[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get a comfy JRPG thread going? What are you guys playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 26
File: Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg (110 KB, 256x355) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg
110 KB, 256x355
Can we get a comfy JRPG thread going?

What are you guys playing lately?

I just started this gem recently and love it so far I'm kicking myself for not having played it sooner despite it's reputation

What Phantasy Star games should I also play after I'm finished with this one?
>>
>>340239623
1, 2, and 3, unless you're some casual FFfag who likes pointless melodrama more than laserguns.
>>
>>340239623

Been playing Suikoden 2, it's great.
>>
File: Growlanser II - Group 3.jpg (272 KB, 697x1000) Image search: [Google]
Growlanser II - Group 3.jpg
272 KB, 697x1000
Sure, I'm always up for a JRPG thread.

Phantasy Star IV is one of the best 16-bit JRPGs and is just a solid game overall, but the earlier games aren't quite as fun in my opinion. Phantasy Star I and II were both amazing for their time and if you're interested in JRPG history or if you just don't care too much about tactical combat or storytelling then definitely check them out. For PSI, download the re-translation and FM sound patches. The games still do have some good points; in particular, PSII had some great dungeons. PSIII had some cool ideas but was unfinished and unremarkable even upon release so you might want to skip that one. If you really like the Phantasy Star games there's also phantasy star gaiden and PSII text adventures.
I hope you can enjoy the series.

Anyways, I'm playing Growlanser II right now. I'm not sure if I should play totally blind or not. How hard is it to get good character endings on a blind playthrough and is there a specific route you recommend?
>>
File: skiesofarcadia.jpg (171 KB, 600x588) Image search: [Google]
skiesofarcadia.jpg
171 KB, 600x588
This was comfiest.
>>
>>340239623
For Phantasy Star games like it, the first two and maybe the third.

For anything else with Phantasy Star in the name, good old regular PSO (preferably Ep. 1&2). It's a massive departure from the classic formula, but it still stands higher than the future entries that tried to replicate its own.

If you want any other Phantasy Star games beyond that, give Phantasy Star Zero a try if you can. It's fairly short and the polygonal ceiling tends to get in the way, but it's much more of a refreshing breeze to play through than the alternatives.
>>
I've been on a mission to get into the SMT/Persona games and I've started with Digital Devil Saga

I just finished the first game and I'm going to play DDS2 but what Persona game should I start with I was thinking either 3:FES or 4
>>
>>340241219
I'd pay a lot of money for a sequel to this. Unfortunately when I tried to replay it, the encounter rate killed it for me.
>>
>>340239623
I'm playing Xenoblade on dolphin right now, Just got Dunban and he's already my favourite. looks to be shaping up to be a pretty GOAT game
>>
>>340242227
Play the Gamecube version, they cut the encounters plus added some extras.
>>
>>340241284
DDS1 and 2 together are probably my favourite JRPG. I'd recommend P3FES as your first Persona.
>>
>>340241284
>what Persona game should I start with
If you love JRPGs, start with Persona 1
If you like JRPGs, start with persona 2
If you dislike JRPGs, start with persona 3
If you hate JRPGs, start with persona 4
>>
>>340242370
Shit taste detected.
>>
File: 2B01jU2.gif (2 MB, 360x196) Image search: [Google]
2B01jU2.gif
2 MB, 360x196
>>340242646
Now that's just mean man
>>
>>340241284
3 to 4 is easier than 4 back to 3 for feature and pacing reasons. 1 and 2 can be played whenever basically.
>>
>>340239623
>What Phantasy Star games should I also play after I'm finished with this one?
2's okay but it will get on your nerves.
>>
>>340241284
If you wanna join in on discussion, go 3 then 4

1 and 2 are completely different beasts, so it doesn't matter when you play them, but do, because they're really good
>>
File: 1382079043823.jpg (76 KB, 208x225) Image search: [Google]
1382079043823.jpg
76 KB, 208x225
Dragon Quest is the most relaxing JRPG series for me.
>>
>>340240302
My personal favorite

Goddamn the PSX had so many good jrpgs
>>
Whatever happened to that JRPG general on /vg/?
>>
>>340245350
It died.

Apparently it got shitposted to death. I wouldn't quite know really since I stopped going there after a while.
>>
File: Ar_tonelico.jpg (48 KB, 256x370) Image search: [Google]
Ar_tonelico.jpg
48 KB, 256x370
I'm about 45 hours into Ar tonelico. Not sure whether to do Misha's route or start the second game once I'm done.
>>
I bought my first Etrian Odyssey game, it's pretty fun so far, I actually really like making maps, also those double FOE's are rough
>>
What specifically makes JRPGs fun for you?

Nowadays I only play a few and I specifically look for ones with well designed and well balanced combat systems so I can solve boss fights like puzzles. I used to love every sort of JRPG I came across, but I can't quite recapture whatever it was that made me love this genre.
>>
>>340239623
Playing Atelier Escha and Logy. I skip dialogue and just play the game. OST's great and just playing it feels comfy.
>>
Finish Trails of Coldsteel recently, Laura best girl. Think I'll go back to playing Digimon: Cyber Sluts and finish that up.

>>340245835
>Played 3
>Then played 2
Someday I'll play the first one.
>>
I've been playing a fan translation of Romancing Saga 1. It's pretty decent so far, though the stat building mechanic reminds me of FF2, and I disliked that mechanic, so... other than that, I'm enjoying it.
>>
>>340248110
Yeah that's kinda the idea.

FF2 is pretty much proto-saga because a lot of mechanics in that game would be used in the SaGa series.
>>
File: winhill_unused.png (535 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
winhill_unused.png
535 KB, 630x354
I've always found this game to be comfy as fuck. Comfy music, comfy towns and locations, I replay this at least twice a year.
>>
can't wait for persona 5.
>>
>>340250791
what game?
>>
Been playing The Last Story lately. it's pretty interesting. Combat is unique and the characters are all pretty lovable. The story is giving me mood whiplash though with how quickly it shifts between goofy slapstick and overblown melodrama. Just finsished the spoopy mansion. Looking forward to more good times.
>>
>>340251025
final fantasy 8
>>
>>340245835

Is this game good? I want to play it since it looks like a turn-based Legendia.

I'm also playing DQ8 which I'm having a lot of fun with. It's beautiful, the ost is top notch, the voice acting is charming and the battles are comfy.
>>
>>340251220

The Last Story is so underrated it's not even funny. I had such a good time playing that game. The battle system felt fresh for some reason. I don't remember much of the story, something about lizardmen wanting to take over the city? And if I recall, the soundtrack was well done.

>running up walls and slamming down on enemies

never got old.
>>
>>340242640
No
>>
>>340251932
>>340251220

Oh, forgot to mention. The online was fun as fuck when you had a lobby full of people to take down bosses.

>that spooky mansion level

probably the best level in the game, it's a shame some people never saw it since it's a secret.
>>
File: Ni-No-Kuni-Town.jpg (300 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Ni-No-Kuni-Town.jpg
300 KB, 1280x720
really now nobody mentioned this yet
>>
>>340250791

Agreed.

Almost every town you visit is super comfy and the music's the cherry on the top.
>>
File: specs1.png (18 KB, 506x397) Image search: [Google]
specs1.png
18 KB, 506x397
I just finished Tales of Vesperia and thought it was pretty good

Want to play another tales of game but don't have any platforms besides my toaster PC and a 360

Should I try Tales of Zestria or do you think my computer could handle emulating Tales of the Abyss?
>>
>>340241219
Shame the encounter rate and battles grind everything to a halt.

Love the world and the ships in that game, discovering secrets and plotting the map.
>>
>>340242370
Shit game senpai
>>
>>340252169

Why don't you play Symphonia?
>>
>>340252169
Yeah you can emulate it good enough
>>
>>340251734
>>340245835

My bad. I was thinking of Atelier Iris.
>>
>>340252169
You might as well try Abyss. In any case Zestiria isn't worth playing at all. Get a PS3 if you really like the series, but be warned that all the newer games are a step down from Vesperia in several ways. Abyss and Symphonia are the only ones really similar to it and both are less polished (though personally I liked Abyss even more than Vesperia for several reasons).
>>
File: 1456884413038.jpg (51 KB, 369x369) Image search: [Google]
1456884413038.jpg
51 KB, 369x369
>>340239623
>you will never play Phantasy Star Universe again
>>
>>340251932
The last story was great, it's a shame so many people missed it.
Some really cool moments in the story.
>>
File: breath of fire 4.jpg (97 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
breath of fire 4.jpg
97 KB, 960x540
>>340239623
I was going to start this game and that other tacticsed based RPG on the Genesis souly because I've never played an RPG on the Genesis, glad to hear it's good though.

Beyond that I found BoF4 pretty comfy overall. The soundtrack and washed out colors make everything feel rather relaxed.
>>
>>340252363
didn't even know about it desu I'm pretty new to this series obviously
>>340252384
>>340252462
guess I'll go for emulating Abyss then but what exactly is wrong with the newer ones aren't they pretty much all the same combat wise?

are the stories just that bad?
>>
>>340252074
Yeah, I had heard bad things about it but I was still interested in giving it a go. Glad I gave it a chance. I really like the fact that you are given so many options with armor and customizing the characters to your liking. I also appreciate that battles give you a chance to scope out enemy placement and types before you engage so you can come up with tactics or even use stealth and kiting techs as options. However, the best part has to be the bosses. Each are pretty unique and offer up some unique gimmick. Lobbing bombs into the T-rexs mouth, alternating between fight and flight against a vampire, stabbing a dizzy turtle. IT's all too good.
>>
I finished chrono trigger last night. That final boss was pretty intense. Looking for a new rpg to play on my ds.
>>
>>340242565
Is DDS1 worth playing if you've only ever played DDS2?

Also I emulated SMT Nocturne and I really loved that game. The art styled mixed with that combat system really make it for me.
>>
I've got Xenoblade Chronicles, Bravely Default, and Final Fantasy XII on my backlog. How would you guys rank them in terms of what should be my priority?
>>
>>340252549
>tacticsed based RPG on the Genesis
Langrisser II?
>>
>>340252363
Not him but the PC port is a new level of incompetent for Bamco. It's full of shitty technical issues and the fucking internal resolution is locked at 720p. There's a fan patch but I'm not sure how much of the bullshit it fixes. He's better off emulating the GC version.
>>
>>340252075
he said comfy not boring.
>>
>>340252657
CT is great. Have you tried radiant historia? I enjoyed that for the DS and it also features time travel (sort of) as a gimmick.
>>
>>340240462
I recall you have to do something special to get the blue haired chick? Or maybe it was chance sometimes.
>>
File: popfulmail_art_03.gif (38 KB, 400x640) Image search: [Google]
popfulmail_art_03.gif
38 KB, 400x640
I am trying to make my way through Phantasy Star 1 right now. It's slow going because dungeons are tricky, and combat is slow because you can't target enemies. I'm enjoying it, but I am wondering if I will be able to finish it before moving on to another game in the series, like II or IV.

I'm on-and-off playing Popful Mail on the PC Engine. It's different than the excellent Sega-CD port (which is the only version in English), but it has a lot of charm. It's a shame that I can't understand the story, but the broad strokes are there and I only need a faq now and then to figure out how to trigger the next progression bloc.
>>
>>340252631
Xillia 1 has very little content and what content it has is very rushed and bland. The story is uninteresting and the combat feels unfinished. Xillia 2 is better at everything but it also reuses locations heavily and has its own issues. Combat is great but overall it's hard to recommend either of the Xillias unless you know you're not getting a stellar game.
Graces f is just a very, very bad game. The combat is wildly different from Vesperia's and it is good, but it's the only good thing about the game and even it has its issues. I'm not exaggerating here. The story and writing in general isn't "so bad it's good", it's just just so bad it's hard to watch any cutscene in the game without cringing. The English voice acting is some of the worst VA work I have heard in a game and again, it's not bad in a comical way, it's bad in an awful why-am-I-still-playing-this way. The game is ugly. The characters are absolutely intolerably bad.
>>
File: Phantasy Star-1.png (6 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Phantasy Star-1.png
6 KB, 256x192
>>340239623
Am I the only one who liked Phantasy Star 1 the best? I love the way it mixes the open-world and dungeon crawling of WRPGs with a more JRPG inspired battles and story.

I love the story of PSIV but it doesn't really do anything mechanically that hasn't been done better in other games.
>>
File: S2_parade_prisoners_princess.jpg (88 KB, 638x434) Image search: [Google]
S2_parade_prisoners_princess.jpg
88 KB, 638x434
>>340240302
>Suikoden 2
my nigga
>>
GOD TIER:
>I use these characters because I like them

GREAT TIER:
>I use these characters because they're sexy

DECENT TIER:
>I use these characters because their skills are fun

SHIT TIER:
>I use these characters because they're the best
>>
>>340254073
but everything below god tier is just reasons why people would like them
>>
>>340253252
Other than Richard, I thought the voice acting in Graces was pretty average. Better than English Milla, at least.
>>
Give me your guys' top 5 PSX jrpgs
>>
>>340253950
Not a huge JRPG buff by any means, but I played this for the first time on the Sonic Genesis Collection and immediately fell in love. I still like the other ones, but this one really just hits the spot for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmb3omyhgQ8
>>
>>340255739
>not the FM soundtrack
>>
>>340255980
Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8E77HY6KLc

Personally, I prefer the original.
>>
>>340245835
Play Misha's route first to get the complete picture of the game's story. Don't bother playing AT2 if you're not going to use the fan relocalization patch, as the game is horribly translated and bugged to no end thanks to NISA.

Also, you'd have to check some drama CDs and read a light novel (and three interactive webnovels) to get the full gist of everything that went on in Sol Ciel prior to AT2.
>>
>>340253950
Comfy my ass. The original Phantasy Star series is dystopian as fuck.
>>
>>340256531
1st one wasn't so bad in terms of that.
Rest is pretty depressing, yeah. Even PSIII has this weird foreboding atmosphere the whole time.
>>
Been playing Shin Megami Tensei IV, but it sure as hell isn't comfy.
>>
Been playing Suikoden recently, already around 2 hours in. It's fun, still waiting for it to get to a point where I feel like I want to continue because it's fun, not because it will become fun.

Rouge Galaxy as well, already 11 hours in and beaten the 6th chapter I think. Fuck that Deego and Gale fight though, 10 minutes of just standing there blocking, and attacking when he taunts which takes away 3% of his health bar, and if you die you have to go all the way back to the PREVIOUS boss fight. Luckily it only took me two tries.

Probably going to start the first Final Fantasy over summer just so I can get into the series, I know you don't have to start on 1, but I'd like to see the series evolve through each game, rather than just playing from 4 onwards, or whatever people say to do.

>>340241219

10/10 game, anon. My favourite game of all time too. Encounter rate and battles (plus PAL version) made the game super fucking slow, but I still love it to death.
>>
>>340255727
1. Xenogears
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Suikoden II
4. Star Ocean 2
5. Grandia
>>
>>340255727
Langrisser iv&v
front mission 2
growlanser
persona 2
tear ring saga
>>
>>340239623
I literally just finished PSIV for the first time. Dem cutscenes.

>>340252657
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross can both be comfy.

>>340252549
All four BoFs are.

>>340252169
Why not Phantasia? It's certainly the comfiest Tales. And one of the best. Emulate the PSX version with the fan translation.
Abyss is also great, especially with the undub patch.

Also, some FFs, especially 8 and 9.
>>
>>340257365
I just started Suikoden and I'm not really in love with the art style or perspective. I'll definitly give it a shot considering the praise it catches but it's not really pulling me in as hard as BoF4 initially did.

>>340258842
Like all of these games are on my backlog. I never got into RPGs as a kid and now I'm starting to kid them, but goddamn does the PSX have a fucking plethora of solid RPGs.
>>
>>340239623
I started playing that one years ago on emulators but I recall it having some kind of freeze issues past a point so I dropped it.
Now I'd love to play on my good old console but prices are through the roof, seriously considering getting an everdrive to play this and other ridiculously priced games.

>>340252509
Search for "Clementine PSU", still green but we can only hope for advances.

>pspo2i translation will never be done
>they will keep teasing with screenshots and videos forever
>>
>>340252509
Good riddance.
>>
File: gsdx_20160530173407.jpg (319 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
gsdx_20160530173407.jpg
319 KB, 1600x900
Finished the Digital Devil Saga duology, liked the first one better since it had a lot of mystery for the characters and the world. DDS1 is right up there with Nocturne on my books, not sure which one I enjoyed more since they're pretty different.
>>
>>340265865
I really didn't care for the direction DDS2 took the story. Everything felt a bit too silly.
>>
>>340257365
There's just something about skies of Arcadia that was incredibly comfy. Didn't hurt that they really nailed the concept of ships in the sky. I really should go back and finish it.
>>
>>340252810
I've not tried that I'll look into it thanks.

I think lavos might be one of my favourite end bosses. A world eating tick.
>>
File: gsdx_20160531172255.jpg (283 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
gsdx_20160531172255.jpg
283 KB, 1600x900
>>340267245
Yes, I agree. Also, what other games let me play as a hermaphrodite?
>>
>>340248070
I just finished Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel back-to-back
>>
>>340250791
Are you me
>>
>>340239623
>What Phantasy Star games should I also play after I'm finished with this one?
The first one, be sure to use the SMSPower retranslation and have FM music enabled. It enhances the experience significantly.

2's a slog with a few great moments. 3 also has it's moments but plenty more problems. Skip PS Gaiden unless you're a completionist/masochist. As for the text adventures, yeah whatever. Leave 'em for last if at all.
>>
Where is Phantasy Star V
>>
>>340253030
> but I am wondering if I will be able to finish it
It doesn't take all that long really, as long as you don't miss any hints and are left with no clue where to go forever. You can do it!

>>340253950
>Am I the only one who liked Phantasy Star 1 the best?
While 4's presentation ultimately wins me over 1 isn't too far behind. It's the only game where you get to explore 3 full planets, and them dungeons man. I love every pixel of it.

>>340256080
FM is the original, m8.
>>
>>340254180
I think the meaning is fairly clear. God tier is 'I use the characters whose designs/voices and personality I enjoy'. Having the best stats and attacks is not on the same level as just being cool.
>>
File: feelsbadnuman1.jpg (7 KB, 114x165) Image search: [Google]
feelsbadnuman1.jpg
7 KB, 114x165
>>340268243
Never ever. Feels bad Numan.
>>
there is a /vg/ thread for your kind
>>
>>340269121
/vg/ shouldn't even exist.
>>
>>340258842
Replace Xenogears with Breath of Fire 3 and you have my list.
>>
>>340252075
Because it's shit.
>>
File: giphy-1.gif (20 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
giphy-1.gif
20 KB, 320x224
>>340239623
If you aren't paying the room gack for hellmode or purgatory mode, you're a huge faggot and should leave /v/ forever.
>>
File: dumb-americans1.jpg (40 KB, 470x315) Image search: [Google]
dumb-americans1.jpg
40 KB, 470x315
>>340269121
>Discussing a favorite JRPG thread is now a /vg/ thread and not a staple of classic /v/, let having 20+ Overwatch threads at once is fine too.

God damnit I hate it when the American's wake-up. They try to fuck the entire board up.
>>
>>340269121

Which one?
>>
>>340248110
Because the same guy that was mainly behind Final Fantasy II is behind almost the entire SaGa series outside of Final Fantasy Legend III.

Though you should have played the PS2 remake instead of the fan translation.
>>
>>340269121
/jrpgg/ has been dead for a long time.
>>
File: 1460845005273.jpg (890 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1460845005273.jpg
890 KB, 1600x1200
>>340247534
Unique mechanics. Some of my favorite JRPG's have differing mechanics when it comes to progression, character growth, what you are capable of doing on the field, and battle mechanics.

The tried and true standard mechanics eventually bore me.
>>
File: Fanbook p06.jpg (659 KB, 690x1000) Image search: [Google]
Fanbook p06.jpg
659 KB, 690x1000
>>340269063

There kind-of was if you count drama CDs.
>>
>>340271958
Spinoffs in a different media can bever scratch the same itch.
>>
>>340252075
>People still trying to push NNK
It was boring as fuck. The only way it actually sold anything was because of the Ghibli connection. And even then, it sold like shit in Japan.
>>
>>340239623
Conception 2, gotta make dem babies
>>
>>340271546
That wall almost isn't wide enough.
>>
File: o5xr7xqnlf6tjf0yvztx.jpg (174 KB, 800x984) Image search: [Google]
o5xr7xqnlf6tjf0yvztx.jpg
174 KB, 800x984
Persona 5 confirmed for western release on Feb 2017!
>>
>>340265865
Personally, DDS1 bore me a bit at times and I didn't really cared for anyone besides Gale. Also, cliffhanger ending.
DDS2 was a lot more emotional.
>>
>>340242640
More like
>If you are a masochist contrarian, play Persona 1
>If you like plot in vidya, watch Persona 2. Never play that shit game.
>If you are an emo faggot, play Persona 3
>If you are a dudebro or a lonely neckbeard faggot, play Persona 4
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.