[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /v/. I want to play Lunar, but I am not sure which version
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: serveimage.jpg (794 KB, 1430x2430) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
794 KB, 1430x2430
Hey, /v/.

I want to play Lunar, but I am not sure which version I should get.

The original Sega CD? The PSX remake? The PSP enhanced edition?

Please advise.
>>
PSP edition was pretty great, but they changed the voice actors. Not sure if for better or worse.
>>
>>340669820
I can tolerate mediocre voice acting. I care most about the plot, I hear there were several changes to it, and I want the superior experience.
>>
>>340669820
>for better or worse
Definitely better.
Literal chipmunk fucking rat bastard got changed into an actual voice. Holy shit it was the literal worst thing about the voice acting in the old games.

>>340670019
The game itself is considerably easier in a few aspects, theres no more item cap and a few bosses lose instakill attacks. A couple dungeons have empty portions of them removed so if you're that big into MUH PLOT you might not like seeing some pretty looking but literally empty rooms gone.

As far as I remember the actual story doesn't change aside from reworded cutscenes due to rat bastard getting a better voice actor. They same the same shit though it just sounds less forced.
>>
PS1. Higher production values across the board. Not only is the spritework better, but there's an actual overworld and not just menu based navigation. The PSP remake is shit. Don't play it.
>>
>>340669518
Honestly, just read a plot summary and play Lunar 2 instead. Lunar 1 is super-generic early 90's schlock.
>>
>>340670932
>>340671093
If push comes to shove, I am willing to play both PSX and PSP versions and see the differences for myself, but I would like to know if I can skip the Sega CD version. Are you guys familiar with that one?

>>340671292
Alright, I'll go into it with lowered expectations, but I still plan to play it. But as for Lunar 2, the same question applies - should I bother with the original version, or go straight to the PSX remake?

Thanks for the input, guys.
>>
>>340671292
>Lunar 1 is super-generic early 90's schlock.
That's the fun of it though.
You don't get these really old school anime games anymore, gotta enjoy the good ones.
>>
>>340671604
Yeah, I agree with this. One of the reasons I'm looking into Lunar is because I have an itch to play an old school jRPG.
>>
>>340671563
They're very similar to the PSX versions, which are just enhanced ports rather than remakes. The PSP and GBA versions of 1 are the only true remakes.

No reason to play the Sega CD versions.
>>
>>340671746
Thanks, that's exactly the answer I was hoping to hear. Let's see if other anons will support your notion.

And while we're on the topic, how's the GBA port? I sort of assumed that is not really worthwhile, but it won't hurt to make sure.
>>
>>340671746
I dunno man, I still kind of like Lunar 2 SCD with its corny 90's jokes and really good looking 2D cutscenes.

>>340671604
But it's so damned unimaginative. The whole story is basically a save the world, get the girl scenario where said girl is kidnapped by an evil wizard. Doesn't help that the playable cast is one-dimensional and tropey as fuck.
>>
>>340671942
I didn't even realize there was a GBA remake. Sounds like it would be pretty awful unless its a completely different game entirely.
>>
>>340672152
>But it's so damned unimaginative. The whole story is basically a save the world, get the girl scenario where said girl is kidnapped by an evil wizard.
Yes? And?
Are you gonna call Mario Brothers unimaginative because its a "jump across platforms and save the princess" game?
We're talking about originals here, man.
EVERYTHING was save the princess from evil wizards back then.
Or save the princess from evil warlords.
Or save the princess from evil dragons.

That was the HOT SHIT. It doesn't happen anymore, because its "too cliche" despite this being the fucking pioneering era of save the princess RPGs.
>>
LoonEr or LoonAr
>>
>>340672392
What are you on about? This game was made YEARS after that plot premise was pioneered. It's derivative as all hell.
>>
>>340672591
I'm sorry, I don't understand.
>>
>>340669518
The Saturn version is the best version of the game.
>>
>>340672591
LoonAr - the games pronounce it like that repeatedly.
>>
>>340672705
But it's Japan only.
>>
>>340673093
The Saturn version is basically the PS1 version but with better music quality. You're not missing out on much else with it.
>>
File: 20150318_020013.jpg (2 MB, 4250x2391) Image search: [Google]
20150318_020013.jpg
2 MB, 4250x2391
>>340673093
Failing to see the problem? The best game in the series is Japan only too.
>>
Wait for the people who brought Grandia 2 to Steam bring Lunar over. It's already confirmed to be happening.
>>
The PSP version has really bad load times, and it's only made worse by the fact that every time you switch screens, whatever song is currently playing restarts.

If you like hearing the same 8 seconds of music while exploring towns, play that version.

If not, play the Playstation version. Also be sure to play the sequel which is arguably better.
>>
>>340673770
Really? Hm. Well, I'm only adding Lunar to my backlog, as I'm currently playing the Suikoden series. Maybe by the time I'm done, the PC port will be out?
>>
>>340674036
>Suikoden
Anon... That's a Konami series...

>>340673770
Source?
>>
File: 1464715639603.png (506 KB, 615x486) Image search: [Google]
1464715639603.png
506 KB, 615x486
>>340674212
>Anon... That's a Konami series...
Yes, and? I am currently playing them, and by the time I'm done with it, maybe the PC port of Lunar will out.
What exactly were you implying? Are you saying that I can only wait for Konami games while playing Konami games? Will the PC port of Lunar be delayed because I play Suikoden these days? I don't get it.
>>
>>340669518
/vr/ generally agrees that the PS1 version is best for Lunar 1 and the SCD version is best for Lunar 2. Dragon Song is shit.
>>
>>340669518
Playing PSOne right now. I suck at it, but it's good.
>>
>>340674643
Have you, like, completely ignored what's happened with Konami the past year and a half or so? They're pretty much out of the video games business.
>>
>>340675676
How do faulty Konami's business practices impact the development of Lunar's PC port?
>>
>>340676074
Oh, I thought you implied that Suikoden my get ported, too. My bad.
>>
>>340676201
An honest mistake, then. No grudges held.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.