[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your own opinion, what makes a quest "good" in videogames?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1457063493104.png (1 KB, 120x135) Image search: [Google]
1457063493104.png
1 KB, 120x135
In your own opinion, what makes a quest "good" in videogames?

Obviously no fetch quests or "go here, kill this, come back."

I understand that the story and meaning behind the quest is a major component, but what about objectives in terms of game play?
>>
File: DiddyWinky.png (314 KB, 555x651) Image search: [Google]
DiddyWinky.png
314 KB, 555x651
bmup
>>
>>339691039
Under the requested parameters a "good quest" to me is one that requires the core gameplay of the game but with a quirk to make it more challenging or distinguished. So, for example, in a shooter the quest would involve shooting but perhaps would require that you target sub-optimal hitboxes like... when normally you want to just shoot the head maybe there is a quest that requires you to play while shooting the leg instead. That would presumably be more challenging as you have been conditioned to shoot the head for most of the game, and also because presumably hitting the head does increased damage so shooting only legs then reduces your damage output too. An example of the more "distinguished" type as opposed to the more challenging type would be a quest where you don't have extra requirements but the enemies have something unique about them like they are giant or explode into fireworks when you shoot their heads off, etc. Or maybe a quest where you revisit a familiar scenario only you are on the other side of the conflict and are now allied with the enemies you would have normally killed there.

Gameplay shake-up helps keep things fresh and also helps distinguish a quest from regular progression. Of course, I would also hope that it has some sort of lore reward, tangible benefit reward, or subtle impact on the main story for either completing or ignoring it, but that's not really what you were asking about.

A good quest can also be completely different gameplay than the core gameplay but it had better be fucking good, don't give me any more fucking reskinned card games or puzzle games. Except maybe as a crafting system...
>>
>>339692018
Good points. I agree with most of them.

>Of course, I would also hope that it has some sort of lore reward, tangible benefit reward, or subtle impact on the main story for either completing or ignoring it, but that's not really what you were asking about.

This is in the same vein though. I'm just hamming up ideas for a videogame and it had me thinking what would constitute a good quest.

I personally think that they should impact the story and the game in some way, no matter how small.
>>
>>339691039
in the very first Dragonquest early in the game there is a quest to rescue the princess, which by itself is fairly banal, but it leads to further development of the overall story and lore of the world in a way that a simple fetch quest wouldn't while also playing off of a popular game trope in a way that doesn't insult the player's intelligence. I liked that.
>>
>>339692018
what a fucking idiot boring nothing answer
>>
>>339692645
Well like you said, no boring shit like fetch quests unless the entire game is about fetching shit.

In an RPG you still do shit in the RPG's systems like whatever combat, social, and crafting systems are featured in the RPG but you do it DIFFERENT than normal. Do you normally run around with a pseudo turn-based combat system? Do that, only hey you can only use fire and then kick the enemies into a structure you must destroy when they explode. Do you normally play a little rhythm game while crafting? Do that only now it's DDR instead of Guitar Hero. Do you normally give gifts to NPCs to make them friendlier? Do that only now you have to figure out what they hate to appease a different NPC.
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 832x690
A good quest makes you feel like you're exploring a part of the world that you haven't before. It has an interesting or unique reward. I think the best handling of quests comes from games like Final Fantasy Tactics and even Monster Hunter, which is basically a long series of boss fights. But each time you encounter a new creature, there is a whole sense of mystery surrounding how it acts, how you're going to kill the thing, and what weapons or rewards killing the thing will bring you. The fact that Monster Hunter is able to create all of these questions is what creates constant intrigue and a really fun, quality game.

Likewise Final Fantasy Tactics had some great unique quests that ended in recruiting a new character or unlocking a new class. Oftentimes they were at the ends of long questchains. Final Fantasy Tactics is an example of doing quest rewards well and creating intrigue through having exciting rewards. I'm stoned right now.
>>
>>339692880
That sounds awesome. I also really like the idea of one quest branching off to other quests that have a similar goal or story.

>>339693040
I see. Most people are saying deviation from the core mechanics while still including them in some way. I like this idea.

>>339693346
Great points. I do like the mystery and the feeling of ignorance when faced with a new enemy. It makes you feel hopeless at first, but once you overcome and figure it out you feel great.

>I'm stoned right now.
I'll meet you there, buddy.
>>
>>339691039
quality of game increases exponentially as you continue playing it, to the point where you thought it peaked, but it surpasses all expectations and keeps getting better.
>>
>>339693346
I don't care about your text, but I like this frog image, it's one of the few frog images with any merit.
>>
>>339693991
way to be super vague
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.