[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some essential Western Core?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 13
File: dg.jpg (59 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
dg.jpg
59 KB, 480x640
I normally hate westerns, but I wanted to give some a try, and just marathoned the Dollars Trilogy.

What are some other top notch western movies that I should watch? Like I said, I am not a fan of the genre, but I feel like I should get a few other movies under my belt.

Already seen Tombstone.
>>
High plains drifter is top 10

Try The Homesman for the best female character in years.

Return of django for the real b movie spaghetti, not just Leone
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (343 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
343 KB, 1920x1080
>>69041908
Once Upon Are time In the West is my favourite, and I highly recommend it.
Peoples only complaint about this movie was it is a bit slow, But fuck that when you have atmosphere and OP score from Ennio Morricone. It's more grittier than the dollars trilogy.

And the final duel is on par with For Few Dollars More duel, which IMO is the best duel in the trilogy. The music and character revealing shots in this movie is perfect.

these are my favourite scenes of the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbUbr-lbG_c[/spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2gKcLkygI
>>
>>69041908
The Great Silence

great movie with a good ending and meta message about protagonists in westerns.
>>
>>69041908

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tk80iXCspM

Dollars with Not Jackie Chan
>>
File: 1403853163641.jpg (3 MB, 2632x2475) Image search: [Google]
1403853163641.jpg
3 MB, 2632x2475
My Name is Nobody
Jeremiah Johnson
>>
File: downloadfile.jpg (139 KB, 1006x1500) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.jpg
139 KB, 1006x1500
Obviously
>>
>>69042572
The Big Gundown with Lee was awesome.
>>
>>69042246
Greatest western ever made and Sergio Leone's finests work, and I stand by that.
One of the only films that manages to give me goosebumps every time I rewatch it.
>>
File: tombstone.jpg (30 KB, 420x334) Image search: [Google]
tombstone.jpg
30 KB, 420x334
Tombstone is hardly the greatest western ever made, but it's certainly one of the most entertaining.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as well, but then again you're always in safe hands with Paul Newman and Robert Redford on screen.
>>
>>69041908
I'm no fan of westerns either. At least not the John Wayne romantised faggotry like The Searches - which is pure hamfisted gay faggot shit.

I do love Good, Bad, Ugly though. >>69042513 this one is utter shit, so don't even bother.
Il grande silenzio as well as Unforgiven are great. Also Dances with Wolves.
>>
>>69042229
The Homesman was decent, I kind of forgot about it though. I loved the very subtle twist that Meryl Streep completely forgot about her empty gesture to take in these women and has absolutely no idea how to care for them. Even if one man is willing to care for these women society in that time has no place for them beyond the parlor.
>>
>>69042911
>At least not the John Wayne romantised faggotry like The Searches - which is pure hamfisted gay faggot shit.
In what way is The Searchers romanticized? Did you see the same ending as me?
>>
File: mccabe-and-mrs-miller.jpg (54 KB, 614x393) Image search: [Google]
mccabe-and-mrs-miller.jpg
54 KB, 614x393
>>69042572
This list is pretty legit. Nothing I can think of that I'd recommend to a new western fan isn't on here, although 3:10 to Yuma (2007) really ought to be among the contemporary ones here.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller is not only an incredible Western but it's one of my all time favorites. Most every Ford/Wayne film, especially The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. The Wild Bunch is essential.

Just start checking em off that list there, familiarino. I'm fixin to pick one I haven't seen and watch that shit right now.
>>
>>69042911
I am astonished that you call The Searchers "pure hamfisted gay faggot shit" and three sentences later are tossing out Dances With Wolves as a recommendation. That painfully slow early 90s heap of shit aged like a gallon of milk. The Searchers isn't just better, it's like a thousand times better. The Searchers shits on Dances With Wolves such that if John Wayne had literally shit on Kevin Costner, Dances with Wolves might have been more watchable.
>>
>>69043023
After reading and hearing all the praise over all those years how The Searches is one of the best movies of all time and yadayada I barely made it to the end after all that goofy, over the top Buster Keaton acting. It was fucking ludicrous, like watching a Louis de Funès movie.

From a technical point of view it did have some great composition and beautiful shots though.
>>
>>69043256
Go to bed John, you are drunk!
>>
>>69043317
>over the top Buster Keaton acting
But Keaton was famously deadpan and reserved, it's his defining characteristic. Your namedropping doesn't even make sense

Yes the acting is a mixed bag, like every movie from that era, and The Searchers definitely has some tonal issues, but to write it off completely for that is absurd.
>>
>>69043421
To each his own, I couldn't take anything and anyone serious, with many parts being outright comical - which renders the whole conflict and therefore the entire film moot.
For me it is one of the shittiest and most overrated movies based on its reputation I've ever seen.
>>
>>69042229
Those aren't westerns
>>69042246
Not westerns
>>69042380
Not a western genre movie.
>>69042572
I count 5 westerns and the text part of your post contains 0 westerns.
>>69042797
Great fucking pick.
>>69042904
Not westerns.
>>69042911
You've only listed one western genre movie.
>>69042967
Not a western
>>69043035
That isn't a western. Could you please stop posting in in western threads? I've seen you before and I want you to stop it.
>>
El Topo
Treasure of the sierra madre
Magnificent Seven fuck you /tv/, it was great
the Searchers
Tombstone
>>
>>69043684
How is Jeremiah Johnson not a western?
>>
>>69042572
Death Rides a Horse has a great score.
>>
>>69043684
What defines a movie as a western?
>>
What the name of that 80s western film that got destroyed by critics but now is considered pretty nice
>>
>>69041908
>marathoning movies
Hang yourself
>>
Check out The Good, the Bad, and the Weird for a more recent western.
>>
>>69044170
Heaven's Gate

It still gets a fair amount of shit
>>
>>69043684
You're a western
>>
OP here thanks

Added a few. Still have not seen El Topo, wasnt sure it was a western.
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 720x1080
High Noon (1952) dir. by Fred Zinnemann anyone?
>>
>>69041908
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is a good one. Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne doing what they do best.
>>
>>69042246
I always thought Frank's eyes always looked red in that first scene. Like he was buzzed off his chew or something.

And I love the shadow effects Leone plays with,as Cheyenne slides the lamp towards Harmonica and it just swings there for a bit.

Not to mention the Dialogue is fantastic
>>
Who /Shane/ here?
>>
>>69041908
The're called "Western Movies" not western core don't say that
>>
File: 9230672.jpg (195 KB, 500x735) Image search: [Google]
9230672.jpg
195 KB, 500x735
>>69041908
>>
Only good Western every made is Dead Man.
>>
File: good_the_bad_and_the_weird_xlg.jpg (339 KB, 1500x1128) Image search: [Google]
good_the_bad_and_the_weird_xlg.jpg
339 KB, 1500x1128
>>
>>
Eurowestern represent:

>The Mercenary
>The Big Gundown
>Cemetery without Crosses
>Django (get italian dub, English dub is horrible)
>Duck you Sucker / A fistful of dynamite
>>
>>69042572
>>
File: proposition9.jpg (8 KB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
proposition9.jpg
8 KB, 640x272
One of my favorite movies of the 00's
>>
>>69042637
It's great, but it really should be watched after the viewer knows the ins and outs of the genre. It's a deconstructionist Western, so if you don't know anything about the Western genre, you don't know the tropes that are being subverted.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.