[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>yfw you realize Splatoon is the Wii U's definining game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: c27[1].png (195 KB, 457x510) Image search: [Google]
c27[1].png
195 KB, 457x510
>yfw you realize Splatoon is the Wii U's definining game

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying there aren't great games on the Wii U. Bayo2, W101, Tropical Dong. Loved them all.. But when you look back on consoles there are defining titles. Stuff that really strode forward. Mario 64. Ocarina. Wind Waker. Metroid Prime. Galaxy. Halo. Gears of War. Grand Theft Auto. God of War. Etc. etc.

But the Wii U felt like Stagnation: the Console. I love what we did get on the Wii U but it felt like it was just dead on arrival and they gave up. Everything, while very well polished, just came out with a whimper or half-assed. 3D World is not on the same generation defining level of World, 64 and Galaxy.

Breath of the Wild feels like it was supposed to be THAT game and they gave up and pushed it to the NX so the Wii U doesn't even get to claim that.

So it just had me thinking when you look back on the Wii U for THAT game...Splatoon is basically it. Everything else is niche flops and "More of the Same" sequels.
>>
>>341558250
Actually, Wii U has some pretty compelling software.

Besides Splatoon:

You've got MK8 which deramatically changed the playing field by adding anti-gravity to allow for more vertical and speed ups in the varius racing venues.

You've got The Wonderful 101 which greatly changes the character action game setup by having you play as 101 different heroes that work together to form many different weapons to tackle different situations and enemies to save the Earth.

Super Mario 3D World is the first successful 3D platformer to do multiplayer in 3D platforming right, where as in 2D Mario, multiplayer would be frustrating.

Affordable Space Adventures explored 3 player campaign in which 3 different players controlled different parts of a ship in order to navigate a hostile planet.

Not every game has to be genre defining either to be great and the platforms that did have high console sales didn't always rely on genre defining games.

For example, the Wii sold through a tech demo of sports games that have already existed before with only the prospect of motion controls really selling those tech demos well.
>>
Splatoon is trash
>>
>>341559778
>>341559812
There's two kinds of posters
>>
I think it is either xenoblade x or mario maker. Those were the shit. Everything else are things we can get on other consoles
>>
File: PSX_20160616_004710.jpg (204 KB, 1080x1252) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160616_004710.jpg
204 KB, 1080x1252
Splatoon is fun. I just wish I could mute the BGM
>>
>>341560381

I thought about Xenoblade too but that came out with a whimper and was instantly forgotten.

Mario Maker is an interesting case. It's hard to define a console entirely around a level maker but at the same time it did become a hit.
>>
>>341561078
>>341560381

No matter how good Xenoblade ever is, it's a niche franchise with no outside appeal. Like Fire Emblem was before Awakening.
>>
>>341559778

MK8 is just another Mario Kart. It was good but it's...just another Mario Kart. Other games have done anti-grav generations before.

Wonderful 101 was a heavily flawed niche game. It was good but it's like saying Nier was console defining.

And 3D World was basically just NSMB in 3D. Competently made but basically neutered.

ASA is literally who: the game.

Like I said I'm not saying there aren't great games on the Wii U. But nothing really felt console defining. Everything was just safe. Like what is THE game you HAVE to buy a Wii U for? Well there isn't really one. Stuff like ASA and TW101 are games you pick up because you already had a Wii U. And MK8 and 3D World are experiences that are found on every Nintendo console already.
>>
The Wii U feels like it had most of the shovelware support pulled out from under it, which led to a lot of parents just ignoring it. It's amazing how much obvious garbage games will sell. Consoles will sell just by having shelves of games, and the Wii U just doesn't have that. The Wii didn't have too many defining titles either, it just had such a fucking massive library of shit that people saw all the games and got it.

With that said, I like Splatoon. It's a charming game that actually has an engaging multiplayer. I'd played shooters for 16 years before halting for 4 years. Splatoon was the first one to catch my attention in a while.
>>
>>341563154

So it didn't have shovelware. And then it barely had anything for the core audience either.

What the fuck happened to the Wii U?
>>
>>341558250
This is very sad, but true. It feels like I bought a Wii U just to play Splatoon, Pikmin 3, and some older Nintendo games that were ported.
>>
>>341564695
I think by the end of the Wii's lifespan, shovelware consuming kids were the core audience. I dunno where the shovelware companies went though. Nintendo might have changed policy that forced them all away, or they moved onto making phone apps.
>>
>>341566530
Nintendo didn't do anything. They just moved onto Phone apps naturally.
>>
SMASH
M
A
S
H
>>
>>341568994
It didn't even have tourney mode. It wasn't too different compared to earlier entries, aside from giving nearly everyone a counter.
>>
>>341568994

Which falls along the lines of "Something found on nearly every Nintendo generation."

It's in the same place at MK8.
>>
>>341561172
Yea but xenoblade chronicles wasn't even good. Probably one of the worst games nintendo let onto the wiiu
>>
>>341558250
What's wrong with that? Splatoon is great.

More of the same and niche flops is most of the gaming market now. Xbox and Playstation really only have Titanfall and Bloodborne as exclusives worth talking about.
>>
>>341558250
I bought a Wii U just for Splatoon. Year later, I still have no other games. My friend also bought a Wii U after playing some Splatoon on my Wii U. We twin squad regularly.

My point is, don't worry, Splatoon is so good it's okay there is nothing else to play on the Wii U.
>>
It's funny OP is absolutely right and I feel more disappointed with my Wii U than my PS4...but I have more games for my Wii U. It's a strange feeling.
>>
>>341570202
I think the point that OP is making is that Splatoon is the only "defining game" for the Wii U, whereas prior Nintendo consoles had more of them.
>>
>>341558250
>Nintendo consoles defining game is a new IP

I am 100.000000000% okay with this.
>>
>console gen 8

sage
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.