[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so hard for people to make a good movie? It seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 1460525864206.jpg (66 KB, 570x407) Image search: [Google]
1460525864206.jpg
66 KB, 570x407
Why is it so hard for people to make a good movie?
It seems like every movie has stupid flaws and obvious bad decisions that make you think, "why would they ever do that?".

Why can't some autist with some inspiration and complete control just get together with a group of moderately talented people and make a perfect/amazing movie? It really can't be that difficult.

>inb4 Quentin "Uno Farto" Tarantino
>>
>>69254303
I don't have much experience, beyond making a couple shorts, but it's not even close to as simple as that.

The fact is that even with an autist having a good deal of control, there's still the issue of getting everyone on the exact same page (if you've ever seen a film set, you'll know there's a metric FUCKton of people involved), making sure everything is perfect, and just being heavily involved and nitpicky the whole way through.

With studios, that shit can't fly. They're a bunch of bureaucratic Jewish fucks who want their moneymakers out as fast as possible, so they cut corners. They have deadlines. They take as much creative control as they need to to make sure it's a guaranteed success, which is often almost all of it.

Take BvS for example. It could have been great, but the studios had to cut a ton of shit out to make it a manageable time, which is why we didn't get the Communion scene.
>>
>>69254710
I know, but I don't get it.

Consistently the best movies come from people with more artistic control, so why don't studios just set a strict deadline and not interfere?

The Communion scene is important but they cut that 45 seconds out for no reason.

It's just so odd. It can't be THAT hard to explain to your actors exactly what you want, get what you want from them, use the music you want, get what you want from the editor/edit yourself, and then release it.

It's so odd that good movies are few and far between. Just give full control to autistics who love movies like the Coen Brothers or Tarantino, they're not perfect by any means but they produce consistently pretty good movies.
>>
>>69255055
It's about consistency, man. They can't risk a flop, so they play it as safe as they can.

I'd love for more Tarantinos or Coens to come out of filmmaking, but the Indie market is the only place you'll get anything even remotely original.
>>
What is the communion scene?
>>
>>69255993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s
>>
File: Upstream-Color-2013.jpg (814 KB, 3000x1491) Image search: [Google]
Upstream-Color-2013.jpg
814 KB, 3000x1491
>>69254303
>Why can't some autist with some inspiration and complete control just get together with a group of moderately talented people and make a perfect/amazing movie? It really can't be that difficult.
Shane Carruth is your man.
>>
>>69256075
Who is that monster?
>>
It's not. Plebs like you just have stupid, arbitrary, irrelevant criteria.

Any movie you dislike you just blurt DA ENDING SUKED despite how well filmed it is.
>>
those "bad ideas" were often things that the director or someone else really fought for. to them they were good or great ideas. if directors only ever made what a single person considered a good idea movies would get pretty boring

watching movies is also a skill, and people who are bad at it are the ones who have very rigid ideas about what movies are supposed to do. Ebert was a pro at watching movies, and the better he got at it the more movies he liked. this was because he tried to see the movie from the perspective of the people making it. ie what they were trying to accomplish. if he saw an action movie that had a really anti-climactic final act he wouldn't assume that it was just incompetence, he'd first try to understand why that choice was made
>>
>>69254303
god i wonder this so much, nice to know someone else does as well

>>69256159
carruth is such a great example

he had nothing to do with movies but had an idea and fleshed it out properly and thought about things and did everything himself and has made two great films, shame we'll never get to see A Topiary, but A Modern Ocean should be great.
>>
>>69257214
even his music is good.

You can really tell in Upstream Color that he took learning composition seriously, he doesn't just write shitty "scores" like you hear on TV and in flicks, but he wrote actual, proper compositions that would stand on their own.

His dedication to craft is inspiring in a way that today is really only matched by top chefs, even though I myself have no aspirations of film-making. A complete artist.
>>
>>69256159
Immediately what came to my mind. The problem is people want this, but then hate stuff like Upstream Color and write it off as pretentious
>>
>>69254303
What is Batman v Superman?
>>
>>69254303
Because production companies like De Laurentiis Entertainment Group and United Artists went out of business.
>>
>>69254303

back to the future is the movie you want OP
>>
>>69254303
Because people have different opinions.

There are in my opinion perfect movies,
but many here would call them fucking stupid.

Nobody will ever make a mivie that all humans will find perfect. Because we are not singular and linear species
>>
>>69260394
Could you explain that further?
>>
>>69260479
no just read it again.
WTF?
>>
>>69260394
not OP but I think it's pretty clear what he means. He's wondering why movies that have artistic merit and make sense aren't produced much any more. Those two criteria are fairly objective (though, of course there are always outliers).

Also, 4chan isn't the best place to come for opinions. There are many on here who will literally just bash anything because it's liked by someone, without any critical insight or knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>69254303
>Why can't some autist with some inspiration and complete control just get together with a group of moderately talented people and make a perfect/amazing movie?
>OP's pic is literally that movie
>>
>>69254303
>It really can't be that difficult
>a perfect/amazing movie
C'mon...
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 600x600
>>69259348
This is a good answer.

There's also the fact that Fellini's studio fell out of favour... And the Italian Craftsmen have a reputation for 'taking too long'. The last film with a major production in Italy was apparently Gangs of New York, which looked amazing, but didn't have a great story.
>>
>>69256907
It's funny; I think I gained just as much perspective and appreciation of movies from watching bad ones as I did from watching good ones. Watching only good movies gives less than half the big picture of movies as a whole. It leaves a void in one's understanding of them.
>>
>>69258879
I have the feeling that this R-rated cut will do for BvS as tge director's cut did for Daredevil. It will make a mess of a movie much more coherent but hardly anyone will want to watch it to compare.
>>
>>69254303
The demarcation between children and adult entertainment has been so blurred that adults raised on children's entertainment with bits thrown in to appeal to adults lack appreciation of more mature movies.
>>
I don't want to believe it, but I guess the idea of cultural industry of Horkeheimer and Adorno is kind of true. A movie is a product and needs to create a profit. Standardization and distribution to greater number of masses is unavoidable then. I think it was always like that, it's just the numbers are so ridiculusly huge that movie needs to be more similar, dumbed down and safe in order to generate profit. Also, movie like godfather could be a blockbuster at one point, today masses wouldn't even notice it
>>
>>69254303
Because people are plebs and enjoy pleb stuff. Movies have to sell. There are tight schedules and other constraints.

The worst of it all isn't from the studios, it comes from the fact that contrary to a statue or a symphony, it relies on multiple people interacting. And not two but hundreds of people. It's virtually impossible to get everyone on line with the director's intentions.

In an orchestra you have an already established composition and endless autistic repetitions of every bits. You just can't get the same level of perfectionism in a movie when there are 100x more factors at play in a video than in sound only and 100x the budget per minute spent. Kubrick allegedly spent sometimes half a day of shooting for a single short sequence. He is known as a perfectionist, but in a high class orchestra with a competent director that would be standard procedure for the whole piece of music.

What you are asking for would cost six gorillonz of dollars to produce. That's a whole shekel shoah. So the Jews in control of studios want to produce pleb stuff to make bank. I don't blame them that much.
>>
>>69256193
Darkseid: Snyder edition

He's a Darksnyder
>>
>>69254303
>complete control
the jews need to make sure they'll get their money
>>
>>69256193
Some say his name is Steppenwolf
>>
File: 1450831370629.png (257 KB, 596x720) Image search: [Google]
1450831370629.png
257 KB, 596x720
The jews ruined everything. Movies were creative in the 70-80s. In the 90s they were much more commercial. By the 00s movies were fucked. On the other hand I've been watching old as fuck movies and it's comfy.
>>
>>69254303
Hindsight
>>
>>69265032
>tfw we'll never have as big a disaster as Cannon Films again
>>
>>69254303
It's not the movies. Either you've been on /tv/ too long and just hate every film that's ever existed or your just an obnoxious hard to please ass. I'm honestly starting to think everyone on /tv/ is just a bunch of failed wannabe film makers and just shit on everything that comes out. You expect every film to be like godfather or citizen Kane tier, rather than realizing it's just stories and entertainment and nothing more
>>
>>69265385
>autism the post
Thanks senpai
>>
>>69265385
You have to differentiate the memesters and the /tv/'ers
The memesters don't actually watch films and are just looking for the hottest new forced meme since /b/ has no community anymore

But most actual /tv/'ers actually enjoy films
Thing is, there are some autists who can't handle their favourite film being criticised so assume that's it's due to contrarianism or memeing

You only have to look at the abundance of capeshit threads to realise that /tv/ isn't actually some pretentious den of wannabe cinephiles hating everything to seem smart
>>
Making great movies is not financially viable.
>>
>>69254303
cause hollywood and money you simple nigger
>>
>>69265515
Unoriginal the post. Go Allen
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.