[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are we stuck in the same style of game when it comes to MMOs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 20
File: 159745.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
159745.jpg
228 KB, 1920x1080
Why are we stuck in the same style of game when it comes to MMOs?

>Create character
>Pick class
>Quest until max level
>End game is dungeon running and raids

Everyone's been dying for a Pokemon MMO. Why doesn't someone make it? You don't need the pokemon license, just make your own monsters and methods of capture/battle.

Someone could probably pull off an Elder Scrolls style MMO.

>First person only
>Limited different armors with two or three "Best" Armors in both light/heavy categories.
>Main goal of the game is to just roam around and delve into ruins/caves.
>Level your ability to use different weapons, armors, and non-combat skills simply by using them.
>No real end-game, just making copies of whatever you feel is the best armor/gear and giving it different enchantments while continuing to roam around and explore the world collecting things to put in your house.

MMOs have huge potential. We have the tech to pull off a shit load more than we've trying to pull off now.

Planetside 2 is the only MMO I know of that has actually tried something new with the genre, but the gunplay is shit.
>>
The next big MMOs are probably the FPSMMOs.

Like Destiny but not so shitty and shallow and real open world.

It's a big risk with these games and they take a lot of time and money to make.
>>
>>339455135
Lots of people shit on Reki Kawahara, author of Sword Art Online, for how the MMO that was the setting of that LN was structured, but i think, with some tweaks, it would make a unique experience that would be much different than the current cookie cutter experience.

Basically, it would work like this;
On release, everyone is level one (obviously). Then, everyone progresses through floors together, clearing quests, killing monsters etc. Then everyone groups up at the end to eliminate the boss and continue on to the next, harder floor, and so on.

It would take some serious work to iron out the issues with gameplay like this, but I think it might be worth a shot.
>>
if somebody made a competent action rpg mmo it would be good.

A game where level ups were useful but not mandatory, because skill alone was what mattered.

this is what I found interesting about sword-art online.

until somebody can make a competent mmo based on actual dodge mechanics and action mechanics rather than shitty aoe based combat or tab targetting gameplay, mmos will be garbage.

I still like FF14 though
>>
Singleplayer content in MMOs usually sucks dick that's why they'll never be good

1.You need to have a strong singleplayer style campaign for your hero
2.Well-designed/challenging MMO group content
3.Good Player vs Player gameplay

You know what that means? The gameplay in your MMO needs to be that versatile and good luck with that
>>
Are we doing endless eight again?
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 1280x720
>>339455527
I do wish there were more post apocalyptic MMOs. Just sick of the usual Space opera and Fantasy settings.

But I would like a some sort of 'persistent shed world' element.

If people start supporting settlers and kill monsters the amount of traders coming to town increase. But if players just join raiders and attack caravans for easy loot, then trade stops and prices go up.

Not sure how to balance that out but it will be interesting to see.
>>
>>339455135
>Everyone's been dying for a Pokemon MMO

>>>/vp/
>>
>>339455135
>>First person only
>>Limited different armors with two or three "Best" Armors in both light/heavy categories.
>>Main goal of the game is to just roam around and delve into ruins/caves.
>>Level your ability to use different weapons, armors, and non-combat skills simply by using them.
>>No real end-game, just making copies of whatever you feel is the best armor/gear and giving it different enchantments while continuing to roam around and explore the world collecting things to put in your house.

other than "first person only" (you can do third or first in ESO), you just described ESO down to a tee
>>
The next big MMOs are probably the FPSMMOs.

Like Destiny but not so shitty and shallow and real open world.

It's a big risk with these games and they take a lot of time and money to make.
>>
>>339456692
How about this:

>Warrior
Devil May Cry style crazy shit. I'm talking throwing your enemy's projectiles back at them after perfectly-times catches, flips, tossing your enemy in the air and kicking his ass before he hits the ground, C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER style moves and shit.

>Ranger/Hunter/Bowman
Plays mostly like Quake 2 with a Charge-shot gun. (The bow takes time to pull) Different arrow types.

>Mage
Teleports, Magic shields, Pushes, pulls, and a whole load of crazy shit to pull off if you know what you're doing. Easily the most complicated class to play, but can blow up the fucking world. (Not really, but you get the idea.)
>>
>>339458001
I would play the shit out of that
>>
>>339456692
>>339458001

It might be hard for the server to handle all of that concurrently between dozens or potentially hundreds of players in a single area.

They do need to come up with a new combat system that doesn't involve playing whack-a-mole with ability cooldowns with the occasional repositioning. For melee, if they mixed Soulcalibur style inputs with Dark Souls style movement, you might have something really engaging that wouldn't be too taxing bandwitdth-wise.Throw in some light Assassin's Creed parkour and you'd have a really fun game. Ranged classes would have to be a little different, but anything would be better than the 15 year style of combat that all MMO's currently run off of.
>>
>>339458001
I think combos would really increased things. The fighter class typically the fighter is usually the most boring class to play after healer because all they do is click attack.
>>
>>339458515
Hell even if we can't do proper real-time combat there is still a lot of alternatives out there to the usual click on something until it dies.

Anyone remember puzzle pirates?
>>
>>339455135
designfag here, not having an end game means you bleed players over time, as there's nothing for them to do once they've played the game.

Endgame isn't necessarily a bad thing, having the focus ENTIRELY on endgame is.
>>
>>339455135
Holy shit I'm triggered. I want you to tie a fucking noose right now.

>le Pokemon mmo
>first person
>>
>>339455135
I've had that idea for a while now and every once in a while I'll jot down some ideas that will never see the light of day just to make myself feel better.

>Races have distinct advantages and disadvantages
>Stats are very important and don't change much past character creation
>For example, high strength lets a player move heavier objects like rusted levers or boulders, high intelligence would be required to learn the more powerful spells, high dexterity reduces the deviation in long distance firing of ranged weapons and also allows faster climbing up vines, ropes, or other less efficient climbing devices
>There are no classes, just skills that you can specialize in every time you level; think Fallout
>Crafting is the primary way to get better gear, trade offs between stronger base materials or materials that can be coated with special dustings that lets the armor be enchanted by enchanters
>Dungeons, raids, and other such areas are uninstanced and tagging is a thing
>Bosses and other rare monsters rarely, if ever, drop loot. Instead their primary use is for rare materials that crafters can use
>For example, there are giant boss tier cyclopes that roam around a particular mountain, while they don't drop anything immediately useful a butcher can extract their eyes for alchemists, a lumberer could carve their clubs to get the precious heartwood inside, and a clothier can shred their loinclothes for extra cloth or leather. Similarly a dragon wouldn't drop anything immediately useful, but their wings, sinew, bones, and organs can be harvested and used to make brilliant gear
>Everything has a max durability and normal durability, once the normal durability goes down the item can't be used until it's repaired, once the max durability goes down the weapon breaks permanently, but can be kept as a trophy
>Weight based and grid based inventory like a mix of diablo+ragnarok online

Going a bit hard now and nobody will read this so I'll stop.
>>
>>339459648
He was talking about two different games, r-tard.
>>
>>339460140
I read it, anon. Sounds fucking awesome.
>>
Was the SMT MMO any good?
>>
>>339460140
>Bosses and other rare monsters rarely, if ever, drop loot. Instead their primary use is for rare materials that crafters can use

a rare dye maybe but not essential materials to make the best gear out there because that's stupid

once you put the strongest gear behind group content you fucked up
>>
>>339460140
Add always-on world PvP and a good character creator, and I'm on board. More MMO's should take cues from EVE Online; safe zones should be available, but the real money should be out where you can fall victim to other players as well as the enemies there. You can blend PvE and PvP quite handily there; Opportunistic PvPers could wait for a group to clear dungeons before swooping in and taking the loot for themselves, and likewise, groups of people looking to clear dungeons could hire dedicated PvPers to defend them from other players in said dungeons. Being on guard at all times is a good way to keep a game fun and from being boring grindfests like modern Korean trash.
>>
>>339455135
>Everyone's been dying for a Pokemon MMO. Why doesn't someone make it?

why don't you?
>>
>>339455135
In regards to your Pokemon MMO idea I was thinking of a way it could be done without having to include Pokemon, but still retain the core gameplay of it. It's difficult, because Pokemon has it nailed so thoroughly. My idea would be a little less cute and child friendly, but essentially it'd be a game about capturing demons, ghosts, and lost souls.

>Character is a shaman or ghostbuster type, having no stats of their own
>In order to battle ghosts the player has to "merge" with a captured soul
>Souls have different stats, evolve over time, and learn different attacks of different types
>Character can carry like 5 or 6 souls with him at a time

I don't know how you'd handle the equivalent of gyms, tournaments, or other traditionally pokemon stuff, but that's a decent spin on it that doesn't include capturing creatures in balls.
>>
>>339461807
Because I don't know any programing languages and suck at art.
>>
>>339455135

>dying for poke mmo
>go to pokemmo(dot)eu
>play a poke mmo for free

Lets do this guys what channel (server) we joining?
>>
>>339463497

alright, I'll just keep playing pokemmo solo then.....
>>
>>339455135
FFXI breaks the mold and is fantastic for an MMO.
>>
>>339462705
You're probably not game freak or Nintendo so don't own the rights to the intellectual property in question.

Something which a surprising amount of kickstarters seem to overlook
>>
>>339462334
Does IMAGINE count?
>>
File: image.jpg (748 KB, 1734x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
748 KB, 1734x1080
>>339461684
You know that The division for all its many many flaws did that with the dark zone.

Can't say it work but I'll give them A+ for effort, F minus for bug testing.
>>
>>339464468

There is a fucking pokemmo and its great
>>
As long as mmos still try to be both a pvp and a pve coop game AT THE SAME TIME they will be able to be truly good.

A cooperative game with fundamentally different classes and focus on different roles is simply not compatible with a pvp game where every class has to be able to fight one-on-one
>>
>>339457453
>Singleplayer content in MMOs usually sucks
well duh?
>>
File: 1457716001667.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457716001667.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
>>339460140
>There are no classes, just skills that you can specialize in every time you level; think Fallout
The rest was really nice though
>>
>>339464763
I take it you meant to say they'll *never* be good?

In which case yes a great, the main issue comes from balancing fundamentally different gameplay dynamics.

It could work if you limited player classes to a maximum of say 3 to 5 and were really careful with how to implement abilities. But you really just better off pick on one particular game style and focusing on that
>>
File: 1464310505842.jpg (112 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
1464310505842.jpg
112 KB, 500x344
>>339460916
>complaining about group content in a fucking mmo
I want autists to leave
>>
File: 1464478555140.jpg (29 KB, 238x241) Image search: [Google]
1464478555140.jpg
29 KB, 238x241
>>339460916
>once you put the strongest gear behind group content you fucked up
t. cancer
>>
>>339460140
Lot of your ideas are incorporated in Black Desert.

It's shit. It really is.

Mostly due to cash shop "convenience items", but it's shit nonetheless, only adding artificial difficulty.

That said, I'm not claiming the ideas are completely useless, it's just that the devs (or more likely the publishers) will want to profit from their game, which is where it gets difficult.
>>
>>339464326
>FFXI breaks the mold

It follows literally the exact same formulae as OP described, it's worse than a lot of MMO's actually because the raid content isn't just the main end game, it's all of the end game. Hunts, PvP and crafting exist, but they aren't fleshed out in their own way they all exist to facilitate furthering the player in dungeon raiding.
>>
>>339458001
Oh gee, the three most common classes in every game since the dawn of time.
>>
>>339455135
crowfall my friend
>>
>>339460140
I'll add to this terrible monstrosity.
>include collision on PCs and NPCs.
>You must eat, sleep, and drink water
>add random diseases that can kill you or leave you diminished in strength
>death is permanent
>>
>>339465953
>I take it you meant to say they'll *never* be good?
yeah that's what I meant.

>But you really just better off pick on one particular game style and focusing on that
This should be the standard already.
>>
File: 1451418705709.gif (834 KB, 440x248) Image search: [Google]
1451418705709.gif
834 KB, 440x248
>>339455527
>FPSMMO

This needs to stop
>>
>>339466723
>>include collision on PCs and NPCs.
Fucking warhammer online had this in the pvp areas

Holding a castle with the melee holding the line while the casters and archers shot from above the walls was great fun
too bad the game balance was terrible
>>
>>339466723
>account tied to birth certificate
>one account per birth certificate
>one character per account
>when you create your character, there's a random chance it will have some genetic disease
>>
>>339466320
None of those are in black desert, not a single one of those ideas are in any way similar to anything in black desert
>>
>>339460140
>There are no classes
>a butcher can extract their eyes
> for alchemists
> a lumberer could carve their clubs
>clothier can shred their loinclothes
>no classes
you can cross one of the ideas out right now
>>
>>339467174
those are skills not classes
>>
>>339466042
>>339466140
How's that autistic?

You do the group content for the challenge and getting the rare cosmetic stuff sure but not actual gear with stats that's obviously retarded
>>
>>339467097
They are, retard. Maybe play the game?
>>
because u just play mainstream shit, engineered to steal your money and your dopamine
>>
>>339467236
>crafting simulator
>crafting classes aren't classes, those are skills
>>
There's multiple pokemon MMOs.

Started playing pokemon revolution online a couple days ago.

Fuckloads of custom land, clothing/customization and such. Features multiple regions, PVP, Guilds, shinies, trading, all that stuff you'd want.

Running between the first 2 towns I saw probably 50-100 people.
>>
File: 1464613721680.png (1 MB, 622x1381) Image search: [Google]
1464613721680.png
1 MB, 622x1381
>Still no working Multiplayer for STALKER and Call of Chernobyl
>>
>>339467174
You can't do any of those and there are definitely classes
>>339467294
Maybe you should play the game because name one of those ideas that is actually in black desert.
>>
>>339467362
In the context of the post, which says "you level up you get skill points" then a butcher is just someone who put points in the butcher skill

So you can be a butcher and a cook and a miner as long as you put points into those skills.
>>
>>339455135
>Everyone's been dying for a Pokemon MMO. Why doesn't someone make it? You don't need the pokemon license, just make your own monsters and methods of capture/battle.
There are pokemons MMOs but they are clunky as shit

Also it reminded me of the W3 custom map
>tfw you could save your dudes and load them in other game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920D4VfB__4
>First person only
>Limited different armors with two or three "Best" Armors in both light/heavy categories.
>Main goal of the game is to just roam around and delve into ruins/caves.
>Level your ability to use different weapons, armors, and non-combat skills simply by using them.
>No real end-game, just making copies of whatever you feel is the best armor/gear and giving it different enchantments while continuing to roam around and explore the world collecting things to put in your house.
All the new horror survival mmos did this and they failed

Once they realize they cant just make a regular game and add hundreds of player into it they will go back to the traditionals once again

Also if you make very latency dependent games you are alienating half of the world.
>>
>>339460140
I like the idea of disposable items, I reckon it would also be nice to start off with a world full of monsters, people and settlements/dungeons then introduce the players. Make all the monsters and people reproduce at a natural rate so you get a normal natural growth of settlements and monster populations. Pretty much a world ecosystem.

Then scatter some cool shit throughout the world so players have an extra incentive to do more than just farm monsters, with a lot of items being one of a kind ranging from near useless to really powerful.

Then you can just watch as the players strip the world bare killing everything and looting everything so the game progresses from a normal open world mmo into some kind of apocalyptic mmo where everythings dead except for the really tough or resilient.
>>
>>339467537
someone who puts points into the butcher skill tree becomes a butcher class, so there are classes
>>
>>339467638
>into the butcher skill tree becomes a butcher class
Is this a semantics argument?

Because it terms of practical gameplay going with skill points over rigid classes is pretty different. You get a lot more granularity with skills. It's possible to approach this granularity with a class system by having a shitload of classes and allowing multiclassing but it still ends up being more rigid.
>>
File: image.jpg (317 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
317 KB, 1024x768
>>339467392
>STALKER MMO

The setting actually would work really well for a MMO. You're just one of many Easter European stalkers to find fortune and fame in the Zone.
>>
>>339467912
>Is this a semantics argument?
yes.

I find your implication that classes must be distinct and cross-class skills are forbidden disturbing.
>>
>>339455135
>Everyone's been dying for a Pokemon MMO

If by everyone, you mean little children and manchildren than yes.
However people with taste don't like pokemon at all.
>>
>>339468159
you're right, I'd much rather have a digimon mmo
>>
>>339468159
Digimon if fine too, then
>>
The greatest flaw in MMOs is grinding and boring quests, text walls that no one wants to read.

Tell the story through in-engine cutscenes, everyone likes to see their character come to life. Change the millions of weak mobs into fewer great ones that require teamwork to kill. Give them frightening AI instead of having them slug around until someone comes along and kills them for 3/20 beast claws.
>>
>>339466941
Why would it stop isn't Destiny bigger than World of Warcraft.

You can only imagine what's going to be like when the first good FPSMMO comes out.
>>
File: kougami.jpg (45 KB, 633x356) Image search: [Google]
kougami.jpg
45 KB, 633x356
>>339468654
>isn't Destiny bigger than World of Warcraft

That's a good joke anon.
>>
File: 1433924610407.jpg (31 KB, 538x550) Image search: [Google]
1433924610407.jpg
31 KB, 538x550
>>339467271
Are you retarded? If you can get the best stuff solo it's just another singleplayer rpg in disguise. Go play Elder Scrolls or something
>>
>>339455135
Wow has Pokémon in it
>>
File: Guts simulator.webm (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Guts simulator.webm
3 MB, 480x270
>>339458001
>implying this doesn't exist already
>>
>>339469157
what is this
>>
>>339469575
Vindictus
>>
>>339469575
don't be fooled, the game is a huge grind and has a fucked up cash shop
>>
File: Vindictus hitboxes.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Vindictus hitboxes.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>339469742
not on korea it doesn't ;)
>>
File: Aberoth1.png (7 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Aberoth1.png
7 KB, 640x480
>>339461684

I play a small browser game called Aberoth which has that, PVP anywhere and full item drop. Gets hilarious sometimes.
>>
File: Remove gooks.jpg (16 KB, 220x313) Image search: [Google]
Remove gooks.jpg
16 KB, 220x313
>>339469812
>korean mmos
>anything but screwed p2w grindfests
I want filthy gooks to leave
>>
File: img_delia_art4.jpg (171 KB, 927x946) Image search: [Google]
img_delia_art4.jpg
171 KB, 927x946
>>339470004
>blinded by racism you'll never experience the GOAT of GOAT mmos
keep paying for that wow sub, goy!
>>
>>339468889
Why not anon

Getting the best gear stats wise should be accessible to all players tied with the leveling process maybe it's not even a big deal

Balance is what matters

Now customizing that gear to your liking the fashion shit that's the cute part. You can have rare cosmetic stuff hidden behind Bossess for people who are into group content, some in pvp related activities and other misc world challenges sure why not
>>
File: unit-731.png (359 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
unit-731.png
359 KB, 600x300
>>339470114
Get off my board Kim
>>
File: tumblr_m6p8wkPE501qjgtigo8_1280.jpg (299 KB, 1196x800) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6p8wkPE501qjgtigo8_1280.jpg
299 KB, 1196x800
>>339470243
get off my korean mmo discussion board metzen
>>
>>339469742

>HUURRRR the grind is bad duruurrrrrr

You dont understand the main idea of MMO.
>>
File: 1443822420207.jpg (68 KB, 606x496) Image search: [Google]
1443822420207.jpg
68 KB, 606x496
>>339470318
>tumblr
>>
It is a good question why are people so closed-minded when it comes to MMO design
>>
>>339470403

No, it is you who does not understand the purpose and function of MMO.
>>
>>339470512
>>
>>339458001
>I'm talking throwing your enemy's projectiles back at them after perfectly-times catches, flips, tossing your enemy in the air and kicking his ass before he hits the ground, C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER style moves and shit.
Impossible to do in a MMO because of latency
It's one of the biggest problems when it gets to these games
>>
>>339469887
Playing now.
Looks good
>>
>>339470743
>implying
Dragon Nest pvp made it a sport of juggling
>>
>>339470203
Why have good stuff be achievable to solo players if it's an MMO? Maybe MMO's just aren't for you?
>>
>>339470203
>Balance is what matters
for sissies maybe
>>
>>339470878
>balance doesn't matter
yet something tells me you would play the OP and not the UP
>>
>>339470993
I'm the underdog superstar
in reality I accidentally choose the weakest class in the game
this has happened in 5 different mmos
>>
>>339470993
Depends. There's a lot of context to consider, and it's cool just being a buffer or debuffer or whatever else. I can play a class that's only situationally useful if I enjoy the theme of the class, and the game as a whole. I played Drudge in Asheron's Call because it was fun.

It's hard to have unique classes if you're aiming for "balance". All that "equal playing field" shit is too forced. It seems to me that if you unleash some imbalanced stuff, and let the players duke it out a while, they'll find their own workarounds instead of doing the whole rubber band balance blizzard became known for in WotLK.
>>
>>339469742
I have two characters at level 70 and haven't grinded for anything. Does it come after level 90?
>>
>>339471272
>It's hard to have unique classes if you're aiming for "balance".
what if every class has a strong counter, thus it can be "balanced" yet they can be unique?
>>
>>339471538
it doesn't come at all anymore. People would rather shitpost about past problems than realize games can be fixed.
enchanting and enhancing is still bullshit though
>>
>>339470834
I think it's important for the player to have that freedom.The game should be that versatile.

When we're talking stats it's all about game balance so there's no problem in allowing solo progression just like leveling up your character it's personal.
>>
>>339461684
I never played a game that did open world PvP good and it also attracts cancer IMO. I feel like PvP in MMOs are for people who failed to be good at other competitive games since MMos have progression and gear so duels aren't based entirely on skill. If it were then PvP everywhere would be great but most of the time it would be just greifing honestly.
>>
>>339455527
>FPSMMO
Dear god that sounds even WORSE
>>
Fuck korean MMO developers
>have nice game
>social, fun, combat system is neat
>go trough a small bump of players leaving because something big and new comes out/school in the area is out/literally anything
>suddenly change your game 100% around to bring in more people by making everything more casual and solo friendly
>game dies out
>get confused
And these retards have been doing this for nearly fucking 7 years now, I understand you're half blind because your squinty little eyes can't see half of the shit laid before you but it really doesn't take Albert Einstein to figure out what the fuck you're doing wrong.
>>
>>339472993
>As of November 2015, Destiny has 25 million registered users, a 5 million increase in 3 months.[174]

be afraid
>>
>>339473735
>registered
Wow it's fucking nothing.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.