[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've finally realised what it is about Game of Thrones that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1333619534417.png (116 KB, 260x262) Image search: [Google]
1333619534417.png
116 KB, 260x262
I've finally realised what it is about Game of Thrones that I find slightly off-putting (as a fan of the show):

It lacks cohesion.

And I don't mean that it's labyrinthine and I forget some of the characters and relationships and they recast too much, etc. I mean, it feels like every character, as opposed to having their own plotline, is in THEIR OWN COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FANTASY STORY. It's a strength and a weakness, really.

This guy over here is fighting ice zombies and is being resurrected. Cool. That's enough to build an entire story around.

Over here this guy's off on a quest to become a wizard or some shit.

This other kid is off possessing animals and time travelling.

This other kid is becoming a shapeshifting assassin, I guess?

Another character is trying to tame dragons to conquer a kingdom.

The list goes on - you could build satisfying stories around each of these, and I'm concerned they won't all come together and feel important.
>>
Same here. After Jon Snurrrrrrrrrrr left at the end of S3 I wondered how the hell any of his siblings that are still looking for him are gonna find him
>>
>>69310810
>Jon Snurrrrrrrrrrr

Read it in his voice. It's weird that I never hear about Americans putting up subtitles for this show.
>>
The problem is that they dedicate too many stories to use in an episode.

Limit each episode to 1 or 2 narratives, instead of like 5 or 6.

>The Wall, Jon, Davos, Mellisandre,
>The Boltons, Winterfell
>Sansa, Briene, Podrick
>Theon, The Greyjoys, The Iron Islands
>Kings Landing, The council, Cersei, Jamie, The High sparrow, Qyburn,
>Bran, The Raven, Hodor
>Arya, the Faceless men, Bravoss
>Danerys, Drogon, Jonah, The Horse fuckers
>Tyrion, Grey Worm, Varys, Harpys, Mereen
>Sand Snakes
>The Tyrells
>Littlefinger and his antics
>The Freys
>>
>>69311002
I'm an americunt and I've been watching everything with subtitles for half my life now
>>
>>69311246
>Limit each episode to 1 or 2 narratives, instead of like 5 or 6.

Well put. The show plays like if, in the books, each character got a paragraph instead of entire POV chapter.
>>
>>69311273
>it's got so bad we just topped talking about it

lol, okay then

>>69311246

That would make it feel less disjointed on an episode by episode basis, but wouldn't change anything in the grand scheme of things. You're still looking at very disparate stories needing to coalesce at some point, in a way that the more we go on it seems less likely they will. The stories are somehow getting further apart as we progress, and they keep throwing in new shit. Like fucking grayscale, there's no way that's going to be important...
>>
>>69311002
We don't like to read.
>>
>>69311379

Part of the problem is that actors like Alfie Allen demand a certain amount of episodes per season.
>>
The amount of stories is one problem but it's not the biggest one. the biggest one seems to be that the creators lack any kind of plan or direction. The Dorne arc is the most obvious case of this, they dedicate several minutes of several episodes last season to set it up andgo through with it and hit had absolutely no pay off whatsoever. Jaimes character almost went through an arc but they scraped that and the rest is just filler that could have been summed up in a single scene of "lmao Doran in super evil and kill Myrcella" which is almost as stupid as what the show pulled but with much less wasted scenes.
>>
>>69312042
>the creators lack any kind of plan or direction

Is that only a show problem though? I would've thought the books would be worse. That said, it's hard to cut the fat when adapting an unfinished series.
>>
>>69311864
fuck off
>>
>>69312660

What? He's right. Look how long they spent torturing him episode to episode. That was retarded.
>>
>>69312715
>he thinks Alfie Allen's contract dictated this
>>
>>69312470
I'm going to asume the books have some sort of end goal but it feels like the show has none. At this point the show is just full of senseless story arcs with no build up to anything.
>Dorne acomplished absolutely nothing
>High sparrow has no clear goals and every scene with him is just characters complaing about him being a dick to them
>the roose murder had no set up or pay off at all, they just killed a major villian mid episode in a short scene because of reasons
>Tyrion and Varys have some sort of direction of defating the baddies but most of it is just tyrion making shitty jokes written by an intern

I understand that the villains don't aticely need to constantly be moving and doing shit since they're there to be obstacles for the protagonists but when the protagonists have no goal whatsoever or their goal is entirely unknown to the viewer it's just shitty "muh cliffhanger" writting.
>>
Now that the cunt Ollie is dead I hope Sam gets it next. Hate that fucking whiny numale faggot.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.