[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You are now forced to work for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: E3.png (484 KB, 684x492) Image search: [Google]
E3.png
484 KB, 684x492
You are now forced to work for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo in order to make games and thus for the rest of your life.

Where do you go, anon?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10462615
>>
Regardless of whether you like them or not Nintendo would probably be the best bet. Different devs have said they're great to work with.

Kamiya:
>"Before working with Nintendo I thought they were a big company and they'll have some big marketing guy telling them what to make, but once I started working with them I found the human side was deeper than I thought. You could have real conversations about how to make the game, and how to make it better."

>"I like the fact that Nintendo didn't ask to change too much - the creativity of Platinum was totally respected by Nintendo throughout the process."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-30-the-wonderful-kamiya

Pretty much the exact opposite is true for Microsoft. See: the development of Nuts and Bolts.
>>
>>340827923
I also voted Nintendo. I know /v/ hates them but they're the only ones I can still relate to after so many years.
>>
Nintendo because I can keep copy and pasting game assets and the fans will defend it to death. There's much more criticism for Microsoft and Sony games no matter how well they are developed and the fans aren't as autistic.
>>
Microsoft for stability
>>
Sony for creativity
>>
Nintendo

Sony doesn't even make many games/depend on third parties and have canned studios liked driveclub

Ms did the same to fable's studio
>>
I feel like I would have a lot of input to offer if I worked for Microsoft, but they seem like such a shitty company to work for. Shutting down studios left and right when the aren't breathing down the devs' necks. And of course that image that goes into what a shitshow Windows 10 develop for. It's interesting how one of the largest companies in the world doesn't have it's shit together at all.
>>
>>340828234
This.
>>
>>340828460
to be honest Lionheart had it coming
>game was supposed to release in 2014
>delayed to late 2015
>delayed to march 2016
>still were not near completion
i'd sack em too
>>
The correct answer is valve.

Sit on my ass doing nothing but making cosmetics and collect dosh with no fear of being canned because a game didn't sell 5 million copies or got a 70 on metacritic.
>>
I go to Nintendo of America and slowly bring reform from the inside.
>>
>>340828608
this
>>
>>340827557
>Sony & Nintendo 15
>Microsoft 5

Why do you hate Microsoft, /v/?
>>
>>340827557
can't i just kill myself instead?
>>
>>340827923
>Pretty much the exact opposite is true for Microsoft. See: the development of Nuts and Bolts.
to be fair, Xbox has changed management 3 times in less than a decade, who knows how they are now.
>>
>>340828869
Funny enough I wanted to add that option but realized most people would just pick that so I didn't.
>>
people are voting for the Nintendo back from 15 years ago
>>
>>340828564

Agreed but it was the fault of whoever told them to make a f2p mmo and not just fable 4

Lionhead isn't that great but they can make decent games I'd score 8/10 though the first was 9/10
>>
>>340829159
Kamiya didn't work with Nintendo 15 years ago
>>
Nintendo. Western vidya publishers don't value their employees.
>>
>>340829290
>it was the fault of whoever told them to make a f2p mmo and not just fable 4
Mattrick
he fucked up everything, he was the guy in the 2013 press conference. When he took over all we got from the 360 was raised XBL prices and nogaems aside from gears and halo

he also ruined Rare by interfering with banjo and forcing them to make kinect games
>>
At this point I think working for Sony would be about the same as working for Microsoft.
>>
>>340829325
>Konami
>Sony

Valve pretty much values their employees more than anyone else in the industry. Not sure what you're on about.
>>
>>340829432

Ah. He's the one who also made the quantum break tv thing.

Amazing how one guy had no restraints and had that much control.

Fable legends didn't even look that bad. Should have been a single player game and it would have been decent. You know the only thing lionhead knows how to do. Not mmos which are structured differently and play online.
>>
>>340829650
Yup, Phil had to take up the reigns after Microsoft "asked him to resign"
it's why the past 2 E3s for MS have actually been decent. Bigger focus on games and such, complete drop of kinect, and backwards compat. That cunt Mattrick nearly made it a one console race.
>>
File: first party.png (438 KB, 1771x774) Image search: [Google]
first party.png
438 KB, 1771x774
Why would people pick Nintendo? Microsoft would be a better choice and with way more opportunity for growth. Nintendo is in the middle of switching over to mobile gaming for gods sake.

Pic related.
>>
>>340829650
>Ah. He's the one who also made the quantum break tv thing.
To be honest I didn't really mind quantum break being a game and a show, it was definitely different. Some actors could have performed a bit better though.
>>
>>340829905
I quite liked Quantum Break
7/10 game
>>
>>340829867

Microsoft and sony both can you at any time

Driveclub didn't even do bad and sony killed the studio.

MS is more lenient but you fuck up once and you get the boot. See Lionhead. For some reason rare is still alive.
>>
>>340827557
Nintendo.

I wouldn't mind moving to Seattle.
>>
>>340830025
>fuck up once
>>340828564
>once
>>
>>340830116

Ok fine. They likely spent a lot of resources but in the end it was whoever told them to make a mmo who was at fault. Not lionhead. That's no reason to can them.
>>
>>340828608
>>340828779

valve isn't a choice you fucking retards
>>
>>340830206
while you are correct, the guy who told them too was sacked. Honestly they should have just sacked the team and kept the studio. No idea why they closed the studio
>>
>>340828234
This.
For the most part, Microsoft appears to be the "9 to 5, most of us have families" workplace of the tech world. I'd may want to work temporarily for both Nintendo and Sony, but if I was forced to work somewhere for the rest of my life, Microsoft would probably be the most comfortable despite it not being a great place for creativity.
>>
>>340830025
Nah that studio had been making mediocre games for too long, Drive club wasn't bad but with Sony's flagship driving sim on the horizon its only sensible to let them go, they werehired tof ill the void.

Sony needs to invest in Japanese devs more though. Also rare is alive because rare has brand value in the market and can help sell or push a game
>>
Sony would be the easiest

>Have bunch of shills that do it for free
>Fans would literally eat my shit up
> Don't even have to try
>Media is in Sony's pocket
>>
>>340829973
I enjoyed it as well. I feel like some more gameplay powers would have been nice, but the story was pretty good. Beth's story in particular really interested me, I liked how her journal was pretty in depth about her life after she went back.

I was a little surprised when they first used the time machine and Paul touches himself without anything happening. In most time travel things that's a huge no no
>>
>>340830256
>No idea why they closed the studio

Because to satisfy investors/stockholders/top command of MS someone needs to be blamed for all that money loss. Basically someone's head needed to roll or my guess is Phil's head would have since they blame whoever is in charge even if they were replaced.
>>
>>340830469
shame, hopefully they get a new team to make something.
>>
Whoever pays me the most and has the best job security.
>>
>>340830256
It's not like the studio was great enough to keep around. Easier to just dissolve the company entirely than to spend even more money to try and salvage it.
>>
>>340830725
makes sense, would it be cheaper to form a new studio?
>>
Had to think between Sony and Nintendo. Love Nintendo to death but

>year after year Sony devs talk about the absolute freedom they have in their work
>Nintendo devs are stuck to a formula and bending to superiors ideas and whims IE Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario
>>
>>340830283
>>340828234
>Kill Franchises that were as popular as Mario back then
>Never creates, only buys the studios
>Disband studios left and right
Must be awesome being part of Lionhead Studios right now eh? good luck keeping your job.

This has to be the most retarded post of the day
>>
>>340828147
>/v/ hates nintendo
what backwards bizzaro place are you from?
>>
>>340831068
/v/ has been taken over by Neogaf years ago.
>>
>>340830810
If they actually needed one. They would likely replace a lot of personnel and/or make drastic cuts and scale back production just to keep the name (which again doesn't stand for much). Of course they could just buy up an indie studio then build outwards.
>>
>>340830926
Not even that, but it seems like if I wanted to have the hope of creating an original unique IP, if I worked at Sony, I could make something mature and suited to my taste, and if I worked at Nintendo, I could only make something childish.

Whatever you want to play is fine, but I don't want the work of my life to be making only games for children.
>>
File: 4343.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
4343.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>340830601

Wonder what happens with all those fucking assets. I mean that's millions of dollars of work. They could make a new team to make something with it. Otherwise what's the point
>>
File: 1453405241946.jpg (7 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1453405241946.jpg
7 KB, 256x256
>>340830926
Yeah I bet Sonys studios had tons of freedom when they were told to make Mario clone, Halo clone, Mario Kart clone and Smash Bros clone.
>>
>>340830975
see
>>340828564
miss multiple deadlines, get sacked. It's as simple as that
>>
>>340827557
I'd love to work for any of them really.
But probably Sony.

But recently not Nintendo
Because anything I make would get censored to fuck and ruin my original vision
>>
sony so i can be kawaii and live in japanuu
>>
>>340831274
probably keeping them for something, maybe a new studio will make a new game?
>>
>>340830975
What part of working for the rest of your life do you not understand? Didn't you read the OP. Fuck no would I work for Microsoft in reality, or at least for all of my days, but under the conditions put forward in op I think they are the most stable, least stressful place in the long run if you squeeze yourself in a permanent position.
>>
>>340831401
Most Sony studios are western now.
>>
>>340827557
>enabling the captcha

Fuck that shit, didn't even vote.
>>
>>340831328
One time, then they move to another shit.
>>
>>340831486

I recall gabe give an interview once on how much knowledge he gained at ms that was irreplaceable. Something like school and everything was shit compared to what you learn there tech wise. I imagine it must be very nice provided you are competent.
>>
Sony. Their higher ups may be retarded, but their marketing team is fucking perfection. I won't have to worry about my game getting exposure, so long as I make something decent it'll find buyers.
>>
>>340831709
>tfw no more kevin butler ads
>>
>>340827557
microsoft, most likely to be able to work in the pc space

although being involved in mario kart nx could be cool
>>
>>340831773
Yeah, sucks that Sony was a dick a sued him for bullshit reasons. Oh well.
>>
File: 23.150.png (1 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
23.150.png
1 KB, 240x240
>>340827557
>Sony
>Making games
I feel like Nintendo would allow for the most variety, so them.

>>340831383
But you have one advantage that they don't. You can speak English, and you can tell them to go fuck themselves. Translate your games yourself.
>>
>>340832181
He never said I'd be working in japan for them
Not to mention it would be NoA that censors it not japan.
I guess working for Nintendo in japan would be much better. But none of my games are allowed in the west. Unless theyre untouched
>>
>>340827557
>working for Microsoft
a fate worse than death
>working for Sony
Maybe
>working for Nintendo
yeah sure, as long i dont get to be in the same project with miyamoto
>>
Nintendo

I'll be able to work on good games a bit more often
>>
>>340827557
Sony, because I will actually have a job in 2 years time, unlike the other two.
>>
LOL, silly kids.

If you are a software engineer, you want to be at Microsoft. Sony is a consumer electronics company; its first-party game studios are a sideline. Nintendo is a game console company; it's first-party game studios are small and also a sideline. Microsoft is a software company, which means you can transfer to work on just anything software related from operating systems to apps to search engines without much effort. They also do a pretty good job of not doing game deathmarches since their entire value proposition is shipping stable software on a regular schedule.

Now, practically speaking, if you are a software engineer and aren't constrained to be at Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft, you'd probably be better off at Apple, Google, or Amazon. Word on the street is that shit is falling apart since that stupid assclown Nadella canned all of their testers. However, there are a lot worse places to work than Microsoft.
>>
>>340827557
>You are now forced to work for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo in order to make games and thus for the rest of your life.

Nintendo is the only solely video game company that wont back out of the business. If I have to work in video games at one company for the rest of my life I'd like somewhere that doesn't decide to shutter my department randomly because the new ceo doesnt like the vidja.
>>
>>340832386
If you're working in the west, you're probably even better off, since NoA won't actually be touching your game as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>340832425
>Passing on the chance to work with Miyamoto before his fast approaching retirement/death.

Even if he'd fuck your game up, it would be a valuable experience and look good on your résumé.
>>
>>340832559
>Nintendo is the only solely video game company that wont back out of the business.
Which why they are getting into movies, theme parks and mobile right?
>>
>>340832554
True, but OP's question stated we would be making games for life. So considering only games, Nintendo and Sony are the only real options.
>>
>>340832692
Nintendo wont develop movies nor theme parks
>>
>>340832635
you know what? you are probably right, then when i get old i will tell stories to my friend like "remember the game i was working on, the one that had that really cool main character", "remember when old miyamoto was all like, "fuck your shit, put mario on this garbage" and i had to listen to him because he was a senile bastard"
yeah... good stories
>>
>>340832979
You haven't heard? They are invest in a theme park and looking to get into Hollywood.
>>
>>340828564
Lionhead had a shit run towards the end. The last two games they put out before starting Legends were that kinect game and an xbox live arcade game.

And from what i played of the closed beta it actually seemed to be fairly far along. fully voice acted, lots of little cutscenes. I honestly think they canned it just because MS didn't want to support an online-only game that would be as dead as Evolve in less than a month
>>
>>340833260
I guess we will never know
>>
>>340830224
That's a funny way of spelling "REEEEEEEE"
>>
>>340827557
I would pick Nintendo because I wouldn't be fired if a game didn't sell well. Nintendo is also the only company that actually seems to respects it's developers. They've also got realistic goals and handles money well. RETRO didn't need Tropical Freeze to sell 4 million copies, if they sold over 250k they made bank. Anything over that was just pure profit.
>>
>>340832181
>I feel like Nintendo would allow for the most variety, so them.

see >>340829867
>>
File: first party.jpg (692 KB, 1771x774) Image search: [Google]
first party.jpg
692 KB, 1771x774
Sony makes the most games and has the most varied catalogue.

They have plenty of lower profile games that come out and don't break a million sales yet they'll keep the devs on board working on future games or sequels. Tomorrow children, Shadow Of The Beast, Tearaway and Gravity Rush for example.
>>
>>340832554
>Microsoft is a software company, which means you can transfer to work on just anything software related from operating systems to apps to search engines without much effort.

But whats the point of this with an abysmal installbase?
>>
>>340827557
Ouya
>>
>those beds are only in case you want to take a nap not making you work 200h a week
>vidya dev is a good career
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.