[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FPS tier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Unreal_Tournament_box.jpg (136 KB, 591x591) Image search: [Google]
Unreal_Tournament_box.jpg
136 KB, 591x591
Question for those of you who were active FPS players in the late 90's and early 00's.
How was Unreal Tournament looks at compared to,
Tribes
CS 1.6
Quake 3 arena
Was it looked at as casual wank? Did people even care or rank games like that back then? I played them all but was to young to give a shit.
>>
I think UT99 looked better than all of them. Depends what device driver you used, and what your .ini was but yeah, easily best looking game. Still looks decent nowadays.
>>
>>339553335
I dont know how it "looked" back then but I absolutely loved it. The best fps I ever played. Matches were fast-paced, weapons and maps interesting and I loved that you could enable complete control over your character while in air. Spent 80% of the time airborne. Compared to it, the movements in 03 were too sluggish for my taste.

As far as the other games are concerned:
Tribes - never heard of it.
CS 1.6 - not compatible. CS was something you used to play in a gaming cafe, not by yourself. Something more slow and tactical and less rampage-y.
Quake 3 - I liked Quake, but I dont know. Just didnt find it as fun. Hard to tell why, but I think it all boils down to movement. Always felt that quake was more about aiming and less about dodging, if that makes any sense.
>>
File: 1399237519041.png (136 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1399237519041.png
136 KB, 250x250
>>339554345
>Tribes - never heard of it.
>>
>>339554345

>tribes
>never heard of it

KILL
YO
SELF
SENPAI
>>
Both UT and Q3 were considered highly skilled games, there was a huge rivalry between Q3 and UT claiming their shooter was more superior but the amount of total players paled in comparison to CS 1.6

CS 1,6 was considered the CoD of the early 00's by Q3/UT players and they would set their differences aside to shit on that game instead.

UT was more beloved by the press being awarded numerous Goty awards.
>>
Counter Strike 1.6 was actually considered to be the casual, shit FPS title that only kids in third world countries played back then
>>
Graphics didn't really matter back then, it was all about that gameplay. Sure, good graphics were nice, but they weren't first priority like they are now.
>>
>>339555394
I now realise that he was talking about how they were thought of, not how they actually looked. Yeah, CS was the casual shit back then, not UT.
>>
>>339554345
>Tribes - never heard of it.

I kinda want to fight you now.
>>
>>339554345
don't worry, tribes sucks
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.