[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he a pleb or patrician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Roger-Ebert_612x451.jpg (87 KB, 612x451) Image search: [Google]
Roger-Ebert_612x451.jpg
87 KB, 612x451
Was he a pleb or patrician?
>>
>>68888279
I don't know, you tell me

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-1999
>>
someone post the jaw webm pls
>>
>>68888279
High-level pleb. Knew more and was a better writer than many critics and presented himself well. This was enough back in the day, but now it's become the standard when it should have been the minimum.

Armond White has been to film school, seen more movies than all of /tv/ put together and writes reviews which provide appraisal of technical and aesthetic merits as well as political and social context and analysis. He's also more or less an outcast among the """"""""true"""""""" critics of our time, who wouldn't know a kino if it jumped up and bit them on the end of their fuckin' dicks. Who else but Armond could have appreciated and praised Pain & Gain on their first viewing?

Because of Ebert it's enough for a 'film critic' to be just 'I took a course in Journalism, The Avengers is awesome! Alejandro Inarritu is the smartest filmmaker who ever lived, truly the Kubrick of our time!'
>>
>>68888279
he was in the middle which is why he was great.

he could recognize art for art and entertainment for entertainment and wasn't a dick about either one.
>>
>>68888559
This. Neither genius nor buffoon, Roger Ebert was the "everyman" critic. That's why he was the best.

I miss you, you cranky old bastard.
>>
>>68888593
i miss you too.
>>
He bothered watching films made after 1960, so yeah he's a pleb.
>>
>>68888396
I remember him saying later that he revised his opinion later, after watching the RLM review.
>>
>>68888548
Only Armond could see the true worth in the patrician cinema of Jack & Gill and Transformers 2.

Armond is an entertainer. Once I saw him as an entertainer I could finally enjoy him.
>>
File: 1460085112527.png (1 MB, 590x797) Image search: [Google]
1460085112527.png
1 MB, 590x797
>>68888666
Quad-trips of ignorance. As shit as his films are on most levels Bay creates some of the best action spectacles in movie history. If you want big action what the hell else will you watch if not a Bay movie?

And I never actually saw Jack & Jill so I can't make much of a comment there, but I tend to like his views on comedies and I agree that stupid comedies like Jack & Jill can often do as much with themes like family life as your run of the mill shitty, 'no fun allowed our screenwriter is a super-serious writer 'drama movie that seem to never stop coming and then being forgotten forever within a month can.

Adam Sandler has his place in the world, like all things do, except you anon you fucking faggot.
>>
>>68888842
Armond is a contrarian who finds extremely convoluted reasons to like shitty movies. His articles are interesting and he has good insight but he's hardly a film critic, more a social commentator who occasionally writes inflammatory shit to stir people up.

Adam Sandler has no place in the world. He is the lowest common denominator, made for the worst of the peons, and every peon that laughs from his stupid fucking terrible movies is further degraded by them.

I agree on Bay though. I never had any issue with him, and was never disappointed because I knew what to expect. mostly. When Megatron was convinced to betray Sentinel Prime because the blonde model whore they found somewhere told him that he will be Prime's "bitch", I cringed so hard my face hurt.
>>
>>68889062
But what do you think of when he shits on popular movies? Is that him also being a contrarian or is he, as he says, 'giving them what they deserve?' [paraphrasing]
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.