[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /tv/ and Reddit hate Interstellar so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14
File: hr_interstellar_6.jpg (120 KB, 819x1280) Image search: [Google]
hr_interstellar_6.jpg
120 KB, 819x1280
Why does /tv/ and Reddit hate Interstellar so much?
>>
File: 1461914947176.jpg (10 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1461914947176.jpg
10 KB, 255x200
>>68961376
BECAUSE LOVE IS A PLOT POINT!

STICK TO THE FACTS ABOUT THEORETICAL WORMHOLE TRAVEL TO BLACKHOLE STAR SYSTEMS IN THE FUTURE WE DON'T GO TO MARS INSTEAD OF TRYING TO REBUILD THE BEST PLANET FOR US!

IDIOTS!

LOVE?

WHAT'S THAT GOT TO DO WITH IT!
>>
>>68961376
...i liked it
>>
>>68961376
It's boring and soulless and most of the things it does even remotely well are just inferior imitations of other works.

>cinematography is 2001
>score is Koyaanisquatsi
>Father-daughter across time and space thing was much more compelling in Contact and Gunbuster despite getting nowhere near as much fanfare

Also the praise that Nolan gets, despite not being his fault, is really irritating. Interstellar is a weak, boring movie that was praised as great science-fiction.

>>68961414
stupid plotfag
>bad science killed my immersion
I bet you think Prometheus sucks too.
>>
File: its not necessary.jpg (368 KB, 1917x893) Image search: [Google]
its not necessary.jpg
368 KB, 1917x893
>>68961376

> Love is the only thing that can travel through Black Holes.

at this point it went into the trash.
>>
>>68961376
I liked quite a lot. Shame it started off as somewhat reality based sci-fi but then after Matt Damon planet it just went full SCI-Fi.

Should`ve went with the alternative ending of killing him off and leaving humanity to slowly die off.
>>
File: 1461060685103.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1461060685103.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>68961414
DUDE THAT MARS MOVIE WITH BRYAN CRANSTON WAS GREAT

I LOVED THAT PART WHEN HE SAID "SCIENCE BITCH"
>>
>>68961453
Are you saying that Little House on the Prairie is trash-worthy? A movie subverting your expectations isn't a bad thing.
>>
Pretentious garbage
>>
File: 1462024234300.jpg (89 KB, 762x559) Image search: [Google]
1462024234300.jpg
89 KB, 762x559
Why do autists rag on the love plot point so much? It was meant to show that Murph would understand Cooper's message because of her love for her father and the ability to understand a seemingly irrational message.

Fucking retards.
>>
>>68961451
actually Neil DeGrasse Tyson said it would better to goto mars IF we really couldn't fix earth.
>>
>muh human are the master of their destiny
Literaly fedora-tier
>>
File: zach.gif (181 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
zach.gif
181 KB, 500x380
>>68961453
did you stop watching the movie half hour in?
>>
>>68961514
We're the only animal that can stop a meteor to earth.
>>
> Nolan claims all the science and black hole stuff is accurate.
> Once Cooper goes into the black hole it turns in a Magical Harry Potter Library

thats why its shit.
>>
>>68961503
I think you replied to the wrong post. Also
>Neil DeGrasse Tyson
The man thinks that because Reddit likes him he's an authority on anything that requires thought.

Also, towards the thread in general, learn to hate a fucking movie. If your only criticism is "muh plot, muh science" you don't know enough about movies to find any of the real flaws in Nolan's filmmaking, and that's fucking pathetic. There are so many real problems but these threads always focus on the ones that are so forgivable that I'm hesitant to even call them problems. 'The Old Man and the Sea' didn't describe 100% accurate fishing technique, does that make it shit?
>>
>>68961514
Nope, existentialist nihilism is fedora-tier, this is the opposite.
>>
why did the space colony have to be in space

the problem was the blight and a space colony that can survive in vacuum has to be sealed against the outside right

so why did they have to go anywhere

in fact wouldnt space make everything way harder
>>
>>68961451
>>68961463
>>68961414
no you fucking idiots love was the one thing that would make someone willingly enter the wormhole and tesseract. Thus being the most powerful motivator in the universe and it being critical for the survival of the human species it was quite something

the plothole was the brother not murdering chastain once he found out she burnt the farm down
>>
>>68961542
It was bullshit before that.

The whole first planet was nonsense.
>>
>>68961636
>the plothole was the brother not murdering chastain once he found out she burnt the farm down
A plothole is something illogical or inconsistent, you can't logically predict a murder. How a character acts can stretch your suspension of disbelief but is virtually never a plothole.

Also the first post you replied to didn't say anything about 'muh Love' not making sense.and actually seemed to agree with the point you're making.
>>
>>68961636
I'm glad someone posted this. I was getting tired of being the only person to ever point this out. Love isn't a literal force in the movie.
>>
because singularity bookshelves
>>
>>68961566
To escape the plant virus.
>>
>>68961786
How did being in space give them uninfected plants?
>>
>>68961786
but why did they have to leave the planet to do that

isnt the colony ship already a completely closed system regardless of where it is
>>
>>68961857
Well obviously not since they have space fighters that fly around and multiple stations they transfer people between.
>>
>>68961414
Are you fucking retarded? Can't you even understand a Chris "telling the audience everythin" Nolan movie? Love was not some nature law. It was what drove the people in the movie to do all the actions and things they did. Fucking idiot.
>>
The time travel grandfather paradox has been done to death.
>>
>>68961376

Because being contrarian makes you feel special.
>>
I liked it, it was an interesting piece od moving pictures, but that bookshelf shit was whack
>>
>>68961376
It has its flaws but the positives outweigh the negatives for me. I liked the acting, it has some of my favourite movie robots, and I'm rather fond of some of the sci-fi elements. That docking sequence was bullshit though.
>>
>>68962688

>the best scene in science-fiction of the last 10 years
>"bullshit"

Have you considered suicide?
>>
Only the dumbest kind of movie goers hated Interstellar.

>>68961451
The worst thing about the people who hated Interstellar is that they don't even understand why they hated it, so they spout bullshit like this in a sad attempt to seem as if they know what they are talking about.

Honestly that is one of the stupidest posts i've read in a long time, good job.
>>
>>68961376
I actually enjoyed it, sure the black hole/love/ghost crap is pretty shitty but other than that its a solid movie
>>
>>68962717
Have you considered the physics of orbital mechanics?
>>
>>68962717
it just went on and on and on
>>
>>68962802
you know goddamn well noone has
>>
>>68962952
this. nobody knows what they're talking about
>>
Nolan is a shit writer and all his dialogue is so on the nose that it's jarring and unrealistic.
>>
>>68961376

They don't
>>
File: 1461294656109.jpg (137 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461294656109.jpg
137 KB, 1080x1080
>>68963049
he's good at casting tho
>>
It's good to know that /tv/ and reddit are finally recognized as one.
>>
>>68962729
But that guy literally just explained why he dislikes it
>>
>>68963152
hot damn
>>
>>68961493
>>68961636
>>68962050
This

Also, even if you can't believe that and are still triggered by the love thing, it comes up literally two fucking times in the movie

The first one is Hathaway raving about love, which is just a personal opinion of hers; if you can't stand films where some characters have shit opinions you don't agree with then I don't know what to tell you, good luck finding something you like and good luck going on in real life

The second one was just TARS asking Coop how he would navigate the Tesseract and him responding "love, TARS, love"
THREE FUCKING WORDS
He could have said "the futurepeople arranged for that too" and you wouldn't have screamed about it like goddamn autists for the following five hundred years, but you just HAD to fucking project your retardation on a character that tries to explain an explicable event surrounding him using the tools that he knows
>>
It's mediocre in almost every aspect
>>
File: 042816-anne-hathaway-lead.jpg (57 KB, 622x350) Image search: [Google]
042816-anne-hathaway-lead.jpg
57 KB, 622x350
>>68963152
Agreed completely
best girl
>>
because reddit are fucking plebs and half of /tv/ are redditors

Interstellar is a masterpiece and will be revered in 50 years much more than 2001 currently is and much more deservingly so
>>
People always hang on the love plot line -while completely missing the point, as already addressed ITT- when there are so many things that make less sense. For one thing, take the 'us from the future'. If there are humans in the future using their technology to communicate back through time, then the species obviously doesn't die out, rendering the whole film moot. Okay, let's consider MUH MULTIVERSE, as it's the only possible way to make sense of this as, if humans were always going to die -which they were, as if they weren't Coop wouldn't have been contacted by himself in the first place- then obviously no one would exist in the future to do this. However, in this alternate reality, the only way for the future humans to exist would be if they hadn't been wiped out, and if they hadn't been wiped out then they obviously aren't connected to Coop's timeline. That being the case, what the fuck are they doing meddling with the species of Coop's dimension for, are they just such do-gooders that they spend their free time fixing the futures of every fuckillion dimensional variants of themselves? And, if they're that all-powerful, why the fuck wouldn't they just meddle a little further back and prevent the whole situation from occurring by addressing the root cause, rather than wait for things to be so fucked up that they have to convince one man to pull the existence of his entire species back from the precipice? Are these future, trans-dimensional humans a race of god-like fucking psychopaths?

It's pretzel logic.

Having said that, I do like Interstellar and think it's decent enough for you as a viewer to say, "Fuck it, I can live with a little pretzel logic."
>>
>>68964408
You wrote a wall of text to establish an obvious plot point which is a non-issue

It's just a stable timeloop, nothing too special, new or complicated; it's the point of many and many stories involving time travel.
Paradoxes are unsolvable by definition, and that's the appeal of time mechanics, the whole question is what makes them interesting in the first place
>>
Among all the fucking universe, the library of his house is in space. Woah, What an amazing coincidence!
Really?
>>
>>68964851
Interstellar is a fairly simple and linear film compared to others, but yet there are retards who still somehow managed to miss crucial, overexplained plot points, and on top of it all they still feel entitled to share their moronic opinion

Tell me, anon, how does it feel not to understand a movie that has been criticized countless times for pandering too much to its audience and explaining everything in a painfully obvious way?
>>
>>68961414
>LOVE?
>WHAT'S THAT GOT TO DO WITH IT!
WHATS LOVE GOT TO DO
GOT TO DO WITH IT
WHHHHHAAAAATSSS LOOOOOOOOVVE
>>
>>68965043
Do you mean it was a dream and he was actually dying?
>>
File: HOK1r26bsyo2_1280.png (525 KB, 580x483) Image search: [Google]
HOK1r26bsyo2_1280.png
525 KB, 580x483
>>68965167
>65167 ▶
>>>68965043 (You)
>Do you mean it was a dream and he was actually dying?

Yes, and he was in a coma all along
>>
>>68964226
This has to be bait
>>
>>68963152
Jesus saved in the foy folder.
>>
File: never ever.jpg (15 KB, 324x291) Image search: [Google]
never ever.jpg
15 KB, 324x291
>"muh moon landings"
>>
File: Fat Ogre Shit.webm (630 KB, 830x720) Image search: [Google]
Fat Ogre Shit.webm
630 KB, 830x720
>>68964189
>>
>>68961376
Reddit loves this shit
>>
>>68961376
I liked it a lot until

BECAUSE MAYBE LOVE CAN TRAVEL THROUGH GRAVITY

If they had left that one conversation out it would have been 2 points better on the /10 scale
>>
So if anyone here has ever read any classic science fiction book (anything by Dick, Heinlein, Clarke etc., Baxter's Manifold series would be something newer in the same vein) its very obvious that Interstellar was an attempt to recreate the way they would structure stories (the multiple tangentially intersecting plot lines that span time and space). Whether or not Nolan was successful in being able to put this on screen is a serious question, but it should be notes that he was clearly trying to emulate the feel of those older sorts of novels.

I cannot speak for anyone else but I think the problem with the film hails from a lot of lost expectations. I think Nolan attempted to sell it to us a hard-science fiction epic (closer to 2001). However once they go through worm hole all of the slowness and grounding in reality just sort of fades away.

Regardless if you see the film as being an attempt to bring to the screen the types of stories I mentioned above then I think many of the complaints fall away.
>>
How would the humans react if Brand ever return to the civilized world?

Would they consider her and her dad as traitor?
>>
>>68966812
>the multiple tangentially intersecting plot lines that span time and space
But interstellar doesn't have this at all. It's a singular straightforward plot line.
>>
> First Nolan movie with heart
> /tv/ hates it

gee, I wonder why
>>
>>68966812
And for anyone who is actually interested I recommend reading "Manifold: Time"; it is basically a better version of Interstellar's plot and it covers a lot of the same ideas
>>
>>68966991
It feels just about as hollow as every other Nolan film.
>>
File: 1397400277343.png (438 KB, 910x898) Image search: [Google]
1397400277343.png
438 KB, 910x898
>>68962050
>>68963589
>love apologists

Now I've seen everything.
>>
I actually thought it was a really solid movie until the last half hour or so. Once his daughter figures out that he's communicating with him from another dimension, I was really disappointed. It would've been better if he had just been banging on the wall between the rooms trying to get his daughters attention, but she fails to pick up on what it is because how the fuck would anyone be like "oh this banging on the wall must be my father trying to communicate from another dimension". But it just had to be a happy ending I guess. That's understandable, but I wish it didn't have to be like that
>>
>>68967161
Wow, you sure make a compelling point

He posted a laughing reaction pic people, the thread is closed now, there's no way to counter that
>>
File: hathaway.jpg (518 KB, 1667x2500) Image search: [Google]
hathaway.jpg
518 KB, 1667x2500
>>68965299
>ywn lick her suit clean after a long day of time travel
:/
>>
>>68967404
Yeah, the jump to the conclusion "it must be muh dad" doesn't quite convince, but they tried to make it work with the love thing that people are so autistic about: there isn't a straightforward reason for Murph to believe the ghost is her dad, but she makes a leap of faith trusting her love for him; that ability to go beyond logic, to think outside the rules of reason and to believe in our connection with other people is what ultimately saves the human race.

Also, more simply, it couldn't have been a bad ending because otherwise the paradox wouldn't work and the timeloop wouldn't be closed
>>
Christopher Nolan is a master of autism. His Batman trilogy was his first experiment, as he mastered advanced memetics, which culminated in The Dark Knight Rises opening sequence, a scene literally designed for autistic people to enjoy. Interstellar is different in approach. It's made to upset autistic people, and it succeeds in every regard. Its themes, it's dialogue, its acting, its plot; they all buttholeblast the autisimo just as successfully as BANE? stimulates their prostate. Bravo, Nolan! What's the next step of your master plan?
>>
>>68961376
Great individual scenes that are mixed poorly together.
Also crap ending.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.