[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give your honest personal opinion of this game without mentioning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10
File: Undertale.png (43 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
Undertale.png
43 KB, 3840x2160
Give your honest personal opinion of this game without mentioning anything related to how it's been received by other people.

i.e. can't use words like "Overrated/Underrated" or make any observations about the quality of the fanbase effecting your experience of the game
>>
File: 1456334488429.png (341 KB, 540x608) Image search: [Google]
1456334488429.png
341 KB, 540x608
>>
I give it average to slightly above average

a 6/10 or something along that

Positives in my opinion:
>good music
>good combat system
>good character designs for the most part
>some humor is alright
>fun bosses and boss mechanics

Negatives:
>game is short
>the save/kill mechanic and the decisions that surround it are shit
>multiple endings are mostly pointless and stupid
>decisions are thrust upon you without any reason for you to care
>spiderboss serves no story purpose
>story overall is pretty bland/bad
>>
it's good
>>
I think its too slow paced but that's my personal opinion
>>
I liked it a lot, but it really needs more challenge
or at least a boss rush or something since it gets a little slow after Snowdin and I just want to play the half-decent fights
>>
>>340632139
Solid 7.0-8.0 game with a pretty good soundtrack and setting. Not a lot of character development ingame, most of that was done by fans taking what they can, but enough to like most of the cast.
Genocide route, best route.
chara is best grill
>>
>>340632139
I liked it. The music was great, the gameplay was okay, the characters were good.

the only thing I didn't like were the worthless RPG elements. It didn't matter whether you were maxed out or stayed level 1. The game didn't become easier or harder depending on your level.
>>
File: image.png (343 KB, 710x710) Image search: [Google]
image.png
343 KB, 710x710
I give it a 10/10 honestly
>>
Music is really good but the rest is just bad.
the characters are just spaghetti or anime and the story could have been way better.
Only memorable time is when you hear hope and dreams/SAVE the world for the first time.
>>
>>340632139
It was an okay game with a pretty un-utilized spare or kill mechanic that came down to bash your head against all the menu options til you spare them

it's like a 6.5/10 game with a 8.5/10 ending
>>
It's really just a selection of memes for a few hours and a semblance of trying to have a story, all combined together in a shittacular gamemaker project that feels like a few shitty pixel assets were thrown together with some built in garbage.

It's terrible.
>>
>>340632139
It was enjoyable, great music but not the masterpiece of an OST people made it out to be. 6/10
>>
Overrated.
>>
it was OK

Music was great, graphics were shit, story was way too pretentious at times and the characters are for the most part really one-dimensional. Gameplay served its purpose but was way too easy on both the Pacifist and Neutral routes. A 6.5/10, it was ok

>>340633335
I'm surprised there was no way to fuck yourself out of being able to mercy certain monsters. That would've added some much needed challenge.
>>
File: 1465509822592.png (116 KB, 242x377) Image search: [Google]
1465509822592.png
116 KB, 242x377
>>340632397
>>
Great game.

What's most impressive about it to me is that it has amazingly appropriate and fleshed out character responses for almost everything you could do in the game. Rarely ever can you "Trip up" the NPC's by acting outlandish, like you can in almost every other game.

I only wish that the game would better respond to a "Chad Run" (Don't actually kill anything, but act like a dick at every opportunity)
>>
It was okay

Cast is full of terrible people who get away without ever being called out on it

The set up for Asriel/Flowey is spread between the end of True Pacifist and the end of Genocide which is a mess
>>
The writing is really quite good when it's focused on the humor stuff; some of the best comedic timing I've seen in a game since Psychonauts. It sort of falls off a cliff a bit every time it tries to get "serious" though, playing up the "feels" aspect for the normie Tumblr crowd who like to comment on youtube videos about how much scenes made them cry everytiem. Whenever something like that happens in a story that's been 90% humorous, it always feels forced and emotionally manipulative.
>>
>>340632139
Good ideas,bland execution. For example tthe mercy system could have been good if it wasn't just black/white scenarios, you either spare everyone or become Hitler.
>neutral ending
Neutral ending is a cookie cutter epilogue in which you don't accomplish anything and clearly just a setup for the other two. The game could have been much more interesting if by sparing certain combination of characters you had different developments and epilogues.
>>
>>340633202
>It didn't matter whether you were maxed out or stayed level 1. The game didn't become easier or harder depending on your level.

Are you actually implying that level scaling is ever a good thing?
>>
>>340632139
I thought it was great fun and captivating, I especially liked how playing through again or restarting a section wouldn't be enough to erase a mistake you had made previous, that the fourth wall would be reminding you of your guilt, kinda like in Yume Miru Kusuri where, after finishing a girl's route and starting the game again to go after another, she'd get pretty upset with you that you'd do that after pledging your eternal love to her. When I had played the demo years back it seemed very sweet and fun, but hid a pretty chilling and disturbing side to it.

I "accidentally" killed Toriel in the demo the first time I played and I can still remember how terrible I felt.
>>
>>340635814
>The game could have been much more interesting if by sparing certain combination of characters you had different developments and epilogues.
They do kind of do that with the main cast, with your call from Sans. But really, the game is just wasted potential with pretty good ideas.
>>
Pros:
-Somewhat creative combat system even if it is just mashing two already existing systems together, I like the little spins they throw on it for boss fights.
-Above average soundtrack even though its chiptune
-A few genuinely interesting or creative characters
-I actually liked the death/new game mechanics even if they were kind of hamfisted in to the game

Cons:
-Its horrible excuse of a art style
-Uninteresting story
-Atrocious humor ruins moments of what could have been actually good writing or dialogue
-Many of the decisions you have to make have are given to you without any reason to care about what the outcome may be or who it may affect
>>
File: Chara.jpg (556 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Chara.jpg
556 KB, 1000x1000
>>340632139
Pretty much forces you to play to go the pacifist route for the "real" experience, basically defeating the purpose of having any other endings other than to just say "fuck you for not playing the right way." The preachy "non-violence" morals were pretty contradictory too since Asgore, Undyne, Alphys, and maybe Sans(?) more or less got away with murder/doing fucked up things.

All of that aside, it's an alright game. I enjoyed it, and I guess it was worth the $10. The music's definitely the best part about it.
>>
Overrated obviously, - but for what it is, it's very competently done.

It's also a literal "How To" guide for making a successful indie game.

Either it was a massive fluke or Toby Fox's time with the Homestuck community has granted him an almost arcane understanding of how you create a popular entity for the widest potential audience within a specific subculture.
>>
>>340632139
It was worth 10 bucks and a single playthrough. A cute game with fun characters and good music. It's not goty, but not as bad as the contrarians on here shitpost that it is. Probably a solid 7/10 just because it is so simple, but that's also part of its charm. I don't regret the purchase but I haven't played it since I finished the true pacifist ending. There really isn't any need to. Zero replayability.
>>
The music is nice and I'm not one to really care for game music. The gameplay is kinda bare bones and the characters fall flat for me.
>>
>>340632139
pretty good
>>
>>340632139
I like it a lot.
Great music, memorable characters, interesting gameplay, and as for the plot, yes it was stupid at times but I have no problem with that kind of absurdity/cheesiness so I was completely sucked in.
>>
the battle system itself is really well done, it's innovative and they play around with the concept a lot more than I expected.
sadly the battle graphics are lazy as fuck.

visually the game is a clusterfuck of clashing designs, colors, and artstyles. The bunny merchant in the first town is the most obvious example. Main character is an eyesore.

The music is mostly good. nothing amazing but well done and there's good variety to it.

Story was meh, characters were meh. If this game came out in 2009 it would have been insane and something extremely new and welcome, but I think the game just came too late to matter.
>>
>>>340632139
>Pretty much forces you to play to go the pacifist route for the "real" experience, basically defeating the purpose of having any other endings other than to just say "fuck you for not playing the right way."

Pretty much this, if it wasnt for a friend that forced me not to kill anything id probably not bother with doing it for pacifist again
It was comfy though. Music was outstanding. Worth $10
>>
Good. I wouldn't say it's forgettable but it certainly hasn't the lasting appeal of something with a richer and more expansive lore, which is bound to stagnate discussion, and we all know what happens once we reach that point: /vg/

I'm glad I spent time with it. Did a neutral run, then a full pacifist, had a good time overall and put it down since Genocide sounded really tedious. I just let a friend of mine who did the same except with Genocide instead of Pacifist tell me what it was about and viceversa, made for a good conversation.

It's a game you shelve after being done with it and stare at it fondly when you notice it, but not actually replay it after many years when you've almost forgotten all about it.
>>
Good game 8/10
Great game 10/10 if you take into account that the game fucked /v/ up for like 6 months after release with the massive amount of assmad it made
>>
File: 7kqIqjC.png (124 KB, 800x700) Image search: [Google]
7kqIqjC.png
124 KB, 800x700
I'll bite.

Pros:
> Sans and Papyrus have some of the funniest dialogue I've ever seen in a video game without being over-the-top absurd or strictly slapstick.
> The game's combat is bullet hell inspired, and Toby Fox makes it pretty clear that he knows how to make that shit work well. Right down to the perfectly tight controls and having your hitbox be way smaller than your sprite so you can actually dodge shit.
> I like the meta approach it takes to being evil and the precedent that the game sets with regard to your choices. It does the opposite of what most games that give the option of being evil do and makes you suffer consequences of your actions, and consequently the main characters only team up to help you if you really are a good guy. It also shits on the taken-for-granted RPG precedent of "murder anything that stands in your way". While none of that is really good game design in its own right, it's cool in a story-based game, especially one that breaks the fourth wall a lot.

Cons:
> It's pretty easy, especially compared to proper bullet hell games. The two actual genocide fights are hard, but Undyne's fight is 75% that pseudo-DDR gimmick and Sans gives up any pretense of being fair or fun and tries to fuck you in the ass. That said, Undyne's gimmick was actually a pretty fun one. I would've preferred more of a challenge, but the game's largely story-based so I'm guessing that was mostly intentional.
> Speaking of Sans, I know he was designed to be shitty to fight on purpose, i.e. throwing shit at you that'll do a huge chunk of your HP if not outright kill you and there's no way you're gonna see it coming without tanking it once. And it's a marathon. That doesn't make it any better when you're playing the only really difficult part of the game and kind of makes me not want to beat it. Kaizo Mario school of boss design.

Game's solid all around. I just figured I'd point out the opinion-based stuff.
>>
>>340632139
Really fun compared to most JRPGs since the shmup combat is naturally engaging and just difficult enough to kill you if you're sleeping on the job, it's short and varied enough to stay interesting the whole time, and each boss fight was great due to each of them introducing fresh gimmicks. It's not as good as great JRPGs are because it's not tactically interesting or deep, but it's a damn sight better than mediocre or shitty ones like half of the FFs, where I can just autopilot through the game and steamroll it.
>>
>>340632139
I actually really enjoyed the game up and into Snowdin. The characters were fun, the areas comfy, and it was enjoyable to find the alternate ways to calm someone out of a fight other than just beating them down. The apex was Papyrus doing his whole "You're blue now," because I honestly expected it to just be the usual blue=stop attacks.

It was alright once you got into Waterfall, but it started to feel like the effort that went into everything started to wane. The last moment that I enjoyed was Undyne doing the whole "fuck it I'm not expositioning shit" shtick, and then everything after that felt like a trudge.

Characters weren't as enjoyable to talk to and it didn't feel worth it to talk to the occasional few that appeared. Area design became much more simplistic and didn't feel like it had as much heart as the Ruins and Snowdin. Mettaton was fun, but other than that it was just a chore going through Hotlands and the Core. I didn't want to play the game to see what came next as much as I just wanted to see the big ending everyone was talking about.

I was first really disappointed with New Home, which wasn't explorable at all. Just a long straight line with monsters spouting exposition. Asgore was great, but they should have let the most dedicated talk him down. It was counter-intuitive despite him destroying MERCY and Flowey dropping hints, as Asgore didn't seem to be a bad guy overall.

Then the ending just trudged along. The Flowey fight was neat, but near-impossible to lose due as it practically got easier as you did worse. Despite being having knowledge from resets, the trigger for the Pacifist Ending is no reason on your part. Then the Asriel fight is literally impossible to lose and ruins the whole hype of the situation. It stopped feeling at a game at that point and just like someone telling a subpar story with horrendous dialogue.

All in all, 6/10. Strong start, but divebombs quick.
>>
>>340637042

Genocide isn't fun to play either, so you're not missing out at all. Only exception is Undyne the Undying, and that's one of literally two actual fights in the whole damn thing. Every other boss from the others runs just keels over and dies the instant you look at them funny, and Sans is the only other fight. You never fight him otherwise because he's that much of a bro.
>>
>>340635578
>Cast is full of terrible people who get away without ever being called out on it

Explain your reasoning here.

Toriel - Doesn't have any major flaws that desparately need to be "Called out"
Sans - Neither inherently good or bad, but the game is completely honest about this fact
Papyrus - Literally Jesus
Undyne - The game doesn't try and portray her as anything more than what she is: A hotheaded, but loyal and effective soldier who is devoted to serving the monster kingdom
Asgore - Doing what he has to do to give his kingdom hope, and on top of his wife leaving him because of it, he dies in literally every single timeline except a pacifist ending (A timeline in which he gets called out by literally every other character)
Alphys - Only character that could use some come-uppance
>>
cancer game. nice music and original combat system though.
>>
>>340637986
What exactly is cancer about it if you ignore the fanbase
>>
>>340637745
Genocide as a whole is completely unrewarding. From the end of the ruins onward, you just feel horrible and empty. It's not tearjerking or something, you just feel like shit. I'll admit that the two bosses were very hype and I felt satisfaction for a few seconds after beating them, but immediately after you're reminded that you're just an asshole.
And let's not talk about the ending... It ended up with me thinking "why the fuck did I do this again ?". So yeah, not worth playing.
>>
File: 1452602677150.jpg (432 KB, 608x4182) Image search: [Google]
1452602677150.jpg
432 KB, 608x4182
>>340637895
>Willingly lets children go to their deaths rather than confront her ex husband. When that plan fails, her backup is "try and force a child to kill me"
>Lazy dick
>That Spaghetti tho
>Tries and kills a child without remorse, or apology once you befriend her
>Too weak to admit to his people he was acting out of grief and rage when he said "I'm going to kill all humans", so he takes the longest, most painful route for everyone instead of either: A, telling the monsters he wasn't going to do it, B, going to the surface after he killed the first child
>>
>>340632139
Fun. Now fuck off with the undertale threads already. Why are you so obsessed with this?
>>
>>340638368
Fans of meme games are obsessed with being taken seriously. It's why you see threads like this warning people not to criticize the game for it's most pressing problem... the overbearing nature of the fanbase.
>>
>>340638880
>never go to the shitty parts of the internet
>never encounter the fanbase

So, how is this a problem with the game, again?
>>
It's alright.

Pros:
Really good music.
The fighting system is fun
Satisfying ending (pacifist)
Good characters
The messages you get when you go up to stuff in the overworld and press z on them was fun at times and gave me chuckles.
Fun fights.

Story is alright. It's not good but it works.
Kinda short, but I mean it was 10 dollars so whatever.

Cons:
It's soooooo easy. Unless you're playing Genocide, it's child's play. Asriel's fight doesn't even start from the beginning if you fail. It's the last boss fight and also one of the easiest fights in the game.
Some ways that you spare bosses (Toriel) are really fucking hard to figure out. I had to google how to do it because I couldn't figure out for the life of me.
If there's a certain character you don't like, you're going to have to sit with them through like 1/4 of the game.
Toriel is a fuckin' bitch.
Neutral and Pacifist is so easy on you that you can just run away from every non-boss you meet without even having to befriend them.
Muffet is crowbared in.
If you actually want a challenge, you have to grind your ass off for only 2 challenging fights. Toby was so lazy that he just made mettaton die in one hit. It may have been kinda funny at first, but I wanted more challenge, god damn it!

This may seem a bit negative but I think the game was above average, anyway.
>>
>>340638256
>Willingly lets children go to their deaths rather than confront her ex husband. When that plan fails, her backup is "try and force a child to kill me"
What's she supposed to do? Try and kill him? Do you not think there wasn't some confrontation between the two before she decided to leave? Asgore is obviously set in his ways, as the only character that can't actually be mercied.

>Lazy dick
He's not actually lazy. He has to act as the guardian of the realm in an infinite number of timelines, always having persistent knowledge of every one. Also he never does anything more dickish than "Banter"

>Tries and kills a child without remorse, or apology once you befriend her
The lives of the many outweigh the lives of a few

>Too weak to admit to his people he was acting out of grief and rage when he said "I'm going to kill all humans", so he takes the longest, most painful route for everyone instead of either: A, telling the monsters he wasn't going to do it, B, going to the surface after he killed the first child
And the game point this out. Asgore suffers and gets called out more than any other character because of it.
>>
>gameplay/combat is trash that gets old not even 20 minutes in
>if you choose not to fight its just choosing dialogue prompts and avoiding some bullets if you fail
>music is decent, nothing innovative/interesting
>Story is barely there and thank god it is because god damn its shit
>ass visuals that really shows what hundreds of thousands of dollars in kickstarter can afford you
>quality inconsistance in every corner
>half-assed characters with practically no depth to them other than what they dont tell you right away, annoying as fuck and they pretend you fucking love them all the way
>few funny writings here and there
>meta stuff is there just for the sake of being edgy, flowey in general is shallow as fuck as a villain (see above) and pacifist fight with him just goes full unexpected, unprecedented autism

overall 5/10 game glorified by people with no standards and shilling to high hell both on /v/ and game review score sites
>>
>>340639047
Because the only notable thing about the game is the fanbase. It really isn't that great. http://pastebin.com/f31AJx4J
>>
>>340639332
Talk to him. He crumples the moment she shows up in True Pacifist. He needed time to cool down from what happened to Chara and Asriel, and he did. Toriel wrote him off as a monster and locked herself away in the ruins like any emotionally mature adult would do.

Sans doesn't possess memories of alternate timelines. He only knows there's something wrong and that something in the Underground can fuck with time. That's why he's lazy, none of it matters. He only steps in at the last possible moment in Genocide because of it.

There's absolutely no reason to kill children when it's made clear human souls persist long after death. And there's no excuse for getting swept up in monster propaganda to the point you'd willingly murder a child to enable to genocide of people who don't even know you exist.

In a fit of irony, the person to call Asgore out is Toriel because she's a bitch who can't see her part in what he did
>>
It is total shit
>>
>>340639874
The correct answer is "It's not but I'm acting like it is because I'm autist who needs to bitch about fanbases I don't like"

Thanks for playing though. Maybe when the game automatically opens tumblr blogs on startup you'll have a point
>>
I really loved the music, cast, attention to detail in the narrative, and overall story. It's legitimately one of the funniest and most charming games I've played.

The battle system was so-so, I thought the way it integrated into the narrative/humour and how it reflected on the enemies you faced was very cool and creative but ultimately only a handful of fights were actually fun.

I think the visuals were good enough to do their job during story moments but the artwork for most of the out on the field areas was terrible.

Overall a pretty damn good game, I enjoyed my time with it a lot.
>>
>>340639910
>That's why he's lazy, none of it matters. He only steps in at the last possible moment in Genocide because of it.

I feel it should be added that Sans only steps in at the end because he senses that whatever you're about to do will end the timeline permanently instead of just resetting it. Otherwise he would have just sat around doing nothing and letting you kill everyone, presumably like he did with Flowey.
>>
Great game, has a lot of heart and love poured into it. Toby anticipated every whackass things the player might've tried and put in a response towards it. The music was fantastic and the characters loveable. Story was bretty gud; I'm a sucker for good fourth wall breakage.

Graphics were lacking in many places, some jokes were held onto for too long, Alphys a fucking shit, and it could have used more difficulty. Also a fast walk at least for the epilogue.

One of my favorite games, I'd give it an 8.5/10 objectively. Didn't have the best version of Megalovania even.
>>
File: 1446859370462.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446859370462.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Im looking for a free MMORPG that is preferably on steam that has good controls and fun game play any suggestions? Sci-fi elements would be nice but not necessary
>>
>>340640696
Star Trek Online? On-foot combat is very cookie cutter but the spaceship aspect of it is great fun.
>>
>>340639910
He gets called out by EVERYONE in the True Pacifist run, not just Toriel. Her alone wouldn't be enough to convince him, which is why you can't even trigger that ending until you commune with every character after their arc.

>Sans doesn't possess memories of alternate timelines. He only knows there's something wrong and that something in the Underground can fuck with time. That's why he's lazy, none of it matters. He only steps in at the last possible moment in Genocide because of it.
He is ALWAYS observing the Frisk/Chara more closely than anybody. He pretends to be much lazier than he actually is. He would have killed Frisk/Chara on the spot if not for his promise to Toriel.

He's never maliciously a dick either. Just harmless banter with his brother. He actually deeply cares more about Papyrus more than anybody in the world which you can see if you do a run where you ONLY kill Papyrus. He'll call you at the end and tell you that Toriel wants to see you again, but if he ever sees you come back to the kingdom, he'll murder you for killing Papyrus.

>There's absolutely no reason to kill children when it's made clear human souls persist long after death. And there's no excuse for getting swept up in monster propaganda to the point you'd willingly murder a child to enable to genocide of people who don't even know you exist.
Undyne is not a very smart person, and the game acknowledges that. She just follows orders.
>>
I think it's really good. I loved the gimmick with combat and it was fun trying to get through every encounter without hurting anybody. The writing was alright and it had a neat story though I don't think it's anything particularly special. The music is godlike, probably the best soundtrack in a game this gen. Overall I'd call it one of the best games of last year for sure. Probably number 4 (Yakuza 5 was just incredible and Splatoon/Rocket League were more fun due to how many hours of multiplayer I got out of them.)
>>
File: underjoy.png (365 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
underjoy.png
365 KB, 1000x800
>feel like an outcast because I didn't like the music

When it wasn't putting me to sleep, it was so cacophonic that it actively annoyed me as I was playing. I could only really stand Ghost Fight and Megalovania: I swear LISA has the better soundtrack, and that's composed of intentionally odd sounds mashed together.

Starbound's music has the same issue, and that's also made by Homestuck alumni.
>>
>>340636292
I don't remember the game ever feeling especially preachy about its message but that's probably just because I go full moralfag in any game that gives me the option so I was on the fast track for true pacifist the entire time.
>>
>>340640340
I consider that another meta moment, in that Toby suspected that Genocide would be the last route that the average player fulfilled, and that once they reach the ending they're done with the game, which means no resetting the timeline.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.