[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will yearly console upgrades kill or save console gaming? Consoles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: hall.jpg (43 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
hall.jpg
43 KB, 640x360
Will yearly console upgrades kill or save console gaming?

Consoles are the only tech that doesn't upgrade yearly.
>>
There's really no point in having a console anymore
Devs won't bother to optimize for the older versions of consoles, you should just buy the new one :^)
>>
I highly doubt yearly upgrades would be worth the R&R. It'll be once every 3-5 years. And I doubt there will be more than one major revision every generation either. Like it'll go X console -> X console slim (just a hardware revision, exact same performance/software) -> X console.5 (supports better graphics, but all games have to be backwards compatible) (possible released at the same time as the slim version with the slim version being kept around as a budget option) -> X console.5 slim (end of life for this generation, will be kept around for a few years like the last 360 and PS3 revision as a super budget option).
>>
Some one tell me if this code works

8QC6D-M35HC-ZAXFN
>>
>>339913297
Shit, I meant R&D.
>>
>>339913019
>Yearly

Doubt it. Every 5 years would be ideal given each console is relatively powerful on release. Kind of like the 360 was in 2005.
>>
It will be adopted by the same mouthbreathing retards that buy a new iPhone every six months. The assholes that buy Call of Duty and a season pass every year will buy a new Xbor or Playstation with it as well. If just 10 million people start doing this, it will be worth it for Sony and Microsoft to dick over the people in their fanbase with actual brains.

Meanwhile, people like you and me will move to retro gaming because fuck getting extorted for vidya. Yeah, we will never play multiplayer again, oh well.
>>
Aren't the PS Neo and Xbox Scorpio just adding 4k support?

It's not like they're PS5 and Xbox 4.
>>
EV3DH-YHJ8A-9CTAP
6P56M-X8IQX-FP3LB
EJQZX-47BPR-ATLF6
G2XH7-PGH2K-CZY05
>>
File: 1452598524903.jpg (83 KB, 640x615) Image search: [Google]
1452598524903.jpg
83 KB, 640x615
>>339913541
>each console is relatively powerful on release
They really fucked that up this gen, though.
Strongest console is a fucking 7850 get the fuck out of here.
>>
I hope incremental generations don't become the norm
>>
>>339913668
The Neo is more of an upgraded PS4 from what I gather. Mainly for the purposes of Sony wanting to push their new VR. The Scorpio seems like a much bigger leap however, if the numbers are to be believed that is.
>>
>>339913019
>Consoles are the only tech that doesn't upgrade yearly.

Video games are hard to make and depending on what games you're making it might take years of development. Vidya Devs need stable platforms we aren't talking about peepee mobile garbage here.

Let's see what really happens if they want to try this bullshit it's not going to be pretty
>>
>>339913741
This Gen was victim of the older gen holding it back. Soo many games are specifically double console.
>>
I'm sure that game developers and publishers will be more than happy to optimize their games for 6 or more platforms.
>>
>>339913735

Uh, thanks. I was a greedy Jew and took 3. Would've taken all of them if the 2nd wasn't taken.

These games looks like shit tho tbqh
>>
>>339913668
Given that it's hard for mid range PCs to run games at 4k, I highly doubt the updated consoles will be for 4k gaming. Theyll be for 1080p gaming at higher graphics settings/frame rates, and the 4k will be for video content like 4k blue rays and streaming video.
>>
>>339914029
That has absolutely nothing to do with new gen's hardware
>>
>>339913841
>tfw it's just a 7979ghz/280x instead of a 7850
>runs at 1440p upscaled to 4k
>>
>>339913741
...and? The PS3 had 256 megabytes of RAM, didn't stop it from running everything under the sun for an entire decade.

Somehow PC gamers always seem to forget just how consoles work and why people prefer them.
>>
>>339913868
Oh, indie development on consoles is gonna' go down the toilet. Small scale devs won't have the money to optimize their games for multiple versions of the same platform.
>>
>>339913019
Console upgrades have never worked in the past despite both Sony and Nintendo trying them out.
>PSP2k,3k, and Go all had improved specs from the 1k version.
>New 3ds has improved specs
>Game developers don't leave out potential customers by making their games work on all the models
>>
Probably not.

On the other hand this is good news for pc users. Parity won't be a thing with them releasing new models every 2-3 years.

>>339914352

Well the xbox is using UWP most likely as well windows so that's 2 birds with one stone
>>
>>339914257
How does that have anything to do with what we were discussing? The PS4 was not relatively powerful compared to contemporary hardware. It's decidedly weak.

>le pee cee gamyr
Idort, I own a PS4, looking forward to Nioh.
>>
>>339914960
I don't know what you are talking anout, the PS4 is a monstrously powerful machine. There will be nothing on the PC a PS4 (yes, even a base model PS4) won't be able to run for a looooong time. Yes, even Star Citizen.
>>
File: best bricks in gaming.jpg (208 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
best bricks in gaming.jpg
208 KB, 1920x1080
>>339915193
You need to work on your bait senpai
>>
>>339915360
It's okay Anon, everybody loses to me.
>>
>>339913641
>getting extorted for vidya

yes spending money for goods and services sure is extortion
>>
>>339914257
>what is a Steam Link
>what is an Nvidia Shield
>>
>>339915193
>2011 hardware
>monstrously powerful
pls
>>
>>339913019
why would they do this...not having annual incremental upgrades was literally the only thing that made consoles anything more than shitty PCs
>>
>>339913372
I thought you meant Research and Resources first desu..
>>
>>339919394
Consoles lost all advantages over this and last gen.
Its pretty disgusting how quickly it happened.
>>
>>339919394
>why would they do this..

NX is coming out with much stronger hardware

Sony is likely doing it since the base model is shit for psvr and they invested too much into it

MS got tired of the 900p memes I guess and can't fall behind in terms of power
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.