound is an RPG/Adventure game though, and was made because Kamiya wanted to do something new, and the last time he did a non-action game was Okami
>>
>>341570197
Uncharted 4 was good though, even if there was one too many climbing sections.
>>
>>341559482
>pcucks again mad they aren't getting GOTY 2017

Bloodborne last year, Uncharted 4 this year and GoW next year? Must suck to be an xbot/pcuck
>>
>>341570520
>Uncharted 4 was good though
>>
File: 1424921854037.png (196 KB, 342x359) Image search: [Google]
1424921854037.png
196 KB, 342x359
Wait. People now love GoW? Last time I was here, before the new one was announced. GoW was just a button mashing hack n slash nobody liked. Always said how "Bayonetta and MGR are far better". Or how the prequel one they released last was pretty shit, repetitive and boring.

Now the series takes an interesting approach, and people complain? There is not pleasing you guys. And I'm not even planning of playing any God of wars.
>>
>>341570713
Bayonetta, yes. MGR, hell no. Platdrones are deluded

God of War was not the best series but they're definitely fun and more in touch with their beat-em-up roots than other character action games, the games just never got the time of day on /v/ because of memes
>>
>>341559482
Not really worried myself and i dont think youll actually play as kradad for long, all the experience gained from the showing seemed to go straight to the kid which makes sense and if you do play as kratos what is his motivation to kill the gods and giants this time?

It make more sense that you play as the child growing up and he loses his mother and father through giants, monsters or the acts of the gods.
>>
>>341565456

Ninja Gaiden is already dead.
It was too hard for people.

So they played Souls games which are literally roll+attack and "WHO GUYS THIS IS THE HARDEST SHIT EVER BUT IVE BEATEN IT"

We are getting Soulshit from now on with the same ass garbage and repetitive combat.
>>
>>341570818
eh. Maybe I'll play them in the future. When that 5 game collection price drops hard.

But to me, this looks more interesting than the first three GoW. Better at least from a gameplay stand-point than just improving the graphics and some mechanics of previous games and pumping out a new game.

More franchises should try this, just changing genres or direction when the series gets stale.
>>
>>341570713
It's not that we love it, it's that it's a clear downgrade from before when it could've been better.
>>
>>341571124
>Better at least from a gameplay stand-point

Retarded as fuck. Past GoW games were great from a gameplay standpoint, this new one sacrifices most of that for "experience" gaining and cinematic approaches.

Games fucking suck today.
>>
File: 1466062656620.webm (3 MB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
1466062656620.webm
3 MB, 700x394
>>341570713
>GoW is button masher
>but somehow MGRR isn't.
Platinumdrones are fucking delusional.
>>
>>341570713

kek

DMC, Bayonetta and MGRR are all bigger button smashers than GoW.
>>
File: 1410366740694.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1410366740694.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.