[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
System Shock 2 thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: systemshock2.jpg (39 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
systemshock2.jpg
39 KB, 460x215
>there are people on /v/ who dislike System Shock 2

What the fuck has happened to this board? Fucking underages ruin everything, I swear. Below are complaints I've heard about the game in the past week alone.

>hurrdurr it's aged like milk

Only if you're under 16, faggots.

>The graphics are bad.

First, no they're not. Second, there are graphics mods.

>Combat sucks

You aim at the enemy and press a button and they take damage. What other games share this 'sucky combat'? Oh right, every fucking FPS/TPS/Action-Combat game ever fucking made.

>The story is bad

How dare you.

>It's too hard

Then get fucking gud.
>>
File: deusvult.gif (688 KB, 664x714) Image search: [Google]
deusvult.gif
688 KB, 664x714
>mfw next they will start saying Deus Ex is bad.

Not on my watch.
>>
File: 2014-12-09_00003.jpg (308 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2014-12-09_00003.jpg
308 KB, 1920x1200
>>340278143
I don't understand any of those bashful claims.

I played the game for the first time just few years ago, as I was a total console-kid up until mid-00s, and SS2 blew my mind!

The atmosphere is great, the gameplay is super deep and varied, audio design rocks, and even art-style is well done and fits the overall feel of the game. Definitely beat the crap out of its prettier "sequel", Bioshock, which I'd played much earlier already, and I quite enjoyed that game too.

All in all, it was very eyes opening experience to realize how much I'd been missing out during 1990s, and how fucking streamlined and casual modern games can be in comparison.
>>
>>340278624
Good man.
>>
tries too hard to be an action shootan game
poorly thought out rpg systems and weapon tiers
its far too easy and the player is spoonfed pretty much the entire game
everything after leaving the von braun is pretty terrible
the original is much better even lacking the rpg aspects and mouselook (the only acceptable way to play it)
>>
File: 1438958970238.jpg (27 KB, 367x319) Image search: [Google]
1438958970238.jpg
27 KB, 367x319
The only complaint I've read on this board has to do with the ending.
And I love the ending.
>>
>>340279338
That ending was pure autism. Its like making a masterpiece of a painting and then taking a quick shit on it.
>>
>>340279497
Nah.
It's perfectly 90's horror movie type stuff.
I can see why people dislike it, but I think people take the game too seriously generally.
It's a fantastic game, and the horror is done excellently, but when you start paying attention to the amount of alcohol and chips you drink and eat ingame, it gets ridiculous.
The experience isn't ruined at all when you realise that's what you're dealing with.
>>
File: 1465208039796.jpg (198 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1465208039796.jpg
198 KB, 960x960
>>340278624
I played it for the first time a few weeks ago and while I had trouble with similar first person old games (thief, deus ex) I had a great experience overall.
Story was engaging, audiologs were interesting and a nice thing to listen while picking up loot, it was surprisingly immersive, I had a blast.

Graphics are terrible and I guess they weren't precisely good for its time but they're just enough to create a setting and the audio design is so good that it didn't need much else to create immersion, before playing it I didn't expect to have long playing sessions and I had a couple of sessions of 6 and 8 hours long which after that I was like "what the fuck I didn't notice".

I don't know why anyone would say the gameplay is bad aside of the inventory and rng on hacking. Combat is super simple and responsible enough, you just shoot and the game is not really that hard to be frustrating. With enough skill points to use the weapons and some Modification points, any gun is enough to kill anything.

Story and atmosphere were the biggest surprise for me, now I'm looking forward to play the first one whenever it goes on sale.

By the way at the end of this month the kickstarter for the SS1 remaster will start, they are redoing the entire game in Unity and looks pretty great so far, I think they even have people from the original project in the team.
>>
File: ss1.jpg (42 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ss1.jpg
42 KB, 400x300
>>340278143
System Shock 2 is the best game I've ever played

The story and the environments are amazing

My only complaint is for the part where they hype you about sex bots being a thing in the game

I've managed to open all the cabins and no fucking sex bots...

Are there any good custom campaign ?
>>
Things that are objectively bad in SS2:

>not a lot of replay value gameplay-wise (last time I tried a run without hacking and couldn't defeat Shodan)
>some weapons come into play too late and are too bad with too high requirements
>some skills are pretty useless (psionics and some technical)
>barely functioning buggy multiplayer

Nothing too major though. I have a friend that hated the game because he was confused by level design and didn't like weapons degradation (he fucking used a pistol on regular hybrids). He was about to drop the game when I suggeested playing in coop and it was a mistake. We skipped all the audio logs and it was so fucking buggy that we had to save the game before every map change and we got duplicated items (infinite healing).
>>
>>340280994

Holy shit that looks awful
>>
I'm a fan of the game but this thread is just fucking garbage.
>>
>>340278143
>the story is bad
People really say that? It's got very powerful undertones about transhumanism and man/machine or biological/mechanical relations, about how a machine can play god better than the best humans, etc.
>>
Why the fuck would you play SS2 when the first one is clearly superior in every single way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6EtVTPiZA
Go eat a bag of dicks OP you're the underage here you stupid faggot
>>
>>340280342
different guy but i played deus ex and hated it

picked up system shock 2 when it was like a dollar on steam and played through the whole thing in a couple days

atmosphere was great
>>
>>340283287
The first one truly is underrated. I beat it 2 times, with and without mouselook and enjoyed it like hell both times. Amazing level design and music. Fuck level 3 though, every time I struggle with the severed head. I was excited for the remake until they announced the Kikestarter. Hope it gets finished and we'll see cyberspace controls done right.
>>
>>340279338
>character is silent throughout the entire game
>says "Nah"
I thought it was funny
>>
System Shock 1 is better.

SS2 seems confused about its identity. On the one hand it presents itself as a horror game, yet when the monsters show up rocking techno music beings to play. It's also pretty sparse in content and the Rickenbacker section is poorly handled.

Still a great game, I think the issue is that people over-hype it.
>>
>>340281895
Graphics mods ar a disgrace for this game.
>>
>>340284308
Only the character models. Plants, weapons, biomass and some textures are a lot better than originals.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns

Discuss. I'm cautiously optimistic. Cautiously, though.
>>
>>340285258
One thing that's different from the original is an *obvious* horror-ish atmosphere. System Shock 1 kinda played it straight and didn't reach for that maybe except for level 3 where it's all dark, flickering lights, invisible mutants and scary ambient. It's hard to explain, it's like SS1 being kinda scary was a byproduct of the setting and the situation you found yourself in.
>>
File: 1465157673144.png (97 KB, 418x314) Image search: [Google]
1465157673144.png
97 KB, 418x314
if I liked 2, will I like 1?

I loved 2 to death but now that I've played through it 4 separate times I'd like to try the first one.
>>
>>340286443
Yes.
>>
>>340281612

Psionics is actually best if you want to play a melee character

I always max hacking and even then I never use it during the shodan fight since her humansonas are always chasing you during it,

I just horde ICEpicks and use them to instantly drop her shield during the fight
>>
>>340278143

>You aim at the enemy and press a button and they take damage. What other games share this 'sucky combat'? Oh right, every fucking FPS/TPS/Action-Combat game ever fucking made.

I love the shock series and adore SS2, but holy hell how do you think that's the only thing that affects a game's combat. the way enemies react to getting hit, gun recoil, all the sound effects and visual cues that go into it.

After thinking on it for a second, you'd have to be joking. There is no way you genuinely think that that's all there is to combat in a video-game, there's just no way. Especially if you can appreciate SS2, you couldn't possibly ignore any and all subtleties and nuances to an entire system in a game.
>>
There are plenty of things wrong with SS2. I still like it, but it has a lot of problems. I could understand someone disliking the game due to them.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.