[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We had a good JRPG thread going last night let's have another
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: Suikoden_3.jpg (58 KB, 351x500) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden_3.jpg
58 KB, 351x500
We had a good JRPG thread going last night let's have another

post what you've been playing, post your favorites, recommend games to others, and get comfy

Personally I just finished the first two Suikoden games and loved them. Now I'm interested in moving onto Suikoden III but I hear it's shit compared to the first two. Is it worth playing at all? What didn't people like about it?
>>
File: BraveStoryPSPCover[3].jpg (149 KB, 250x428) Image search: [Google]
BraveStoryPSPCover[3].jpg
149 KB, 250x428
The encounter rate on this game is insane.
>>
>>340999919
It's the first real experience of the suikoden team with 3D and it shows. Graphics lack charm and textures are simple, animation is crude at best.

Other than that the battle system is all over the place with AOE spells and no way to position your characters, you you either risk killing your own characters with your awesome spells or not use them at all. Also characters act in pair now for some reason, so you form units of two characters.

Other than that it is fine. The story is good enough to carry the game, though it has it's slow moments. Also progression is divided in both chapters and characters, so it can be a mess at times.
>>
>>341000495
Probably the last good traditional JRPG I played.

Not meant for hardcore RPG lovers, but managed to not be a boring snooze fest.

Newgame+ was really weak though.
>>
>>341000856

mate the story is one of the worst aspects of that piece of shit game.

which also affected the gameplay for the worst

>lets repeat the same shit 3 times over, but with very little difference anyway

How you go from something massive like suikoden 2 to a bunch of ooga boogas misunderstanding each other (and having 80% retreats) is appaling.

half the boss fights require you to lose.
>>
File: Geddoe and co.jpg (83 KB, 750x544) Image search: [Google]
Geddoe and co.jpg
83 KB, 750x544
>>340999919
It's pretty shit in that there is only one good part of the game, and that's when you're playing as Geddoe's crew. Everything else is a complete slog with unremarkable and unlikable characters.
>>
Ar Tonelico 1 and 2.
>>
>>341003402
What about them?
>>
File: Growlanser.Ii.full.64472.jpg (414 KB, 694x1000) Image search: [Google]
Growlanser.Ii.full.64472.jpg
414 KB, 694x1000
I've finished Growlanser II. Great game. Now I'm moving on to Growlanser III.
>>
Any classic JRPGs that aged well over time?
>>
>>341005786
Earlier Growlansers don't have enough Leonya
>>
>>341006057
Star Ocean 2
>>
>>341006141
I actually never use her because I dislike her (and Kugimiya Rie). Is she a good unit?
>>
>>341006651
Pretty much the best frontline fighter, yeah.
>>
>>340999919
I liked Suikoden 1 and 2 as much as I liked 3.
Thing is Suikoden 2 is just 1 but made better.
3 is not 2 made better. 3 is its own thing. Obviously everyone who liked 1 liked 2 as well, but may not like 3.

I thought it was comfy as fuck and had some great characters. It's also longer than the others, so you're in for a long ride.

Try it and see if you like it.
>>
>>341005786
You know how the knife throwing kid broke the game in II? Absolutely nothing changed in the sequel that is actually a prequel.
>>
>>341006057
Most of the SNES ones aged well.
>>
File: CRT root menu.jpg (738 KB, 1716x1140) Image search: [Google]
CRT root menu.jpg
738 KB, 1716x1140
>>340999919
>post what you've been playing, post your favorites, recommend games to others, and get comfy

The only JRPGs I can stand now are tactical RPGs. The genre is just too boring without maneuvering and positioning.
>>
File: 65268_front.jpg (102 KB, 640x906) Image search: [Google]
65268_front.jpg
102 KB, 640x906
>>341006887
And what sort of TRPGs have you been playing? FFT is mediocre at best when judged as a TRPG so I'm a bit skeptical.

Speaking of TRPGs, what are the chances that Berwick Saga will ever be translated? Have any of you guys played it?
>>
>>340999919
Post a good JRP, you first.

Suikoden 3 is the worst in the series, are you serious with that game you fucking faggot?

2 > 5 > 1 > 4 > spin offs > 3
>>
>>341007221
>FFT is mediocre at best when judged as a TRPG
Which is a shame because what makes it bad is just the horrendous balance. The rest of the package is great.
>>
Getting a pstv and ds shipped in the mail.
I also have a ps3/4 what are some really good jrpgs?
>>
>>341008024
Nier if you haven't played it
>>
File: monk battle.png (539 KB, 954x536) Image search: [Google]
monk battle.png
539 KB, 954x536
>>341007221
>FFT is mediocre at best when judged as a TRPG so I'm a bit skeptical.
>when judged as a TRPG

Literally wut? Its only fault is that story battles don't scale (unlike random encounters), which leads to cheese scenarios like using T.G. Cid or grinding Hamedo or whatever. But even if you did such silly things as that, you'd soon accidentally find yourself in this fight and getting your ass fucked on the way to the next story battle.

Even considering things like Fire Emblem, Front Mission, Jagged Alliance, and Tactics Ogre, none of them have such a customizable and well-thought out well, except for the Archer's Charge+X skillset class system. It's literal perfection, taken from FF3/5.

The other giant plus is that FFT uses 3D maps with height variables (which Tactics Ogre semi-does) which adds quite a lot of depth to positioning than just move->plug the hole like Fire Emblem. Jump, ranged attack range, Teleport, and even spell height tolerance all factor into that.

>>341007221
>Speaking of TRPGs, what are the chances that Berwick Saga will ever be translated? Have any of you guys played it?

I've played Tear Ring Saga and had to put it down after an hour, disgusted with how unpolished it was. If Berwick is as bad as that, I don't think we're missing out.

Vestaria Saga is apparently done soon, but Kaga is saying that it's more of a doujin game than what the West considers "indie."
>>
>>340999919
>good JRPG
>suikoden
lol, they're barely c-grade. You have taste in your arsehole.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.