[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are campy/comedic comicbook movies popular again? We seem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 346777.jpg (151 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
346777.jpg
151 KB, 850x850
Why are campy/comedic comicbook movies popular again? We seem to go in cycles, and Marvel's campy/comedy attitude has undoubtedly been more popular than DC's serious one in recent years.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 1200x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 1200x520
Imagine being Scarlett in that scene and having to be all like "damn, Joss Whedon, you fuckin' fine, all directing with your tight quips and horrific television framed shots. I would totally have you direct me, both my character and the real me." when all she really wants to do is fuck Elizabeth Olsen in her dressing room. Like seriously imagine having to be Scarlet and not only stand there while Joss Whedon directs his disgusting script in front of you, the favorable acting barely concealing the thrown in thor bath and hawkeyes unneeded family, and just stand there, take after take, hour after hour, while he perfected that quip. Not only having to tolerate his monstrous fucking visage but his gentlemanly attitude as everyone on set tells him he's STILL GOT IT and DAMN, JOSS WHEDON DIRECTS LIKE *THAT*?? because they're not the ones who have to stand there and watch him insert quips into scenes that you didnt even know people would think needed them. You've been directed by nothing but a healthy diet of Sofia Coppola and Jon Favearu and later the Russo Brothers for your ENTIRE CAREER coming straight out of the boonies in New York. You've never even seen anything this fucking disgusting before, and now you swear you can taste the euphoria that's breaking out on his fedora as he tips it at you, smugly assured that you are enjoying the opportunity to get paid to stand there and revel in his "progressive (for that is what he calls himself)" writing, the writing worked so hard for with SJW's in the previous months. And then he calls for another take, and you know you could kill every single person in this room before the Chris Evans could laugh his ass off, but you stand there and endure, because you're fucking Scarlett Johansson. You're not going to lose your future movie career over this. Just bear it. Hide your face and bear it.
>>
>>68124425
I find their shows to be the serious ones while the movies to be more campy. The movies are all right, but the netflix shoes are fantastic.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 716x401) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 716x401
>>68124509
Say that again
>>
>>68124425
Marvel isn't camp, it's fantasy. Camp was Batman and Robin
>>
>>68124425
It's because the very idea of superheroes is absolutely ridiculous and trying to make them dark and serious is just plain dumb.
It's supposed to be silly fun.
>>
>>68124525
Thats not really part of Marvel's canon cinematic universe, but i get your point.
>>
>>68124425
superheroes are inherently silly to some degree and have to be taken with a bit of ignoring of reality. Making it grim and gritty doesn't really do it any service.

Some heroes can be taken more realistically, like Daredevil and Batman, who beat up thugs in a given city. Thor, Superman, even Iron Man have potentially world changing power, so you have to handwave a bit of reality for them to make any sense at all without massive changes in the world.
>>
>>68124539
You say that and yet we always go into cycles. In a few years people will say Age of Quiptron was dumb like Batman Forever.
>>
>>68124624
But people are saying that it's dumb right now, and who ever liked Batman Forever?
>>
>>68124642
>>68124624
Batman forever wasn't bad, it was an ok movie
>>
>>68124685
It was a lot more popular until Batman Forever when a lot of people retroactively bashed it, mostly for being too campy.

One day the tide will change, Marvel will release a Batman Forever-tier comedy movie, and people will start bashing Ant-Man and Age of Ultron retroactively.
>>
>>68124685
It was horrible though, just tried watching it last month.
>>
>>68124706
Until Batman & Robin*
>>
>>68124425
>We seem to go in cycles
Anon it isn't so much the audience as it is the studios. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight made a lot of money because they weren't completely awful movies, they also had a little bit of a gritty more grounded feel to them than previous batman movies.

Studios think people are dumb/are dumb themselves, and go PEOPLE WANT TO SEE DARK AND GRITTY SUPER HEROES and they start pumping out a bunch of movies following the formula.

I mean same thing happened after pulp fiction came out, and we had almost a decade of uno farto-esque movies.
>>
>haha look how silly we are! we are guys in suits! I have an arrow! hahaha so dumb wink wink nudge nudge

I would have preferred a more serious tone but you're never going to get the quality film makers to do it and the public will reject it. If you want a serious superhero movie you have to get a hack like zack snyder or be okay with making no money.
>>
>>68124425
It's more fucking enjoyable. It's that simple. Comic book characters are silly and unrealistic. It doesn't need to be symobllic and gritty bullshit
>>
Because it's comfy you fucking pretentious twat.

Movies are made for entertainment and money. Period. Take your art house bullshit to Sundance where you all can pontificate on the artistic integrity of a 10 minute lesbian scissoring scene
>>
>>68124425
>campy/comedic
Try well made Anon. The Winter Soldier, The Dark Knight, neither are particularly campy or comedic and yet they're the two most popular and praised movies in the genre.
>>
>>68125108

Winter Soldier is about soldiers and nazis and Dark Knight was about a crazy masked vigilante and a crazy murderer.

That's the difference.
>>
File: 1427201515279.png (86 KB, 288x277) Image search: [Google]
1427201515279.png
86 KB, 288x277
>>68124962
The Nolan Batman movies.

Is your memory this shit?
>>
>>68125340

Batman isn't a superhero, though. He's a vigilante. It's like the Punisher. People see them differently. Nolan's movies were pretty much cop movies.
>>
> le quirky quip meme

It's a neat action movie with a few fun one-liners and jokey moments. Most of the time it's a serious movie.

That's how good blockbusters are made, they always have a little bit of something for everyone. Star Wars has a big combination of action, drama, romance, adventure and humor, that's what makes it so grea.

Even Nolan's Batman movies are not just mega-gritty super dark like Snyder's shitfests.
>>
>>68125108
I think Winter Soldier proved to have a wider appeal than just the normal "capeshit" audience. Also, being about Captain America it is easier to "scale down" and make a more realistic movie out of it.

The less powerful the superhero, the more "gritty" you can get. There is still a line though where things start to fall apart if you cross it. Where that line is depends on the characters involved.
>>
>>68124470
This doesn't work because Scarlett is equally shit. She's possibly the most overrated sex symbol ever.
>>
File: damaged.png (97 KB, 735x608) Image search: [Google]
damaged.png
97 KB, 735x608
>>68125480
HA NICE TRY MARVELKEK
DELETE THIS
>>
>>68125535
This. I don't give a fuck about Black Widow, she just annoys me every time she's on camera.
>>
>>68125045
This. I like Marvel movies because they're entertaining as hell. There hasn't really been a bad movie in the MCU yet, apart from Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.