[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: games that disappointed you and why. This doesn't mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 17
File: Bloodborne-Banner.jpg (308 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne-Banner.jpg
308 KB, 1280x720
ITT: games that disappointed you and why. This doesn't mean they're bad games or that you hate them, but just games that didn't quite meet your expectations.

I'll start:

- Lack of variety within locations, most locations are city-based.
- Many boss fights are simplistic, only two genuinely challenging bosses in the whole game.
- Best weapon and clothing is given early in the game.
- Not enough boss fights, almost half of the game is delivered through monotonous chalice dungeons (some are worth doing, most are not).
>>
> Lack of ability to hold a weapon arsenal larger than two weapons.
> Weapon upgrades are useless if you want to change your weapons
> enemies are bullet sponges on highest difficulty
> Lady Comstock a shit
> shitty narrative full of plotholes and contradictions
> gameplay mechanics such as hacking seen in earlier games now gone for good
> overhyped by reviewers, journalists and fans

Also the game is shit.
>>
battleborn a shit
>>
>not scary at all
>everything is blurry
>gameplay sucks
>awful voice acting
>b tier movie story
>everything it tries to do other games does better
>>
>>340662508
I felt Bloodborne was surprisingly short too for a From Software/Souls-esque game. Sure, there's chalice dungeons, but those are optional and don't really add much to the game other than a short obstacle course and three semi-boss fights which are more often than not just common enemies with a large health pool or bosses you've fought previously but stronger.
>>
Unity really disappointed me, especially with how much it did right.
>Parkour system at is best
>Great customization options
>Beautiful atmosphere and character models
pair that with
>Shit combat
>Low tool variety
>Poorly imitated "Hitman" style missions
>Boring characters
>Boring story
>British accents
>Abysmal stealth

I was bummed.
>>
I found Fallout: New Vegas to be a lot more repetitive in its mission structure than the other Fallout games. Many missions were simply: take X from location A to location B, return to location A, head to location C, return to location A, etc. I know there's quick travel, but most quests structured like this made the game feel tiresome and repetitive, and there's plenty of quests like this. The DLC expansions are OK and the atmosphere is distinctive but it's simply not enough imo. New Vegas is my least favourite Fallout game.
>>
>>340663620
I dropped Ass Creed after the third one. No good could come from the series after that, especially that they started churning them out annually like CoD too.

Here's hoping the movie mite b cool though.
>>
>>340663810
The pirate ones are pretty good but this series is garbage now. Ubisoft needs to do something about if they want people to care again.
>>
I honestly don't tend to mind many walking simulators - on a lazy day, with a cup of tea or coffee, they can be pretty comfy. I was pretty annoyed by this one though.

> too expensive for what it actually is
> starts off strongly, interesting characters, pretty fun to explore with only a map and compass (as long as you turn off the character marker in the options)
> game builds up a mystery but the pay off is so weak and lazy it might not have been worth solving at all - would've preferred it if it went completely unsolved and we left the mountain wondering what the fuck happened
> characters also lack any real pay off - they're build up for a fairly long time and are pretty likeable but the ending just happens. it just literally sort of ends without tying anything up

Most frustrating narrative-based walking simulator experience. Don't pay for it, or at least wait until its dirt cheap.
>>
>>340662839
This annoyed me so much, especially since I loved the first two Bioshocks and so many people were over-hyping this as the best one yet, a smart game for smart gamers from what I remembered was what many people referred to it as.

I really wanted to believe the hype. I really wanted to love it. I really did... ;_;
>>
>>340663405
chalice dungeons do have unique enemy types only found in the dungeons and you do get some new boss types too, but i think the dungeons are meant to be completed early in the game because if you do them all towards the end of the game ,before you fight gehrmann, they are super-duper easy-peasy.
>>
>>340664495
This. Would've preferred a sandbox with cave and forest exploration, managing the forest and only having a traditional map and compass for reference. Instead, got a walking sim that starts off OK and by the end feels so disappointing
>>
File: 250px-RuleofRose.jpg (26 KB, 250x354) Image search: [Google]
250px-RuleofRose.jpg
26 KB, 250x354
with how rare it was, and my love for niche japanese survival horrors, this sounded like my kind of game

played it and it feels like it has a lot of potential and ideas but it never knows quite what to do with them. also it controls like mud. couldn't finish it, ended up becoming more annoyed with it than anything
>>
I remember buying a Myst port for my DS like 10 years ago because I was always interested in Myst but never had much chance to play it, plus I wanted a portable version so I could play it in the car on long road trips.

Played it for a bit and I couldn't understand any of it: the sound was bad, the graphics were at such a poor resolution it was impossible to read what was in the game (there was a magnifying glass added but it just made things worse). I barely played it for longer than ten minutes and it put me off from playing Myst for the longest time
>>
>>340662508
>Best weapon and clothing is given early in the game
Hunter axe yeah, but cainhurst Armour isn't given to you
>>
>>340667160
I think he meant the hunter garbs you get in the sewers of central Yharnam.
>>
>>340662508
DARKBORNE DEFINITIVE RANKS

GOD-TIER

DARK SOULS
DEMON'S SOULS

GOOD TIER
DARK SOULS 3

ASS TIER
BLOODBORNE
DARK SOULS 2
>>
>>340665282
The final chalice dungeons are harder than any regular area
>>
>>340667419
Bloodborne is better than Dark Souls 3. If you disagree it's because you don't own a PS4.
>>
>>340662508
>Best weapon and clothing is given early in the game.

You need to progress pretty far to get the Church Pick though
>>
File: SotN.jpg (579 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SotN.jpg
579 KB, 1920x1080
>>340662508
- Lack of variety within locations, most locations are castle-based.
- Many boss fights are simplistic, only two genuinely challenging bosses in the whole game.
- Best weapon and clothing is given early in the game. Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
- Not enough boss fights, almost half of the game is delivered through the monotonous inverted castle (some are worth doing, most are not).
>>
>>340662508
FTL, I love the combat, but the rest of the game was dogshit for me, I really wanted to like that game.
>>
>>340663405
Bloodborne has the highest ammount of optional areas of all Souls games, almost half the game actually. Mayhaps you skipped through a couple because overall it lasts just as long
>>
>>340667881
The main difference is Symphony of the Night was good
>>
>>340668035
I don't think I skipped any. I discovered the Nightmare frontier, I played through the DLC, I discovered Cainhurst, The orphanage and the chalice dungeons. Maybe I just went through it quicker than the other Souls games. I don't know...
>>
File: Yharnam.jpg (3 MB, 2967x4210) Image search: [Google]
Yharnam.jpg
3 MB, 2967x4210
>>340668085
You say that now, but at the time it was highly criticized by nintendo fanboys, just as BB is by those who can't play it.

Both games are great and classics of their geration.
>>
>>340667881
>- Lack of variety within locations, most locations are castle-based.

Need I remind you the title of the game?
>>
>>340663810
>dropping it right before the best one
granted everything (with the exception of rogue) after black flag was shit, but still
>>
>>340667419
never
ever
>>
File: well.jpg (160 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
well.jpg
160 KB, 1920x1080
>>340667419
How can someone have such shit taste as to lump BB and Dks2 in the same category.
>>
File: 702657911291896899.jpg (44 KB, 300x361) Image search: [Google]
702657911291896899.jpg
44 KB, 300x361
>>340667419
Dark Souls 2 is infinitely better than Dark Souls 3. DS3 has all of the former's problems, plus several of DeS but with none of the steps forward.

The lore is trash, the gameplay is uninnovative as fuck, the color pallete is nothing but brown and grey, it has fanservice no one asked for out of the wazoo and they actually had the audacity to promise DLC months ahead of time instead of delivering a complete game. You are a complete fucking moron if you think otherwise.
>>
>>340662508
what do you mean by this?
Armor stats have never been made more irrelevant than in BB, you can wear what you feel is the coolest, even professional autismo record-breaking speedrunners tend to wears whatever they feel like because the stat differences are so minute.
Even in DaS3 where armor matter slightly more (I would say it's the second game where armor matters the least of the whole franchise) anyone can wear anything below 70% weight and not find the game any harder.

The only thing that makes any noticeable diffence, and that most people chose to ignore anyway, is elemental defences, of which Hunter's set offers nothing special.

As for the weapons, once again, BB is the most balanced game where anything you use is viable with at best a handful of exceptions. I can't see how Hunter's Axe is any better than weapons you find later on.
>>
>>340668269
> just as BB is by those who can't play it

I can play Bloodborne and I have enjoyed it, but I'm not one to say it's flawless. A lot of OP's points do stand.
>>
Doom 4 was good. I enjoyed it a lot.

I know that's not what this thread is for, but I've had enough of complaining about vidya today. I just want to enjoy things.
>>
>>340667881
>castle-based
>castlevania
what?
>>
>>340662839
Agreed
>>
File: Cainhurst.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Cainhurst.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>340669362
>>340668365
>Need I remind you the title of the game?
>Bloodborne
>borne = carried by : spread by
>Blood = specifically Yharnam's Curch administrated blood. People went to this very place for this "treatment"

Location fits both game's titles.
More than that, BB has more location diversity, you do get out of the city. AND previous Castlevania games also went outside a castle, while SotN happens exclusively in one.

So if you use that excuse for SotN you also need to apply it to BB.
>>
With how big a reaction Undertale caused, I expected it'd be a game that was fun and good.

HAHA NOPE, MEME'D AGAIN, MY FRIEND!
>>
>>340664495
What did you expect? The creators were people who left TellTale to basically make a shittier game.
>>
u fuckin wot, m8, Bloodborne is gr8
>>
>>340666146
Shut up, this game is fantastic and it's a true dishonor that it wasn't released more widely due to snobby politicians wanting to censor the big bad game where you had to supposedly fug and kill lolita grills to win. They were full of shit and got their way, but the game is actually pretty good.

Would recommend an emulation of it.
>>
>>340667419
Not played Dark Souls 3 yet. Is it actually good?
>>
I was going to suggest the most recent SimCity but I don't know if anybody actually expected it to be good
>>
>>340671654
It's exactly what you would expect.

And that's my problem with it. So if you want more of the same and absolutely nothing more than that, you'll enjoy DaS3. If you want a thematic surprise mid-way through, or new gameplay in a meaningful manner, or not recycled ideas and assets, then don't buy it.
>>
>>340662508
>almost half of the game is delivered through monotonous chalice dungeons
You are borderline retarded if you thought the chalice dungeons actually make up even a quarter of the games content.
>>
>>340672195
I guess it's a good thing Hidetaki Miyazaki said it'll be the last game they make under the Dark Souls name. There'll probably be some spin offs like Bloodborne 2 or whatever, but I think it's best they put the series to rest while they still can, while it's still remembered fondly rather than a cash-in annual release.
>>
>>340672380
>I guess it's a good thing Hidetaki Miyazaki said it'll be the last game they make under the Dark Souls name.
Except he didn't say that.
>>
>>340668269
>just as BB is by those who can't play it.

Every time.

Every.
Single.
Time.

>Y-y-you just didn't play it!
>>
>>340668935
Dark Souls 2 is utter fucking shit
SM mechanic
>>
File: 1465593497075-1810058941.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
1465593497075-1810058941.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
MGS5 The Phantom Pain. This game is proof that not everything needs to be an "OMG OPEN WORLD GAME YOU CAN DO ANYTHING". Every location was a few villages with miles and miles of nothing, that you had to traverse. It felt so empty and boring. Not to mention the companions were severely OP. Quiet could remote snipe anyone while snake dicks around with a water pistol.
>>
File: Aaahhh.....jpg (69 KB, 680x900) Image search: [Google]
Aaahhh.....jpg
69 KB, 680x900
>>340673892
Factually impossible to not call BB a good game. Only way that happens is if he didn't play it and has a distain for it for whatever reason.

One can say it's not perfect, one can say it's not even great, but it certenaly is at the very least a good game (as opposed to bad, which is what he was implying)
>>
File: 2016-02-07_00019.jpg (360 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-07_00019.jpg
360 KB, 1920x1080
>>340663620
>Those climbing, leaping and landing animations
I never thought I could like some animations so much
Too bad the game is pretty lame except for graphics and customization
>>
>>340673892
Thats because most of the points made to criticize it are so fucking retarded that you just have to wonder if the idiot saying them has indeed played it.

Take OPs for example:

>Lack of variety within locations, most locations are city-based.
This is supposedly a bad thing, even though the result its an ultimately focused and explored setting. But no, you faggots want your games to be fucking theme parks with many different areas with barely any development.

And let me also point out how fucking hard the OP has to generalyze the setting for it to seem like a bad thing. City-based? You have Old Yharnam, Hemwick, Cainhurst, cathedral Ward, The nightmares, the forest,Byrgenwerth, Yhar' har gul, plus the chalice dungeons and the Hunters Dream. These are all different areas with different enemies and different themes.

> Many boss fights are simplistic, only two genuinely challenging bosses in the whole game.

As opposed to what? Dark Souls? Bloodborne bosses not only have more health and usually deal more damage thna the average souls boss, but theyre also faster, usually have two phases, have more moves, ect. Add in the DLC and OPs statement becomes laughable.

This is barely even worth mentioning, since BBs weapon selection are amongst the most balanced of the souls game, and as such youd have to make some very good points to convince me that whatever is the best weapon. Armor is meaningless in BB, so hes just wrong.

>Not enough boss fights, almost half of the game is delivered through monotonous chalice dungeons (some are worth doing, most are not.
Because more boss fights= better game right?

So, in summary, either you make a decent post explaining why you found BB flawed, or you fuck off. None of what OP said holds water.
>>
>>340675280
OP literally never said a disappointing game meant it was a bad game. Do you lack basic reading comprehension?
>>
File: bl.jpg (80 KB, 600x851) Image search: [Google]
bl.jpg
80 KB, 600x851
>>340676181
I wasn't replying to OP, though? I was responding to >>340668085

I guess it's you who lacks basic reading comprehension
>>
> all these Fromdrone salty over their game for babies sucking shit

Cry more, console plebs. Just because your Sony brony console only has one game doesn't mean that game is good.
>>
File: w-who is cutting onions..webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
w-who is cutting onions..webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>340677072
>Cry more
After you
>>
>>340667419
Swap ds2 with 3 and switch assistance with ok tier and you're good
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.