[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/filmmaking/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
You know the drill.

Anyway, I'm going to make my first feature film and it will have no dialogue in it. Why? Because a) my native language sounds like shit on screen and b) getting great sound during a 10 day shoot with a skeleton crew is almost impossible. Thoughts?
>>
Can I bump my own thread? Let's see.
>>
File: 1436074678827.jpg (3 KB, 112x125) Image search: [Google]
1436074678827.jpg
3 KB, 112x125
You know, I first came to /tv/ years ago when I wanted to get into filmmaking. I'd done acting for a couple years but I really wanted to get into telling my own stories, and showing people the things I had in mind.
I had so many great ideas I wanted to try out, I thought "Hey, 4chan is always a place to find relateable people, I bet there are some shoestring filmmakers on the television and film board" "Maybe they even have people working on cool projects they want people to join in on" "There's always interesting advice from likeminded weirdos and creative types in the dark crevices of places like 4chan"
>It's 99.999% nothing but paedo threads, comic book movie discussions, and memes, full of the absolutely lowest common denominator of 4chan, literally "anyone who watches tv or movies"

I think I gave up on my dreams long ago. How have you guys not yet?
>>
>>69117678
I think OPs can only bump their own threads after a certain amount of time.

Anyway I made a shitty comic con video recently where I asked people dumb questions. My internship is almost up and I'm looking to get a job at some editing house. I wish LA wasn't so fucking expensive.
>>
>>69117722
Some of us don't want to believe in the real world...
anyway, did you liked Civil war?
>>
>>69117931
Civil War was good, it led to some classic films such as Gone With The Wind and Glory
>>
>>69116804
which language do you speak?
>>
File: indecisive jewish man.gif (2 MB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
indecisive jewish man.gif
2 MB, 316x213
>>69117957
>Glory
>>
>>69117957
and don't forget Superman IV: the quest for piece
>>
File: 1451872230105.jpg (77 KB, 534x712) Image search: [Google]
1451872230105.jpg
77 KB, 534x712
>>69117957
>Glory
>>
>>69118034
y'know what every film ever was due to the civil war due to the impact the events had on the world and culture.
>>
>>69117826
In my experience it's when the thread gets past the 6th page.

Anyway, I've been brainstorming the fuck out of that 80's grindhouse-style movie I wanted to do, and I think I might have to settle for simply making a 2-3 minute short, or maybe just a trailer for something. I'm also thinking maybe I should just use the whole 80's aesthetic as a jumping point, and have fun trying to create my own style.

Also the director of Hobo With A Shotgun liked a picture I posted on Instagram so that was reassuring.
>>
Camcorders vs DSLRs for filmmaking?
>>
>>69118222
I've had a lot of success with DSLRs, but then again I'm a newfag when it comes to equipment so what do I know.
>>
>>69118119
So in a way, slavery was a good thing.
>>
>>69118181
Make the short and then shop it around to investors bro. or I guess do an indiegogo campaign or something

>>69118222
DSLRs for sure. Camcorders work in very specific circumstances if you're going for a really low-fi look. I guess it depends on what you're making.

These threads seem to work better when it's later at night, huh
>>
>>69116804
>Thoughts?
It be pretty hard to pull off. Its hard to care for the characters when they don't speak, since that reveals the most about their personalities. I don't know what your going for so its hard to judge, but it could easily be boring if the actions of the characters don't paint a bigger story.

Tell us more about the story.
>>
>>69118295
Y'know, I was actually thinking about doing that, could be a decent way to at least get some exposure. Maybe toss it around at a few festivals in the winter, who knows.

And yeah, there's no one on here during the day so it's best to start these threads in the nighttime
>>
>>69117722
Oh, so this is a pasta then
>>
>>69118542
Sure is. Sorry anon.
>>
Don't do a silent film bro that's gay and it's too easy. You won't learn much making a silent film
>>
>>69116804
That's what Richard Linklater did for his first picture. Then he made Slacker which was entirely dialogue driven. I'd say it definitely helped him.
>>
>>69118658
Huh, didn't know that.
>>
File: hqdefault (13).jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (13).jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>69118386
>It be pretty hard to pull off. Its hard to care for the characters when they don't speak, since that reveals the most about their personalities.
>>
>>69118222
Really depends on what you're shooting. If you're going to be moving around a lot, lots of handheld, lots of run-n-gun, then I personally find a Camcorder is the better choice. Camcorders are infinitely more useful for their features (ND, XLR, SDI, scopes, etc) but then again if you have no use for them there is little point.

I wouldn't consider DSLRs though, unless money is an issue, since Mirrorless is much better. The reason to go DSLR/Mirrorless is lower cost, better low-light performance and depth of field (muh bokeh). If you find yourself shooting a lot in low light (lack lighting gear), and/or at night, then something with a larger sensor is obviously the way to go.

Ultimately I guess it comes down to how much control you have or need of your shooting environment (guerilla vs sound stage/set), and whether you need the features that Camcorders do not omit, but without much information it's difficult to really answer your question.
>>
>>69118957
>>69118222
I'm sorry are we talking, like, Best Buy camcorders? Am I missing something here?
>>
>>69119029
no like the sony fs7
>>
>>69119029
I think the original question guy meant something like this.
>>
>>69119133
>>69119139
ooohh ok sorry. I've always heard camcorders used as a general term for "shitty camera," and just called shit like the fs7 a camera. Guess it's a regional difference or something.
>>
Tips on shooting effective/interesting gunfights? How do I into gun-kata/gun-fu?
>>
>>69119479
If you're lazy/uncreative you can just do a bunch of quick cuts.
>>
>>69119516
Thanks, Nolan.
>>
File: 1423760089269.gif (537 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1423760089269.gif
537 KB, 500x281
>>69119534
Sorry bro I was just avin a giggle. Just watch some movies with good choreography. Other than that, get a good idea of what space you are looking to shoot in, and use your imagination from there. It's a lot easier to set up anything when you know what your location is.
>>
>>69119630
Nah you good m8

Also that weren't me.

I've kinda been looking to John Woo's movies and shit like Equilibrium and The Matrix for inspiration. I remember Woo said something about wanting shootouts to feel more like a dance or ballet, people flying in absurd directions and exaggerated movements. I like that philosophy, though it's kinda difficult without having wire rigs to work with.

I do have a friend who's good at like Showchoir choreography, maybe she could help me out some. Take that whole dance philosophy to a slightly more literal level.
>>
>>69116804
>Anyway, I'm going to make my first feature film and it will have no dialogue in it.

holy shit, first time ive read an idea for an indie /tv/ film that actually sounds like i'd enjoy it.

go for it, and good luck. although your reasoning ("my native language sounds like shit on screen") is absolutely ridiculous and incredibly stupid.

make a feature without any dialogue for thematic purposes, atmosphere, artistic intention, etc. not because "I think it sounds dumb". Also, I bet the language actually sounds fucking awesome, especially to a foreign audience. subtitle it and you're good to go.
>>
>>69119929
I think you could easily make good fight scenes without wires if you look at woo's older movies. Sure, you'd need people fit enough to jump and dive and shit, but it would be way less expensive than getting a wire crew. I think Hardboiled and City On Fire are great examples of this.

I guess on the flip-side. you could do more realistic, barebones visceral stuff. Like tacticool operators. Nothing super flashy, but still pretty gritty.
>>
How do I get back into screenwriting?
>>
>>69120133
1. Grab pen
2. Grab paper
3. ???????
4. OLD MEMES
>>
>>69120052
Yeah, that's true. I'm working on a budget of basically fuck-all, but I've got friends that like action movies and shit like that who would be happy to work for pizza. I could coerce them into some stunt work, most likely. It's gonna look funny having a bunch of slightly overweight 19-year-olds jumping around with guns in their hands, maybe I can play that up for laughs.

I could probably find some mats and stuff somewhere, that could be helpful.
>>
>>69120133
You got ideas for what you want to write? Write down all your ideas on a piece of paper, and try and craft a story around that. Then, adapt the story into a screenplay, and there you go.
>>
>>69120284
>maybe I can play that up for laughs
I think it would be funny if, after the fight, they were all really sweaty and out of breath and surprised they could actually do those stunts. Would make for a funny one-off gag.

Or if you just had them panting for a good 30 seconds before you smash-cut to something else.
>>
>>69120361
Yeah, that actually sounds pretty funny. Might use that, thanks.
>>
>>69120921
well what do you want to talk about then
>>
I'm trying to create an 80sesque psychological thriller romantic drama.
Any movies you'd recommend to study? How can I get someone to produce my movie?
>>
>>69120941
I dunno, I just like keeping these threads bumped.

I guess critique the couple of shorts I've posted here? Been shilling them here the last few threads, but it's nice to hear words about them.

https://youtu.be/KUSJe8F8vLg

https://youtu.be/K-XIm_r6EQs
>>
What's the go-to audio equipment if you're just starting off with a short film.
>>
>>69121723
I've heard Rode mics are pretty good
>>
>>69121687
I thought the first one was pretty funny. The cinematography was a little weak before they got in the elevator but it got a lot better after that. The second one has some sound issues so you might want to invest in a boom mic

otherwise bretty gud senpai
>>
>>69122142
Yeah, sound has been a pain in my ass for a little bit. I'm gonna probably get a better mic soon.
>>
>>69122142
Also, where should I go to learn cinematography? I really liked how the second one looked (even though editing the sound in post was a bitch so I just kinda gave up on it) and I want to try and make my images look better, more cinematic.
>>
>>69122405
I thought your cinematography was pretty good in the second one famalam. Just be careful with the 180 degree rule when you're doing conversations.

Honestly just watching movies and analyzing their cinematography is a good way to learn. You're basically paying for that when you go to film school anyway. I've always thought taking filmmaking classes in colleges that aren't just film schools are more productive since you're actually making shit.
>>
>>69122582
>I've always thought taking filmmaking classes in colleges that aren't just film schools are more productive since you're actually making shit.
Yeah, that's actually exactly what I did here, those were for two different classes.

I'm excited to start making shit this summer, I no longer feel constrained by assignment guidelines so I'm basically only limited by my imagination and what I can do on a budget of fuck-all.
>>
What exactly does a producer do?
>>
>>69122938
I have no idea. I think they handle logistics/scheduling/budgets and generally make sure things can reasonably happen. I think an executive producer just funds it.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.