[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"(game)'s story was shit. It wasn't fun."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: fun.jpg (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
fun.jpg
12 KB, 500x500
>"(game)'s story was shit. It wasn't fun."
>"(game)'s characters were bad, they weren't fun."

Why are americans so fascinated by the abstract idea of 'fun'? "Lack of fun" is the main complaint every single time someone says they don't like a game's story, for instance, and it's extremely shallow. What's wrong with brooding characters or simply ones that don't joke, quip, shit talk every minute? What's wrong with grim stories? Are they automatically bad?
>>
Good shitpost.
>>
File: funflick.jpg (96 KB, 1079x336) Image search: [Google]
funflick.jpg
96 KB, 1079x336
>>340699114

Please, explain to me how this is shitposting. I'll wait.

This is a serious discussion we need to have. Movie studios are talking about it, that means game developers are talking about it too.
>>
>>340699278
>Movie studios are talking about it, that means game developers are talking about it too.
What.

>>340699058
There are a combination of factors contributing to many people's distaste for grimness in games, but if I had to choose one as the greatest contributor I think it'd be gaming's longstanding status as empowerment fantasy first and foremost. The general idea is that, when playing games, people want to feel powerful, and that ideas and practices that don't contribute to that are obstacles.
>>
>>340699278
Because "entertainment" is OFTEN interchangeable with "having fun." While this is not always the case, it is something people look for in their video games. Now admit you're trolling or admit you're retarded, you only have two options.
>>
Alright ill take the bait
Because unlike you europoors our main concern is having fun since we dont have to deal with muslims invading our countries and raping our women.
>>
>>340699278
Sorry we aren't like Brits fucking running around to yackety sax yelling shit like "BOINGYOINGYOINGYOING" slapping ass like a bunch of retarded children.

Sometimes you just need to grow up.
>>
>>340699883

Cultural trends are something both movie and game studios talk about a lot. It's a key factor to decided which products are greenlit or not. If one medium is discussing it, you can be sure the other is as well.

>>340700048

You're the only one shitposting here, my friend. Do you really think an interactive medium with an infinite amount of possibilities can be reduced to "entertainment" or "fun"?
>>
>>340700406
>>340700176

I'm sorry, where does it say the thread was made by an european / english person?
>>
>>340700560
I guess that means you aren't from either of the two countries that matter.

Faggot
>>
>>340700642

>Europe is a country

Damn
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_novelty
>>
>>340700702

I don't see how that's related to this subject at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 237x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 237x300
>>340700692
>>
>>340700828
something being new or conventional doesn't automatically ameliorate the flaws or other problems of a game
>>
>>340701128

But a story being dark or fun is not something that's new. Lots of people judge games based only on their atmosphere / vibe, favoring 'fun' stories over dark ones like if they were automatically better.
>>
>>340699058
In my opinion the definition of "fun" has been turned into "quick and easy." Something people don't have to put a lot of thought into.

With a grim story, you have to be able to put suspend disbelief and put yourself into the story, and that takes effort. I think it's a bit of that, mixed in with this culture the internet has now of everyone wanting to be a critic, everyone has an opinion and they all want to share it with the world and argue it, or be validated for it, so it becomes easy to pick something apart, laugh at it, or look down on it and label it.

just my 2c
>>
>>340701394
Yes but a convention tried and executed poorly can still be an appeal to novelty, the thing in itself doesn't inherently have to be new, but the facet of it may be. Such as Darksiders or The Darkness, both games which exhibit no new features, but people tend to make them a novelty, and grade them based off of that.

Like Skyward Sword changing the gameplay formula, or Legacy of Kain changing the combat, these are conventions not new, but in the design and application of them, have novel values.
>>
>>340701526

I think you nailed it. Grim stories require you to be in a certain mood and put yourself in someone else's shoes. People don't wanna bother these days, they want their quick fix, a pastime.

I don't know about you all, but I also have trouble REALLY enjoying fun stories because of that, they seem to be made with less effort, since they mostly just want quick laughs. A grim, serious story, on the other hand, if done right, sticks with me for a long time.
>>
Adults naturally look for "fun" from their entertainment because adult life is miserable enough.
>>
>>340704050
we literally went 45 minutes without a social commentary
>>
TONIIIIIIIIGHT
WE ARE YOUNG
>>
ngl nate ruess on his own, separate from fun, is better
>>
>>340704094
What a meaningless response.
>>
>>340704575
Tailored to the pungent and ever riveting logical dispense of Anonymous.
>>
>>340704634
OP's question doesn't need a deeper answer.
>>
>>340704762
Who's giving one?
>>
>>340704832
You seem to want one.
>>
Civ 4 and Dangan Ronpa 2
>>
>>340705308
Top defense.
>>
>>340699058
>Why are americans so fascinated by the abstract idea of 'fun'?

it isn't just Americans. Video games have an intrinsic need to be fun. You can make a movie with the desire to delight people, or you could make a movie with the intention to scare - these are things you can do in video games. You cannot however make a video game with the intention for it to be a slow moving boring slog of shit and expect people to sit through it.

There are are things you can do in movies that you can't do in games. You can't make Eraser Head as a video game, for example, but you can make Escape from New York.

Until video games get past the need for a controller (IE you stick some shit inside your brain) I doubt we're ever going to get past this problem.
>>
Because Videogames should be fun. I don't really give a shit about story or characters. Give me a game with a decent challenge, some fun ass gameplay, a kick ass sound track, engaging game world and a good amount of content. Good story and Characters make a great game better but they cetartainly aren't make or break for me.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.